New User
oliviab25313
0 Kudos

Nook buyback

Is there a buyback program for Nook such as Kindle has? I am thinking about upgrading to a Nook Color and dont want to have 2 Nooks.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Re: Nook buyback

No

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Best Buy has such a program that you purchase when buying something, but they also have a trade in program.  I believe if I remember correctly that for NOOKcolors some were getting $85.  Others have suggested ebay in order to get more since you might sell with a cover, maybe a card, or some such.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
keriflur
0 Kudos

oliviab25313 wrote:

Is there a buyback program for Nook such as Kindle has? I am thinking about upgrading to a Nook Color and dont want to have 2 Nooks.

You might want to have the NC for a while before you decide whether or not you should give up your e-ink nook.  You might find you like to have both - one for reading in the sun and the other for everything elsee, or something like that.

RHWright

[ Edited ]

Looking at Amazon's electronics trade-in program, I don't see the value. Unless money is so tight and you have to upgrade now. But if you have a working device, to me at least, it makes more sense to save a little longer for a new one and give the old one to someone you know. (Or look into donating it to your local library. Many are acquiring devices to loan out.)

I got a N2E and I'm giving my N1E to my daughter. Worth way more than any trade-in value it might (theoretically) have.

(BTW, the trade in for an eInk NOOK on Amazon is about $13.)

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

RHWright wrote:

Looking at Amazon's electronics trade-in program, I don't see the value. Unless money is so tight and you have to upgrade now. But if you have a working device, to me at least, it makes more sense to save a little longer for a new one and give the old one to someone you know. (Or look into donating it to your local library. Many are acquiring devices to loan out.)

I got a N2E and I'm giving my N1E to my daughter. Worth way more than any trade-in value it might (theoretically) have.

(BTW, the trade in for an eInk NOOK on Amazon is about $13.)

That's exactly what I did.  When I got my N2E I gave my N1E to my 84 year old father.  He actually does use it which surprised the heck out of me!

►Without order there is chaos◄
deemure
0 Kudos

I do like having both an eink and backlit nook for different purposes.  I also think that the amount of money you can get from trade in programs is just not worth it.  $13 (from Amazon) is just not worth it-giving it to someone who will enjoy it will give way more than that in thank yous.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

I do like having both an eink and backlit nook for different purposes.  I also think that the amount of money you can get from trade in programs is just not worth it.  $13 (from Amazon) is just not worth it-giving it to someone who will enjoy it will give way more than that in thank yous.

I'm with you.  I would hate to read on the NookColor all the time, it's heavier, I really don't like the backlight even though I can dim it and I would have to stop too often to recharge it.  The NC is great for magazines and light reading if I'm out without the eink version, but for reading at home, I'm sticking with my eInk.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I have had both a NC and NST for several months now.  I use them differently.  I use the NC for reading at night or indoors in low light or to read color magazines like Nat Geo.  I use the NST to read outdoors in full light or when I want something ultralight to just slip in my pocket -- I'm sort of opposite bklvr896, my NC is my reader-of-choice while I go to the NST when I have to.

My brother-in-law is a Kindle fan but he has covers with reading lights for all his Kindles (one each for him, wife and oldest son) and it DOES drain their power.  I forgot my NST when I visited last week, am going to be sure to take it with me for Christmas so they can compare.

I think B&N would be smart to put in a buyback program if they paid as little as Amazon does for their buyback -- they could refurb and sell the buybacks for a decent profit -- but I'm guessing they're worried about cannibalizing sales of the new equipment and having to deal with the inventory issues.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

With Amazona, Best Buy, and who know's who else already doing buy backs or trade ins B&N may as well throw their hat in the ring and try to get a piece of the pie.  They already sell refurbished units so a system for handling returns and trade ins is in place.

I believe Best Buy has dropped the NC trade in value to $40, it was $85 for awhile and for a week or two after the Tablet came out.

Frequent Contributor
edhoel
0 Kudos

Keep it as a backup. My girlfriend's NST froze on Tuesday is waiting on the replacement. She still has her N1E that she can use until the new one arrives.:smileyhappy:

Reader 2
kidRN72
0 Kudos

There is not a buy back program. I sold my Nook 1st edition on eBay for $80 plus shipping, bundled with a case and sleeve. I felt that was a good deal to then upgrade to NST. Selling it yourself or giving to someone you know is your best bet. I personally don't like reading on the lighted background so I wanted another E Ink reader. 

New User
Viewmont
0 Kudos

Yes, there IS a Barnes & Noble Nook buyback program!  I just used it myself this month (May 2014). I ordered and received a new (well, 'refurbished' 32gb Nook HD+) for $125 + $8.56 in tax, and I have to return an old Nook Color back to the B&N. Call 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) and ask for a "Digital Support Representative" to start your buy-back/exchange procedure.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Viewmont wrote:

Yes, there IS a Barnes & Noble Nook buyback program!  I just used it myself this month (May 2014). I ordered and received a new (well, 'refurbished' 32gb Nook HD+) for $125 + $8.56 in tax, and I have to return an old Nook Color back to the B&N. Call 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) and ask for a "Digital Support Representative" to start your buy-back/exchange procedure.

You're responding to a post from 2011. Things change.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Viewmont wrote:

[...] I ordered and received a new (well, 'refurbished' 32gb Nook HD+) for $125 + $8.56 in tax, and I have to return an old Nook Color back to the B&N. 

I've got 3 old NCs laying about that are essentially useless. They're worth about $24 credit against a refurb 32 GB HD+. That's interesting. Now I could buy an HD new for $129, but it looks like they're out of the 16 GB units permanently. I just don't know if I'll get $125 worth of use out of the HD+ with all the newer devices I have now.