Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet 8gb to be sold @ Walmart

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/nook-tablet-coming-to-walmart-with-less-storage-and-lower-price/

This was just a rumor but seems to have picked up steam. There are a number of reliable tech sources who have picked up the story so it seems credible. Guess we will have to wait & see. Had this been done when the NT first came out last Nov it might have made some sense. Now trying to compete on price with Amazon just seems stupid. The KF is being sold @ a price that is only a few dollars more then its manufacturing cost. The KF is a subsidized product. As long as it serves its purpose which is to serve as a portal to all things Amazon & grow sales overall while growing market share for Kindle they don't care. They are not saddled with BN operational costs for their brick & mortar stores & are, in general, a much more nimble company with deeper pockets. Their move with the pricing of KF was an offensive stiike that has bought them a huge growth in market share. If BN really does this, strategically, it is the weakest move they could make as it is reactionary. They will cannabilze any market they had for the NC.. Temporarily they will have to lower the price which will have a ripple effect through the product line. They are also going to have some very uphappy customers who bought the Nook color instead of the NT just a few months ago to  save $50. Under these circumstances I don't see much of a future for the NC & predict it will be phased out, probably sooner rather than later.

Hope THIS is not THE new Nook product we've been kinda sorta hearing about. Frankly it would seem like developing a unique product for the burgeoning educational market that could be sold in volume to schools @ a low price point would have made more sense & showed more innovation. Also, good knows there are enough kiddie apps & games in & kid/teen content to develop, when combines with the Nook Study app a age specific consumer product. Right now there is nothing like that in the market & I think it would sell well.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet 8gb to be sold @ Walmart

Based on your logic, people who bought the NC to save a few bucks should be hopping mad now since BN is selling the NT on ebay for $199 (while supplies last).

Yes, obviously the NC is being phased out.  It was long in the tooth last fall when they announced the NT and is getting more so by the day.  BN obviously isn't going to spend its resouces keeping muliple OS's going and they have chosen not to base the new NC firmware on Gingerbread like the NT and instead keep it Froyo.  I would guess we have seen the last NC update and they will announce EOL by June.

As far as the 8gb NT, I agree.  Stupid with a capital "S".  Competing with a deep pockets competitor on price is not smart.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I think you missed the point. There is a differnece between a temporary price drop on a limited promotion basis & what I'm talkig about here which has more lasting repercussions & almost guarantees obsolesence of a fairly recent purchase. BTW you can also get a new NC for $125 on ebay a friend of mine got 2. 

Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

Barnes & Noble announces $199 Nook Tablet aimed at Kindle Fire

Nook Color price moved to $169, NT-lite is $200, NT remains at $250.

As far as the supposed hordes of angry Nook Color buyers ~ you buy electronic hardware, you expect it to come down in price. Components get cheaper, newer rivals come out with more advanced hardware, the original R&D gets paid off ... obviously there will be a flurry of hyperventilating on various online forums, because a lot of people have the hobby of hyperventilating online, but seriously ... duh!

If you want to buy hardware when its cheapest, save all your money until the day you die and buy it then. Of couse, you don't get the use of it that way ... people who bought the NC new at $200 when the Fire was already out at the same price were deciding they didn't want to wait for the coming price cut, they wanted the hardware before Christmas.

Mind, I got my Nook Color refurbished for $150.

I think its a clever move. Making the Nook Tablet-lite the same price as the Kindle Fire is saying "well, if you want to save the money and buy a less capable unit, we'll sell you one at the same price as the Kindle Fire but with a microSD slot". Its the only way they could maintain the original Nook Tablet price point.

And dropping the Nook Color to $170 means that the Nook Color will still be cheaper than the Kindle Fire after the Kindle Fire gets its first price cut.

But now that the NC is  $170, I definitely have to get Crunchyroll to get their app in the B&N store ~ the $30 off the more open Kobo Vox is going to be an appreciated price difference for anime fans, and the Nook Comics format is the next best thing for manga to plunking down $500 and getting an iPad.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

Barnes & Noble announces $199 Nook Tablet aimed at Kindle Fire

Nook Color price moved to $169, NT-lite is $200, NT remains at $250.

As far as the supposed hordes of angry Nook Color buyers ~ you buy electronic hardware, you expect it to come down in price. Components get cheaper, newer rivals come out with more advanced hardware, the original R&D gets paid off ... obviously there will be a flurry of hyperventilating on various online forums, because a lot of people have the hobby of hyperventilating online, but seriously ... duh!

If you want to buy hardware when its cheapest, save all your money until the day you die and buy it then. Of couse, you don't get the use of it that way ... people who bought the NC new at $200 when the Fire was already out at the same price were deciding they didn't want to wait for the coming price cut, they wanted the hardware before Christmas.

Mind, I got my Nook Color refurbished for $150.

I think its a clever move. Making the Nook Tablet-lite the same price as the Kindle Fire is saying "well, if you want to save the money and buy a less capable unit, we'll sell you one at the same price as the Kindle Fire but with a microSD slot". Its the only way they could maintain the original Nook Tablet price point.

And dropping the Nook Color to $170 means that the Nook Color will still be cheaper than the Kindle Fire after the Kindle Fire gets its first price cut.

But now that the NC is  $170, I definitely have to get Crunchyroll to get their app in the B&N store ~ the $30 off the more open Kobo Vox is going to be an appreciated price difference for anime fans, and the Nook Comics format is the next best thing for manga to plunking down $500 and getting an iPad.

I don't think people are as much concerned about the recent price drop on the NC as they are about the fact that they bought something just a few months ago that will most likely be phased out in the new future. That means an additional software upgrade is unlikely, including a fix to "glitches" caused by the last one. When a product gets phased out is there also going to be less interest in developing apps for it & less tech support. In time this board will also vanish as there will be fewer users as people upgrade or buy something else. Nothing remains the "new thing" for long & technology marches on. I did not pay $199 for my NC either & it is not a refurb. Regardless of the price I did not think I was purchasing something that was headed toward obsolescence within a matter of months.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

Three tablet choices for Nook...two that are cheaper than the Fire. So long as BN can afford it, that's a good move. Tech products and automobiles--either purchase will ALWAYS be outdated and replaced within a year of the day you purchase, always with something better and frequently cheaper as well. Why are people surprised by this?
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

seacitylady wrote:

I don't think people are as much concerned about the recent price drop on the NC as they are about the fact that they bought something just a few months ago that will most likely be phased out in the new future. That means an additional software upgrade is unlikely, including a fix to "glitches" caused by the last one. When a product gets phased out is there also going to be less interest in developing apps for it & less tech support. ...

Where was the announcement that suggests that the NC is going to be phased out in the near term future? The announcement I read suggests that they are trying to bracket the Kindle Fire with a more modest tablet (the NC) selling below the Kindle Fire price point, an equivalent tablet (the NT-lite) selling at the Kindle Fire price point and a more capable tablet (the original NT) selling above the Kindle Fire price point.

Given that pricing strategy, why would they phase the Nook Color out? They've set up "I got that, and I got better, and I got cheaper" ... and the NC is the "I got cheaper" part.

They are still a bookstore, and the Nook Color is the baseline hardware for multimedia nook books and for Nook Comics. As far as development of apps "for" the Nook Color, the apps themselves are being developed for the Android market as a whole, and then how many will jump through the extra hoops of the B&N SDK will be decided by the total number of Nook Color and Tablet 8G and Tablet 16G sold. If an app runs on the Color ~ as many will do, since 7" Froyo is an upgrade from a 4" or 5" smartphone running Froyo ~ they'll list it as a Color app.

Now, given the processor, a lot of the streaming video apps may be 360p, since the NC is happier with 480p video when it doesn't also have to decode DRM on the fly ... but that's fine, people who "need" 720p video downscaled to 600p to get the absolute sharpest possible picture are in the NT market segment anyway.

Now, maybe by 2013 we'd expect it to be phased out and replaced with some lower power consumption Nook Color 2 with longer battery life and a lower production cost ~ maybe a front-lit single LED version with that new front-lighting thin film technology ~ but there's no reason to expect the Nook Color capability set to be going away, when the next version can be positioned to eventually take the capability set down to the $100 price point. And until the capability set goes away, the business incentive is there to support the installed base to maintain the demand in the app store.

Now, if a version of an NC hits that magic $100 price point, that's when we'd expect the next step is for it to be phased out, since from there you have a strong incentive is to upgrade the feature set at the $100 price point, which means roll the Nook Tablet capability set into that price point.

Anyway, there's nothing in the announcement suggesting that there is any reason to expect the NC tier to go away in the near term future ... and it will still be supported by developers even after it has gone into maintenance mode at B&N. If B&N has sold enough NC & NT tablets in the interim, it is likely to be better supported a couple of years from now than it is now, when the B&N app store is just picking up, eg, some browser alternatives to the stock browser.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

what was the original price on the NC when it first came out - and when was that actually shipped ?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

what was the original price on the NC when it first came out - and when was that actually shipped ?

