Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet Replacements

I had an issue with the battery in my Nook Tablet for a few months and decided to have it replaced. Although I have no complaints about the replacement process itself, I do have a problem with the replacement[s]. The Nook Tablet I received arrived in about 5 days. When I was setting it back up, I noticed that it had its memory reallocated. Because I use SD cards, my original Nook Tablet had not had its memory reallocated -- I prefer to have the space for Barnes & Noble content. I drove 85 miles round trip to the closest Barnes & Noble only to be told the reallocation was "permanent." I know this to be untrue and said as much. The manager said he would trade it out for another, but because I didn't have my Barnes & Noble password, we were unable to check to see if it had its memory reallocated. When I did get home, I found out the replacement for the replacement also had its memory reallocated.

I find it disconcerting that Barnes & Noble can replace products with ones that apparently were never made factory again when refurbished or recertified.

Some people settle for less...
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet Replacements

[ Edited ]

Repartitioning is not part of the firmware upgrade process. If they do a wipe, reload and test, it won't necessarily change the partitioning.

I know the stores were supposed to be able to revert to the "old" NC (large user data/small B&N partitions), but I don't know that they were given anything to go to the "new" (small user data/large B&N) scheme.

Was the replacement the manager gave you a new or refurb unit? I can't tell from your post. That was very nice of the store personnel! So it sounds like BOTH refurbs (if indeed they were refurbs) had the "old" layout. I don't have a refurb NT to check, but I wonder if that's their new standard? Were these 8 GB or 16 GB NTs?

Repartitioning is certainly doable if you're interested in the process. It's not for the technically timid, but it's a fairly straightforward process if you are after a fix. Here's a variation written for the KF that apparently works as well. (I've not done this on a NT myself, only a NC, so be sure to read the associated articles thoroughly before attempting.

Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

Repartitioning is not part of the firmware upgrade process. If they do a wipe, reload and test, it won't necessarily change the partitioning.

It should be. The factory tablet I received came with a 1GB partition for sideloaded contant, which is how I prefer it.

Was the replacement the manager gave you a new or refurb unit? I can't tell from your post. That was very nice of the store personnel! So it sounds like BOTH refurbs (if indeed they were refurbs) had the "old" layout. I don't have a refurb NT to check, but I wonder if that's their new standard? Were these 8 GB or 16 GB NTs?

Hard to tell if either replacement was new or a refurb. It [16GB tablet] had an 8GB partition for sideloaded content and about 6GB for B&N content. I didn't expect him to trade it out, and although it didn't help, it was worth a shot. I don't blame him.

Repartitioning is certainly doable if you're interested in the process. It's not for the technically timid, but it's a fairly straightforward process if you are after a fix.

I know, which is what I told the B&N store manager. I really don't want to have to go through the process mainly because 1. its still under warranty, and 2. I shouldn't have to be the one to get my Nook back to the state it was in when i got it in January.

Its awful presumptious of Barnes & Noble to assume that everyone sideloads content and that the Nook Tablet replacements should be partitioned to allow for more sideloaded content.

A 16GB or 32GB SD card is more beneficial than a measly 8GB of partitioned space on the tablet, IMHO. Besides, I'd rather have just one partition for B&N content -- don't need a partition for sideloaded content.

At any rate, I called Nook support and the guy from India basically told me sucks to be you. Unless its defective, we can't replace it. That made me shoot of a complaint to the BBB.

bobstro
0 Kudos

www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969 says 1 GB for B&N content is the norm for the 8 GB NT, which is why I asked which model you have.
Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Both the 8GB and 16GB have 1GB partition.

• NOOK Tablet–8GB: 5GB for content; of which 1GB is reserved for NOOK Store content
  • NOOK Tablet–16GB:13GB for content; of which 12GB is reserved for NOOK Store content

I have the 16GB, not that it matters. It no longer has 12GB reserved for Nook Store content.

EDIT

I see what you are saying. The 8GB has 1GB for Nook Store content and 5GB for sideloaded content.

