Distinguished Correspondent
floridaphil

Re: Nook Tablet -v- Galaxy 7.0 Plus

raqball wrote:
New Tablets and smartphones are constantly on the way.. It can be easy to get into what's coming next but that's a never ending cycle.. Wait a few months for what's rumored and as soon as you get ready to purchase it, bigger, better, and faster are now on the way / rumored.. This is easily a never ending cycle..

You are right of course, but another couple weeks or so won't hurt. Don't you just HATE it when you buy something and it's almost immediately superceded?

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

Duh!!!  I don't know what I was looking at, when I pulled that name out of a hat! Yes I meant Raqball..

That large of a text in comparisons would have been hard on the eyes had it been one great big blob of text!

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

...and Robo would have followed it with 2 or 3 posts directly in a row with "another thought".

raqball
0 Kudos

I had not previously tested GPS but I just did for you.. It locks on pretty quick and appeared to be within a few feet of my house.. I have not tested navigation though..

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

[ Edited ]

Thanks.. Amazon emailed me that the Galaxy 7plus package was shipped, they estimate it to be here on Saturday.

My son was excited about that.. He has one he got years ago, and never took them up on the free upgrade while it was offered, and didn't want to pay for an upgrade, so he thought that was a great additional feature.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

The GPS on the media player is very nice to have.  I am not too happy with the nav software I decided to buy, Sygix, but will probably try another package.  The speakers on the media player are audible when the device is in a pocket and I'm driving, and it does pick up changes in location accurately.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
gilgomez

Hey, I went to my local B&N to return the NT and unfortunately I ran into some drama with an uncooperative and unpleasant "acting store manager".  He refused to take back the NT and clained he didn't know about the holiday return policy.  Lucky for me I had emailed myself a copy of that policy and had the copy on my phone so when I showed it to him then he fussed and took me over to the cash wrap counter to "start the return process".

Next he asked me for the receipt which I handed to him and as soon as he reviewed it he informed me that he would NOT be able to refund me the purchase amount because it was purchased with a gift card.  Duh?  I never was informed that was impossible or else I would have used CASH or my debit card to purchase the unit.  He told me that he could only give me an exchange or a store credit because the holiday gift card promo would mean that I got $20 for free if he refunds me.  He told me I could return to the store on Monday when the "official manager" would be back from vacation.  He said "it's up to the manager and I have no authority to refund the device or bypass their policy".

So at this point I was very incensed and decided to call the tech support/ return number listed in the holiday return policy announcement.  I reached a very nice and professional man named Victor who was pretty surprised to hear what the "acting manager" had told me and so he offered to set me up with a UPS package return.  Unfortunately, the refund check would take two to three weeks after they receive and inspect the unit.  Not acceptable.  At this time I am pretty upset and would like my refund now.

I was hoping to purchase the Samsung tablet on sale on Saturday but I don't dare till I get my money back.  And the sale at Best Buy ends on Saturday so that blows.

Any suggestions????  It appears that the "forum moderators or administrators" don't assume to speak for B&N so I don't know who to contact.  Sending email up the chain is a waste based on issues I had with the Nook 1st ed.  Responses were very slow and most times ignored the question posed in my email. 

Your advice is appreciated.....

Oh and by the way, the rude man (who wouldn't give his name) was at the Palm Beach Gardens, Fl B&N store.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

if it was $20 on a gift card and the rest cash/credit, then the return should be the same $20 in store merchandise or store credit then the rest in cash/credit whatever.. What a turd!

It is true about the gift card but they can't consider the other $230 to now be forced into the same lockin policy..

Are there any other stores in your area, that you can call and ask them?.. Otherwise, get a customer Rep again to give you the policy info over the phone, and go in with that info to talk to the real manager armed with that information..

mohawkx

[ Edited ]

I printed out the entire holiday return policy document and took it with me.  It appears that many employees are instructed to obfuscate the return process in the hopes of discourging you.  When they wanted to give me store credit, I handed them the print out and politely asked them where it states that.  Not a problem.

You also could have turned into a loud, obnoxious butthole and disrupted the entire store until the asst. wonk rolled over with the refund.  That usually works.  don't ask me how I know.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I tested the 3 dollar Calibre plugin from the market.

