Distinguished Correspondent
luvbooksCM
Accepted Solution

Nook apps & movies + discontinued tablet?

Although I've had my suspicions about the Nook tablet being sold off when B&N started drastically reducing prices, I'm left wondering what will happen to my nook apps & nook movies. I know I can move to a Nook eink device to read my ebook collection, but I'm wondering if the manufacturing company contracted to make the nook tablets will still have an SD card slot & if the apps & movies will work on those devices. I guess I'm wondering if B&N will be directing the specs of the new nook tablet to whoever manufactures it.

I know no one can answer these questions at this time. Just wondering if there is anything I can proactively do to protect my app/movie purchases. Ebooks I have stored on my computer.

Anyone else having this concern?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Nook apps & movies + discontinued tablet?

luvbooksCM wrote:

I know no one can answer these questions at this time

Actually, we can answer these questions.  B&N has not stated that it's selling its nook business, or its tablet business, or shutting down any of its content libraries.  Right now, you have nothing to worry about.  Your existing device will not stop working, your content will continue to be available.

Right now, the risk of losing your content is exactly the same as when you bought it.

Frequent Contributor
gritsgal
0 Kudos

BN will no longer be manufacturing Nook. This is a fact. They have taken an enormous financial loss this quarter and with the subsequent drop in stock price have scared off potential buyers for the nook division. This is a fact. In addition their brick and mortar stores are losing money. I am guessing 50/50 chance of bankruptcy. They have been dumping nook hd tablets. You should anticipate having to move your content from the cloud to microsd cards in the near future. I have no doubt that the content will play, but I don't think new content will be available when/if bn goes under.
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Before you panic... when Borders vanished they sold their ebook business to Kobo.

Kobo sent emails to everyone explaining how to move their purchases FOR FREE to Kobo's system.  Years later, those previous Borders purchases are still available for download anytime a person wants.

While I am a HUGE fan of backups, there's no reason to start shifting everything around yet.  Certainly, not in "the near future."

keriflur

gritsgal wrote:
BN will no longer be manufacturing Nook. This is a fact. They have taken an enormous financial loss this quarter and with the subsequent drop in stock price have scared off potential buyers for the nook division. This is a fact. In addition their brick and mortar stores are losing money. I am guessing 50/50 chance of bankruptcy. They have been dumping nook hd tablets. You should anticipate having to move your content from the cloud to microsd cards in the near future. I have no doubt that the content will play, but I don't think new content will be available when/if bn goes under.

*rolls eyes*

Enough with the drama. B&N is NOT closing, NOT discontinuing their ebook business, NOT even discontinuing selling tablets.  If you're really that paranoid, you probably shouldn't buy ebooks, tablets, or any other kind of electronics.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

[ Edited ]

gritsgal wrote:

I believe that you are quite mistaken.  B&N said nothing about ceasing the manufacture of NOOKs, except for the tablet products.  Also, the way I read the financial reports just released, it is not possible to determine whether the "brick and mortar" retail stores are actually losing money because the company does not report them separately.  The Retail Division (which includes B&N.com) had EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization) of $374 Million in 2013, an increase of about 16% over 2012.   http://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-reports-fiscal-2013-123000545.html

Bankruptcy???  Take a look at the Barnes and Noble Balance Sheet.  Cash and Cash Equivalents (a Current Asset) increased by over $100 Million to a total of 160.47 Million.  Long-Term Debt decreased substantially.  Current Liabilities are almost $77 Million lower than last year.  Retained Earnings remains at a healthy $370 Million.  The cash infusion from Microsoft appears to be indicated on a separate line of the Balance Sheet between Long-Term Liabilities and Shareholders' Equity as "Preferred Member Interests in NOOK Media, LLC."   It is reported at $381.6 Million.  

The company might not be doing as well as it would like, but it is a looooong ways from bankruptcy, IMO. 

Rumor-mongering is not very helpful. 

bobstro

The OP asked specifically about movies and apps, not ebooks. The company's statements are generally positive about ebooks and eink devices, but notably don't mention anything equally encouraging about apps or movies. Anybody with an investment in either might have reasonable questions. ebooks can be backed up protected a number of ways, but not movies or apps.
Frequent Contributor
gritsgal
0 Kudos

I stand corrected. BN will continue to make the exciting bw ereader. I don't know what news outlets you read. I got my info from the wsj ny times abc and ap. Read the stories on my nook hd. I'm not saying bn will go under. I'm saying 50/50. They are clearly dumping their hd tablets and this weekend having a 50% sale on nook books. All ominous signs. And it is too bad. I think their product is better than Amazon and I have owned a nook since the beginning. However, if I had clients who owned bm stock I would advise them to get out.
luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for such great feedback. I'm definetly NOT in panick mode, and my ebook collection is far greater than the few movies & apps that I have purchased. I know I can enjoy them on my Nook HD for as long as it lasts. My N1E3G has been going strong for 3 years, so I'm hoping my Nook HD does the same.

I was just speculating on what might happen to the movie/app side of things and thinking of ways to protect my purchases. I feel certain that if B&n ever closed their doors, someone will want to take over the existing Nook customer base. Ebooks should certainly be guaranteed a future, it's just the movie/apps side of the business that I feel could be in jeopardy. Saving to a micro SD card is great, but Nook is the only tablet that I know of that uses a micro SD card. If future Nooks do away with that feature by whoever starts manufacturing the future tablets, then saving to SD card will be futile. I don't know what else I could use the micro SD card in to play the movies or apps. I'm not very tech savvy, which is probably why the "walled garden" suits my needs perfectly. So rooting and tooting things won't help me! I wouldn't know where to start.