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

The 8GB NT has 5GB for content of which 1GB is for BN content and 4GB for sideloaded content. There is no BN repartition available. This never made much sense to me. Why not just add a memory card for non-BN content.
Melissa19
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18

bobstro wrote:

I know the stores were supposed to be able to revert to the "old" NC (large user data/small B&N partitions), but I don't know that they were given anything to go to the "new" (small user data/large B&N) scheme.

Other way around.  Both repartitioning schemes (one for the NC, one for the NT) gave you the "new" partitioning.  In the NC case, there was less user space;  in the NT case, there was more.  However, this was to make "old" units behave like "new" ones (in part to simplify support).

LG G3 phone & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted
2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro
0 Kudos

And then you can throw the "new" 8 G NT scheme in to completely confuse things. :smileyhappy:

My point was that the stores were given the tools to go the opposite way from what the OP wanted.

Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Regardless of how either is repartitioned, Barnes & Noble is attempting to "honor" their limited warranty as inexpensively as possible by way of replacing the product with one that has not been factory reconditioned or recertified. The 16GB tablet is sold with a 12GB partition for B&N content and a 1GB partition for sideloaded content, what they shipped as a replacement, and the one replaced in a B&N store, had a 5.91GB partition for B&N content and an 8GB partition for sideloaded content. To top it off, the battery in the replacement I have is just as bad as the battery in the original tablet. I charged the battery last night, and today after using it for about 15 minutes, it had discharged to 76%.

Because of the BBB complaint, someone in their corporate office called me today and I spoke to her for about an hour. Initially, she wanted to resolve the issue by sending me an 8GB SD card. Not acceptable because it does not solve the issue with having only 5.91GB for B&N content, which was my initial complaint with the replacement(s). Then she insisted that the Nook Tablet no longer ships new with a 12GB partition for B&N content and a 1GB partition for sideloaded content. When I said the website says otherwise, she claimed that the website does not, although I was looking at it when she said it. It may be true that the replacements are not new and may not ship with a 12GB partition for B&N content and a 1GB partition for sideloaded content, but a new tablet does. After putting me on hold for about 5 minutes, she again told me all she could do was send me the 8GB SD card -- that was until I told her that if the issue was not resolved, I'd have to escalate it to Consumer Protection. Suddenly, she started telling me that there must be an issue with my tablet, and after looking at "her" tablet [she said that she had just over 12GB for B&N content] she decided that the best way to resolve the issue was to overnight me a new tablet, plus an 8GB SD card.

I have never had a company replace a product with a used product like B&N does with the Nook. The warranty states the product would be replaced by either a new or refurbished product. A refurbished product is one that has been checked/fixed/restored/tested to factory condition. In this case, a 16GB tablet with a new battery that had not been repartitioned. B&N makes no attempt to factory refurbish the product. It goes out in the same condition it was received, with the exception of it being reset.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'll try to hit a B&N this week to check the NT on display. I just find it curious that you saw the same partitioning on two units from two sources. I wonder if they changed it and just haven't updated the web page. If two units from different sources had a 5.91/8 split, that doesn't sound like either the new or old schemes for the NT, yet it's oddly consistent.

Personally, I would have preferred the split that you have! 5.91G is a *lot* of B&N content.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I'll try to hit a B&N this week to check the NT on display. I just find it curious that you saw the same partitioning on two units from two sources. I wonder if they changed it and just haven't updated the web page. If two units from different sources had a 5.91/8 split, that doesn't sound like either the new or old schemes for the NT, yet it's oddly consistent.

Personally, I would have preferred the split that you have! 5.91G is a *lot* of B&N content.

We generally don't bother repartitioning demo NOOKs (except for the one time I borked a demo so badly the recovery install failed and I had to reinstall the OS using the repartitioning script, heh), so you're going to see a whole bunch of old partitions.

Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

I don't find it odd that two Nooks would have been repartitioned with 8GB set aside for sideloaded content. Its entirely possible that two or more people wanted 8GB for other content.

Considering you can add an additional 32GB with an SD card, I don't think its necessary to repartition. Videos play fine off an SD card. Not only that, considering B&N has done everything possible to keep us from sideloading apps from Google Play or the Amazon App store, an increase in space for other content is wasteful. You might as well spend $14 for a 32GB SD card and keep the space for B&N content, or boot android from the SD and use your tablet as a android tablet.