It offers only one advantage over simply using the web interface, it lets you pick what folder your files are

downloaded to.  It does not support batch jobs, which is one of the really cool things about Calibre, and I did not see a visual indication of which books were on the device already in the summary pane. 

Once you click onto a title, it lets you know that you can simply read it, rather than downloading it.

Also, when it brings books into a folder, it does bring them in by author but does not bring them into standard Calibre /folder/author/title/yourbook.epub folders. 

On the whole, it's not something that makes me see Honeycomb as a good OS for e-reading. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
BytheNook
0 Kudos

moose_tracker posted:

Thanks.. Amazon emailed me that the Galaxy 7plus package was shipped, they estimate it to be here on Saturday.

My son was excited about that.. He has one he got years ago, and never took them up on the free upgrade while it was offered, and didn't want to pay for an upgrade, so he thought that was a great additional feature.

Ordered mine yesterday, got it today.  I love Amazon Prime!  Only problem is that I'm about 5 states away from my home right now, but it'll be waiting form me when I get there!

bobstro
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

I tested the 3 dollar Calibre plugin from the market.

Isn't having access to 3rd party apps great?

It offers only one advantage over simply using the web interface, it lets you pick what folder your files are

You can also access your server as an opds source by accessing it as http://:8080/opds by default. I've got the server set up, can verify that URL works via a desktop browser, but am unable to get it to work with Aldiko. It keeps asking me to login. If I get this working, I believe I'll be able to access my calibre server as another bookstore directly from readers.

This is independent of the Calibre app you purchased, of course. As far as I know, that app -- I assume you mean Calibre Library -- is not officially part of Calibre, but it is convenient. If you set up canned searches in Calibre to only return, for example, epub formatted docs, it's even more useful.

[...] It does not support batch jobs, which is one of the really cool things about Calibre, and I did not see a visual indication of which books were on the device already in the summary pane. 

I'm not aware of any of those capabilities in that app. Unfortunately, Calibre on my desktop seems to get a bit confused as well, so I've got a bit of a mess with 500 epubs on my device that Calibre doesn't know are there. Are you aware of any way to get Calibre to match books on device with its inventory?

Also, when it brings books into a folder, it does bring them in by author but does not bring them into standard Calibre /folder/author/title/yourbook.epub folders. 

Would the B&N reader support that? I thought all books had to be in a single directory.

On the whole, it's not something that makes me see Honeycomb as a good OS for e-reading.

I think the functionality of the reader is going to have a far greater impact. The Calibre Library apps is really just a downloader. If I can get the opds functionality working correctly in a reader, that will be a far cleaner interface.

The sad thing is, most Nook users won't be able to see even that level of functionality without rooting and/or loading 3rd party apps, as you seem to have done.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

BytheNook wrote:

Ordered mine yesterday, got it today.  I love Amazon Prime!  Only problem is that I'm about 5 states away from my home right now, but it'll be waiting form me when I get there!

Seriously I don't buy enough from Amazon to make the $80 price tag for Prime be a bargin. I am lucky if I shop there 3 to 5 times a year.. I will be patient with the slower pace of the normal free shipping.. For really free shipping (not $80 pre-paid for shipping)  it is fast enough.

Frequent Contributor
salbenn

I presently have the 8.9 Galaxy and it is a great tablet. I have until Jan 24 to make up my mind if I keep it or trade it for the new Asus Transformer Prime that is just hitting the stores. The 8.9 Galaxy is lighter than the NC, just as good as a reader,has 2 cameras, mic, great apps and widgets, and a real keyboard that is a docking station that inceases the battery life. Hard choices.
gilgomez

mohawkx wrote:

I printed out the entire holiday return policy document and took it with me.  It appears that many employees are instructed to obfuscate the return process in the hopes of discourging you.  When they wanted to give me store credit, I handed them the print out and politely asked them where it states that.  Not a problem.

You also could have turned into a loud, obnoxious butthole and disrupted the entire store until the asst. wonk rolled over with the refund.  That usually works.  don't ask me how I know.

Thanks for your feedback!  I will return to the store on Monday and hopefully the store manager will honor the return policy despite the fact that gift cards were partially used to purchase my NT.  I will also print it out and bring it along to try and pursuade him to work with me. 

