flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet for 4 and 9 year old?

keriflur wrote:

I know it's historically not been B&N's MO to offer optional updates, but an optional update, with a documented rollback process, might be the best solution in this case.

Given the development and support time that would need to be dedicated to doing something like that, I just don't see it happening.

This isn't a little switch like going from 1.4.2 to 1.4.3. It's basically a full rewrite of the OS.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

There are very good replies in this thread. I'll add my thoughts.

1) Nook HD ships with Parental Controls.

As another reader said - buying $134 Nook Tablets from eBay might be a better option - but they don't have parental controls.

2) Nook Tablet and Color and HD all come with the option to turn on 'Require Password for Purchase'.

3) I don't think there's any way to prevent 'deletion' of apps and books.

4) Nook Tablet is pretty sturdy. Nook HD will be lighter but should be sturdy too. B&N does make good quality hardware.

I think it might be best to first get a Nook HD or HD+ for yourself and try out the Profiles feature. If that and the Parental controls work for you, then you can get a Nook HD for your kids and let them share.

If that doesn't, then something else (like two Nook Tablets bought at eBay deal prices - from B&N official store there) would be a good solution.

Nook HD profiles feature is the best I know of amongst Tablets for Parental Control. Kindle Fire HD has something but it didn't seem very convincing.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I know it's historically not been B&N's MO to offer optional updates, but an optional update, with a documented rollback process, might be the best solution in this case.

If it stays in the product line over the next year, then it will be as a budget device. In that position, I don't see them rolling out a Jelly Bean for the Tablet like the Jelly Bean for the HD/HD+. Its just too much bother for what is going to be a lower margin device.

After all, consider the Nook Color, which they pushed up from Android 2.1 to Android 2.2 while it was their flashship, but left at Android 2.2 when they introduced their Android 2.3 Nook Tablet. They rolled out updated apps, in particular to allow Nook Color users to buy content that was being produced for the Nook Tablet, but didn't do the across the board level upgrade.

If they keep working on the Nook Tablet, I'd expect it to be along the same line ~ possible incremental upgrades to allow access to content being produced for and sold to Nook HD/HD+ owners, but no big upgrade to Nook 4.1.

And as for an upgrade to the current Nook HD/HD+ system, rather than to the system after its Jelly Bean upgrade early in the new year, its only going to be a few months until they upgrade the Nook HD/HD+ from 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) to 4.1 (Jelly Bean). It wouldn't make any sense to upgrade the NT to 4.0 in December or January and then upgrade again to 4.1 in February or March.