New User
Altesse7
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet Issues, before a year old

I got my Nook in April, 2012. Loved it, immediately! Worked out great for me.

Recently, in July, 2012, the charger for my Nook, wouldn't work. I plugged it in, the light came on, but the Nook, it's self, wouldn't charge, I have a warranty, so, B&N sent me a replacement wire and plug, free.

It worked perfect untill, last week. Sept.1,2012. It happened again.  I got another replacement sent to me.

I plugged it into my laptop, tried different wall outlets, nothing. This time, the screen, while plugged in was going from "will charge in 15 min," to plug into an outlet." I called, and they decide to send me a replacement NOOK. Suppose to get it, tomorrow. Was on the phone with the yesterday. Their customer service is amazing!!!

Not happy I had to have replacements, before a year of having the product. I treate it so nice. Never dropped it. I got stick on me a lot. I didn't use a card or have many things on it. Pretty disappointed.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet Issues, before a year old

Altesse7 wrote:

I got my Nook in April, 2012. Loved it, immediately! Worked out great for me.

Recently, in July, 2012, the charger for my Nook, wouldn't work. I plugged it in, the light came on, but the Nook, it's self, wouldn't charge, I have a warranty, so, B&N sent me a replacement wire and plug, free.

It worked perfect untill, last week. Sept.1,2012. It happened again.  I got another replacement sent to me.

I plugged it into my laptop, tried different wall outlets, nothing. This time, the screen, while plugged in was going from "will charge in 15 min," to plug into an outlet." I called, and they decide to send me a replacement NOOK. Suppose to get it, tomorrow. Was on the phone with the yesterday. Their customer service is amazing!!!

Not happy I had to have replacements, before a year of having the product. I treate it so nice. Never dropped it. I got stick on me a lot. I didn't use a card or have many things on it. Pretty disappointed.

Solid state electronic devices are subject to unexpected failures.  It is called the "infant mortality" problem because the failures usually occur within the first several months after a device in put into use.  Manufacturers try their best to prevent such failures via various manufacturing and QA procedures, but it is not possible to eliminate them completely.  Even NASA is not immune from hardware failures.  :smileyfrustrated:

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

I reckon its likely that a lot more important than whether you've dropped it is how gingerly you've inserted the micro-USB plug.

That is, the extended micro-USB plug is a common failure point. The extra length seems to give it extra leverage in either bending the plug, or widening the port, increasing the play, or both. A mini-USB would have been a lot more stable but since they are likely to be even thinner with the Nook Tablet version 2 to be released Q4, likely announced sometime next month, that ship has probably sailed. Even the style of plug where the charger is detected by shorting out the data and clock lines on a high capacity micro-USB cable with a regular length micro-USB plug would likely be more robust.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Must be lucky had an original nook classic. (2) Nook Color's and cross fingers no cable or plug issues.

There is a definate QA problem with the cables. And why I don't try using it while it's plugged in. Or get to forceful with plugging in. Also choose to let my computer charge it instead of the AC. As slower charge less heat and ready for me in the morning.

Hope your 2nd unit is carefree!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Personally I'd be happy I was getting a free replacement. Electronic devices do fail. All of them fail. I have been lucky to not have any issues so far with any Nooks.

I had a Kindle DX where it would only charge when I swung the charging wire around my computer's laptop so the charger was literally holding the Kindle DX up at a 35 degree angle.

Like everyone else on this thread has mentioned - how you insert and remove the charger makes a big difference.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I had a Kindle DX where it would only charge when I swung the charging wire around my computer's laptop so the charger was literally holding the Kindle DX up at a 35 degree angle.

I have to ask - how the heck did you figure out this was the solution?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

One thing to be careful of when charging hte NT/ NC units - always seat the USB cable into the device BEFORE you connect the USB cable to a charger or to your computer. 

This is mentioned in the manual, but not prominently enough, IMO.

The NC and NT charging / sync cables have more leads than a standard USB cable and are more fragile than standard.  They have the additional leads in order to support quickly charging when connected to the AC adapter - the cables deliver more current than a standard USB cable does.

This means that if you connect first to power, then to your NC or NT, you can cause electrical damage when you seat the cable.  One of our regulars actually saw arcing on an NC! 

(This is also good advice for phones, etc. when connecting USB - but the lower current draw and lower number of conectors in the USB headshell means many of us, myself included, were blissfully unaware of the potential issue.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
Blexcroid
0 Kudos

Another issue with the cables is that they are made from aluminum "whisker wire". This is the same cheap wire that is used to make inexpensive, disposable earbuds. The wire is VERY thin and easily breakable. It is nearly impossible to solder unless you use a resistance soldering unit. Also, if you leave the unit on or use it while it is charging, it will over-heat the tiny aluminum wires. This is what causes the melting of the connector. The connector on the motherboard also has minimal support, making it easy to break off if the connector is bumped. This is similar to the issues on some laptops when the power connector is bumped and breaks.  A new extended micro USB connector can be purchased at Mouser.com for both the cable and the motherboard, but it takes someone with a bit of soldering experience to replace the connector on the board and it takes a resistance soldering unit to solder the whisker wire without melting it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I was moving it around the PC and the cable got stuck on the top of the monitor. Just as I was about to untangle it I saw it (the charger outlet) light up and stay lit up.

:smileyhappy:

Problem Solved!