Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: On Calibre and 3rd party apps

Robo, there are two separate things happening, GPS and Google Location Services. 

GLS can tell you, quite accurately, where you are in most cities without GPS at all. 

then, there are gps receivers.  My 5" media player has one - no cell contract, just a little GPS receiver.  If I'm in range of wifi, it is "assisted GPS," meaning it hooks into wifi and asks GLS where it more-or-less is, but if I'm driving, it'll figure out where I am (best if I put it on the dash, but it'll work from my breast pocket.) 

The GLS thing is done this way:  those cars that drove all over creation taking pictures?  They were also snooping on every wifi router they could.  They collected data on the hardware addresses for all of them, and dumped them in a world-readable database.  The privacy implications of that are pretty staggering -- if a hacker can get your router to tell it it's list of wired and wireless MAC addresses, and it's external IP address, he can pinpoint you pretty accurately. 

I believe there's now an opt-out at Google to delist your wifi from their database.  Ah, yes, if you set your wifi up with an SSID ending in _nomap, Google will ignore it - next time they drive by, or next time your wifi signal is heard by an Android device deemeed "reliable" by Google.  

This was done to comply with European action against Google.  Here in the Land of the Free, if a company wants to do it, it must be OK - even if it's something that might be actionable (people have been prosecuted for wardriving) if an actual meat citizen did it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
patgolfneb

Re: Nook Tablet -v- Galaxy 7.0 Plus

Robo, yes my device has gps. I belive it is possible to add turn by torn to nook color using an external receiver. The lack of bluetooth or at least having bluetooth connected to an antenna is the issue. I have not heard if the tablet has a similar chipset.
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Omnigeek wrote:

[...] What I took exception to was the "B&N screwed me" in your statement -- as well as attributing it to DRM when it's the format the PUBLISHER chose to use for the magazine, not the DRM. 

I didn't write that B&N screwed me. I wrote that my plan to transition off of B&N firmware was screwed by B&N's DRM. Change that to "DRM locking the pub to the B&N device", if you prefer, but it's the fact that I can't access content on the Nook app, or anywhere but on a Nook running B&N 1.4.x that's the problem. I find it an odd stance for companies that claim they want to sell me media! Hopefully, B&N will add this functionality to the Android app, since it's clearly something they are privy to.

I sometimes wonder what the publishers are thinking when they limit my ability to use their material this way. I'd love to continue my Conde Nast subscriptions, but I do want to read the magazines if I do so. I guess I'm a rebel that way. (And before anybody takes this as an attack on B&N, I'm equally annoyed when a publisher encourages me to read their material "on my portable device", only to find they mean an Apple device.)

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Robo,

Different tabs handle GPS differently.  The Lenovo Ideapad A1 claims it is a stand alone GPS function.  That would mean it could handle rerouting.  That would also mean that it has maps and some type of navigation route optimizer built in.  Others  need wifi because they don't keep the entire map on the device.  There may be some that even need wifi/3G to calculate everything from some server.

Technically the only thing GPS does is tell the device where you are.  GPS and navigation are not the same thing.  It is the navigation features that differ by device.  As an example, I have GPS from Onstar on my car.  However, the version I have doesn't know anything except where I am and the routed that is in the car.  If I need to reroute, I have to call Onstar again (or if I decide to change destination, which is why I didn't renew the GPS part of the Onstar service).  Other GM cars with Onstar have more full  featured naviation features.  On your iPhone, your GPS is also likely being supplemented by aGPS which uses cell tower triangulation (useful in big cities where tall buildings can block satellite signals)

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Good point nom, so comfortable with navigaion I didn't properly separate the functions. Not to swift for a guy that owns a smart phone and 2 golf gps devices.
deemure
0 Kudos

I do know the older iphones used the cell towers as their location finder.  If you tried to navigate with it using any maps, it often showed you in a field or somewhere, not very accurate of course.

I thought that real GPS had been added to later versions, but could be mistaken.

It's funny when even DSLRs now use it for geotagging and that other phones have had gps for a long time now.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

Re: Nook Tablet -v- Galaxy 7.0 Plus - GPS Functions

"Real" GPS systems utilize an antenna which receives singnals from sattelites in fixed locations (geosynchronous orbits) relative to the earth's surface.  If signals from enough sattelites (mnimum of two for horizontal positioning, preferably three or more for altitude information) are available, the gps utilizes the difference in time singnals from the sattelites to triangulate its location on the earth's surface and provides the position inormation to software that displays this information.  In simple systems, the information may be displayed only in terms of coordinates (longitude/latitude or other units and possibly elevation) while more sophisticatd systems show the location on a map display and may provide tracking and routing informaiton.

The ability to display location on a map depends on the availabilty of data to or on the display device.  T

As delivered, the iPhone provides the capability to display map information that is downloaded over the cellular data network - if you do not have cellular service, it displays the location on a blank screen since here is no map data on the device.  You can purchse applciations that allow map data to be stored on the phone and your location to be displayed on the map even when there is no cell signal.  This data can range from street data (about 1.2 GB for the entire US) to detailed topographic or sattelite imagery for more limited areas.

Devices that include a gps receiver can display location information without requiring either a cellular or wifi signal.

The NC (and presumably the NT) includes a bluetooth receiver that is not acitvated in the stock OS.  Rooting/dual booting the NC permits this receiver to be turned on and connected to an external bluetooth gps receiver that will provide location information to the device.  Map apps can then be downloaded to permit display of location either as coordiantes or overlaid on a map.

Hope this information is helpful,

Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott

Small correction:  You need a minimum of 3 satellites for location, and 4 for altitude.

Draw a Venn diagram, and you'll see that two intersecting circles of known sizes cross in two points (unless you are precisely equidistant from each).  Three circles will give you a single point - an accurate GPS location.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis

Swamprat wrote:

"Real" GPS systems utilize an antenna which receives singnals from sattelites in fixed locations (geosynchronous orbits) relative to the earth's surface. ...

Not geosynchronous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Space_segment

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Contributor
covimom

Well, I played and played with my Nook Tablet ..  I honestly loved it, I downloaded all kinds of free stuff from Amazon and loved the ability too... Then it got taken away - the update caught up with me.. I am techie enough to not want to be hemmed in and not techie enough to feel comfortable rooting my nook.  My luck it would become a paperweight.  So sadly it went back today and I got the Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus instead. When I did my homework for the Nook Tablet I read that 3rd party apps could be down loaded  with the correct apk and allowing 3rd party apps so I bought the Nook Tablet, then the update.. I still use and love my Nook 1st Ed. . 

I am glad that Barnes and Noble put the update out locking Nooks in before the extended return time ran out, for that kudos to B&N., I can only imagine how many people would have been PO'd had it come out after the return period happened.  So sad, the NT was at a great price point, great screen, good reading experience so many good things... Except for locking it down.   Lucky for me I bought at BestBuy, had some rewards cash and the Galaxy was 50.00 off this week, in addition I was able to return my "must use" nook car charger... So for not so much more (unlike before Christmas) I got a tablet and am now a happy camper.   

PS when I returned the car charger to B&N and was asked why, I explained and the person helping me said they had rooted their NT.  ..... Hope B&N hears everyone.  I really would like them to succeed in this market

Contributor
sisquack
0 Kudos

I would be very interested to see what you thought of the 2 devices back to back if the NT was rooted.

Contributor
covimom

Not sure you r asking me..but as I sit here using the G.Tab i find this one lighter and easy to navigate. Even had i rooted the Nook tab sucessfully I feel I would have still been disapointed in the end. This has screen shot capabilities as well as cut and paste(which I was missing in the nook.) This sitting on the arm of my chair and i am typing pretty fast. I may even try out the camera w. Skype after all :-). i am disapointed though. I purchased a couple of apps(b/4 knowing about the update) and it woukd seem i have lost those. Unless someone out ther knows how to make them work
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

covimom,

> as I sit here using the G.Tab i find this one lighter and easy to navigate. <

I'm impressed you can tell the 1/2 ounce difference.  :smileywink:

> Even had i rooted the Nook tab sucessfully I feel I would have still been disapointed in the end. This has screen shot capabilities as well as cut and paste(which I was missing in the nook.)  <

No cut&paste on the Nook, but screen shots are easy (hold the N button down and click quickly on Volume Down).

- Mark

DeanGibson
Topics: 94
Kudos: 2,336
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Fairy tale?

Mark_OB1 wrote:

- Mark

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-princess-and-the-pea-toy-studio-llc/1107919897?ean=2940043872616...

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Re: Fairy tale?

DeanGibson wrote:

Mark_OB1 wrote:

- Mark

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-princess-and-the-pea-toy-studio-llc/1107919897?ean=2940043872616...

Now, now, you're not calling him a princess are you?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Re: Fairy tale?

Omnigeek,

> Now, now, you're not calling him a princess are you? <

I'm guessing that Dean assumed (as I did) that covimom was female.

- Mark