$250, shipped 16 November 2010. It was a glorified e-reader with some web browsing abilities at first, but with the firmware update to FroYo that provided email, added Flash to the browser and the app store released 25 April 2011. Price cut to $200 with the introduction of the $250 Nook Tablet, and now to $170 with the introduction of the $200 Nook Tablet 8G.

But will panicking is always in vogue on internet forums, gGiven an installed base of over 5m+ Nook Colors by now, it makes all the sense in the world for Nook Color to be replaced by another 800MHz ARM device with a more energy efficient display allowing both longer battery life and a smaller, lighter battery. 7" 1024x600 AMOLED is just rolling out in the first products this year, and the first product introduction of Mirasol was in a 5" screen, so its not likely to be scaled up to 7" 1024x600 yet. One or the other as a genuine Nook Color 2 ~ same processor, same RAM, same flash capacity ~ would make a quite sensible November 2013 product launch.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

All of this is conjecture & only time will tell. IMHO the replacement for the Nook Color was released on Wed. I would think the next step up would be a 10" tablet. with retention of the current price points for the NT16 & NT8. You make some good arguments but once this takes place there would bo longer be a need to retain the NC & potentially have to take another hit in pricing that will trickle down through the rest of the product line. With the NT8 as the new baseline tablet the lines will become much less blurred as to what is a tablet & what is not. Once this distinction is made in consumers minds pricing could be stablized @ least until the next new, new thing comes along. Because it is rootable the current Nook Color model will still have buyers & it will live on in ebay stores @ reduced pricing or perhaps even have a place in a new market overseas. Support will continue to the extent of warranty but I do not foresee another software upgrade. The NC is 2 yrs old & running on technology that is getting old in the tooth. I have a NC & love it but all good things must end. Again, this is just my opinion & I was not suggesting this will occur in the next few months. From an investors stand point the introduction of the NT 8gb was a good move & helped to keep the stock price up. While intended or coincidental it also might have served to speed up a move that would eventually have to take place in due time.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

seacitylady wrote:

All of this is conjecture & only time will tell. IMHO the replacement for the Nook Color was released on Wed. I would think the next step up would be a 10" tablet. with retention of the current price points for the NT16 & NT8. You make some good arguments but once this takes place there would bo longer be a need to retain the NC & potentially have to take another hit in pricing that will trickle down through the rest of the product line.  ...

Much of this is conjecture, but I don't think its all conjecture.

I certainly do not agree with the conjecture that they were "forced to take a hit" in pricing on the Nook Color. To me if looks far more like a deliberate strategic decision. And if they were not "forced to take a hit", then the danger of a being "forced to take another hit" is jumping at our own shadows.

For one thing, its not conjecture that Amazon is the market leader in this segment. And its not conjecture that the pricing that was announced was one product less capable product undercutting the market leader's price point by $30, one product roughly equivalent at the market leader's price point and one more capable priced at a $50 premium.

So I conjecture that B&N has played their cards, and the play that they've gone for is the NT-main as the performance leader, the NT-lite as the direct rival to the Kindle Fire, and the Nook Color as the price leader.

If that conjecture is correct, then the NT-lite is, by market definition, not the replacement for the Nook Color in their product line, because you can't be the price matching direct rival to the market leader and the budget price leader at the same time. Its like in football sending the same player as both wide receiver and slot receiver ~ they start from different places and run different routes, so they can't be played by the same guy in the same play.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Sorry but the Nook Color is MORE capable than the Kindle Fire, not less.  The only thing the KF has on the NC is the slightly faster processor -- which isn't important in the primary purpose of either product (reading) -- and the NC doesn't have its power button on the bottom of the device.  In my book, the micro-SD option is worth far far more than 20% faster CPU.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to say BN was "forced" to reduce the price of the NC.  They reduced its price twice inside 4 months (from $249 to $199 and now $169).  If that was their "plan" it was a bad one.  The fact that they reduced its price so soon after having just dropped it a few months ago definitely implies a tactical shift to respond to the market and competition rather than following some master plan.

As far as EOL for the NC, that is obviously in the cards.  BN will likely EOL it by June since they won't want to keep developing 2 differrent operating systems.  The NT 8gb IS the replacement for the NC (same price and basically the same specs expect a slightly better processor).  This allows BN to concentrate it's development efforts on one OS going forward.

That doesn't mean the NC won't be "supported" just that going forward there won't be any new features added.  Maybe if we are lucky there will be one more final update to fix bugs but I doubt it (they never bothered to fix features on the N1E that never worked right before mothballing it)

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

[ Edited ]

Omnigeek wrote:

Sorry but the Nook Color is MORE capable than the Kindle Fire, not less.  The only thing the KF has on the NC is the slightly faster processor -- which isn't important in the primary purpose of either product (reading) -- and the NC doesn't have its power button on the bottom of the device.  In my book, the micro-SD option is worth far far more than 20% faster CPU.

