Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet for 4 and 9 year old?

I was planning on getting my soon to be 4 year old a Leappad 2 for her birthday.  She plays with her older brother's Leapster, which is about to go out after 6 or so years.  She also loves to play with my original Nook Color, since I have downloaded preschool games.  After looking at the Leappad 2, and the various costs associated with it; I was beginning to wonder if her own Nook Color/Tablet (or my hand me down and an upgrade for Momma) wouldn't be a better option.  My son has also wanted an ITouch, and I feel the Nook would probably be a better option for him as well.  I was considering getting them one to share...might be wishful thinking on my part for them to "share".

Do the new tablets have parental control options?  Do they have an option yet to confirm purchases with a code?  My 3 year old has accidentally deleted apps I paid for already, and has purchased ones unknowingly.  Any thoughts????

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Re: Nook Tablet for 4 and 9 year old?

The new tablets (the HD and HD+) have a profile system very similar to the one found in Windows and MacOS. They allow you to set up multiple profiles on the same device, and each profile can customize their home screen and options. You can also lock down sections independently in each profile, so you can disable purchasing or even the shop altogether on your child's profile while still making it accessable on yours.

So if I was in your boat I'd get a NOOK HD (the 7 inch model).

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I think the profiles functionality is the best part of the new Nook HD's

However, you might want to consider spending a little more and getting each a previous gen NT 16gb.  I got a refurb from BN on ebay for $134.  Full 1 year warranty and you wouldn't have to worry about "sharing"

Contributor
corvidapps

The nook color also has the functionality to password protect purchases, and you should be able to reload already purchased apps that have been deleted.
Frequent Contributor
Les1017
0 Kudos

Where do I go to set the password? As far as reloading the apps I purchased, I can't find them anywhere.  I have logged on to my account online and do not see them in archives either.  Where would they be?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Les1017 wrote:

Where do I go to set the password? As far as reloading the apps I purchased, I can't find them anywhere.  I have logged on to my account online and do not see them in archives either.  Where would they be?

If you "archive" them, they delete from the device but stay in the B&N cloud. If you "delete" them, they delete them from the B&N cloud.

I've never deleted anything I might possible want to keep, so I don't know what happens, but try going to the app in the shop, and see if it gives your a download option instead of a buy option.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

The only thing I have seen with the NT that gives me some pause is that BN doesn't allow you to set a filter at the account level that keeps shop searches from returning "inappropriate" material complete with cover art.  My 10 year old doesn't need erotic novels in her search results.  Our "imperfect" solution to this dilemma has been that I had the device forgete the password to the home wifi and she can only shop when I am there to supervise.  Obviously that doesn't stop the search results or cover art from displaying but at least I know a) what she saw and b) sometimes I can shorten that time frame. 

It may be that the new profiles on the Nook HD's will allow not only for locking minors out of certain content but maybe will keep them from even seeing them at all.

And no I am not demanding BN make a change.  I know that it is my responsibility as a parent to know what the kids see on the internet and act as the "filter" rather than simply relying on software.  But you would think that a company that has stated they are targeting women and children would offer a pre-filtering option at the account level to increase the safety of such children.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

And no I am not demanding BN make a change.  I know that it is my responsibility as a parent to know what the kids see on the internet and act as the "filter" rather than simply relying on software.  But you would think that a company that has stated they are targeting women and children would offer a pre-filtering option at the account level to increase the safety of such children.

I get the impression from the write-ups of the press preview that they see the account profiles and child safe features a big selling point. Getting the database infrastructure in place to support those profiles is probably something they've been grinding through for a while now. However, at the moment the software they have to manage that is in the Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) based Nook HD and HD+, and at the moment they are likely all hands on deck making sure the system is ready to launch.

If they haven't decided whether to phase out the NTv1, leave it at Gingerbread (2.3) or upgrade it to Jelly Bean (4.1) at the time that they upgrade the HD and HD+ to Jelly Bean, they surely won't be thinking about whether and how to integrate those profiles into the NT yet.

But when they are in a position to get around to it, in my view they would be well served leaving the NTv1 at Gingerbread and coming out with a single profile version of their HD/HD+ system, which gives the child safe features from someone who wants to give a child their own tablet, but is less demanding than implementing multiple profiles on a different version of Android.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

liliputing has reported that BN is keeping the NT but isn't going to upgrade the OS to ICS.  What that means for the future of the firmware is unknown.  My guess is anything that people think is "broken" will remain broken and BN won't do anymore development.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

liliputing has reported that BN is keeping the NT but isn't going to upgrade the OS to ICS.  What that means for the future of the firmware is unknown.  My guess is anything that people think is "broken" will remain broken and BN won't do anymore development.

Strictly speaking, what they reported is that there are "no plans" to update the Nook Tablet to run 4.0.

That's pretty definitive regarding updating the Nook Tablet to Ice Cream Sandwich, since they are planning to upgrade the HD and HD+ to Jelly Bean early next year, so if sometime in the next few month they developed plans to upgrade the Nook Tablet, it would obviously be straight to Jelly Bean.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

BN stated there are no plans to upgrade the OS to ICS on the NT, not completely stop development for the device.

In fact, given that BN really wants your money, I'm willing to bet pretty large sums there will be at least one more firmware update for all the NOOK Video goodies.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

I was in my local B&N taking to the Nook salesman about the new tablets.   He said that the software on the the old tablets would be upgraded, but then said that this was only is opinion...

