New User
Sherry81
0 Kudos

Nook USB Cable

Has anyone else had prolems with getting their usb cable replaced under warrenty? I have been trying for over two weeks now and I keep being told that I will receive it in 3-4 days and when it doesn't come and I call them about it I'm told that they are out of stock that it will be another 3-4 days. This is the 3rd time now. I haven't been able to even find a cable locally to purchase...I don't see why they have a product that you can't get a  replacement product for.

Wordsmith
PJLLB

Re: Nook USB Cable

Do you have a local B&N store? 

Reader
DanFL
0 Kudos

Yes I too had a problem getting a replacement for my son's Nook. The USB cable has a know flaw causing it to break and that BN as I was told by Cust. Svs, and they are trying to remedy the issue, but not if your Nook is out of warranty... :smileymad:... My Cust. Svs rep. said that they are indeed out of the cable, and they are sooooo far back-ordered that they could not give me an delivery date. Finally, his supv. who confirmed everything just sent out a gift card to get the USB cable at a BN retail store. 

Dano :smileyhappy:
New User
Sherry81
0 Kudos

no I don't have a local barnes and noble store. I have looked online at surrounding area stores and they don't have them in either. I have tried every store in town and can't find one it's starting to get frustrating. It would seen since the Nook Color and Nook Tablet chargers are the same they would have worked the problem out or know that they are in high demand off the product and keep it in stock.

Contributor
moonmatrix
0 Kudos

Mine broke today. Phone customer service was horrid, they are sending me a replacment plug after giving me a very hard time. So I went to my local store, talked to the guy he handed me a new cord and only asked for my name and number, as I was talking to him a coworker came in with the exact same issue. The guy said this is very common and they need to recall them and make them totally different but that will never happen. My nook first edition is still going strong, cord and all. Something this expensive should not break so easilly.

Correspondent
TelSC

I had a devil of a time gettng one. It took two emails and two calls but finally they sent me one. As for the local store, good luck with that. We have two local stores and all either would do is offer to let me use their phone to call support. Just keep bombarding them with emails and calls and eventually they will probably deem your worthy of of that pitiful cord. BTW, I had more luck with the email than the calls, at least I could understand the language of supports email.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Each B&N store has a NOOK expert, find them and make them your besr friend- do not try and get good help fro just any employee in the store, always look up the NOOK expert.

Contributor
amiesan
0 Kudos

I had an issue with my cable as well just a few months back. The plastic has actually broken apart and wires were exposed so that it would no longer charge (I even tried electrical tape doing all I could to salvage the thing rather than pay $25 if I didn't have to). I brought the cable in to my local B&N, the Nook expert there told me it was a common thing and handed me a new cable - no questions asked!

I asked him why the cable would degrade like that as my cable sits in my nightstand unless I plug in my Nook to charge. It does not get battered around at all. He said that even though B&N claim you can use your Nook even when charging, that this is what causes the cables to go. If you use your Nook while charging, the cable gets heated up quite a bit and that is what is causing the issue. He suggests that you don't use the Nook while charging at all in order to save the cable from being destroyed.

Also, I do feel I have to mention that I am not a regular to the B&N store so it's not like the Nook expert was "one of my buds". Just very helpful!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Need to make it clear once again:

Official BN policy is that the store NOOK cables can not be used for warranty exchanges. Any defective cables must be replaced via mail order shipped directly from the BN distribution centers (which we can do at the store). If a store employee gives you a replacement cable, he overrode company policy.

You can ask nicely, but if we say no it isn't because we hate you, it's because we've been told not to. Be nice to your local retail peons.

Contributor
moonmatrix
0 Kudos

So company policy is to sell a horrid product. Second one needs to be replaced now, and keep selling the same crap cord knowing it is defective but then want us to play nice? Fix the cord issue allready. I tell people to not get a nook over this. I am glad my local guy went against your policy.
Contributor
SandyCWV
0 Kudos

How are you handling the cable that it breaks so often. I don't mean to imply you are doing anything wrong. I understand people use things with certain expectations. I am just wondering what situations may be causing the problem. I don't move my cable very often and want to avoid issues if I might.