Reader
ItsGreg

Nook & Google Play

I see that B&N has added the Google Play store -- but the news reports only mention it in regard to the Nook HD and HD+. Is that accurate? Does this new feature only apply to those two devices? If so, when will those of us who bought earlier versions of Nook devices get access to Google Play?

I bought my Nook Color two years ago. I'd love to have access to Google Play.

Frequent Contributor
EB613

Re: Nook & Google Play

Welcome to the Loyalty Club, where you aren't rewarded for your loyalty. I told B&N on their FB page that they're going to lose a crucial base if they don't update at the very least the Nook Tablet. Capitalism and loyalty do go in the same boat. Heck, I'll spend $10 for an update if that means I get Google Play too!

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I wouldn't expect any Nook's except the HD versions to get the Play Store.  If you read the CEO comments, they have a backlogged inventory of the HD nooks they want to sell and are hoping that this will help get rid of those (in anticipation of newer devices?).

There is no profit in doing so for the older Nooks and in fact would provide possible motivation for some to upgrade.

As far as loyalty, really if you have an older device you have to know at some point you won't get the new stuff.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

For those expecting EOL devices to get the Play store, show some precendent.  Who out there gives full updates to EOL devices?  Not Apple, not any of the other phone/device makers I know of.

Reader
ItsGreg

There is no profit in doing so for the older Nooks and in fact would provide possible motivation for some to upgrade

That's actually my main concern. I love my Nook and I love B&N. I've been thinking about upgrading since my Nook Color is two years old. I'm considering moving from an e-reader to a tablet (or possibly a mini-tablet). But if I can't count on B&N to support loyal customers, I haven't much incentive to buy another Nook.

The Nexus products are beginning to look awfully sweet.

keriflur

ItsGreg wrote:

There is no profit in doing so for the older Nooks and in fact would provide possible motivation for some to upgrade

That's actually my main concern. I love my Nook and I love B&N. I've been thinking about upgrading since my Nook Color is two years old. I'm considering moving from an e-reader to a tablet (or possibly a mini-tablet). But if I can't count on B&N to support loyal customers, I haven't much incentive to buy another Nook.

The Nexus products are beginning to look awfully sweet.

LOL, you're going to count on Google to support you?  You, ah, might want to do your homework on that one, check out the "support" on the original Nexus 7, which isn't even a year old.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I am so happy to see this.

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl

I got a N7 which I'd gotten b/c B&N was taking too long to open the app store/Google Play.

I refuse to pay 3x for an app or game on my NC (if even available) that was free or $1 on my iPhone, & now my N7.

I have the NC, and still love reading on it - prefer it slightly. But they took too long to let me read what I wanted - I have a $1200+/yr reading habit between purchases & library... when I run out of a book, I want to be able to hit a WiFi spot, connect & d/l more books.

I couldn't do that w/o lugging my laptop around, for my NC. I can w/ my N7.

B&N took too long to make the Nook HD/HD+ competitve to the Nexus 7 & other tablets. That's why they can't move those tablets.

Since my parents are expressing interest in moving into e-Reader territory, I may look into getting an HD/HD+, as my mom is loving streamed Netflix on a Friday night & watching a rented movie via streamed via my PS3. The glare-screen in my main concern w/ getting a tablet of any flavor for them.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

[ Edited ]

EB613 wrote:

Welcome to the Loyalty Club, where you aren't rewarded for your loyalty. I told B&N on their FB page that they're going to lose a crucial base if they don't update at the very least the Nook Tablet. Capitalism and loyalty do go in the same boat. Heck, I'll spend $10 for an update if that means I get Google Play too!

Would BN like to update their older models? Sure. But it's a ton of work for very little fiscal result.

"Getting Google Play" isn't a simple plop-the-app-and-go. You first have to get licence permission from Google, who approves every device's hardware. Assuming they grant the licence, there are certain obligations that then have to be met - Google requires their apps installed in a certain way with very deep hooks into the actual OS (for example, in the 2.1 HD update there's two more entire catagories of Settings just devoted to Google services).

