Wordsmith
jeanniepep

NookColor in bright sunlight

Okay, it's wearing on my nerves that all the Nook Classic owners keep saying how you can't read the Nook Color's LCD screen in bright sunlight, i.e. take it to the beach.  But, I only hear it from people who don't even have a Nook Color.

For those of you who actually OWN a Nook Color and have physically taken it out into the bright sunlight, what do you think?  NO SPECULATION, only answer if you've actually tried it yourself.

Personally I have taken it along on many a bright sunny car trip, and have not had a problem at all. I have to crank up the screen brightness a bit, but it has not been an issue.  No beach trips yet, but only because it's been about 5 degrees in Michigan since I got it :smileyindifferent:

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

Re: NookColor in bright sunlight

[ Edited ]

I agree, Jenniepep.

It was 85 degrees here on Sunday, and I'm not bragging.  I would prefer it at least a little cooler in December!  I read my NOOKColor in direct sunlight at the baseball fields and it was perfectly fine.  The only minor modification I made was to adjust the brightness a bit.  I read, surfed the web, and played a crossword while waiting for the next game and had no trouble at all.

Perhaps nook classic is "better" in the sunlight because you don't have to change brightness, but the NC works just fine.  I'm kind of tired of people talking about it on the other board, to be honest.  :smileywink:

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

Okay, it's wearing on my nerves that all the Nook Classic owners keep saying how you can't read the Nook Color's LCD screen in bright sunlight, i.e. take it to the beach.  But, I only hear it from people who don't even have a Nook Color.

For those of you who actually OWN a Nook Color and have physically taken it out into the bright sunlight, what do you think?  NO SPECULATION, only answer if you've actually tried it yourself.

Personally I have taken it along on many a bright sunny car trip, and have not had a problem at all. I have to crank up the screen brightness a bit, but it has not been an issue.  No beach trips yet, but only because it's been about 5 degrees in Michigan since I got it :smileyindifferent:

That annoys me as well. If you don't have one, give up on the speculation.

I specifially took it to my favorite spot in my yard in bright sunlight and had no problems.

Contributor
hakepuck
0 Kudos

I  have read in the sunlight and it is very readable.  MUUUUUCH better than I expected it would be.

Reader 4
Rich_G
0 Kudos

I just tried it with bright sunlight streaming in the window ( 14 F here in Michigan ) and I can read the display but there is quite a bit of  glare from the glass screen  - way more than on my original Nook and Kindle 3. 

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

The NC is SURPRISINGLY readable in direct sunlight.  I would expect the LCD to "fade" but it does not.  If anything, the glare is the only problem.  And this is fixable to a point with the anti-glare screens.

Reader 4
Rich_G
0 Kudos

only if the anti-glare screens do not affect the ability to register an accurate touch - something I find the Color Nook already weak on - hopefully that can be fixed in the reported January update

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I have the "increased glare" screen (a.k.a. gloss - what was I thinking?) and the touchscreen is QUITE sensitive on mine.  I am eventually going to peel it off and slap on an anti-glare because looking at my own reflection while I read is a little unsettling.

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

I tilted my body about an inch over and cranked up the brightness. That's it for me.  Outdoors in the sunshine state :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I practically never read outdoors, except maybe once in awhile in the car, and I haven't tried it with the NC yet.  But I'm glad to hear all these reports that it works well in sunlight.  Indoors I am amazed at how close it actually is to e-ink.  I actually leave the brightness all the way down, all the time and I'm fine with that.  I still prefer to read it with another light on in the room, but if I have to read in complete darkness I can.  I got over my passion for e-ink in about two days of having the NC. 

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I have both Nook Classic and Nookcolor. Love them both, but I cannot stand to read on the Nookcolor in the sunlight. Way too much glare, and I have the antiglare screen installed.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
Cr8z13

I find that the "Night" background is the easiest on the eyes in sunlight.
Contributor
readerRH
0 Kudos

I just got back from St. Thomas.  Reading on the beach was next to impossible.  I tried every setting and I agree that the night setting is the best.  If you are buying this to read outside you will be very disappointed.  I love my NC but do NOT recommend it for bright light usage.

Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

@Jeanniepep,

I think a lot of the "not being able to read in sunlight" actually stems from the iPad and people having a problem reading in the bright sunlight. Nook Color = iPad in a lot of people's minds these days :-)

I live down here in Sunny Arizona and I have taken my Nook Color outdoors to read in bright sunlight with no problems :-) Every so often I will turn the brightness up a bit since I keep it on totally dark to read it indoors.

I also have an anti-glare screen protector and I think that makes a big difference. I don't have light bouncing off of fingerprints in the sunshine like I did before I got the screen protector but your experience may vary :-)

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

I had a very hard time reading outside when I first got my NC. It's very bright here, even in winter. I got a non-glare screen protector and it has made a HUGE difference. I can read outside now with no issues, even in direct sunlight. I am going to FL in three weeks so we'll see how it does on the beach and by the pool soon. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

I took it to the park earlier in the week, and aside from having to crank up the brightness setting a bit, found it to be a comfortable experience (a little cold, but comfortable none the less).

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Contributor
jtpryan
0 Kudos

There are "background" settings?  Where are those?

-Jim

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

While reading, touch the screen to bring up the menu, then touch "Text" to bring up the Text options.  One of the settings on that menu is "Normal" which is white background with black text, but if you touch that it will bring up other background options, such as "Night" (black background w/ white text), Sepia, Butter, and Grey.  You can adjust the Brightness level on any of those settings once you find one you like!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

jtpryan wrote:

There are "background" settings?  Where are those?

-Jim

They are available when you are reading a book.  Tap in the center of the page and then tap on the Text option in the menu.  The second window in the middle probably says "Normal."  If you tap on that it will open a drop down menu with different background options for the book.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

If you wear polaroid sunglasses, forguddabit

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.