Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: NookStudy boards seem to have disappeared

Just tried it again and Nook for PC downloaded everything fine.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Apple announces iBooks for Mac

Apple today announced iBooks for Mac.

Meanwhile, B&N has pulled NOOK for Mac.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Apple announces iBooks for Mac

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Apple today announced iBooks for Mac.

Meanwhile, B&N has pulled NOOK for Mac.

I'm kinda surprised this didn't exist before.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

B&N confirms death of NOOK for PC and NOOK for Mac

[ Edited ]

Nate Hoffelder, at The Digital Reader, reported today that he's received confirmation from B&N:

We are no longer supporting NOOK for PC for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. To enjoy the NOOK content on your PC please use the NOOK for Windows 8 App or NOOK for Web. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-for-web/379003594/

A similar statement was made for NOOK for Mac. B&N didn't bother to suggest using NOOK Study instead.

Hoffelder goes on to add some personal remarks:

The manner in which B&N retired the Nook for PC and Nook for Mac app suggests that B&N doesn’t care much about ebooks any more. ... B&N is cutting their losses. It looks to me like they are giving up.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: B&N confirms death of NOOK for PC and NOOK for Mac

Hoffelder: The manner in which B&N retired the Nook for PC and Nook for Mac app suggests that B&N doesn’t care much about ebooks any more. ... B&N is cutting their losses. It looks to me like they are giving up.

Getting out of the tablet market? I could see. For a variety of reasons, that's not an area they can win anymore. Getting out of the eink market as some have predicted? That's a different market from the tablet one, and getting out of it would be a bad move in my opinion. Dropping ebooks completely? Insanity.Since I firmly believe that ebooks are a large part of the future, I think giving up on ebooks entirely would be a huge mistake on B&N's part.

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Credit

kamas716 can take the credit for breaking this story, right here in this thread. From this thread, I passed it along to Nathan at The Ebook Reader — not to be confused with Nate at The Digital Reader — and his story was picked up by everybody else. All of the reports I've seen can be traced back to kamas716's original posting.

keriflur

Re: B&N confirms death of NOOK for PC and NOOK for Mac

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Hoffelder goes on to add some personal remarks:

The manner in which B&N retired the Nook for PC and Nook for Mac app suggests that B&N doesn’t care much about ebooks any more. ... B&N is cutting their losses. It looks to me like they are giving up.

I normally don't think much of Hoffelder, but on this we agree.  It certainly looks like B&N has shovel in hand and is working hard to dig itself six feet under.  I hate to say it, but I feel like it's time to start shopping elsewhere for my books in a more full-time fashion (until today I was buying 50-75% from B&N, and about 80% of my currently-owned ebooks are nookbooks.)  I'm not afraid that my current books won't be readable or that my online library will go away, it's more that I expect other companies will continue to improve their reading experience, and B&N isn't going to do that in at least some of the arenas available to them.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Re: Credit

Thanks, I guess I can pour myself a drink tonight. 

Like TnTexas said, it's crazy for B&N to drop eBooks.  I can't imagine them doing so.  I could see them dropping the hardware and offering apps for other devices, but you'd think they'd keep Nook of PC/Mac and NookStudy around then.  I don't have any idea how many people are actually using Win8, but I'd think it's a smaller market than are using XP/Vista/7/Mac.  The HD we bought my wife yesterday is looking like it'll probably be the last Nook product we buy at this point.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hold the phone, who says they're getting out of eBooks?  They just stopped supporting a PROGRAM that we used to read ebooks.  They appear to want to push us all to reading using our web-browsers instead.  This is not very different than what a lot of other companies do internally; I can't think of one bit of info that my company doesn't have us deal with using a program anymore; we're 100% web for payroll, timekeeping, healthcare, project status, etc.

I am NOT saying a web-only reader is good idea. Iin fact, their website fails to load a lot and, of course, is only useful when I'm connected to the internet so I couldn't put books on my laptop and fly and, I guess, their answer to that must be "use a Nook."

