Frequent Contributor
DHawthorne
0 Kudos

Nook books won't download - not a version specific problem

The last half-dozen books I have purchased have had this problem. I can go online with my Nook, buy the dang book, but when I go to the library and try to download it, it says I have a network problem and it can't be downloaded . It's not a problem with my Nook - the PC app won't downlaod them either (error ), and neither wil my Android app. It's not a network problem, because eventually I can get them. Thing is, I didn't get an eReader so I could get the books "eventually." I am getting so disgusted and fed up with B&N because of this, I'm tempted to just get a Kindle. I bought and paid for these books. If I drove to the local store and bought the dead tree version, I'd be reading them right now. Why the heck can't they make the downloads reliable? It isn't even that I bouhgt them too recently ... one was purchased last week and I'm only today getting around to reading it, but decided to buy the rest of the series too. None will download.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook books won't download - not a version specific problem

DHawthorne wrote:

The last half-dozen books I have purchased have had this problem. I can go online with my Nook, buy the dang book, but when I go to the library and try to download it, it says I have a network problem and it can't be downloaded . It's not a problem with my Nook - the PC app won't downlaod them either (error ), and neither wil my Android app. It's not a network problem, because eventually I can get them. Thing is, I didn't get an eReader so I could get the books "eventually." I am getting so disgusted and fed up with B&N because of this, I'm tempted to just get a Kindle. I bought and paid for these books. If I drove to the local store and bought the dead tree version, I'd be reading them right now. Why the heck can't they make the downloads reliable? It isn't even that I bouhgt them too recently ... one was purchased last week and I'm only today getting around to reading it, but decided to buy the rest of the series too. None will download.

I haven't run into this problem, I bought 3 books last night and immediately downloaded to both my Nook HD and my iPad.  I just opened Nook for PC and they all downloaded immediately.  Thought maybe I could offer some advise or troubleshoot, but apparently it's not a consistent or universal problem.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If your Nook, and the assorted apps are reporting a network error, and you only get them 'eventually' it sounds like they are telling you the correct information.

I would suggest going to an area with a strong signal and try there.  I've not seen the issue you're reporting even in an area with less than amazing signal, by which I mean it would take minutes for a webpage to load.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
DHawthorne
0 Kudos

No, it's not a network problem. It's a Barnes & Noble server problem. It's only Nook apps that have the problem, every thing else on my devices is fine .. but funny enough, all of my apps can purchase books, it's just the downloads that fail. It's not a signal problem, it's nothing on my end.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If you'd like help the following would be a great start

1) What Nook do you have?

2) What apps are you having issues downloading with?

3) What, if any, steps have you tried to resolve the issue?

4) What exactly are you having issues downloading?  First you say books, then in-app downloads seems to be the issue. 

B&N only sells books through the 'Shop' feature and the BN.com website when purchasing through a Nook, not third party apps or websites.  If you are having issues with third party reading apps from the google play store, it's likely on their end or your end, B&N has nothing to do with that transaction going through.  This sounds like it's the issue you're having from the discription you've given, if it's not then please give us the exact steps you are taking to reproduce the error.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
DHawthorne
0 Kudos

I reallly wish BN would just own up to the fact that periodically, the servers just won't allow newly purchased books to download and fix it. A message on the affected devices would be nice too. Once again, I am having this problem. Eventually the book will download, but I want to read it now, and I can't. I've purchased three books this weekend, and they all went fine except this last one. It's very annoying.

Frequent Contributor
DHawthorne
0 Kudos

It won't download on my 1st Edition Nook, it won't download on Nook for PC, and it won't download on my Droid Nook app. It most likely will download an hour from now, or tomorrow. These are books purchased directly from the BN web site or directly from the 1st Edition Nook. I am getting utterly fed up with the unexplained lapses in the download service. I can go weeks with no problem, then one day nothing will work. My network is fine, or I wouldn't be able to make the purchase.

Frequent Contributor
Ruff16965
0 Kudos

The system has been down for at least 90 minutes now. It happens, stop taking it personally. That is the perils of the internet.

Chris and Terr
Nook HD 8GB for Chris
Nook Color for Terri
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ruff16965 wrote:

The system has been down for at least 90 minutes now. It happens, stop taking it personally. That is the perils of the internet.

Yes, but it does happen with some sites more than others. 

Frequent Contributor
Ruff16965
0 Kudos

This is the first time I have ever had troubles in almost 2 years of having a Nook. Is there something I should know?

Chris and Terr
Nook HD 8GB for Chris
Nook Color for Terri
Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

Just a thought--check your credit card information.  I was having that problem and it turned out the bank had changed my credit card number and I hadn't received the notice or the new card yet. I did notice that the last four digits of my account on the bank's website were different than the card in my wallet.  I changed the info to a different card and it started working fine.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I do believe it is a server problem. I have the new Glowlight and I couldn't open two of my books earlier today that needed downloaded from my library. The internet connection was strong. This is the first time it has happened to me.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe I've been caught by this three times in the last 18 months. Usually it is only the server for one device but not others (for example, 1st Edition and Nook/PC downloads, not HD+... another time Nook/PC couldn't download but other two could).

The down time typically was the weekend (Free Friday download being the item). Downtime tended to last 24 hours (or long enough that I went that long before trying).

Don't recall seeing a global (all devices) outage before... I wouldn't expect any front page changes on a weekend -- the techs with access to the web server are probably at home, and it may even take time for the content server techs to be called in (when complaints filter in via the phone number). Complaining on this forum is futile -- not even the moderators work weekends.

Baron Wulfraed
Frequent Contributor
Ruff16965
0 Kudos

It was back up by about 1AM EST.

Chris and Terr
Nook HD 8GB for Chris
Nook Color for Terri