I, too, had ebooks with Border and they seamlessly moved to Kobo. Now that nook is open to the google play store, I can add the Kobo app and the Sony reader app to enjoy all the sony ebooks I had from my first ereader which was a sony. Added the Kindle app, too!  I even noticed they have a Samshwords app, which I haven't tried yet, but I have several ebooks in my Smashwords account, so will probably add that from google play. Heck, I have ebooks from all over the place, including Feedbooks & the now extinct fictionwise.

But I only have movies from B&N. Perhaps they will develop a Nook Movie App which can be used on android tablets (and maybe even ipad)...similar to what Amazon did with their video app.

Perhaps I should stop speculating and use that time to continue to enjoy my movies/apps while I can!

Either way, I don't regret my nook purchases. The attention to detail and design in the hardware is more inspired than competitors tablets. And for my needs, the software is user friendly and well thought out with unique features like scrapbooking. B&N put a lot of thought into it's product and user experience. It's just a shame that it wasn't marketed properly.

Mercury_Glitch

gritsgal wrote:
I stand corrected. BN will continue to make the exciting bw ereader. I don't know what news outlets you read. I got my info from the wsj ny times abc and ap. Read the stories on my nook hd. I'm not saying bn will go under. I'm saying 50/50. They are clearly dumping their hd tablets and this weekend having a 50% sale on nook books. All ominous signs. And it is too bad. I think their product is better than Amazon and I have owned a nook since the beginning. However, if I had clients who owned bm stock I would advise them to get out.

They clearly announced they were stepping out of the color LCD tablet production, read more here.  The sale on the Nook HDs going on now is likely to move the stock of the devices they have, since they aren't going to produce one any more on their own, but rather partner with a company and have that company produce the tablets.

A sale on ebooks is not an indicator of a company doing poorly.  eBooks are a retailers best friend in that they take up essentially no space since billions of them can fit on a single server and you don't need duplicates in order to sell duplicates.  Further BN has given away tons of books if you look back at the Free Friday books (which is an on going promotion).  Bottom line, sales on ebooks can't be judged by the same criteria as sales on DTBs, ebooks just don't have the costs associated with them that would otherwise hurt a sale and there's no clearing of inventory.  If it was a 'make all the money we can' sort of thing I can say pretty safely they would have selected many more ebooks.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
roustabout
0 Kudos

I haven't looked at movies, so I don't know about those.

As far as apps go, if you root the device you can use titanium to make backups to an sdcard or send them to dropbox.  Some apps may require the BN platform  to operate, but many do not.  I discovered this first with Epicurious when there were problems following an update, and I've seen many apps 'transplant' successfully to cm 7 and 10 installs.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

gritsgal wrote:
I don't know what news outlets you read. I got my info from the wsj ny times abc and ap. 

Since you asked... I got my info from the transcript of the actual call that B&N made to the media outlets, which you can find right here in the forums.

keriflur

bobstro wrote:
The OP asked specifically about movies and apps, not ebooks. The company's statements are generally positive about ebooks and eink devices, but notably don't mention anything equally encouraging about apps or movies. Anybody with an investment in either might have reasonable questions. ebooks can be backed up protected a number of ways, but not movies or apps.

And until they announce that they are doing away with either the App Store or the video store, the we know exactly as much as we did when they announced those stores - that the store exists and right now we can buy content from it, but that it probably won't always exist and there's no way to back up that content.  The same is true of Amazon, Google, etc., everyone who sells apps/movies.

Contributor
BookloverUT

[ Edited ]

As I stated on a similar thread just minutes ago, I called the manager of my local B&N store and he said the only changes being made are that another company will be making/building the ereaders and tablets. They are NOT going bankrupt. They will be selling e-books and apps, and supporting products sold.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

[ Edited ]

gritsgal wrote:

Well, I relayed financial data that was taken by Yahoo! Finance directly from Barnes and Noble financial reports.  I cited my source with a hyperlink to the Web site that provided it.  It appears that the 2013 Annual Report has not, yet, been placed onto the B&N Web site.  The data was taken directly from the Balance Sheet and Income Statement, along with additional details.  It was not "pre-digested" by the Wall Street Journal, or any other source that might be biased, or careless in its reporting.  Are you sure that what you read and saw was straight news reporting, or did it include opinion in the form of commentary?  It is becoming increasingly rare to find unbiased news reporting on television these days, in my observations.

It appears to me that Barnes and Noble is attempting to adapt to changing market conditions.  They are not hiding their heads in the sand, so to speak.  B&N management can, like anybody else, make mistakes.  The important thing to remember is that they do not appear to be following in the footsteps of Border's Books, IMO.  50/50 is wildly pessimistic, IMO. 

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

On the movie side of things, don't forget that they are connected to Ultaviolet and can be watched on a number of other services.

luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

I hadn't even thought about ultraviolet! I don't have an account, but I'll go check it out. Thanks for the info!

Frequent Contributor
gritsgal
0 Kudos

I'm also annoyed that the hd+ I paid top dollar for at xmas is now being dumped at almost 50% off. So much for customer loyalty. If you google bn news you will find plenty of articles.
MacMcK1957

Every time you buy any piece of technology you run the risk (actually, face the almost certainty) that the item will sell for a lower price later. I have a 42" LCD TV that cost me $1800, which I could easily replace today for $500. Does that mean I should be angry at Sharp? Or would you demand that any device you buy should never reduce its price?
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

[ Edited ]

gritsgal wrote:
I'm also annoyed that the hd+ I paid top dollar for at xmas is now being dumped at almost 50% off. So much for customer loyalty. If you google bn news you will find plenty of articles.

Is your HD+ not performing like it should? If it is performing fine, then you don't really have anything to complain about.  You thought it was worth the money at the time.  Jealousy of other peoples good fortune is an unbecoming trait.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716