But, look at it from their side.  They can focus on supporting a limited set of web browsers instead of an increasing number of versions of Windows.  They can PUSH fixes to everyone if they find a problem (since we'll all just be getting the new page every time we login) instead of hoping we all keep updated.  So much better than having a problem, dealing with everyone that got stuck on hold just to tell them "please download and install the latest version... yes, I'll sit with you while you do that..."

I agree that there are about a hundred better ways to manage this transition than they did; just making Nook for PC vanish and hoping we would all just go web was not smart.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Byteguy: [snip] I am NOT saying a web-only reader is good idea. Iin fact, their website fails to load a lot and, of course, is only useful when I'm connected to the internet so I couldn't put books on my laptop and fly and, I guess, their answer to that must be "use a Nook." ......  I agree that there are about a hundred better ways to manage this transition than they did; just making Nook for PC vanish and hoping we would all just go web was not smart.

Just the latest in in string of questionable decisions B&N has made in the last couple of years.I really do wonder sometimes how connected to the rest of the world B&N's decision-makers are sometimes.

keriflur

[ Edited ]

Byteguy wrote:

I agree that there are about a hundred better ways to manage this transition than they did; just making Nook for PC vanish and hoping we would all just go web was not smart.

It would have been smarter to make all ebooks readable on the web app before insisting everyone use it.

Mercury_Glitch

TnTexas wrote:

Byteguy: [snip] I am NOT saying a web-only reader is good idea. Iin fact, their website fails to load a lot and, of course, is only useful when I'm connected to the internet so I couldn't put books on my laptop and fly and, I guess, their answer to that must be "use a Nook." ......  I agree that there are about a hundred better ways to manage this transition than they did; just making Nook for PC vanish and hoping we would all just go web was not smart.

Just the latest in in string of questionable decisions B&N has made in the last couple of years.I really do wonder sometimes how connected to the rest of the world B&N's decision-makers are sometimes.

I wonder how connected they are to each other.  You would think the different divisions within B&N were actually different companies that just operated in a shared space. 

That said, dropping support for the PC/Mac makes some sense.  As was mentioned it lessens the trouble shooting they need to provide, and I don't know about the average person but I only used the Nook for Mac app to download my B&N eBooks.  Which I can do via a 'hack' for my NSTG, which doesn't require rooting so even if I didn't root I'd still be fine.

I think the Windows 8 app is B&N drinking the MS kool-aid and believing that Windows 8 is going to be wildly popular.  I'm running Windows 7 (yes for those keeping track I have both Mac and Windows machines I'm a double agent), I have no interest in upgrading to Windows 8.  Those I know who have Windows 8 haven't been overly impressed with it.  And the fact that there is already or soon will be an update that allows users to go back to the Windows 7 look says to me that MS is getting a LOT of negative feedback about the new UI. 

Forum regulars will not be surprised when I say getting out of the tablet race would be wise for B&N.  It's just not a race they can afford to lose, and it's one that takes a lot of know how to be able to do very well in.  Especially when you're running against companies like Apple, Samsung, Google, and to a lesser extent Amazon (lesser because even with the Kindle, Amazon is not a tech company).  I wont deny that B&N has good hardware, but they've shown time and time again that they just can't get the marketshare that would justify the cost.

eInk is different.  There are not as many major players, Amazon doesn't seem to pressed to push the KPW, Sony just doesn't seem to care about their eInk device, there have been a handful of other companies throwing out devices but none of seemed to stick around long.  With the notable exception of Kobo, which really is B&Ns major eInk competition.  B&N has a rather nice leg up on Kobo in North America, all these wonderful retail stores that carry the Nook.  How well they utilize those stores is a different matter.  Kobo is better at pushing internationally, but B&N has at least been showing effort and movement on that front.  If B&N can step up their game in international roll out, and produce a competitive eInk device to the Aura I think they have a shot at being the big player in eInk. 

To sum it up, they could try and go with tablets, but I think they'd be a small fish in a really big pond.  Or they could go with eInk and be a big fish in a small pond. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch: I wonder how connected they are to each other.  You would think the different divisions within B&N were actually different companies that just operated in a shared space.

