Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Soft screen protector?

"They do offer it for this model, right?"

Only if you sign an oath that your house is feline-free :  )  

Yes, they offer it.  And I usually don't buy the warranties on these units but may well for these, as a nick would be very easy to put into the face of one of these and would really degrade the device, in my view.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch vs. Nook Glow

Byteguy wrote:

DeanGibson,

Unlike others, I do NOT want to thank you for your post.  I am TRYING to stay happy with my perfectly wonderful 11-month-old NST.  A well written, detailed, and blanced review like this is NOT helping me.

Cut it out.

LOL!!LOL!!

Dean Gibson you're such an ENABLER.

Contributor
Newcraft
0 Kudos

Thank you for the detailed and balanced review.  I've only had the ST to use as my comparison guide, because they didn't even have the Glow on display in my local store when the pre-order was announced (which is another saga unto itself).  But if there aren't appreciable differences in image quality, it's a Go.

I've loved every Nook model I've owned - had the first edition that got me through a 10-day European vacation without a need to recharge, have had a Color for nearly a year and it still works fine.  My new Glow (when it arrives) will be my work-horse, carry-everywhere model.

Contributor
bakersdozen12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Newcraft, I have both the Simple Touch and the Simple Touch with GlowLight. The only difference I noticed at all with the new one is that the screen felt different (not as smooth to the touch). I assumed this was due to the material that it is made with, probably because it's what helps the GlowLight work. After reading reviews people have been posting, it seems that the difference in the screen is causing the contrast, or "look", of the screen to be different. I literally had to take out my original Simple Touch and put it right next to my GlowLight to see if there really is a difference, because I initially noticed none. My conclusion is that yes, if you really, really look, it does look slightly different. Not at all in a bad way, just a tiny bit different. In all honesty, it makes no difference when reading a book. I wouldn't have noticed it at all if someone didn't mention it. Anyway, I think you'll love it. The addition of the light makes the upgrade worth it.
Contributor
The_Nookster
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

Steph0690 wrote:

If it was a joke I apologize. When I read the post it didn't really seem like one so if it was I'm sorry. :smileyhappy:

It was a joke.  Don't worry, my daughters inform me all the time that no reasonable human can understand my humor (sorry, keriflur).

Dean wrote a very well written and researched review without a bunch of soap-box delcarations. Very informative and refreshing.

Actually.. I was able to easily catch your tounge in cheek post.  It amazes me that some others didn't.

The_Nookster

Reader
KTheo
0 Kudos

Sorry, Sir or Madam Bibliophile,  I do not agree with you that there is no difference.  I have owned a Nook touch which  I loved but which was lost on a vacation.  I loved it. I thought it was superior to either of my kindle, my fire , and  my nook color.  It  was comfortable to hold and had a very sharp text.  Today I finally picked up a Nook Glow at my local Staples (I buy there  to keep my neighbors employed). Although I fully charged it I am sorry to report the screen appears a tad  more yellowed and the text is no where near as sharp as it had been on the simple touch. Some text is so faint I can hardly see it.  Although there is the ability to adjust the brightness of the "glow" light, apparently there is no way to adjust contrast or brightness on the screen itself for daytime  or lit room reading.  I cannot stress enough how yellow it is. I am presently planning to return it tomorrow for another Nook simple touch. Maybe yours came from a better batch than mine, but  I am really disappointed with what I ended up with here... 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

KTheo wrote:

Sorry, Sir or Madam Bibliophile,  I do not agree with you that there is no difference.  I have owned a Nook touch which  I loved but which was lost on a vacation.  I loved it. I thought it was superior to either of my kindle, my fire , and  my nook color.  It  was comfortable to hold and had a very sharp text.  Today I finally picked up a Nook Glow at my local Staples (I buy there  to keep my neighbors employed). Although I fully charged it I am sorry to report the screen appears a tad  more yellowed and the text is no where near as sharp as it had been on the simple touch. Some text is so faint I can hardly see it.  Although there is the ability to adjust the brightness of the "glow" light, apparently there is no way to adjust contrast or brightness on the screen itself for daytime  or lit room reading.  I cannot stress enough how yellow it is. I am presently planning to return it tomorrow for another Nook simple touch. Maybe yours came from a better batch than mine, but  I am really disappointed with what I ended up with here... 

The contrast is not adjustable on any eink screen, but people have reported diiferences between glow touches I would take it back and get a different one.

Frequent Contributor
level4op
0 Kudos

Good information on everyones post.  I receive a call as well and picked up my NSTG on Friday.  I don't plan on keeping it.  I really don't need another devise, but I wanted to check it out.  I have a Tablet, a Kindle and a Nook Color....Don't ask.  I've been using the glow light and I'm already down to 43% on the battery life. I started reading on Friday night.  So far, so good.  No issues to report, but I've only had it for a few days.  

I have to admit, that I really like it alot. The size and the weight is perfect.  I don't do a lot of night reading, so if I needed another devise, then I would just get the NST.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc

If you don't intend on keeping it, why would you buy one just to return it?  I would like to thank you for making the price higher for all of us...

And now back to the show:

The glowlight is awesome.  While traveling this weekend I was able to read the whole six hour drive, in the dark.  No eye strain, and those around me didn't even notice that it was on.  Perfect!  Very impressed.

The size and weight is way better when compared to my NOOK 1E.  The screen looks better as well.  Barnes and Noble really did a great job with this device.  Only thing it is missing is the cell radio that my N1E had, but with wifi tethering on my cell phone, I don't need that anyway.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

If you don't intend on keeping it, why would you buy one just to return it?  I would like to thank you for making the price higher for all of us...

What exactly does that have to do with what you paid for your device?

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Barnes and Noble will lose money on that device, they won't be able to sell it as new. They will surely pass that cost along to customers. It is probably a factor in the costs of devices. Sure that one instance isn't huge, but when you have 100 people, 1000 people, or even 1,000,000 people who do that, I think it is pretty obvious how that will affect pricing.
Inspired Contributor
ReformedReader
0 Kudos

I have to agree with h2oskierc.  Buying something to use knowing you will return it is just wrong.  That would be like buying your daughter a prom dress and then attempting to return it after prom is over.  Sorry to be so blunt, but this is just the way I feel.  Oh, perhaps you might buy something and take it home to see if it works for you and take it back if it does not.  But just because you want to check it out?  Especially with an item a store has in stock and has demo units available.  Just "check it out" in the store using the demo unit. 

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

ReformedReader wrote:

Just "check it out" in the store using the demo unit. 

I totally agree. Not only does buying and returning raise the price, it also discourages stores from having liberal return policies for folks who have legitimate reasons to return an item.