Contributor
Sorin
0 Kudos

Nook Touch root and Kindle app

Yould you root yours? is rooting capability a reason for getting the new Nook Touch? I know I rooted mine and Kindle works well, but I am interested to know other opinions.

found a rooting tutorial in here:

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/06/how-to-root-nook-touch-and-side-load-apps-kindle-adw-launcher-revie...

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch root and Kindle app

[ Edited ]

Do you lose the "Read in Store" feature? I'm not referring to general WiFi connectivity. Can you still read a book for an hour?

I replaced the stock ROM on my NOOKcolor, so I don't think I'll bother rooting the Touch. If there was a way to obtain better library management of shelves or book metadata (including tags) recognition I would reconsider.

Contributor
Sorin
0 Kudos

No, I did not loose any features. Rooting just opens it up to install new apps, it doesn't replace its firmware (like many did for Nook Color). In my case, I did it for Kindle, so I can have two stores. I also own a Nook Color, but in its case I did replace its original firmware with the CyanogenMod.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Now that you're rooted on the N2E, can you access the folder that the nookbooks download to?

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Now that you're rooted on the N2E, can you access the folder that the nookbooks download to?

I am curious about this as well.   I've never rooted a device before but it is somewhat tempting.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I am curious about this as well.   I've never rooted a device before but it is somewhat tempting.

Rooting allows you to get full use out of all your Android devices. I root all my Android devices and have access to all of the original functions plus improvements made by outside developers.

keriflur
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

mykoffee wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Rooting allows you to get full use out of all your Android devices. I root all my Android devices and have access to all of the original functions plus improvements made by outside developers.

So... can you confirm about access to the download folder?

I'm familiar with the concept of rooting (this is far from my first android device), but I'm not interested in adding apps or rooting just for the sake of rooting.  I need to know I'm actually going to get this one thing, which is the only thing I'd root for.

New User
Aq_Computer
0 Kudos

Greetings fellow Nook Owners....

My isuses with Ebooks has been the DRM........ I have been on forums and what I do is read my books on my Nook first generation black and white with bottom color screen panel........ I found out that AMAZON books sometimes cost lower so I started purchasing them to read on my computer.  After searching the internet... I found a way to remove the DRM from my Kindle books and that is what I do.. I remove it and then I convert it to Epub so I can read it on my Nook.  (regardless to what others say..... Its not against the law as long as you are not distributing books to others)  Also on another note.... if you accidently purchase a book on amazon (Kindle)  you have 7 days to get a full refund.  You have zero..... 0  change of getting a refund from the Nook store unless you dispute your credit card.  This is the reason I may be moving to the Kindle Fire when it comes out.. You can load the Nook app to read your current stuff and then just purchase new books from amazon. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Aq_Computer wrote:

Greetings fellow Nook Owners....

My isuses with Ebooks has been the DRM........ I have been on forums and what I do is read my books on my Nook first generation black and white with bottom color screen panel........ I found out that AMAZON books sometimes cost lower so I started purchasing them to read on my computer.  After searching the internet... I found a way to remove the DRM from my Kindle books and that is what I do.. I remove it and then I convert it to Epub so I can read it on my Nook.  (regardless to what others say..... Its not against the law as long as you are not distributing books to others)  Also on another note.... if you accidently purchase a book on amazon (Kindle)  you have 7 days to get a full refund.  You have zero..... 0  change of getting a refund from the Nook store unless you dispute your credit card.  This is the reason I may be moving to the Kindle Fire when it comes out.. You can load the Nook app to read your current stuff and then just purchase new books from amazon. 

Not really getting into it, but from everything I've read, making a backup copy for personal use or in this case stripping the DRM for personal use is currently not legal.  The law doesn't cover eBooks at this point, but it's a civil violation, not a criminal one.  Most think that because the law allows it for software and other media, it applies to eBooks, but everything indicates that is not so at this point.  The most knowledgeable on this is Doug Pardee, maybe he'll chime in with his explanation.

It's unlikely that anyone would ever do anything about it though.

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Since we're dragging this thread up, any chance anyone's got an answer regarding file organization on the rooted N2E? I'm not interested in apps or games for it, I just want better file organization.

Contributor
xliderider
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

If the Android Market is enabled on the rooted Nook2E, then something like Root Explorer should be able to "see" the folder the B&N content is downloaded to.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Aq_Computer wrote:
... (regardless to what others say..... Its not against the law as long as you are not distributing books to others) ...

Yes it is.  Removing any DRM is against the law in the US under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

"It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself."

Personally, I think that's INSANE... but it's still the law.

There is a special exemption for ebooks in certain cases:

"Literary works distributed in e-book format when all existing e-book editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book’s read-aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format. (A renewed exemption from 2006, based on a similar exemption approved in 2003.)"

So, you could make a case that you can buy and unlock IF the book wasn't available for your reader at all.  But, "cheaper" doesn't count as "not available."

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

When the N2E first came out Fictionwise wouldn't even let people download epub versions of pdb books that were already paid for.  That cause quite a bit of consternation on the forums since the N2E can not read pdb's.

►Without order there is chaos◄
keriflur

AlanNJ wrote:

When the N2E first came out Fictionwise wouldn't even let people download epub versions of pdb books that were already paid for.  That cause quite a bit of consternation on the forums since the N2E can not read pdb's.

It's a licensing issue, isn't it?  Fictionwise sold the customer the license for the .pdb and not the license for the .epub.

IMO it's all silliness, but the law is the law until the law changes or is deemed unconstitutional.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

It's a licensing issue, isn't it?  Fictionwise sold the customer the license for the .pdb and not the license for the .epub.

IMO it's all silliness, but the law is the law until the law changes or is deemed unconstitutional.

Yep.  Licensing issue.  Personally I think it's absurd but what do I know?  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