Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Nook & Google Play

However, this would be a great opportunity for B&N not to take the "everybody else treats you like crap, so we will too" approach and really do something to gain/retain loyalty and trust. Let's face it. B&N really needs loyal customers more than some of those other companies. 

I'm not, however, holding my breath for this to happen. FT has cited the barriers. B&N has to weigh the cost/benefit ratio. Customer loyalty might just be collateral damage. 

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Something that extends product value is a valid business strategy.  Much of the premium for luxury cars is justified by the resale value which reduces ownership costs.  That doesn't mean I believe it's practical for consumer electronics.

I have an hd+ and a NT.  I recognize that this was not part of company strategy, but a response to slowing sales. I have lost no real functionality in my NT and doubt I would have bought many more apps for it.  After all some of the apps already were compatible with one or the other already. Some of my apps from the play store are not compatible with the HD+. I think we need to remember that the devices are modestly priced and apps very cheap. This limits the amount of long term upgrades it is reasonable to expect.  The option to purchase Cm 7 or CM10 remains as well, although support for that  is likely to end soon as well. 

Reader 4
RSanchez

I have to agree with what Bobstro has written. My Nook Tablet was purchased in March 2012 and had the ability to side load Google Apps. That ability was suddenly taken away without warning by a B&N update.  I figured OK, B&N will get around to putting most, if not all, of those Apps on their site for a small charge. Now I find out B&N is going to give access to Google Apps to HD Tablet buyers only.  If B&N is just going to do what the competition does, then I will feel no loyalty for them when I purchase my next tablet.

Scribe
Froide

flyingtoastr wrote:

EB613 wrote:

Welcome to the Loyalty Club, where you aren't rewarded for your loyalty. I told B&N on their FB page that they're going to lose a crucial base if they don't update at the very least the Nook Tablet. Capitalism and loyalty do go in the same boat. Heck, I'll spend $10 for an update if that means I get Google Play too!

Would BN like to update their older models? Sure. But it's a ton of work for very little fiscal result.

"Getting Google Play" isn't a simple plop-the-app-and-go. You first have to get licence permission from Google, who approves every device's hardware. Assuming they grant the licence, there are certain obligations that then have to be met - Google requires their apps installed in a certain way with very deep hooks into the actual OS (for example, in the 2.1 HD update there's two more entire catagories of Settings just devoted to Google services).

And BN wouldn't be able to reuse any of the stuff they've done to get it out for the HD's because of how radically different the device lines are (huge difference in SOC's, Android kernels, etc.).

A far more fiscally sound plan would just be to give some trade-up credit for Encore and Ovation owners to upgrade their devices to the HD Series. It saves BN a lot of programming time that literally nets them nothing but a competiting store on their older devices.

Wouldn't reinstating the ability to install and operate third-party apps on the NT and NC be an easy alternative to BN's making time-consuming or expensive programming changes necessary to offer Google Play on those older devices?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[Do you catch/share limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads?]
roustabout

yes, bn could and should add 'allow unknown source' setting to be visible in the tablet. it has always been there, but invisible and changeable only by rooters since the update after launch. enabling that is cheap and would require almost no dev time. it would not give folks the play store but would make adding apps very simple.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

ItsGreg wrote:

There is no profit in doing so for the older Nooks and in fact would provide possible motivation for some to upgrade

That's actually my main concern. I love my Nook and I love B&N. I've been thinking about upgrading since my Nook Color is two years old. I'm considering moving from an e-reader to a tablet (or possibly a mini-tablet). But if I can't count on B&N to support loyal customers, I haven't much incentive to buy another Nook.

The Nexus products are beginning to look awfully sweet.

This looks an awfully lot like the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. The big advantage that the Nexus products had over the HD as an upgrade was that the Nexus products were bundled with access to the Google Play store.

So now because Barnes & Noble invested the effort into making their new system compatible with the Google Play store, as customers have long clamored for, that is the reason for upgrading to the Nexus rather than the HD?

IOW, because B&N gave something to HD owners that it has never promised to anybody, theyshould be considered to have betrayed NC and NT owners, who knew from the beginning (if they had done a reasonable amount of vetting before they bought their devices) that Google Play support was never a promised feature.

