Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez

Nook Tablet Holiday Return Policy - Encountered Negative Experience at my local B&N!

Wow, here I was hyped to think that at least B&N would be fair to those of us unhappy with the Nook Tablet by honoring their special "holiday return policy".  Well it's not as easy as it sounds....

This evening I visited my local B&N store in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and had my NT in its box with the cable and charger plus the receipt.  I unfortunately decided to walk up to the desk with the large "customer service" sign above and the two sales/help staff behind the counter.  When I informed them that I was there to return my NT they were a little blown away and the man who decided to help me seemed to be irritated as heck.

We walked to the front cash wrap area and when I handed over my bag with the box, device and receipt he took a look and informed me that he could not refund the purchase of the NT.  He said he could only exchange it and when I showed him the holiday return policy (which I pulled up on my phone) he then said he could give me a store credit.  Huh???  What the heck????

When pressed he indicated that the unit was purchased with two gift cards and I agreed, I used two of three B&N gift cards.  He said that items purchased with gift cards can't be refunded except as a store credit.  Weird????

At this point he was increasingly rude to me as I was genuinely surprised and I kept reviewing the return policy and found no such mention.  Anyway when I asked for the store manager or his supervisor he informed me that he is "the acting store manager and as such, he does not have the authority to override company policy".  That is just dumb........I thought managers are enpowered to help customers so what was holding him up?

He told me that I should return on Monday and see the "official store manager" to see if he would decide to reconsider the situation.  And then he handed back the bag and walked away.  No good evening, no thank you, no nothing...

I called the 1-800 number on the holiday return policy page and was connected to technical support and a very polite man named Victor.  He was pretty surprised to hear about the situation and decided that he would issue a return box and number so I could ship the unit back and then expect a refund check (two to three weeks).  I thanked him but explained I was in need of my refund right away (planned on purchasing a tablet this weekend......Samsung Galx on sale) so he made notations on my account and advised me to see the manager on Monday.  He stood behind the return policy and B&N and assured me the store manager would be able to help.  If not, then I was entitled to the mail back return process.

Help.  How can I get attention regarding this matter and get my money back before Saturday night?  And where can I turn to so that I can make management aware that not all "acting managers" lack policy information???

I am very disappointed but you know, it was almost too good to be true to expect B&N's generous holiday return policy be honored by some store personnel. 

Frustrated......and disappointed.  Any suggestions?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

Re: Nook Tablet Holiday Return Policy - Encountered Negative Experience at my local B&N!

For store returns we are physically unable (literally, the POS will not allow it any other way)  to give anything other than a gift card (store credit) if you purchased the item with gift cards.

Correspondent
MuseK

Re: Nook Tablet Holiday Return Policy - Encountered Negative Experience at my local B&N!

You may want to check general return policy. I have workked retail on and off for years. Usually holiday policies extend the timeframe allowed but does not change form of payment.if you paid cash or check,cash is given if enough time has past for check to clear. If paid by charge card the charge is reversed. If paid by gift card( in essence stote credit) store credit is given back for return. This is a policy not just solo for BN. Some chains do it this way others do not.
Wordsmith
moose_tracker

Yes but if he paid part in cash, part in gift card shouldn't he get refunde part in cash, part in store credit?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

moose_tracker wrote:

Yes but if he paid part in cash, part in gift card shouldn't he get refunde part in cash, part in store credit?

No. If any part of the transaction was on a BN gift card it will only allow the return to be put onto a gift card.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Sorry, but if you paid with two B&N gift cards then you should be refunded with gift cards or store credit...this is a separate issue from the holiday return policy for the nook tablet, in my opinion. The only time I have heard of getting cash out of a gift card is if the balance remaining after a purchase was less than $5.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

NormysMom,

> if you paid with two B&N gift cards then you should be refunded with gift cards or store credit...this is a separate issue from the holiday return policy for the nook tablet, in my opinion. <

The impression I got was that only a portion was paid with gift cards, not the whole thing.  If it were, then I would agree with you.

However, FT has indicated that it's store policy to refund only credit, if any part of a purchase is with a gift card.  I certainly was unaware of that, and think it's a really lousy policy.

gilgomez may have no option other than shipping his NT back and waiting weeks for his check, unless the Manager he speaks to on Monday is willing to violate store policy and make an exception.  I'm surprised the person he talked to by phone wasn't aware of that, since FT was.

- Mark

mohawkx

I think FlyingToaster should get a raise.  He's extremely knowledgeable, competent and loyal to his employer.  My hat's off to FT.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

I agree with what I think Mark's suggesting - the part paid for with cards should go back on cards, the part paid for with cash should come back as cash. 

This is the sort of tussle that Alex is sometimes able to intercede in, but if you do engage BN central, eitehr via Alex or via phone, there probably will be a delay.

Or, Alex may already be getting someone to call the acting  manager, since the location was ID'ed, to straighten things out. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

This is a very normal return policy that I've run into at many many stores.  As another poster said, they generally refund in the same form as the payment.  I've run into this a number of times when returning something purchased with other than cash.  I believe that this is partially an method to stop consumers from turning gift cards into cash.  Example, I get a gift card for somewhere I never shop, so I go buy something, then return it and get cash.  Most gift cards clearly state not redeemable for cash.

Recently at Best Buy, I used reward dollars as partial payment and then decided to return the item. They were willing to put the part charged on the cc back to the cc, but would only put the reward dollars back into my reward account, and it would take several weeks for this to happen.  Since I needed to buy ink for my printer, we did an exchange where the reward dollars were used to pay for the ink, but they wouldn't simply refund the reward dollars as money, and frankly, I didn't expect them to.

The fact the store manager was rude and didn't know or couldn't adequately explain the policy is bad CS, but expecting to get cash back when something was paid with a gift card is unrealistic.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

So the mantra of "if you don't like it, return it" leads to an even more frustrated customer. If all or part of the purchase was in the form of a gift card, the customer's entire investment is effectively stranded with B&N. While I can understand the retail side of this, I don't think it's going to help alleviate the frustrations of those who get stuck.

gilgomez

I thank you ALL for your honest feedback even if I didn't like some of the answers. 

After going over things (I can't stop thinking about this now....) I sincerely feel caged in by B&N.  Honestly, I did NOT know about this gift card return angle and was not informed of it when I purchased my NT.  I can't find anything on my receipt that states I should be stuck with a store credit and would have not have used my gift cards to purchase the unit if I was made aware.

Listen, I have been a very loyal customer of B&N for years and have purchased too many ebooks to count.  Actually, if I had know about the policy ahead of time I would simply use my gift cards for more ebooks and apps.  I am dismayed to think I am stuck with a product that doesn't meet my needs as it really isn't a tablet.  My NT is a wonderful ereader, the best on the market IMHO but I bought it under the impression it would be more tablet.  My bad.....stupid me............

So if anyone reading this has the power or ability or inclination to help me resolve the matter....please, PM me!  If there is any way someone can intervene on my behalf I would be very grateful.  I would even be willing to leave $100 in store credit but that amount or more would really give me heartburn and hardship.  I need a Tablet to use for work that also has a display as good or better than the NT for reading.  I LOVE to read!

Thanks again to all for your honest feedback and support.  If anyone can help me out PLEASE PM me!

Have a great day..............

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

I would argue that policy also..  

If I buy something for $100 and $50 is paid in cash and $50 is paid on a ccard. Do you give me all cash? Or refund it all back to me on my ccard?

If I buy something for $100 and $50 is paid on ccard A and $50 is paid on a ccard B. Do refund it all on ccard A? Or refund it all back to me on my ccard B?

I am quite sure in other stores, if I split a purchase I got back each portion in the currancy form that I used.. I would have expected the same in gift cards..

Is there a written policy that the consumer can see stating that ?  I gave my son gift cards, I will make sure he knows about it when he is down to finishing it off and uses 50 cents to finish off the gift card,  make sure it is not on an expensive item, or make sure he is certain it will not be returned...

Contributor
Fred67

[ Edited ]

Sorry I can't help, but I do understand the policy to refund in the same manner it was paid.  toaster's statement about having to get it ALL on cards if part was paid in cash is just ridiculous, though.  I mean, not toaster, but that policy.  If you paid part in cash, you should get that part back in cash.

Very often gift cards are given as rewards or sold at discounts.  I don't get B&N cards, but I work in television and advertisers often make arrangements to pay my company less for advertising by offering products to company employees at discounts, including up to 25% off on gift cards.  If I could then turn around and manage to get it in cash (by buying and returning a product), it would be like free money from that company and people would abuse it and cost that advertiser a lot of headache and financial loss.

I had a problem with a sears.com order (where I used gift cards that I got at discount).  I am annoyed because I bought the gift cards specifically to buy this item, and had a problem with their online marketplace vendor.  They refunded the money back on gift cards... but at the moment sears has nothing I want, so I'm stuck, but I can't really blame them.

Look at it this way, though, the B&N ebook store is still there for you when you buy your Samsung tablet.  The first thing we did after getting the new tablets was install the Nook App, so you still have a way to spend that money; I understand why you're upset, though, and why you don't want it tied up with B&N when your immediate problem is getting the Samsung... sorry, I don't know what to say, but I find it hard to fault B&N (except the not giving back cash part... I mean, really, if I had $10 left on an old gift card and paid $240+tax and was told I had to get the whole amount back on gift card I would be furious).