You absolutely would.

Forum regulars will not be surprised when I say getting out of the tablet race would be wise for B&N.  It's just not a race they can afford to lose, and it's one that takes a lot of know how to be able to do very well in.  Especially when you're running against companies like Apple, Samsung, Google, and to a lesser extent Amazon (lesser because even with the Kindle, Amazon is not a tech company).  I wont deny that B&N has good hardware, but they've shown time and time again that they just can't get the marketshare that would justify the cost.

eInk is different.  There are not as many major players, Amazon doesn't seem to pressed to push the KPW, Sony just doesn't seem to care about their eInk device, there have been a handful of other companies throwing out devices but none of seemed to stick around long.  With the notable exception of Kobo, which really is B&Ns major eInk competition.  B&N has a rather nice leg up on Kobo in North America, all these wonderful retail stores that carry the Nook.  How well they utilize those stores is a different matter.  Kobo is better at pushing internationally, but B&N has at least been showing effort and movement on that front.  If B&N can step up their game in international roll out, and produce a competitive eInk device to the Aura I think they have a shot at being the big player in eInk.

To sum it up, they could try and go with tablets, but I think they'd be a small fish in a really big pond.  Or they could go with eInk and be a big fish in a small pond.

This. So this.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I'm also in the camp that the Win8 module is probably M$ influence.  I went out of my way to get Win7 Pro on my new desktop machine (which is still not on my computer desk -- I still need to configure a substitute printer driver to work with my printer and move two SATA drives to it. The rest of the software is not in the daily need category).

M$ wasn't even planning to release a version of Visual Studio 2012 Express that could build standard applications -- only Win8 Metro apps. Though that changed after enough complaints (and it seems 2012 is an all-in-one; 2010 had seperate GUIs for each of Visual Basic, V C++, and V C#).

P

Baron Wulfraed
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BN is run by MBA's, who have it drilled into their head that their sole reason for existence is to generate returns for their stockholders. It has been repeatedly proven that BN's management has no vision whatsoever outside of that narrow "make the stockholders happy" so I'm not sure why this surprises anyone anymore.

E: As much as people complain about it (and I'm willing to bet very few have actually even used it) Windows 8 and the Windows App Store are the future of the platform. Giving up on legacy support is stupid, but not unheard of.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr: BN is run by MBA's, who have it drilled into their head that their sole reason for existence is to generate returns for their stockholders. It has been repeatedly proven that BN's management has no vision whatsoever outside of that narrow "make the stockholders happy" so I'm not sure why this surprises anyone anymore.

Even in that paradigm, many of their decisions don't make sense, though. I mean, wouldn't making decisions designed to keep the company alive and vibrant make the stockholders happier than a failing, dying company will?

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN is run by MBA's, who have it drilled into their head that their sole reason for existence is to generate returns for their stockholders. It has been repeatedly proven that BN's management has no vision whatsoever outside of that narrow "make the stockholders happy" so I'm not sure why this surprises anyone anymore.

E: As much as people complain about it (and I'm willing to bet very few have actually even used it) Windows 8 and the Windows App Store are the future of the platform. Giving up on legacy support is stupid, but not unheard of.

WOW!!  This is your very first post in this thread, and it is nothing more than a blatant troll.  Furthermore, it is patently false!

Are you asserting that the CEO of Barnes and Noble is an MBA?  Show us the evidence. 

Is this your idea of loyalty to your employer?  :smileysurprised:

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

E: As much as people complain about it (and I'm willing to bet very few have actually even used it) Windows 8 and the Windows App Store are the future of the platform.

Um, no. Windows 8 is Vista. The present is Win7, and the future is whatever comes after Win8.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

E: As much as people complain about it (and I'm willing to bet very few have actually even used it) Windows 8 and the Windows App Store are the future of the platform.

Um, no. Windows 8 is Vista. The present is Win7, and the future is whatever comes after Win8.

Oh definitely...always avoid even-numbered versions of Windows. It's the opposite of Star Trek movies.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

And the future is going to include the Windows App Store, which will include the NOOK for Win8 App.