This is far more commitment to the task of complaining about every single decision that B&N makes than I can keep up with. For me, the willingness to include the Google Play store for the HD means that it now has everything I'm looking for in a 7" tablet. The hardware was always the best, unless you were looking for a camera tablet ... and now it has access to all of the apps that I want on a 7" tablet.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

One thing I can tell is that if you want the device to be your primary reading device and you want any type of organization, the built in reader app is still by far and away a better product than any of the tablet apps. It may not be great, but the tablet apps, including the Kindle and Kobo apps are no where near as good.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

BruceMcF I'm really glad you wrote what you wrote.

I've been thinking something similar but you crystallize it super well.

Products are bought and sold as-is. It's not a good idea to add in expectations and assumptions.

If you don't have expectations beyond what you got AT THE POINT OF TIME of buying it, then you're guaranteed to be satisfied. And then new additions are a bonus.

For people who are upset that Tablet sideloading was removed, that's a valid complaint.

For everyone else, HD and HD+ were already better than Nexus 7 overall. Now they also have Google Play Store Apps. Plus there's a mother's day sale where Nook HD is $149.

The Nook Color and Tablet you're complaining about are still very usable great devices. IF Google Play Store is that important then just get a N2A card or root your device.

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

I use the nook hd+  with my special needs children.  I would love to add new apps (as they keep asking for new stuff LOL).  I hate to sound tech challenged, but how do I access it.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Excellent points!  I was happy with my HD+ before.  I have the NC also, with N2A cards for both.  A hassle (minor hassle!) re-booting, so I pretty much kept the HD+ in stock as since it's photo rich magazines are awesome on it, and I like the stock reader better than any other.  I mostly kept the NC in Android for library books that were more readily available in Kindle format, for a few books avaiable in Kindle but not Nook, and for Zinio with its free access to magazines through the library.  Now I don't have to do that--everything is available on the HD+ right up front. I never expected this & accepted things the way they were.  I'm delighted now--to me this is dessert!.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

The trend in tech has been set for years now and that trend is "there is ALWAYS going to be new tech and devices not long before you take the current newest one out of the box". There's absolutely no point in being furious about it, it's a waste of time and energy. If you always waited for the next new thing, you'd never have anything now. You buy what makes you happy now with the knowledge that it's what you will be stuck with until you are ready to shell out the money for a newer device down the road. It will still do everything you were so excited about on the day you bought it and will continue to do so for a long time.

I had to buy a newer device to get better hardware and more capablities than the one I already had. I've dished out the money for the NE1, the NC and now the HD+.  Considering the nightmare most of us have dealt with when the HD+ came out compared to the problems earlier devices went through...I almost feel like we earned this through the frustration those first few months brought. I was almost ready to give up on my HD+ at one point, I worked to get my device to this stage, coming up with work around after work around to make it useful.  I feel like this is my reward for sticking with it. I'm going to enjoy every second of it and deal with the minor inconveniences because they are minor. Please, I earned my enjoyment of this, please don't rain all over it for me.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Now, while I'm now decided on updating to the HD when I update ~ OTOH my library finally added ebook support, with both an Overdrive based system and a Blio based system, and after experimenting with both, I find the Overdrive based system a lot easier to use. Since the Overdrive app in the Nook app store works just fine, I'm not actually in a rush to upgrade.

Andromeda208 wrote:

I use the nook hd+  with my special needs children.  I would love to add new apps (as they keep asking for new stuff LOL).  I hate to sound tech challenged, but how do I access it.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't have an HD (yet), but on the Nook Color, the same shop function that you use to buy books also has an app category, that you can use to browse for new Nook apps. There are distinct categories of apps available, and you can sort inside each category by release date, to look for newer apps, and by price.

As far as the Google Play, that's built into the new upgrade to the HD system. You'd need to ask an HD user that has received the upgrade how the access to Google Play works, since the older hardware introduced in 2010 and 2011 is based on Android versions 2.2 and 2.3 and won't be receiving the upgrades to the Android version 4.x system in the Nook HD's, and its the Android 2.2 based Nook Color that I have at the moment.