I am so dismayed to find myself stuck with the NT if the manager doesn't budge from what appears to be a lack of outright and clear disclosure to anyone purchasing gift cards or thinking of using a gift card to purchase anything electronic or a NT at B&N.  You know I was so happy when I purchased my NT and the guy that helped me in the store was super.  He assured me that there would be nothing to concern myself with if a problem was encountered with the NT or if I changed my mind about the NT.  I guess he figured I could just swap it for something else or a store credit.

I have been a very loyal fan and customer of B&N for years and this is my 2nd Nook.  I can assure you that I refuse to be stuck with $200 worth of B&N credit.  At this time I feel so caged that I do not want to continue purchasing ANYTHING from B&N because of they did not clearly explain their no refund policy when I purchased my NT.  I mean really, where on the receipt does it say that I am stuck if I use gift cards?

At this point I applaud anyone who is lucky enough to get a full refund for their NT and buy a competitor's ereader or a real TABLET.  Good for you!!!!  And I really am in awe and applaud those that successfully root and unblock the NT's stubborn settings to allow the unit to act as a TABLET.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for your support.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I've been following your situation in the other thread, gilgomez, and that truly does suck. I was not aware that gift cards were a tar pit, even if only used for a fraction of the purchase price. I'm sure there good business reasons for this, but they certainly don't benefit the customer. We truly are nothing but revenue streams to these people anymore.

Following this thread, I am probably going with a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus myself. I've cashed in my credit card bonus points, and am waiting for my Amazon gift certificates now. I may miss the sale price, but I'm sure another will be along.

I'd really been lusting after the Asus Transformer Prime, but I love the 7 inch form factor. Anyone aware of a device like the prime in a smaller format? The techie in me wants to go for it, but I know I won't be able to carry it around as easily. I'm sure the Galaxy Tab is more than powerful enough to get my by... at leat for a couple more years!

For those of you who have the GT7+ in your hands, how smooth is it compared to the NT? I've had a NC for 6 months, and was very impressed with how smooth my wife's NT is in comparison. I assume the GT7+ is as spry, no?

Not sure what I'll do about my Wired subscription, since it can't currently be read in the Nook Android app at all. I may have been screwed by B&N's DRM on that count. I know better than to buy DRM-encumbered content.

roustabout

I wrote "I tested the 3 dollar Calibre plugin from the market."

And neglecte to include "by installing it on the Asus Transformer, the only device I own that I might need an app like that on." 

Bob writes "Isn't having access to 3rd party apps great?"

Absolutely.  I research products before I buy them.  I didn't get an NC until I knew what it was and was not able to do. Likewise with the NST.

"Calibre on my desktop seems to get a bit confused as well, so I've got a bit of a mess with 500 epubs on my device that Calibre doesn't know are there. Are you aware of any way to get Calibre to match books on device with its inventory?

I have around 300 epubs, and so far am not seeing Calibre on the desktop unable to poll a Gingerbread or Froyo device and accurately report what's on the device in main memory, what's on the device in the SD card, and what's in my library.  Since many of these files are magazines, they'll continue to increment, so I may hit a wall in the future, but I haven't hit it yet. 

The poll doesn't work over the MTP interface, of course, and neither does even the most basic file management, such as accurate reporting of file creation and deletion, which is why Honeycomb is a very poor ereading platform for me.  I may well ebay an HTC Evo View once there are ICS devices in the wild and we can see if Google has reinstated useful mass storage access or if they've decided that they don't care that they're offering an interface for file management that is unusably bad.

(folder sorting)  "Would the B&N reader support that? I thought all books had to be in a single directory."

Yes, but the reader can recurse within that directory. I just confirmed that my sideloaded content on the SD card is displaying covers, authors, titles, etc. within the folder structure Calibre created on the NC. 

"The Calibre Library apps is really just a downloader. If I can get the opds functionality working correctly in a reader, that will be a far cleaner interface."

I run a Synology filer at the house and have tried just pointing various ereaders directly at the epub library on it (the filer runs its own http server if I choose.)  It works but not well.  Likewise with pointing readers at the http server in Calibre.  I want access to my library when I'm not home/when the computer isn't on/when Calibre's not running, not just when all 3 of those requirements are met, and I also want batch operations.  

