New User
tj48JM
0 Kudos

Nook color vs Nook tablet

Does the tablet run off cell phone towers or do you still have to have WI available?  This is the only thing keeping me from upgrading.

Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer

Re: Nook color vs Nook tablet

You need wi-fi but you can always tether to a portable wi-fi hot spot, if necessary. Sorry.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The only way around needing a Wifi hotspot to connect too. Is to buy an ereader with 3g ability. Then it would be tied to your personal 3g phone account. And connect anywhere your phone can.

Out and About I can scan for other Open Wifi networks and connect that way. But you have to know where and where you can't get Wifi connections when wanting internet access.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

The only way around needing a Wifi hotspot to connect too. Is to buy an ereader with 3g ability. Then it would be tied to your personal 3g phone account. And connect anywhere your phone can.

Out and About I can scan for other Open Wifi networks and connect that way. But you have to know where and where you can't get Wifi connections when wanting internet access.

You can also tether to your cell phone if your cell phone allows it (it doesn't have to be a wifi hotspot to do so).

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

You can also tether to your cell phone if your cell phone allows it (it doesn't have to be a wifi hotspot to do so).

Yes ~ and it doesn't necessarily have to be a contract with one of the big four brands on their direct account, it could be one of their side product lines or resellers that wholesale from one of those networks ~ for instance, Virgin offers a 5 device mobile hotspot which allows pay as you go, and Credo recently added cellphone data tethering, for people who don't want their cellphone fees to go to buying congressmen to lock own the internet.