Distinguished Correspondent
raqball

Nook Tablet -v- Galaxy 7.0 Plus

[ Edited ]

Here is my review on these 2 devices... I currently have both and they are in stock form.. The NT has 1.4.1 installed and the Galaxy 7.0 Plus has Android 3.2... I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1..

My use of these types of devices is reading magazine subscriptions, RSS Feeds and the LA Times.. My main usage is more geared to web browsing, email, calendar functions and general goofing off...  

I will pass along some quick thoughts on the two Tablets 1st, then offer up some scores, then summarize...  

The Nook Tablet:  

I consider this as an e-reader with Tablet like functions.. For the $249 price tag it really can't be beat as long as you understand what it offers and does not offer..  

The device itself is gorgeous and the styling makes it stand out in a crowd of slates.. My only gripe with it's style is that I would have liked the screen to sit flush and not have an overlay lip.. I can also see the "N" button wearing out over time as it's needed for many functions..  

The specs on it are awesome at this price point and the screen resolution is nice and it's easily viewable from many angels.. The SD card slot is an added bonus and the microphone is another added plus at this price point.. No BT or GPS functionality is offered..  

I love the fact that it does not come preloaded with bloatware.. It comes with a few basic applications and games installed along with Netflix and Hulu.. What is missing from it is a full fledged office application, a calculator, and a calendar.. How BN managed to not include these is beyond me, but they did...  

The app store at BN is pretty thin at the moment but I did manage to find a few of the apps I used on a daily basis.. As the app store improves, so will the Nook Tablet.. Since side-loading has been eliminated the only real option for most users who do not want to root is the BN store, and at the moment it's pretty sparse in there..  

Overall I love the speed, the screen, and the reading experience that the Nook Tablet offers... The Tablet functions of the NT is where it starts to fail.. As mentioned there is no calendar, calculator or full featured office suite installed. You can however purchase these apps from the BN Shop.. The email app that comes per-installed is pretty basic and really offers nothing but the ability to read email and respond.. The browser is pretty good but I don't understand why it's tied to the "N" button.. What I mean is that the browser is not viewable in your app drawer, nor can it be placed on the home screen.. Odd...  

The UI of the NT is pretty nice except for a few odd instances (see browser remark above) and there is no copy and paste functionality anywhere in the OS be it browser, email, ect... I worry that my "N" button is going to wear out pretty quick as it is constantly used..  

The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus:  

I consider this a Tablet with e-reader like functions.. On sale at $349 it's a awesome price.. Once it goes back up to $399 it's a little less attractive..   It's a 7" slate and looks pretty much just like every other 7" slate out there... It's lightweight, and the button placements are well done.. Viewing angels are good and the screen resolution is nice..  

It comes preloaded with a fully functional office application, a calendar, a calculator, gmail, and the Android Market.. However, it also comes preloaded  and a bunch of bloatware.. It has a very nice set of specs, it's lightning fast and smooth...  

The UI is nice and offers cut and paste functions along with nifty features like the multitasking windows and the quick bar.. Overall a very nice Tablet and it has BT and GPS functionality built in.. Also has an infrared red sensor and a remote control app.. If you expect a Tablet to have it, it's there...

Scores:  

Item Scored | Nook Tablet | Galaxy 7.0 Plus

Design | 9 | 7

Screen | 8 | 8

Books | 10 | 9

Magazines | 9 | 7

Newspapers | 9 | 8

RSS Feed Apps | 7 | 10

Browser | 8 | 8

Email | 4 | 9

Office Suite | 6 | 9

Calendar | 3 | 8

Calculator | 4 | 9

App Store | 6 | 9

App Availability | 3 |10

Netflix | 9 | 9

Hulu | 9 | 9

Music | 9 | 9

Movie Rental | 0 | 8

Widgets | 0 | 10

OS Customizations | 2 | 9

Fluid UI | 8 | 9

Developer Friendly | 0 | 8

OS Updates | 6 (because it was forced) | 8

Bang for the buck | 10 | 8 (at $349) and a 7 at $399

In Store Support | 10 | 0

If mainly used as a reader | 10 | 7

If mainly used as a Tablet | 4 | 10

Combined use | 7 | 9  

I have decided to return my Nook Tablet and keep the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus as for me at least, it offers more features and functionality that I want in this type of device.. If it was not on sale at $349 then the choice would be harder..  