I have a real computer for managing the content on my devices, and my goal is to be able to refresh content on the devices periodically, then walk out the door with no loss of reading utility.  Now, if I run into a wall in terms of how many files Calibre can track, that will be a headache, but right now, I have a single interface and can plug the NC, the NST and a little media player in;  if there's a title I want or am currently reading I can sideload it to any of the devices.  I can pull content from the NST or NC into my repository to archive it.  I typically wait about 45 seconds after connecting while Calibre finishes polling my device. 

Honeycomb breaks this. The best I can do with the transformer is eject the sd card and add titles to that card in bulk, but polling bare cards in Calibre is very different than polling a reader.  You don't get a re-poll easily, for instance, after you've copied files across;  Calibre thinks the SD care is just another place to store copies rather than a live reader  Since there's only an MTP interface available in Honeycomb, the device cannot be polled (and since it's a Google MTP interface, I wouldn't trust the poll.) 

"Nook users won't be able to see even that level of functionality without rooting and/or loading 3rd party apps, as you seem to have done."

I disagree.  Calibre management on the Nook and Nook Color work very well, and should work equally well on the NT. 

What rooting the NC gave me that regular Nook users don't have was

- landscape reading the week I bought the device (the feature was announced at launch, but not delivered until December)

- synching reading positions across every book in my library via fbsync, not just the BN content. 

- rooting the NST additionally gave me better control over my magazine content. 

The BN reader has some very nice stuff built into it and works very well with Calibre. 

Honeycomb and I suspect ICS will degrade that for many users. If ICS preserves the MTP interface, it will degrade Calibre over Froyo/gingerbread.

I tried explaining why these issues might be important to this audience to the actual devs who were here (I counted two) for a bit;  they were not interested in understanding the question.  ICS seemed to be their primary goal for the NT.  In fact, they did not seem to be application developers nearly so much as they were OS adapters, at least from what they had to say here. 

I have not picked up an NT yet, in part because I know that out of the box it would be a lot harder for me to work with (especially the partition table)  than the NC, and in part because of the very off-putting attitude in the NT dev community.  The attitude is night and day from the NC dev community.  Believe it or not, I could and can easily afford an NT and was, in fact, very tempted to get one; there are some pretty basic experiments that I was surprised that no one had tried at 2 weeks after launch.  They may have been tried now, they may not;  I'm paying much less attention to NT development than I did initially, since the folks working on it are clearly not interested in points of view other than their own, any more than Barnes and Noble are.  

I may pick one up later, as the NT may be the best and least expensive Android device which supports real file management that will reach the market.  I understand there are going to be some low-mileage CPO units hitting the market soon :smileyhappy:

bobstro
0 Kudos

On Calibre and 3rd party apps

roustabout wrote:

[...] 

I have around 300 epubs, and so far am not seeing Calibre on the desktop unable to poll a Gingerbread or Froyo device and accurately report what's on the device in main memory, what's on the device in the SD card, and what's in my library.  Since many of these files are magazines, they'll continue to increment, so I may hit a wall in the future, but I haven't hit it yet. 

Your post inspired me to go and give Calibre another chance. I let it sit for an extended period, and lo and behold, it did correctly detect all my sideloaded epubs and match them to their Calibre library counterparts. This is a big relief! Thanks for that tip.

[...] Yes, but the reader can recurse within that directory. I just confirmed that my sideloaded content on the SD card is displaying covers, authors, titles, etc. within the folder structure Calibre created on the NC.

Good to know. I haven't gotten so far as having Calibre create a folder hierarchy.

[...] I run a Synology filer at the house and have tried just pointing various ereaders directly at the epub library on it (the filer runs its own http server if I choose.)  It works but not well.  Likewise with pointing readers at the http server in Calibre.  I want access to my library when I'm not home/when the computer isn't on/when Calibre's not running, not just when all 3 of those requirements are met, and I also want batch operations.  

Have you tried the opds functionality in Calibre? I'm hoping it provides a better interface than the web interface.

"Nook users won't be able to see even that level of functionality without rooting and/or loading 3rd party apps, as you seem to have done."

I disagree.  Calibre management on the Nook and Nook Color work very well, and should work equally well on the NT. 

I meant to refer to the Nook Library app, but I'm beginning to appreciate Calibre more!

[...] - synching reading positions across every book in my library via fbsync, not just the BN content. 

