Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)

Also includes a link to a Fire comparison.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/04/16/nook-tablet-vs-samsung-galaxy-tab-2-7/

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

Re: Nook Tablet vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)

Nice review -- very balanced and reasonably comprehensive.

(I'm still loving my NST for reading and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus for everything else.)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Reading this, I have to wonder if they've had hands-on with either device. I would really like to see a comparison of practical usage factors such as battery life, network performance and the like. It's a nice point-by-point run down based on data sheets.

What is, of course, not mentioned is that the NT closes the gap even further once rooted. It won't gain bluetooth or cameras, of course, but the software limitations drop away, so long as what you want runs on Android 2x.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

Well, even though this review seems to focus a lot on the apps side of things, overall I think it was pretty fair.  That being said, yes, it would have been nice to see some more head to head comparisons between the hardware and it's performance.  I was also waiting to read about how great the NT feels in your hands compared to other, more squared off tablets, but the only mention was that the Galaxy weighed 2 oz. less, so it was (apparently) more comfortable for longer periods (don't think I agree with this statement, but then, I don't have a Galaxy).  Even with the B&N self inflicted limitations on the nook, it did get quite a few kudos, not the least of which were the beautiful screen, and the app store carrying apps that fit the nook and work well on it too.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

I have both plus a few others I read on the NT, I play games on the Galaxy Tab, I don't care for reading on a full sized tablet & I don't like games on a 7" reader/tablet...I think it is unfair to both items to compare them both were intended for differnet uses...

bobstro
0 Kudos

Ah, hadn't realized the Samsung GT 2 7 is on pre-order now. I placed my order today!

roustabout
0 Kudos

IMO, the 7 plus is a better value - better screen, more storage, faster CPU.

There are a few still out there, though none available locally at retail to me.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Also LED flash for rear camera (missing in the 2). I agree. But they seem to be scarce, other than refurbished ones, which may be a great alternative. I see them for around $275.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

roustabout wrote:

Also LED flash for rear camera (missing in the 2). I agree. But they seem to be scarce, other than refurbished ones, which may be a great alternative. I see them for around $275.

I read some reviews that stated the original 7 was a better device than the 7 Plus. :smileyhappy:

I'd tracked the 7 Plus down to $299 and nearly pulled the trigger two weeks ago, but I knew the updated cheaper models were on the way, so managed to avoid the impulse. I won't miss the 802.11a. The 8 GB v 16 GB storage is a non-issue since I prefer to keep most content on uSD cards, and what I do put on-board is only a few GB. My existing devices barely hit 1.2 GHz in regular usage, so I doubt I'll miss the extra speed.

Besides the 50 bucks, what made my mind up was ICS on day one rather than the promise of an update. I want to do some development and need a "real" ICS device.

mohawkx
0 Kudos

I agree that the 7.0plus is the better buy, at least for my needs.  with the HDMI cable, it replaced my Dish network subscription, saving me 46.00 a month and the B&N reader for android is better than the stock reader I had on the Nook tab.  Especially the beta version they downloaded to my GalTab7.0plus.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Besides the 50 bucks, what made my mind up was ICS on day one rather than the promise of an update. I want to do some development and need a "real" ICS device.

Yeah, I've seen some pessimism about when Samsung will release ICS for the 7+ and whether they will continue to support it. To me it doesn't make sense for them to drop support. The two tabs are so similar that it seems clear enough they were designed to co-exist as two choices in the product line, similar to the NT 8 and 16. If that's not Samsung's intention, then either someone at Samsung is an idiot or I am. :catlol:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Not totally related, but today's 1saleaday deal is an Acer Iconia 7" tablet for $180.

(If you buy, use a throwaway email address.  I never got any spam at my main email address until the first purchase I made there using it, and now I get 10+ spam emails per day...  I've ordered several things and all have been exactly as described; sheets I ordered two weeks ago just arrived yesterday, so occasionally shipping is slow, but I have no complaints other than that pesky spam.)

bobstro
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Not totally related, but today's 1saleaday deal is an Acer Iconia 7" tablet for $180.

That's a nice little tablet. I wish I'd seen it last year! The $180 is for a refurb, but I'm losing my fear of those lately.

Contributor
lfeuln
0 Kudos

I have a Nook Tablet with CM7 on SD card.

I'd love the better speakers, VPN support and of course ICS from the Tab 2.

