Inspired Scribe
kamas716

NookStudy boards seem to have disappeared

Not only have the NookStudy boards disappeared, but I don't see it or Nook for PC/Mac listed on the webpage of Apps anymore either.

I wonder if B&N is dropping support for those apps?  It would be a shame if they are.  Glad I already have those programs downloaded on a couple of my laptops.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: NookStudy boards seem to have disappeared

Wow.  I'm starting to wonder if nook is going away altogether.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Nook for PC has been gone for at least 6 weeks; my sister went  to download it toward the end of April, and it had disappeared. The Nook Study thread has been put under the Archived section; it was still active as of Friday.

Maybe B&N is coming out with a new PC app that supports Children's Books and textbooks... 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
keriflur

laurieb52 wrote:

Nook for PC has been gone for at least 6 weeks; my sister went  to download it toward the end of April, and it had disappeared. The Nook Study thread has been put under the Archived section; it was still active as of Friday.

Maybe B&N is coming out with a new PC app that supports Children's Books and textbooks... 

The idea that they would pull the current app before even announcing the new app is a bit disturbing.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

The Nook study app for pc is still available --- its just buried in the textbook area.

Re: Nook for pc being gone -- someone at B&N is apparently under the delusion that we've all upgraded to Windows 8. :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Didnt there used to be a Nook for Mac app too?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookGardener wrote:

Didnt there used to be a Nook for Mac app too?

Yes, and it also appears to be gone.  It still works if you have it installed already, and I imagine if you have the installer it'll install. 

For those worried about backing up their ebooks I know you can, at least for the NST/G. 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2012/05/fat-glowworm-using-your-sd-card-as.html

That method does -not- require you to root your NST/G, it will require two micro SD cards though.  Rousta put that together, so we should all thank him. 

What it does is basically sets the download location for purchased B&N books to your SD card rather than the internal and hidden partition.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Wow. This is really strange.

Windows 8 has single digit market share. It's a bit crazy to remove Nook for PC. There must be an update planned that integrates NookStudy into Nook for PC. That's the only possibility that makes sense.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Now you have ne worried. I've been configuring a new Win7 machine to replace my WinXP and the nook program is one that I haven't got on the new one.

Am I going to have to go back to pulling cryptic ISBN file names from my First Edition to create backups. Rather than getting longer names on the computer.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Download Nook Study for PC instead.  Its very similar.

Just pick whatever your local community college when it asks for a school. (Around the beginning of April, noticec that some titles werent available for download to nook for pc --- according to the little "?" on the website. But they were available for Nook Study. Now its making a little sense.)

keriflur
0 Kudos

IMO this is all a bit strange - I know they introduced Nook for Web, but there hasn't been one new release book that I've downloaded that I've been able to read on it.  It doesn't seem like a viable solution for PC and Mac users because of this, but I can't imagine that B&N expects us all to download NookStudy, especially as it's not even on the reading apps page.  And they've pulled the board, implying that NookStudy will be going away also, leaving PC/Mac readers with nothing.

For me, this is a good reason to buy books from Google Play, as their web app actually lets me read everything I buy, they have apps for all my devices, and I can sideload to my NST.  Right now, I can't read my B&N books on my work laptop or my Mac, so why should I buy more?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

IMO this is all a bit strange - I know they introduced Nook for Web, but there hasn't been one new release book that I've downloaded that I've been able to read on it.  It doesn't seem like a viable solution for PC and Mac users because of this, but I can't imagine that B&N expects us all to download NookStudy, especially as it's not even on the reading apps page.  And they've pulled the board, implying that NookStudy will be going away also, leaving PC/Mac readers with nothing.

For me, this is a good reason to buy books from Google Play, as their web app actually lets me read everything I buy, they have apps for all my devices, and I can sideload to my NST.  Right now, I can't read my B&N books on my work laptop or my Mac, so why should I buy more?

Concerning Nookstudy, it does leave one with the impression that it may be going away. That's sad...if B&N had thrown enough resources into it to launch an iPad app (& NookColor) three years ago, they could have gotten a huge chunk of the college etextbook market. No one had anything like it...it would have been a big seller.

Concerning the apps, it seems it's becoming more difficult to download a copy of a book to archive at home. Not impossible, certainly, just more difficult. However, I suppose there's an alternate source of the installation file for N4PC, isn't there? My program works well but I don't think I kept the installation file in case I needed to reload it.

Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker
0 Kudos

According to BN customer service, who couldn't or wouldn't tell me WHY they got rid of Nook PC/Mac app, all you can do is download NookStudy. Which of course is not easily found on BN.com, nor does it indicate you can access your library from it, so the average person won't have any idea you can do that. Also Nook for Web supports the latest versions of IE 9, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. So in theory your nookbooks should still be readable on a PC or Mac with those latest updates to their browsers.

The fact that there IS a Windows 8 app plus you can log in to BN.com through your Windows account now, may mean either that we are getting out of the tablet business altogether and concentrating on our Apps and ereaders OR we have new devices for Xmas only a year after the HD/HD+ that will be Windows based and the Google Play update less than 6 months after release is a big thank you to all our previous customers but kind of a way to ease the pain if/when the new devcies come out.

Irony of ironies however...our computers here at my store run Win XP with IE8 being the latest version that can be downloaded...so Nook for Web won't run on BN's own computers. We are so cheap. Although that's probably how we've survived this long. (End Rant)

keriflur
0 Kudos

TriscuitCracker wrote:

Also Nook for Web supports the latest versions of IE 9, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. So in theory your nookbooks should still be readable on a PC or Mac with those latest updates to their browsers.

That would require the books to be nook-for-web-ready, and pretty much every new release I buy is not, so...  My latest habit is to check ot see if a book can be read on Nook for Web, and if not, I buy it from Google.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,000

Nook for PC and Mac

Wordsmith
Tim40744

Re: Nook for PC and Mac

Doug_Pardee wrote:

For those who want to grab one last download:

Nook for PC: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/download/ereader/ereader-windows.asp

Nook for Mac: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/download/ereader/ereader-mac.asp

Thank you, Doug. I'll put this up for hard times and rainy days. :smileywink:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for PC and Mac

This is so true:

If B&N had thrown enough resources into it to launch an iPad app (& NookColor) three years ago, they could have gotten a huge chunk of the college etextbook market. No one had anything like it...it would have been a big seller.

Correspondent
moony3424
0 Kudos

I was trying to find it because I noticed that my nook study is very unstable.  Has anybody else had this problem?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

The Nook study app for pc is still available --- its just buried in the textbook area.

Re: Nook for pc being gone -- someone at B&N is apparently under the delusion that we've all upgraded to Windows 8. :smileywink:

Getting things ready for new management. Can't be encouraging people with old Windows XP netbooks to keep using them.

NB: :smileyhappy:  ...  a wisecrack, not reporting any "news" (aka rumor).

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I was just on Nook for PC and I got a download error statement about B&N having technical difficulties.  I went in through NookStudy and my latest eBooks downloaded and opened just fine.  Hopefully it really is just short term 'technical difficulties'.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716