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? I've seen fbsync, and even ran fbreader for a while. Are you using fbreader to get this synchronization, or are you able to sync it with the B&N reader as well?

[...] Honeycomb and I suspect ICS will degrade that for many users. If ICS preserves the MTP interface, it will degrade Calibre over Froyo/gingerbread.

I tried explaining why these issues might be important to this audience to the actual devs who were here (I counted two) for a bit;  they were not interested in understanding the question.  ICS seemed to be their primary goal for the NT.  In fact, they did not seem to be application developers nearly so much as they were OS adapters, at least from what they had to say here

I know everybody seems to be storming to ICS, but you've the first I've seen to point out this issue. I need to get more familiar with it, as to sacrifice core functionality just for "something new" would be a real shame.

I'm keeping up with the NT developments since my wife's unit will be an ongoing support concern for me. I'm right at the cusp of bailing on my NC and going to a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus after reading the comments here. I just know there will be something better along in 3 months, but I've learned you can wait forever for the next best thing.

I'm going to start a Calibre thread over in the general topics "club" if there's not one already. I hope you'll poke in with some of your insights!

mohawkx
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I've been following your situation in the other thread, gilgomez, and that truly does suck. I was not aware that gift cards were a tar pit, even if only used for a fraction of the purchase price. I'm sure there good business reasons for this, but they certainly don't benefit the customer. We truly are nothing but revenue streams to these people anymore.

Following this thread, I am probably going with a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus myself. I've cashed in my credit card bonus points, and am waiting for my Amazon gift certificates now. I may miss the sale price, but I'm sure another will be along.

I'd really been lusting after the Asus Transformer Prime, but I love the 7 inch form factor. Anyone aware of a device like the prime in a smaller format? The techie in me wants to go for it, but I know I won't be able to carry it around as easily. I'm sure the Galaxy Tab is more than powerful enough to get my by... at leat for a couple more years!

For those of you who have the GT7+ in your hands, how smooth is it compared to the NT? I've had a NC for 6 months, and was very impressed with how smooth my wife's NT is in comparison. I assume the GT7+ is as spry, no?

Not sure what I'll do about my Wired subscription, since it can't currently be read in the Nook Android app at all. I may have been screwed by B&N's DRM on that count. I know better than to buy DRM-encumbered content.

The Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus is just as smooth as the NT.  The UI is first rate and the samsung app store has some of the best apps available and most for free.  It also has the market preinstalled.  The two cameras, mic, skype, audio reader, etc are exceptional.  After 2 hours of using it, I realized that this is what i wanted all along.  The NT at it's price point is a very good device for what it is allowed to do.  The GTab7plus is so much more for a little more money that there is no comparison of the two.  You better order quick.  It is my understanding that the special 349.00 price only goes through tomorrow. 

I'll go out on a limb here and say, "Get one now".

roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: On Calibre and 3rd party apps

The samsung is a very tempting device - I spent some time last night looking at the 7 plus and the 8.9 and thinking about grabbing one.  But I have a 7 inch device right now that works well - testing the Honeycomb interface for Calibre actually kept me from the buy, since all the New, Shiny stuff runs Honeycomb.  

"Have you tried the opds functionality in Calibre? I'm hoping it provides a better interface than the web interface."

I may have - that is, I've used the built-in Calibre server, which I suspect is running OPDS?   

I meant to refer to the Nook Library app, but I'm beginning to appreciate Calibre more!

The reader works pretty well with Calibre :smileyhappy: 

[...] - synching reading positions across every book in my library via fbsync, not just the BN content.

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? I've seen fbsync, and even ran fbreader for a while. Are you using fbreader to get this synchronization, or are you able to sync it with the B&N reader as well 

I use fbreader as my primary epub reader, for both BN content and other content.

I manage access to my content myself;  there is an equivalent app called Aldiko Sync for those who would prefer to leave DRM intact but still have a different-than-BN-epub-reader.  

Since fbreader is reading 100% of my stuff by default, I'm able to sync across 100% of it.  The fellow who wrote fbreader has even released the server source so you can run your sync off your own hardware.   

Both the Aldiko and FBReader folks are interested in building this sync into their apps themselves.  Once that's done, then you won't have to root your device to get the sync to work.  As it stands, the apps require root because one app (fbsync) is editing another app's database of reading positions (fbreader.)