If your preference is a reader 1st and having some Tablet like functions available 2nd then the Nook Tablet simply can't be beat! For this type of person the choice is easy.. The Nook Tablet hands down! At $249 it is easily the best bang for the buck! As the BN app store grows, this device will become even more of a powerhouse..  

If you want more Tablet like features and the added cost does not scare you away then the Galaxy tab 7.0 Plus is a great choice... It's loaded with features, it's well made, and the UI is a pleasure to use..  

Bonuses to the Nook as the browser allows you to select Desktop or Tablet versions.. The stock browser on the Galaxy Tab does not... Bonus to the Nook for the security measures of their app store (this could also hinder the speed at which apps are added however)  

What could have prevented me from returning the Nook Tablet?

--More apps for purchase in the store (I have no problem paying for apps)

--A better email client that allows attatchments

--Better calendar app (the one in the shop is horrid)

--A way to move the browser away from being tied to the "N" button  

Ask any questions you may have.. I won't be returning the NT until next week so if you want a specific item or area compared feel free to ask and I will do my best..  

Remember everyone is different and these are MY opinions.. Both are very nice and well built devices... Both are keepers depending on your wants, needs, desires, and price point...

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Re: Nook Tablet -v- Galaxy 7.0 Plus

How did you give any points at all to the NT for calculator and calendar when they are missing?  Did you load something from the store?

raqball

Yes they were added from the BN app shop.. The calc was OK but the calendar was horrid..
gilgomez

Outstanding post!!!!  Thanks very much for sharing your experience with both devices.

I am planning on returning my NT in order to purchase the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 with 32gb on board.  I tinkered with the tabs tonight at Best Buy and was very impressed with the Galaxy tabs.  Beautiful!!!

But there is alot to be said for the NT; I love to read and it is the best ereader on the market, IMO.  And the design and feel is superb and can't be beat if it is used primarily as an ereader.

Unfortunately I was hoping for more functionality and the ability to install apps I already own that sync with my Outlook and Office 2010.  I was excited about the Tablet functions described in early reviews so I raced out and got mine. 

So now I will return my NT for a device that is really a Tablet with excellent ebook apps and open sources for ebooks and apps.  I really must have a strong calendar app and email so that is it.  I would like to ask anyone out there which may have a Galaxy Tab send me tips or advice....

Thank you!:smileywink:

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Infra-red sensor or infra-red transmitter?  The latter is required for TV-like "remote control" functions, so I assume it's the latter.

You didn't mention battery life screen viewing brightness and viewing angle.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
Crafty_Andy

Like you I find this post fantastic. I liked the Galaxy Tablets I saw at a store today a lot, but no SD card was my selling point. I got an Acer  A500 Iconia, Acer has some great ones, nothing beatrs the IPAD2, but as far as Android tablets out there. I want one with an SD Card and 10.1 inches screen was another point for me. I saw the Nook App for android so I will get it as soon as I get my new Tablet. It was a hard choice, but I was not happy with the Software update for the Nook Tablet. It took away the reason why I purchase the particulare E-Reader Tablet. The Galaxy 7 Plus is not a bad choice, I believe it has an SD card slot as well.,

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Crafty_Andy wrote:

... I saw the Nook App for android so I will get it as soon as I get my new {Acer A500] Tablet.

Unnecessary; it comes with it preinstalled.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Souzou

Seems like such a waste.  Hopefully the refurbs sell well because I hate the thought of electronics having to be destroyed or thrown away. 

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

RoboTecture: Great post. I heard the Galaxy 7 has a built in GPS.. Did you get to test that out?

Crafty Andy:

The Galaxy 7plus had an sd slot. From what I heard the Galaxy 8.9 did not.. And there is a Galaxy 7 (noplus in name) that the salesperson at my store pointed me to and it confused me alot.. Same sale price or $349, but needed to get a secondary device for WiFi with a 2 year contract. (This may not have had the sd slot).. I found out it is an older unit, the origial Galaxy 7..

I think most of us found the sd slot of the NT a selling point, so most of us going to the Galaxy 7 also wanted the SD slot.

floridaphil
0 Kudos

Great review and very fair.  It mirrors my experience with the 2 devices. 

I agree that the Gt7+ email and web clients are just okay. Try Skitmail and Dolphin Browser.

I was  interested to see that you marked magazine reading lower on the GT than the NT and wondered why.

gilgomez

The Galaxy 7Plus hs the sd slot but there is an accessory available that is a 30pin to usb, micro usb and multi SD card slot!  You can just get one or get the bundle (sold on Amazon's website for like $30).  The available accessory with the slot has made me more comfortable in choosing the 8.9 tab with 32gb on board.