What annoys me is that I still won't get MLB At Bat live video, and I'd lose official Hulu Plus support. I've tried a couple of hacked apks on CM7 and the quality is noticeably inferior, so I have to switch back to stock for that.

And then there's the ASUS Google tablet rumored to come out in a few months.  It might be worth waiting for that...

Contributor
rocky1234

b and n has misled their customers about the tablet that is not a tablet that if i were buying now knowing what i know about my nook that the samsung would be my choice -

the  b and n apps are lacking and the existing ones are trival with no productive value.

gabourele

instead of complaining about the apps try contacting the developers to create one for the device im sure every other tab had to do something to get specific apps on their tabs, i mean really complaining about the apps store here is going on deaf ears if you dont want to put the elbow grease in to help make it better.

How I see it is if it can access email, play video , games, music, books, mags, newspapers, and allow you to edit documents, Then sorry this is a Tablet. Look at all the other tabs that have their own stores: Viewsonic, Amadud aka amazon, blackberry etc. Ever since that  yahoo expose posted early last year about some app developers creating loops in the android market to hack into peoples personal info when they download their apps out the market, Many tab makers have been creating their own stores and monitoring and testing what gets put there for their customers saftey before its released. Notice how google has changed things since that article was printed on yahoo. Notice how apple just recently started deleting copycat apps. This is why many people have been saying if you want a specific app contact the developer about getting it on nook.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Czechboy

rocky1234 wrote:

b and n has misled their customers about the tablet that is not a tablet that if i were buying now knowing what i know about my nook that the samsung would be my choice -

the  b and n apps are lacking and the existing ones are trival with no productive value.

Tablet is in the eye of the beholder.  I happen to feel it is a tablet.  It does what I need it to do (and more actually).  Maybe, the next time you're interested in buying a tablet, you should research it to see if it's really going to work the way you expect it to.  If you need one to access the Android Market, use bluetooth, access a cell network and have a gps, then pony up the $500 it will take to buy it, and you won't be disappointed.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Czechboy wrote:

rocky1234 wrote:

Tablet is in the eye of the beholder.  I happen to feel it is a tablet.  It does what I need it to do (and more actually).  Maybe, the next time you're interested in buying a tablet, you should research it to see if it's really going to work the way you expect it to.  If you need one to access the Android Market, use bluetooth, access a cell network and have a gps, then pony up the $500 it will take to buy it, and you won't be disappointed.

Maybe you weren't paying attention to the thread you are in but the Galaxy tab 2 7" can do all of that for the same price as the NT (it does have less storage than the NT16 but more RAM than the NT8)

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

I had a customer come in with one of the new Galaxy Tabs today.

It's a generally nice unit, nice and snappy and a fairly nice size (though I still maintain that all these iPad clones look the same: boring). ICS is decent, though I'm still not a big fan of stock Android in general. I'm not entirely sure if what I was dislking was Samsung's TouchWiz bullpocky or the stock ICS, but the home screen in particular felt far too busy for my tastes.

But crikey the screen. That's where the cost savings came in - it feels like there isn't any lamination on it at all. It was difficult to get to see the screen in the store's lighting because of the glare, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever want to use it as my go-to reader.

So if I was in the market for a new Tablet (not a reader) I would give it some serious consideration. At this point though I'd really just wait to see what Google has coming around the corner before I dropped that change on it though. But seeing the Tab really made me love my NT's screen even more.

Contributor
Boatbuilder

Tablet is in the eye of the beholder. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Boy is that ever the truth. I feel kind of sorry for the reviewers because they often find themselves comparing apples and oranges so they have to use comparisons like a slight difference in weight. I've had a NC for over a year and I'm happy with it, but I have been wanting GPS and Bluetooth for music on a device I can use while I'm taking my walks. I know that a smart phone would do the trick, but I don't want the service contract and I'm more than satisfied with my trac phone for making calls.

I thought that my next purchase would probably be a tablet like the Galaxy Tab 7.0, but my concern was that it is a little big. I want to be able to carry it in a pocket when I am out and about and I know from using the Nook that most pockets just aren't big enough.

What I found when I started looking for an outside "tablet" was the Galaxy Player 5.0. Samsung doesn't even market it as a tablet, but it has bluetooth, wi-fi access, GPS, front and rear cameras, a microsd storage slot, and it actually works fairly well as a reader. The best part is that it fits easily into a pocket so I can carry it with me. A little pricey at about $220, but it is perfect for my needs. And, even if Samsung doesn't think so, it's a 5" tablet.