Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Nook placement in stores

There are three B&N stores near us.  We frequent two of them--we're at one or the otherof them a few weekends a month, at least during the colder weather (which is most of the time, here in New England!)  Until a few weeks ago, when one walked into a store, the Nook display was up front and center, and one couldn't pause in front of it long enough to strip off one's hat & gloves before an eager employee asked if one had any questions about the Nook. In the last month, the Nook displays have been shifted back.  At the big store in West Hartford Center, it's now opposite the cafe.  At the other, it's way back in the Remote Zones--you have to go looking for it. At both stores, I've had to go looking for help to answer questions about my Nooks.  Now, when I find someone, he and/or she has been wonderful.  When I asked why the Nooks were moved back, I was told that Corporate had ordered it.

But the last time I was in a store (about my overheating HD+, which was replaced on the spot with a brand new one--so services was great!)...*I* was the one who answered questions for someone interested in buying a new HD+ and essentially sold her on it.  Whens he went to the counter, the employee( a great guy)  asked if she had any questions, and she gestured back to me and said, "No, she answered them."  He smiled and said, "Yeah, she's one of our regulars."  I don't mind--I really do love my Nooks and I'm happy wioth B&N--but I worry about why Nook is now being almost hidden and certainly not being promoted.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook placement in stores

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's interesting.

Might be that some stores are being asked to de-emphasize the Nook if Nooks aren't selling much in those stores.

Might be just a general decision to de-emphasize the Nook.

My gut feeling is that B&N is done with Nook hardware and/or is shifting over to Windows 8 based Nooks.

I really don't see 'long-term' moves and see lot sof short-term moves like sales and such which seem to be a clearing up and cleaning out of things.

Just my 2 cents.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

The last two weeks...first in West Hartford, then the other one in Farmington.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

>>My gut feeling is that B&N is done with Nook hardware and/or is shifting over to Windows 8 based Nooks.<<

That what worries me.I love my Nooks and don't regret buying them--but I hate to think of having lost the investment in all those B&N books.  (Heck, I may never even get around to reading all those free Friday books before the hardware eventually gives out & I can't replace it.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

The epub format wouldn't be affected. The reader app etc would be ported over. There is no reason to think your investment would be threatened.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

If they do move over to Win8 from Android I don't see any reason why you'd lose any of your eLibrary. When the switch was made to epub, most everything switched over with it. *cough*And, if you're handy with Calibre you can port them over to another format if need be *cough*
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What KAmas and PatgolfNeb said.

1) eBooks would not be affected at all. There's already Nook for Windows 8 that reads your Nook purchases just fine.

2) Apps would be affected. Since Android Apps can't be shifted over to Windows 8. However, Windows 8 has a SUPER HIGH percentage of free apps. And it has 60K+ apps and adding 10K a month (which is = total Nook Apps). So you'd have a lot of range and lot more apps.

3) Videos would be available since Nook Videos App is supposed to be released.

Windows 7 you'd also get the benefit of lots and lots of companies making Windows 8 Apps before Nook Apps and often even before Android Apps.

There are millions of developers for Windows and all of them will be making apps for Windows 8.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

This is the last month of the fiscal year.  Any store not making their numbers, or that is close on those numbers, or just wants to pad the books so to speak, is cutting down on hours.  Nook is pretty much a no brainer to cut for the following reasons.

1) you can have staff that knows Nook in the store doing other things besides standing at a desk for 8+ hours. 

2) Really most of the time the Nook shift is spent trouble shooting either hands on w/ the Nook or over the phone with store support.  Very little is actually spent selling the Nooks.  People tend not to make spur of the moment decisions to spend a hundred, or two hundred dollars. 

As to the change in placement, I don't know why that's happening in those stores.  It hasn't happened where I work, nor have I heard anything about dropping Nook support overall. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for the information. That makes sense.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

That's reassuring!  I see your ppoint about staff supplying Nook support as opposed to selling--although hands on support IS one of the advertised advantages of the Nook (and one I have experienced and greatly appreciate.)

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

BN has been testing a new store layout called "Books in Center" - the center of the store is all the stacks, while the specialty departments (NOOK, Gift, Cafe, etc.) are around the periphery of the building. Sort of like a box within a box.

I think this might be related.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

It could also be security related.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN has been testing a new store layout called "Books in Center" - the center of the store is all the stacks, while the specialty departments (NOOK, Gift, Cafe, etc.) are around the periphery of the building. Sort of like a box within a box.

I think this might be related.

I'd be nice if B&N would skip "Books in Center" and go back to just "Books".  Honestly, I used to like going to my local B&Ns, but now, with all the games and toys and other random junk for sale, it just makes me sad, so I avoid going altogether.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I used to like going to my local B&Ns, but now, with all the games and toys and other random junk for sale, it just makes me sad, so I avoid going altogether.

Author Andrew T. Shaffer, writing as "Evil Wylie", responded to the tweet "At B&N now. At least there's air conditioning." with this:

That should be B&N’s new tagline. "At least we have air conditioning."

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

That makes sense--after all, it's a BOOK store!  and it's reassuring in terms of the Nook.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

There are not enough people buying books at stores to support the size of stores B&N has.

So B&N has to sell other stuff.

I guess that means reduced book choice and lower book sales.

It's strange. Not sure what B&N stores will end up as.

keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

It's strange. Not sure what B&N stores will end up as.

Closed?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

It actually mainly involves margins. The margins on printed books have always fairly low - in the 10 - 15% range after all the costs are taken out. With the drastic slow down in paper book sales BN simply isn't making enough cash from straight book sales, and even going to a smaller store format wouldn't really fix the problem.

So they branched out into high margin catagories like toys, coffee, and knicknacks. It really does stink, but the average BN is still carrying ~100k unique titles, so they're still the best place to browse. Just not as great as they used to be.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

My gut feeling is that B&N is done with Nook hardware and/or is shifting over to Windows 8 based Nooks.

You keep pushing the idea of Windows 8-based Nooks ... why?  I've seen NO evidence of any such shift.  Is it just wishful thinking or have you seen some tech trade info that shows they're designing or contracting out the design of a platform like that?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria