Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Re: Nook Tablet vs. Kindle Fire

Best Buy also has them, available online and in many stores for $299

Distinguished Correspondent
moldybagel

Finally set my hands on a Kindle Fire today. Pretty decent and intriguing (excellent marketing). I still wouldn't give up my Nook though. I could see having both devices, but not giving up the Nook Tablet.

The apps are limited on the Nook, but the selection is growing every week (no matter how small). I added a 8GB micro SD card yesterday (the entire capacity of the Fire minus online storage). The nook is a much faster device and is slimmer/weighs less.

Maybe it's just me, but I really like living a few blocks away from B&N. I like being able to use my Nook at the store and relax. Also makes me feel closer to the company I'm supporting even though they probably only care about the next dollar I spend.

Hands down I still think the Nook Tablet is a better value than the Kindle Fire.

I love messages! Feel free to message me for help, nook friend requests, to talk, or for any other reason!
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

And they're now available on Amazon for $299 once again. This time it says they're sourced direct from Amazon rather than from J&R Music. Another note: If you add SquareTrade extended warranty protection to your Amazon order, it looks like the price is much better than you can get if you just go to the SquareTrade site yourself.

(I'm about this close to pulling the trigger on this deal. I love my NST for reading, but having it has whetted my appetite for a full-featured 7" tablet.)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Sun_Cat wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

And they're now available on Amazon for $299 once again. This time it says they're sourced direct from Amazon rather than from J&R Music. Another note: If you add SquareTrade extended warranty protection to your Amazon order, it looks like the price is much better than you can get if you just go to the SquareTrade site yourself.

(I'm about this close to pulling the trigger on this deal. I love my NST for reading, but having it has whetted my appetite for a full-featured 7" tablet.)

I pulled the trigger at Best Buy.  I ended up paying sales tax obviously which I wouldn't have done at Amazon but I am a Silver Premier member so I get 45 day return.  Unless you really like the reading experience on the NT, I think the Galaxy Tax 7+ is the way to go at just $50 more (and get full Honeycomb, possibly ICS later, GPS, cameras).  Of course, like you, I already have a nook e-ink device for pure reading experience so this was more like gadget love than anything else.

I still think I might want the iPad 3 when it comes but still couldn't resist this deal.  Obviously, this indicates prices are likely to drop like a rock now LOL

Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

i just bought a kindle fire on ebay for $180 new, unopened. I will let you know when i get it, will probably be a week from now

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Robert...I hope it's OK to quote you on the differences of the two devices on one of my cooking forums. You always have the best info very worth sharing.

TIA, Doreen

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

The fire superior device is the one that works best for your needs. For me it is the NT. For others it is the Fire. Amazon does have have a lot going for them in terms of their ecosystem and app support. That being said I refuse to buy a device which does not allow me to uphradethe storage. If the Fire had an SD slot it would have been a much better device. For me a rooted Book Tablet does what I want for now. I have access to the a Amazon app store and the google market as well as a launcher that doesn't suck. I love the built in reading software, it works really well. I lovwle the shop in store and read in store options as well. I love going to my local bn, getting a tea and kicking back with my tablet. That is something that Amazon does not get nor are they capable of providing that experience. It feels more personal to me. Shopping online is not personable nor social, even if in a quasi sort of fashion. Amazon and Barnes and Noble have wonderful services and devices. Choose wisely.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
New User
luv4goodbooks
0 Kudos

The Kindle Fire is so far superior to the Nook Tablet that it blows my mind. In fact, one of my children has the Nook and the other has the Kindle Fire and I totally feel like I am putting the one with the  nook at a disadvantage.  Did you know you can't even get a dictionary on a nook? You can get an app, (for $2.99, the same app is free on the kindle fire) but if you are at a place where you don't have access to wi-fi, like school, then you can't use the dictionary.  Whereas on the kindle fire, you can buy a dictionary-thesauraus combo.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

luv4goodbooks wrote:

The Kindle Fire is so far superior to the Nook Tablet that it blows my mind. In fact, one of my children has the Nook and the other has the Kindle Fire and I totally feel like I am putting the one with the  nook at a disadvantage.  Did you know you can't even get a dictionary on a nook? You can get an app, (for $2.99, the same app is free on the kindle fire) but if you are at a place where you don't have access to wi-fi, like school, then you can't use the dictionary.  Whereas on the kindle fire, you can buy a dictionary-thesauraus combo.

There is a (free) dictionary built into the reader on the nook that doesn't require the internet, and if you want to buy a dictionary, B&N is more than happy to sell you whatever dictionaries you want. You'll need the internet to buy and download them, same as with the kindle, but after that you won't need the internet to access them.

Maybe you're just confused about how the nook works? The info you need is in the manual, or you can politely ask questions here - we're more than willing to help you learn to use your device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Reviving a zombie thread in order to post totally wrong information from a newly registered username strikes me as less than sincere. DNFTT