The "primary purpose of either product (reading)" ... that's not true for a large number of Kindle Fire buyers. They are buying it as a media tablet. Unless you are reading color Comics or Magazines, an eInk device is a better special purpose reading device ~ easier on the eyes, battery life measured in days rather than hours.

As far as the microSD option ~ the people where that is the swing factor are already on the B&N side. The people were the ability to play higher resolution video and the ability browse the web in PC mode with fewer lags, they are the ones who were deciding between the $200 Kindle Fire and the $250 Nook Tablet, and they are the ones that the Nook Tablet 8G is targeting ~  same basic specs and price, so now the microSD and microphone are extra checklist features at the same price.

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

I don't think it is unreasonable at all to say BN was "forced" to reduce the price of the NC. They reduced its price twice inside 4 months (from $249 to $199 and now $169). If that was their "plan" it was a bad one. The fact that they reduced its price so soon after having just dropped it a few months ago definitely implies a tactical shift to respond to the market and competition rather than following some master plan.

It is certainly unfair to say they were "forced" to reduce the price twice. The first price was clearly planned, and if the Kindle Fire had been priced less aggressively, so that the Nook Color at $200 and the Nook Tablet at $250 bracketed the Kindle Fire, B&N could well have stood pat. With the Kindle Fire priced at $200, B&N had to respond.

&npbsp;

Whether they are doing a Wee Willie Keeler and "hitting them where they aint", that depends on manufacturing costs. We know that $200 for the Nook Color was not as aggressive as $200 for the Kindle Fire, but we don't know how aggressive $200 was for a Nook Color. Its quite possible that the Nook Color at $170 is less aggressive than the NT8G at $200.

&npbsp;

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

As far as EOL for the NC, that is obviously in the cards. BN will likely EOL it by June since they won't want to keep developing 2 differrent operating systems.

That's where we get into conjecture. Further operating system development is not necessary on the NC product line with the current hardware, so further operating system development on the product line assumes an successor to the current hardware. Given the NC positioning, that would have to be a successor with a substantially lower BOM than the Nook Tablet.

&npbsp;

What makes the EOL of the Nook Color conjecture is the market reaction to the NC at $170 MSRP. If that moves units, B&N is not going to drop hardware that expands their installed base of B&N store media tablets at a price point that Amazon cannot match. If the NC languishes at that price, you're more likely to chase the $200 price point and not work toward the $150 price point.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

Bruce, you are obviously a smart guy but give it up! There are a lot of smart people who post to these boards & that makes for some interesting discussions. It's really OK for people to have divergent opinions & they should not be mocked or bludgeon with words if they don't agree with your point of view. It is not necessary to always be right or try & prove you are the smartest guy in the room. It is just tiresome. When I said "It's all conjecture" I meant ALL of it - mine, yours & everyone elses. Only time will tell who is right & in the mean time there are certainly more earth shaking events to "jaw" about.  

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

seacitylady wrote:

Bruce, you are obviously a smart guy but give it up!  ...It is just tiresome.

Regarding the notion that because there is an element of conjecture, there is no basis for reasoned discussion, I think its nonsense. Indeed, I obviously respected the arguments made by Nom-de-Nook and Omnigeek sufficiently to explain my disagreements with them in depth.

Regarding your position that we are all allowed to have divergent opinions as long as we shut up and stop discussing a topic when you find reasoned disagreement tiresome ... if you find my response to you too tiresome to respond to, not responding would work. If you find my responses to Nom-de-Nook and Omnigeek too tiresome to bother with, no bothering with them would work.

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

YAWN..................No one has suggested anyone "shut up" only that people be allowed to express an opinion that diverges from your own without a verbal onslaught. If you noticed neither of the two people you mentioned (who did have something to say) have responded to your "response." In the general scheme of things this is naval lint. Do carry on if you enjoy the sound of one hand clapping.

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

Blink... Blink...  ZZZZZZ.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

seacitylady wrote:

YAWN..................No one has suggested anyone "shut up" only that people be allowed to express an opinion that diverges from your own without a verbal onslaught. ....

"Now trying to compete on price with Amazon just seems stupid." ~ that's something that I find interesting to dig into. This discussion about discussion, OTOH, is boring, so you can rephrase "shut up" any way that floats your boat, I'm not going to pay it much mind.