And BN wouldn't be able to reuse any of the stuff they've done to get it out for the HD's because of how radically different the device lines are (huge difference in SOC's, Android kernels, etc.).

A far more fiscally sound plan would just be to give some trade-up credit for Encore and Ovation owners to upgrade their devices to the HD Series. It saves BN a lot of programming time that literally nets them nothing but a competiting store on their older devices.

Frequent Contributor
EB613

While you're probably right, I am just complaining for the day. Then I'll be done. :smileyhappy:
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This:   If you read the CEO comments, they have a backlogged inventory of the HD nooks they want to sell and are hoping that this will help get rid of those (in anticipation of newer devices?).

If not for the need to sell HD and HD+ devices there would be no Google Play.

There's no huge stock left over of Color and Tablet so makes no sense there.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last Android based Nook that B&N makes. Perhaps even the last tablet.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Exactly...Makes one wonder how BN will be able to compete in the space going forward.  Unless their agreement with Google includes blocking Nooks from the Kindle app (unlikely based on the CEO's comments) BN's "subsidized" tablets just lost their subsidy (i.e. a locked economy).  If BN truly was making little on the hardware hoping to make it up in content sales, they just gave away the store.  At least for the HD devices

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

ItsGreg wrote:  I bought my Nook Color two years ago. I'd love to have access to Google Play.

I happen to have the orig Nook Color given to me a couple of years ago when it came out.

The first thing I noticed was that most, if not all the apps were "toy-like".

I didn't have access to my usual mix of financial tools or other grownup apps

like on my Blackberry, it was all toys...

SO - I stumbled onto a micro SDcard called - N2A - that once inserted into the Nook Color SD slot, would allow the Nook Color to boot into full Android mode,

with all the normal Android apps... no mods to the Nook.

I've never looked back.... I use it all the time, carry it with me when out - and still like it. I even have a SDcard with Android JellyBean, but have not used it much, as they changed a bunch of stuff compared to my Android Gingerbread version.
I may re-boot into native Nook mode just to see what's new...

SO - for me, they blew it with all the toy-like apps, and nothing for a "tablet" user...

keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last Android based Nook that B&N makes. Perhaps even the last tablet.

It would not surprise me if these were the last tablets.  I don't expect Windows-based nooks, I expect MS to release variations on the Surface (more sizes maybe?) with the nook app pre-installed, or possibly a joint 7-inch device (the Nook Surface, maybe).  I don't get the impression the tablet line is doing a lot for B&N anymore and would expect them to shift gears to making the best on-tablet app possible, as that will drive ebook sales on all tablets on the market.

I do expect additional eink devices, and I expect those will be Android-based.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

You build a "Walled Garden" - because you know better than the free market customer.. or at least you keep telling yourself that.   It amy work if you are Steve Jobs, but not so much if you are anybody else :smileyhappy:

SO - the BN folks came out with the Nook Color, and the "garden" of their apps - all junk, crap, toy-like. 

Fast forward a few years, a few product cycles, and probably a few different managers and teams..

What's changed ?  Where is the lifeline as the ship starts taking on water...

Contributor
ski_tahoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Exactly...Makes one wonder how BN will be able to compete in the space going forward.  Unless their agreement with Google includes blocking Nooks from the Kindle app (unlikely based on the CEO's comments) BN's "subsidized" tablets just lost their subsidy (i.e. a locked economy).  If BN truly was making little on the hardware hoping to make it up in content sales, they just gave away the store.  At least for the HD devices

I tend to disagree. When my mom found that she couldn't get the books she wanted on her Nook, she went out and bought an e-ink Kindle and was able to get the content not available from B&N. If the Kindle app had been available on her HD, she would have stuck with her one device and I argue that would have *increased* the chance that she would make future book purchases from B&N (there is no chance that she'll do that if she decides she prefers the Kindle and shelves the HD).