The only concern I have now is that this tab has Honeycomb 3.1 (the 7Plus has 3.2) and I wonder if it will receive the ICS update or a modified ICS update.  If anyone out there has any knowledge??? 

I still love the NT but it isn't a Tablet so back it goes this month!:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

[ Edited ]

raqball states this about the NT : "I love the fact that it does not come preloaded with bloatware.."

If they have no apps, they have nothing to bloat about :smileylol:

HA! HA! HA!  Get it...?? Bloat.. Gloat..  Bad..  ok..:smileysad:

floridaphil

Yes, Samsung have stated that the 8.9 will be receiving ICS.  Theres a hacked verison already over on XDA.

raqball
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My apologies Dean, its the latter and comes with a control app called Peel.. It was easy to setup and had no problem finding my devices (Pioneer TV, Sony Surround, Roku ect).. It works well and has a nice TV Guide built in.. Don't think I will actuality use it so I view it more as a gimmick / novelty.. Battery life is about even, maybe the NT is slightly better at this point but most Androids take several charge cycles for the battery to settle in.. Viewing angels are simular on both in my opinion.. Maybe a slight edge to the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus when viewing video.. I rated the NT higher for Magazine subscriptions / reading because a few of my subscriptions show as not available on my device when using the Samsung Tab via the Nook app.. The Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus does have an SD card slot for those who asked about it.. As far as it getting ICS, Samsung has already said that it will (2nd Q 2012)
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

There is also the 5" media player. 

I realize that Honeycomb is a selling point for many folks, as is ICS, but if you are interested in a tablet with solid e-reader supprot that can be managed with Calibre you do not want honeycomb - the storage can't be accessed by Calibre! 

The media player's a bit small, but has a nice camera, GPS, bluetooth, the full market, is rootable and runs Gingerbread.  Your library can be replicated to it painlessly using Calibre. 

If you do go the Honeycomb route, your best option is to get into the habit of ejecting your SD card, mounting it as a local disk on your computer, and writing the files you want to it.  Be sure not to write the metadata (OPF) files when you save to disk - they'll annoy you by being opened by at least some ereaders in preference to the epub files you want to work with. 

It looks lke the HTC flyer has ended production, which is too bad - that was a great Gingerbread device.  You can still find the HTC Evo View if you look around on ebay and what you're really looking for is a tablet with strong ereader management from your own library rather than from the cloud. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
floridaphil

[ Edited ]

And there will be a TON of inexpensive new tablets coming through shortly.

For example:

http://www.androidcentral.com/10-inch-acer-iconia-hits-jan-15-239 

and this

http://tabtimes.com/news/ittech-manufacturers/2012/01/05/new-rumors-suggest-google-tablet-will-compe...

It kinda makes me want to return both my tablets and see how it all shakes out in the next few months.

Regarding Calibre and Honeycomb - problem solved

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tonymaro.calibreLibrary.apk&feature=search_result#?t=W251b...

raqball
0 Kudos

New Tablets and smartphones are constantly on the way.. It can be easy to get into what's coming next but that's a never ending cycle.. Wait a few months for what's rumored and as soon as you get ready to purchase it, bigger, better, and faster are now on the way / rumored.. This is easily a never ending cycle..
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Thanks much, Phil. 

Later today, I will look at this app.  I've already flipped on the calibre server option on my computer and pointed a web browser at it.

From the Honeycomb devices I have, I'm not able to get feedback from Calibre about what's already there, etc.  And doing bulk import's not an option. 

If this app automates that, that's better. 

Unfortunately, it won't fix the other (gynormous) issues with the Android MTP interface.  As Dean G pointed out, that's a very slow interface - and that's the good news. 

Until the interface starts to work, I'll continue to prefer Gingerbread.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

raqball,

> the screen resolution is nice and it's easily viewable from many angels. <

You didn't say how many angels.  And do they have to sit on the head of a pin?  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

moose_tracker wrote:

> RoboTecture: Great post. I heard the Galaxy 7 has a built in GPS.. Did you get to test that out? <

???  What RoboTecture?  None of his posts here.  

Perhaps you confused Raqball for Robo, though that would be hard because raqball breaks his/her posts into paragraphs, with blank lines.  And robo runs all his thoughts into one huge, unreadable, blob of text.  :smileyhappy:  It's his distinctive trademark.

- Mark