And as far as getting the update, keep using the system with the WiFi on and sooner or later it will get the update OTA ("Over The Air").

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Andromeda

Just go to the Apps page of your Nook HD+.

There will be an app named Google Play. Click on it. That's it. You have the store open. Now you can find apps and add them.

New User
StaSea45
0 Kudos

It probably should be their last tablet.  They can not keep up with the other tablets with functionality.  I know I have a Nook Color and am getting ready to upgrade.  It will NOT be a Nook product.  With the way this device has deteriorated, (freezing, not loading, throwing me out of the programs, etc...) I am going to purchase either an ipad or a tablet from Samsung.

bobstro
0 Kudos

This is an old thread, but there are now more options than ever. Sadly, you've missed all the holiday sales.

I've been on Samsung tablets for a couple of years now, starting with the SGT 2 7.0 and lately on the SGN 10.1 2014 model. They're all more than adequate for ebook and general app use. The 7 inch is now a couple of years old, and my son uses it at work daily with no problems. The NOOK app works well on all of them, though I prefer other reader apps.

If you're after a general purpose tablet these days, buy a general purpose tablet. The NOOKs work fine for what they do, and the GoPS access makes them even better, but if you want more features, they can be had elsewhere for reasonable prices.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Touchwiz is the most offensive bloated crap ever designed by mankind.

Buy a Nexus. You can thank me later.

bobstro
0 Kudos

So... don't use TouchWiz. It's a skin on the default launcher that you can easily ignore.

That said, the Nexus 7 is a nice device if you want a 7 inch and don't care about lack of expansion.  The Nexus 10 is a bit long in the tooth these days.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193

ItsGreg, I wouldn't be to quick to come down on B&N for this. There is ALWAYS going to be a point at which a manufacturer will stop supporting a product. ALWAYS. It is simply a question of how soon they bail on you. This isn't a bad thing, just reality. They simply can't support every product they ever make. It's also a matter of marketing strategy. They are in the business of making money too. That said, you can definitely hold them accountable if they say they will and then don't or if they stop supporting something way to soon.  When that time has come is pretty subjective.  I bought my HD+ in November knowing full well they were due to release a new tablet soon to keep up with the Kindle HDX.  That's just how technology is.  I don't blame B&N, just my bad timing that I needed something before the new one came out.  You can always contact me and I'll be more than happy to sell you mine. I'm not especially happy with the B&N to Nook experience although as I've stated in the past, for those who are loyal to Nook, you have understandable reasons (SD slot, Google Play and ability to use non-B&N books).  For me, the Kindle simply works better.  Right now I use my Nook HD+ for multi-media content but I use a Kindle Paperwhite 3G strictly for reading.  It's just my opinion of course, but I find the eInk display richer and darker (thus easier for my eyes to read) and I absolutely prefer Amazon's web site and how it works. I find B&N's clunky, counter-intuitive and just flat out dumb. I do realize they are redesigning it and it could well be the greatest thing going when it's ready but if it's one thing I learned when buying technology, it's buy what the device can do NOW, not what it promises to do later. I've been left holding the bag to many times with broken promises.  Given how I use my device, Nook simply has no advantage over Kindle for me.  I buy either B&N books or Kindle books, nothing else.  For me the decision is based solely on the device and how it interacts with the provider. In this regard, Amazon wins hands down.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

ConnieL4193:  I bought my HD+ in November knowing full well they were due to release a new tablet soon to keep up with the Kindle HDX.  That's just how technology is.  I don't blame B&N, just my bad timing that I needed something before the new one came out.

Just to keep the record straight, the HD line of tablets is B&N's latest line of tablets. They may release a new one sometime this year; but until then, the HD and the HD+ are their most recent offerings to the tablet world.

And yes, you definitely buy a piece of technology (phone, tablet, computer, laptop, game system, etc.) based on whether or not it meets your current needs - not whether or not it's going to measure up to the device that's in the works.

keriflur

TnTexas wrote:

And yes, you definitely buy a piece of technology (phone, tablet, computer, laptop, game system, etc.) based on whether or not it meets your current needs - not whether or not it's going to measure up to the device that's in the works.

And NOT whether or not the company will make some change that you need/want to have.