Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for PC

I assume they removed the "B&N" because as there aren't any B&N stores, the name isn't known the way it is here.  Name recognition for NOOK is easier than name recognition for Barnes and Noble NOOK.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

What Keri said. BN has been gradually phasing out their name from NOOK products for a while because it doesn't have much brand cache outside the states.

So you look at the 1st edition - there's a big "Barnes & Noble" right on the front of the device.

The NOOK Color has "NOOK by Barnes & Noble" on it's boot screen.

Then there's nothing on the Simple Touch and beyond.

I think it's silly, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Reader
ksjayhawk01
0 Kudos

Here's my problem.  My hard drive died and had to be replaced.  I work for a company that has not changed over to Windows 8 and I'm guessing is very unlikely to ever go to Windows 8.  I picked up my repaired computer yesterday and assumed incorrectly that I would be able to download my books again today.  Instead I found PC for Windows 7 gone.  I finally got through to the help people who assured me that I could download Nook Study instead.  I've done that and have discovered to my dismay that I am having to download each individual book one at a time.  Counting the samples that I planned to buy at a later day, that would be 502 books to download.  One at a time.  I'm getting angry. 

I bought mostly from Barnes and Noble because I preferred their book format over Amazon and because I thought they were a stable company and that I could enjoy the books after I retired.  This does not appear to be the case.  I am angry enough that I am currently considering whether I want to continue to buy Nook Books. 

I did try to click on the download button while another book was downloading and that did not work.  If anyone has a solution for the one individual book at a time download I would be interested. 

roustabout

[ Edited ]

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/download/ereader/ereader-mac.asp

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/download/ereader/ereader-windows.asp

are [for now] live links to the mac and xp/v/7 program.  get 'em while you can.

Credit to doug pardee on the first page of this discussion for finding them.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader
ksjayhawk01
0 Kudos

Thank you.  It worked.  You have no idea how happy and relieved this makes me. 

roustabout

Actually, I have some idea - your problem is a big part of why I like having an e-ink nook around, and why I figured out how to make it download to its sdcard rather than to it's hidden memory. 

I'm able to get backup copies of all of my magazines using it, as well as my books.  But I'm concerned about the app being largely discontinued.  I think the Nook division is headed the way of the Palm division of 3Com, except for the part where Palm did really well for a few years.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Oh, so that's what happened to Palm. I'd forgotten. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

hey, it's apparently coming to an lg tv near you one day... speaking of implosions, remember Adaptec?
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:
hey, it's apparently coming to an lg tv near you one day... speaking of implosions, remember Adaptec?

Isn't Adaptec still in business?  They sold the name and the storage products business, but the product line survives under different ownership, doesn't it?  Doesn't Adaptec still own Aristos ASIC?  Isn't that a profitable business? 

Are you referring to the Adaptec that produced the best SCSI controllers in the world -- the ones I have been using in server computers for very many years, and the ones that I am using today in my desktop computers?  That Adaptec?

Just wondering.  It seems that support and drivers are still available, but are new SCSI controllers still being manufactured, or has SATA completely squeezed out SCSI as a technology? 

roustabout

I don't know what Aristos ASIC does lately so I don't know if it's profitable or has been sold on?  Perhaps their business is fabricating the controllers for PMC?  The speculation when Adaptec sold the storage controller side to PMC was that what PMC would have more naturally been interested was the ASIC business. 

PMC are making SATA and SAS and I believe flash targeted RAID controllers.  The Adaptec branding lives on in those products, and the new company has probably kept some of the core engineering team on board.  I don't think LG has kept any of the WebOS team on, but there I'm not sure. 

Adaptec had no real presence in storage beyond the one product line, despite repeated attempts.  Fibre channel's insanely high margin - no toehold.  That silly iSCSI technology - that now represents a bigger market (with thinner margins) than FC - no viable toehold. 

(that last may not be completely true - Snap appliances probably had some limited iSCSI ability, but Adaptec didn't wind up making Snap work well, which surprised me.) 

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Adaptec?

Weren't they the originator of Easy CD Creator...Which then became Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator in competition with Sonic MyDVD... And then bought up by Sonic resulting in the highly functional Adaptec packet writer being replaced by the problematic Sonic equivalent. (in my experience, Adaptec really did well at writing files as"dropped", Sonic grew into the "stage for later burning" that M$ standardized on).

Sonic/Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 actually had the Sonic "Drag&Drop" module conflict with the OS on my new system.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

Adaptec?

Weren't they the originator of Easy CD Creator...Which then became Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator in competition with Sonic MyDVD... And then bought up by Sonic resulting in the highly functional Adaptec packet writer being replaced by the problematic Sonic equivalent. (in my experience, Adaptec really did well at writing files as"dropped", Sonic grew into the "stage for later burning" that M$ standardized on).

Sonic/Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 actually had the Sonic "Drag&Drop" module conflict with the OS on my new system.

I wasn't aware that it was an Adaptec product (or at least I didn't remember that).  I did, however, use the Roxio product.

In my experience, Adaptec produced the best SCSI controllers, and in many years of installing them, I only had one failure out-of-warranty.

The Windows 7 machine that I am using to create this message has an Adaptec Ultra SCSI RAID controller running RAID 1 that has been in near-constant use for more than seven years.  I thought that Adaptec made a high-quality product. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Adaptec had no real presence in storage beyond the one product line, despite repeated attempts.  Fibre channel's insanely high margin - no toehold.  That silly iSCSI technology - that now represents a bigger market (with thinner margins) than FC - no viable toehold. 

Why do you suppose that Adaptec couldn't make inroads into the FC market?  I mean, they obviously had some good engineering talent.  Curious.