I also feel bad for you for your experience in the store.  It took some time for me, around 30 minutes (after all, I was returning three of them), but they didn't hassle me about it.  That's unacceptable.  Hopefully there's at least a survey or something you can take, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it up a notch and write someone in their customer service department.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

I just wanted to point out that FlyingToaster stated that the POS wouldn't allow a return as anything other than gift card/store credit when any part was paid by gift card.

In this case POS does not mean "Piece of Sh**", it means "Point Of Sale" system and is the computer system that runs the cash reregisters and accounting at B&N stores. If there is no way to get the system to process a cash refund, and the acting manager had no password to override the system, then there was nothing he could do for the customer.

Yes, just turning and walking away from the customer is rude, however I'm sure give the description we were given of the interaction (pulling out the return policy and asking the employee to point to the line that says returns will be store credit), that at some point the conversation was becoming heated.

Telling the customer "I'm sorry" and to come back when the manager was in was the best he could do.

Correspondent
KLFL
0 Kudos

I encountered the same rude behavior at the Palm Beach Gardens store several months ago, maybe by the same manager. I hope someone calls it to his attention.
bobstro

[ Edited ]

gilgomez wrote:

[...] Listen, I have been a very loyal customer of B&N for years and have purchased too many ebooks to count.  Actually, if I had know about the policy ahead of time I would simply use my gift cards for more ebooks and apps.

The situation may be even more sinister than your problems with returning your Tablet. To the best of my knowledge, your purchased B&N ebooks and subscriptions are protected by DRM for which your only option today is to use a B&N reader. If you purchase another Android device, even with the B&N Nook Android app, you are not, at least today, able to read enhanced content books or subscriptions (e.g. Conde Nast magazines).

If B&N deign to upgrade the Nook Android reader app with 1.4.1-like functionality, some of the last arguments in favor of the Nook Color and Tablet fall away. If they don't, you're stuck using those devices, and only those devices, to read some of what you've purchased over the years as a loyal customer.

I am dismayed to think I am stuck with a product that doesn't meet my needs as it really isn't a tablet.  My NT is a wonderful ereader, the best on the market IMHO but I bought it under the impression it would be more tablet.  My bad.....stupid me............ 

Doubly frustrating knowing that there is no technical reason it can't be exactly what you wanted it to be. It's a great little tablet, and lacking cameras, gps and bluetooth, it still hits the sweet spot for functionality -- at least hardware-wise.

B&N has decided to force you to use only their Market, and yet has failed to stock that Market with an adequate number of apps to meet your needs. I was appalled to read in one of the comic reader threads that they apparently feel it is the customer's responsibility to demand to publishers that they port their software to the B&N Market, rather than actively pursue relationships with the publishers of top titles themselves. It's a real shame.

So if anyone reading this has the power or ability or inclination to help me resolve the matter....please, PM me!  If there is any way someone can intervene on my behalf I would be very grateful.  I would even be willing to leave $100 in store credit but that amount or more would really give me heartburn and hardship.  I need a Tablet to use for work that also has a display as good or better than the NT for reading.  I LOVE to read! 

I'm sorry to hear of the red tape you've run into. I'm afraid I can't fix anything, but only offer sympathy. I may be about to bail on the Nook platform myself, at least for my needs. Unfortunately, if I'm going to carry around something as large as the Nook, it needs to perform at least a few more functions. In my case, giving the Nook as a gift to a family member is probably my best bet. Ideally, one who'll be able to hack it as needed to get continued use out of it in future years. 

Good luck!

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

moose_tracker wrote:

I would argue that policy also..  

If I buy something for $100 and $50 is paid in cash and $50 is paid on a ccard. Do you give me all cash? Or refund it all back to me on my ccard?

If I buy something for $100 and $50 is paid on ccard A and $50 is paid on a ccard B. Do refund it all on ccard A? Or refund it all back to me on my ccard B?

I am quite sure in other stores, if I split a purchase I got back each portion in the currancy form that I used.. I would have expected the same in gift cards..

Is there a written policy that the consumer can see stating that ?  I gave my son gift cards, I will make sure he knows about it when he is down to finishing it off and uses 50 cents to finish off the gift card,  make sure it is not on an expensive item, or make sure he is certain it will not be returned...

In cases like you've cited at stores other than B&N, I've had my entire return credited to my card.  I did NOT get cash back even though part of the original purchase was made in cash.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

That is strange, It has been a while, but when I did it, it was 2 ccards.. And the correct amount had to be returned on each card..

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

I've never heard of getting cash back when something is purchased with a gift card, it's always refunded to store credit or another gift card,  as far as my experience has been.   The OP should be refunded the part he paid in cash as cash and the part he paid using a gift card as another giftcard,  IMHO.   That way he is made whole as to where he was before his Nook purchase.