Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Unsuitable for children

bklvr896 wrote:

kcladyz wrote:

You can buy prepaid visa cards at any drugstore... just a thought... 

The prepaid cards from the drugstores generally won't work, you need to have a pre-paid card that can be tied to an address.  I know Amex has one.

I think you can get them at most banks as well.  You could ask the teller the next time your in.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Mikey1969

I don't see this as an issue. This covers you if you go over your gift card amount, and gives a definable trail to connect your account to. No big deal. If you don't trust your kid to not use your CC without permission, then you need to sit down and re-evaluate the family dynamic. Mystepsons both have Steam accounts on the computer for the video games they want. As a result, they needed my debit card. They know they are in hot water if a charge goes through that they didn't check with me on beforehand. No issues at all.

I don't care about the DRM and all that, it just sets something functional up that can be used years down the raod.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
The prepaid cards from the drugstores generally won't work, you need to have a pre-paid card that can be tied to an address.  I know Amex has one.

Most of them all have addresses now.  There will be a link on the card or the paperwork with them to go to and they give you the corporate address they report to Visa for verification. It's another step and a bit of a pain but it works.

My daughter got one of those from a relative at Christmas.

However, it would be terrible to find one that does NOT have an address so do your research in advance.

New User
MichaelCortes
0 Kudos

Here's a better thought... designating a device as a "child device."  My nook account can share books amongst five devices.  Five, last I checked.   It's perfectly suited because who didn't use to buy physical books, and everyone in the family would read them if interested.  My family members were readers growing up, and my family now are readers. 

But some books are more appropriate than others for our age groups.... Adults, 16yo and 10yo.  Each of us can have a device.  I and my wife have a joint account and we continue to build our nook library, reading everything we can.  But I would prefer not to put a device in my kids hands with my credit card purchasing capability while still being able to share my library, and maybe hid a few books from her.  It's the way I would like it.

Wouldn't it be great if you could control what books appeared on what devices, and if they could purchase?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

MichaelCortes wrote:

Here's a better thought... designating a device as a "child device."  My nook account can share books amongst five devices.  Five, last I checked.   It's perfectly suited because who didn't use to buy physical books, and everyone in the family would read them if interested.  My family members were readers growing up, and my family now are readers. 

But some books are more appropriate than others for our age groups.... Adults, 16yo and 10yo.  Each of us can have a device.  I and my wife have a joint account and we continue to build our nook library, reading everything we can.  But I would prefer not to put a device in my kids hands with my credit card purchasing capability while still being able to share my library, and maybe hid a few books from her.  It's the way I would like it.

Wouldn't it be great if you could control what books appeared on what devices, and if they could purchase?

I believe the NOOK HD/HD+ device profiles allow you to do what you suggest.

Unfortunately these features are not available on earlier devices or in the e-ink line.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

As larry said - the features you mention are available on HD and HD+.

Nook HD and HD+ are one of the few tablets to have such a feature.

I don't know how hard it is to extend it to Nook Color and Tablet but it would certainly make them more appealing.

Of course, since B&N stopped selling them, they might not think it worth the effort to do it just for existing users.