The problem with trying to lock customers into the platform is that the prices are becoming low enough that people are more likely to buy multiple devices if one gadget doesn't do it all (I know several people with an Xbox, Playstation, and a Wii, and those are much pricier). Granted, this only works for those that have the money to spend, but when you can buy a basic ereader for ~$70 (or a gen-1 fire for $160), I would bet that is a big audience.

If it isn't already too late (this change should have probably happened during the holidays), I actually think this could be a win if the company just adds a bit of friction to buying non-B&N content - for example list Nook specific apps first, don't allow on-device purchase of Kindle books (I believe Apple does this), etc. At least this change may help alleviate the concerns of people who like the devices but don't want to be locked into the B&N walled garden (anecdotally, I have three friends who passed over the Nook line simply because of the lock-in issue).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

ski_tahoe wrote:

I tend to disagree. When my mom found that she couldn't get the books she wanted on her Nook, she went out and bought an e-ink Kindle and was able to get the content not available from B&N. If the Kindle app had been available on her HD, she would have stuck with her one device and I argue that would have *increased* the chance that she would make future book purchases from B&N (there is no chance that she'll do that if she decides she prefers the Kindle and shelves the HD).

The problem with trying to lock customers into the platform is that the prices are becoming low enough that people are more likely to buy multiple devices if one gadget doesn't do it all (I know several people with an Xbox, Playstation, and a Wii, and those are much pricier). Granted, this only works for those that have the money to spend, but when you can buy a basic ereader for ~$70 (or a gen-1 fire for $160), I would bet that is a big audience.

If it isn't already too late (this change should have probably happened during the holidays), I actually think this could be a win if the company just adds a bit of friction to buying non-B&N content - for example list Nook specific apps first, don't allow on-device purchase of Kindle books (I believe Apple does this), etc. At least this change may help alleviate the concerns of people who like the devices but don't want to be locked into the B&N walled garden (anecdotally, I have three friends who passed over the Nook line simply because of the lock-in issue).

Those of us who have "generic" tablets have always had access to all the book stores.

On my pad I have the NOOK, kindle, and books app.

While I do have books in books (DRAM free books, I've never actually purchased a book from Apple) and Kindle, the majority of my library is purchased from B&N and read using the NOOK app.

I think a B&N customer will tend to purchase from B&N everything else being almost equal just for the convenience of having their library all in one place.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

The built in reader on the Nook HD, is still a better app than the Nook App on my iPad. Although we would all like better organization features, there are shelves on the built in reader, organization in the apps is nonexistent. If your primary purpose is reading, tat makes the NookHD a better choice. And I can say I've never read an entire book on my ipad, whether in the Nook App, the Kindle app ( I only read free books from Amazon) or any other bookstore app. I only read in the ipad when I don't have anything else available. I'd rather read on my phone than the ipad.
Contributor
ladysaotome

I can understand FTs post. But I agree with everyone else, too. I got my Nook Tablet for Christmas last year. They stopped updating it in June. That's 6 months! I don't care how fast the turn around is for modern technology. If they don't give us Google Play or offer some kind of trade in or do something - anything! - to make me feel like they care even a smidge about my loyalty, then they will have lost it forever. I'll root my tablet, which I've been loyal enough to not do so far, and when it dies I will be replacing it with something that does not benefit B&N in any way. And you can bet I'll be buying my ebooks elsewhere, too.

keriflur
0 Kudos

ladysaotome wrote:

I can understand FTs post. But I agree with everyone else, too. I got my Nook Tablet for Christmas last year. They stopped updating it in June. That's 6 months! I don't care how fast the turn around is for modern technology. If they don't give us Google Play or offer some kind of trade in or do something - anything! - to make me feel like they care even a smidge about my loyalty, then they will have lost it forever. I'll root my tablet, which I've been loyal enough to not do so far, and when it dies I will be replacing it with something that does not benefit B&N in any way. And you can bet I'll be buying my ebooks elsewhere, too.

And how long will it be before every other company out there disappoints you too?  Every device maker on the market follows the same type of schedule.  Fair or not, you're not going to be treated better elsewhere.