I think they will upgrade the software on the Tablets (not the Nook Color) to access their video store at the very least, because there are too many potential customers who will not upgrade.  Same as did they for the Nook Color when the tablet came out.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN stated there are no plans to upgrade the OS to ICS on the NT, not completely stop development for the device.

In fact, given that BN really wants your money, I'm willing to bet pretty large sums there will be at least one more firmware update for all the NOOK Video goodies.

Nook Video may not require a firmware update, since they promise an Android Nook Video app. They rolled out Netflix support to the Nook Color with an app downloaded from the app store, rather than bundled with the update ... they could well roll out Nook Video support for the Nook Tablet with an app as well.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

BruceMcF wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Nook Video may not require a firmware update, since they promise an Android Nook Video app. They rolled out Netflix support to the Nook Color with an app downloaded from the app store, rather than bundled with the update ... they could well roll out Nook Video support for the Nook Tablet with an app as well.

The difference between Netflix and Nook Video is that people were desiring and asking for the Netflix app so rolling it out as just an app worked fine.  I would not expect a huge outcry or demand for the Nook Video at first.  My guess is that Toaster is right and they will do one more firmware upgrade to the NT although with no actual added functionality except the Nook Video will now be a pre-loaded, non-deletable app on the NT. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

The difference between Netflix and Nook Video is that people were desiring and asking for the Netflix app so rolling it out as just an app worked fine.  I would not expect a huge outcry or demand for the Nook Video at first.  My guess is that Toaster is right and they will do one more firmware upgrade to the NT although with no actual added functionality except the Nook Video will now be a pre-loaded, non-deletable app on the NT. 

How to distribute the app is a second decision, to be made after deciding whether to bring the capability as an integrated part of the system, like Reader and Store, as an app, or not to bring the capability at all.

If its decided to bring the capability to the Nook Tablet as an app, pushing it out as a bundled app in a software upgrade is indeed an option. That would be especially attractive if they are going to do a final maintenance software upgrade in any event.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

I would assume an update for NOOK Video would be baked directly into the firmware, not an app. There's already a box in the shop menu for "music + video apps", replace it with "Videos and Television Shows" and replace the utterly worthless "kids" tab in the library with "Video".

Bam. Fully integrated video store.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

I would assume an update for NOOK Video would be baked directly into the firmware, not an app. There's already a box in the shop menu for "music + video apps", replace it with "Videos and Television Shows" and replace the utterly worthless "kids" tab in the library with "Video".

However they are doing the app in any event, so its little to no extra development cost. Integrating Nook Video into the Nook Tablet is a development project that is separate from both the Nook HD upgrade to Android 4.1 and from the development of the Nook App. Certainly they could do it, but they may not want to spend the extra money that it would cost.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

[ Edited ]

BruceMcF wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

However they are doing the app in any event, so its little to no extra development cost. Integrating Nook Video into the Nook Tablet is a development project that is separate from both the Nook HD upgrade to Android 4.1 and from the development of the Nook App. Certainly they could do it, but they may not want to spend the extra money that it would cost.

I suspect that would depend on the installed base of NT's.  It is fairly certain they will get a higher adoption rate if the app is bundled in the firmware rather than relying on customers to download it themselves.  So then it is just a question of how many NT's are there, assumptions about the adoption rate of pre-installed apps and the average revenue per subscriber.  I would guess they would stand to make more $ by bundling than not, especially if they use the HD firmware as a base.  I may be off=base but I think they only significant hardware difference betweent the NT and the HD is the screen resolution?

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

I may be off=base but I think they only significant hardware difference betweent the NT and the HD is the screen resolution?

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

I may be off=base but I think they only significant hardware difference betweent the NT and the HD is the screen resolution?

The difference between an OMAP 4430 (the processor in the NT) and an OMAP 4470 (the processor in the HD Series) is pretty drastic, far beyond the couple hundred megahertz would make it seem.

The hardware of the NT16 probably could handle the 4.0 OS (the 8GB I'm less sure, with the very limited RAM and what have you). The question is whether BN should. Such a drastic change in the operation of the device might be jarring to consumers. 

For instance, my manager at work has a Droid RAZR that recently updated itself from 2.3 to 4.0, and now she hates it (odd that anyone would prefer GB to ICS, but eh) because it is different than what she learned to use when she got the phone. The difference between the NT OS and the HD Series OS is even more jarringly different, and I think a lot of customers wouldn't be too thrilled with such a massive change.

So I think we'll still see firmware updates for the NT (and maybe the NC) to add some features here and there, but I'm going to bet the actual UI/UX remains the same.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

flyingtoastr wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

The difference between an OMAP 4430 (the processor in the NT) and an OMAP 4470 (the processor in the HD Series) is pretty drastic, far beyond the couple hundred megahertz would make it seem.

The hardware of the NT16 probably could handle the 4.0 OS (the 8GB I'm less sure, with the very limited RAM and what have you). The question is whether BN should. Such a drastic change in the operation of the device might be jarring to consumers. 

For instance, my manager at work has a Droid RAZR that recently updated itself from 2.3 to 4.0, and now she hates it (odd that anyone would prefer GB to ICS, but eh) because it is different than what she learned to use when she got the phone. The difference between the NT OS and the HD Series OS is even more jarringly different, and I think a lot of customers wouldn't be too thrilled with such a massive change.

So I think we'll still see firmware updates for the NT (and maybe the NC) to add some features here and there, but I'm going to bet the actual UI/UX remains the same.

I know it's historically not been B&N's MO to offer optional updates, but an optional update, with a documented rollback process, might be the best solution in this case.