Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Re: Nook apps & movies + discontinued tablet?

gritsgal wrote:
I'm also annoyed that the hd+ I paid top dollar for at xmas is now being dumped at almost 50% off. So much for customer loyalty. If you google bn news you will find plenty of articles.

And here I think the truth comes out, sour grapes tend to leave a stain on any form of communication.

There are at least two major things you have to accept when buying a piece of technology.

1) It will be outdated fairly shortly after your purchase.  The length of time is variable, depending on what the item is, how high end you go, and how many companies produce one.  That's not saying whatever you bought is made useless, just that there is bigger (or smaller depending) and better out after some time passes.  That time is generally relatively short when compared to the life of the product itself.

2) The price will come down.  This usually follows along the same timeline as the device being outdated, though price drops have been known to happen before the next product sometimes anticipating it rather than reacting to its debut.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

gritsgal wrote:
I'm also annoyed that the hd+ I paid top dollar for at xmas is now being dumped at almost 50% off. So much for customer loyalty. If you google bn news you will find plenty of articles.

You think the definition of loyalty is never putting anything on sale?

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:
Every time you buy any piece of technology you run the risk (actually, face the almost certainty) that the item will sell for a lower price later. I have a 42" LCD TV that cost me $1800, which I could easily replace today for $500. Does that mean I should be angry at Sharp? Or would you demand that any device you buy should never reduce its price?

Lol, thanks for the reminder that tvs have gotten so cheap - our 42-incher has some burned-in spots that drive me crazy, and I've been putting off replacing it because I don't want to spend another 2k.  But if I can do it for 500, it's worth it.

*goes to shop for a television*

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

But if I can do it for 500, it's worth it.

I bet you can.  We just got a 47" for $800.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I saw an ad today that HHGregg has a 42" LG for $469.  Even a reputable brand name.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I saw an ad today that HHGregg has a 42" LG for $469.  Even a reputable brand name.

I usually buy Sony, and right now they've got a 40" for $479 and a 46" for $599.  Not bad.  I may just have to go for the 46", if it'll fit the space we have for it.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

i bought my HD+ at full price the day it came out.  Sure, people are now picking it up for cosiderably less--but I've also had the use of it for the past 7 months. So i see it as having been worth the price.

patgolfneb

This discussion illustrates perfectly why BN has struggled in tablets and why firms try to establish walled gardens, if they can. Tech dependent products / features become generic so rapidly, 2-5 years seems typical, that retaining customers and protecting profit margins depends on finding a unique patentable feature or tying your customers to you in some way. I don't want to imply that there aren't other factors. The nature of marketing, google search, expert reviews etc creates an enviroment where a maximum of 3 products and often only two get real exposure. In the past retailers didn't all carry the exact same brands, so there were regional brands and the location nearest you carried 2-3 out of maybe 6-8 brands. Now retailers tend to carry mostly the same national brands + maybe a house brand. Does this foster lower prices? Maybe if the savings are passed on to you? Is there more innovation? I don't think so. The quality gains one would expect seem missing as well. I suspect at some point there may be some blow back. People may choose not to replace their high end phone or tablet with another state of the art device. After the cool wears off a simple phone, basic tablet or ereader,depending on what your primary use is may be more attractive.
keriflur

patgolfneb wrote:
People may choose not to replace their high end phone or tablet with another state of the art device. After the cool wears off a simple phone, basic tablet or ereader,depending on what your primary use is may be more attractive.

I think that right now a lot of people have more devices than they need.  So many new devices, sizes, etc., are coming out and there's so much crossover - it's hard to know exactly what will work best for you without trial and error.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:
People may choose not to replace their high end phone or tablet with another state of the art device. After the cool wears off a simple phone, basic tablet or ereader,depending on what your primary use is may be more attractive.

I think that right now a lot of people have more devices than they need.  So many new devices, sizes, etc., are coming out and there's so much crossover - it's hard to know exactly what will work best for you without trial and error.

My post  shows why I wouldn't miss Internet on my phone,  wall of text, Dr.  appointment, no wi fi.  I don't get enough utility to justify the data plan,  basically 300 dollars a year.  Unless data plan rules are relaxed so that there aren't extra charges to share between devices I won't have one with my next phone. 

I believe a simple phone, lower end10 inch tablet,  works best for me. When I retire I might dump the laptop and add an e ink reader. Young people, who use their phones for everything,  and people who use their phones for business can justify  smart phones more easily.  Of course that's how I ended up with Nooks, couldn't make myself spend the coin for an I pad, on what is for me an entertainment device. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

[...] My post  shows why I wouldn't miss Internet on my phone,  wall of text, Dr.  appointment, no wi fi.  I don't get enough utility to justify the data plan,  basically 300 dollars a year.  Unless data plan rules are relaxed so that there aren't extra charges to share between devices I won't have one with my next phone. [...]

Just for the challenge, I took my son's old Droid 2 after he upgraded and made it into a wifi-only device to see how far I could take it. I was surprised at just how well it worked. At one point, I'd configured Google Voice incorrectly, and was getting voice calls  from work on it unexpectedly. The caller didn't know the difference. Skype also worked well, as did my bluetooth headset. WIth Google Voice, I could even text if I wanted to I suppose (didn't try that).

Not too long ago, spotty cell coverage was routine. This felt very similar. With Google Voice set up, a caller would get voicemail if I didn't answer, so it was all transparent to anybody else.

If I didn't need it for work, and needed to cut costs, I think I could get by with a smartphone with no data or cell plan. Just think of it as really crappy cell service. Find a Starbucks or B&N with decent data when out & about and it's all I'd need. A data-only plan would be another alternative.