Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Credit

Hey keriflur, you're famous!  Here's a pcmag article that references a quote by you from this very thread.  I'm sure this will create some sort of circular vacuum of self referencing citations (or some such nonsense) anyways just wanted to share.

Also on topic, fwiw: I don't think it's an unusual move to end support of the client, I believe the web client can/will provide better support as describe by flyingtoastr somewhere else on these boards, but how it was handled (meaning not at all) was very poorly done.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

I was wondering when Deesy would try and derail this thread.

You have a strange notion of who does what on these boards.  You shouldn't let your biases interfere with your perceptions quite so much.  It wasn't me who derailed the thread, it was flyingtoaster with a nasty screed about B&N Management and MBAs.  Then, of course, his "friends" had to jump in and add fuel to the fire.  That post met every definition of a troll.  It was designed to provoke a response, and it did. 

I find it quite unprofessional and alarming that B&N employees are trying to turn the B&N Nook Clubs Web Forum into a disgruntled employee "bitch board," so to speak.  The B&N employees charged with the responsibility of maintaining these boards are complicit in the effort, IMO.  I don't believe any of you are being held against your will, or working in indentured servitude, so if you are so disenchanted with your employer, why don't you just quit and go work someplace else? 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Brevity is the soul of wit.  You seem to lack wit.  Not my fault.  *shrugs*

If I lack wit, it is an absolute certainty that you lack brevity.  You post in every single thread, regardless of whether you have anything meaningful to say.  :smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

deesy58 wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Brevity is the soul of wit.  You seem to lack wit.  Not my fault.  *shrugs*

If I lack wit, it is an absolute certainty that you lack brevity.  You post in every single thread, regardless of whether you have anything meaningful to say.  :smileytongue:

And you clearly do not know what brevity means.  I'm not sure you know what meaningful means either, and you've shown repeatedly that you struggle with the definition of troll.  Maybe you'd like to subscribe to a word-of-the-day program?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I have yet to come across a new release that can be read in Nook for Web, and only about half of the backlist in my library can. So for me, it's not most, it's few.

/shrug

Out of the 158 ebooks in my library, there are a total of 13 that NOOK for Web doesn't work with.

Five are comic books, which I wouldn't expect to work anyway (since they never worked with the NOOK for Mac client either).

• Man of Steel #1
  • Dr. Horrible
  • The Metamorphosis
  • Batman: Earth One #1
  • Star Wars: Blood of the Empire #1

Three are children's books, which again never worked with the clients.

• Fun Facts About Pets
  • Richard Scarry's Colors
  • The Elephant's Child

Two are enhanced ebooks.

• The Last Boy
  • CSS and Documents

The final three are the only oddities that occurred. All three are pretty major novels, and all the authors have other titles that happily pur along in the web client. I'm actually at a loss as to why they can't be read online. 

• The Da Vinci Code
  • The Hobbit
  • A Dance With Dragons

The point I'm getting at is NOOK for Web is a YMMV kind of thing. If you have a lot of children's books you're of course going to be SOL (but you were already SOL since they didn't work with the native clients anyway). If you're like me and read mostly adult fiction it seems to cover most stuff with a few odd exceptions. 

I think removing the native clients was a stupid move for stupid reasons (I'm still guessing payroll cutting - NOOK for Web just requires a developer with a single proficiency - HTML5/Javascript - versus having to have dedicated Cocoa and C developers for native clients), but I'm willing to bet for most people it isn't a huge change in the status quo for what they were able to read on their computers.

keriflur
0 Kudos

My nook library is almost entirely fiction, all epub format (I have no enhanced books).  I did a run through of it this morning to see if anything had improved, and I'm at about 50% compatible with Nook for Web (this is a noticeable improvement from the last time I checked).  I have a mix of adult and YA novels.  It should be noted that the improvement was entirely in backlist books, not in books released in the last 3 months.

The way I tend to read is that I buy a book on release day, and I start reading right away, usually on my lunch hour (most books release on Tuesdays).  Since Nook for Web came out, I've had a grand total of zero new releases that could be read on it during release week.  Consequently, I check B&N first, and if a book isn't compatible, I buy from Google (everything I've ever looked at from them has been compatible with their web app).

As I mentioned above, it seems B&N is making an effort to make more books available, but at a rate of zero for new releases in my sample (again, a mix of YA and adult fiction), I suspect your belief that *most* people aren't affected is a bit off.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

And you clearly do not know what brevity means.  I'm not sure you know what meaningful means either, and you've shown repeatedly that you struggle with the definition of troll.  Maybe you'd like to subscribe to a word-of-the-day program?

"In Internet slang, a troll (/'troul/, /'trol/) is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Perhaps it is you who does not understand the definition.  Mostly, it is you who injects yourself into the various threads on this forum with the intention of evoking emotion and name calling.  Almost always, it is you who initiates the exchange, then asks "Who, me?" very innocently.  You have inserted so many trolls on these threads that a major magazine is now quoting you.  I'll bet you're very proud to have been, finally, published.  :smileytongue:

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Exclusive of children's books, only 30 of the 600 other B&N ebooks in my library cannot be read on Nook for Web.  Most of mine are mystery/suspense or historical fiction, plus the B&N classics and some sci-fi.

Frankly, how many people actually "read" with Nook for PC? That's what the ereader and tablets are for.  The software program is sluggish in the extreme, does not work with most children's books or magazines, has minimal options for reading settings and freezes up constantly if you have more than a few ebooks in your library. Nook Study is a much better alternative that works with all versions of Windows, and there really is no reason for B&N to have 2 software versions for Windows PC's.

The only reason I keep Nook for PC on my computer is to use it as a back-up so if I want to sideload a book, I can find it easily it by title instead of number.  However, B&N ebooks can be downloaded without any version of Nook for PC and pulled into Calibre to manage. You just have the same headaches you do with the Kindle for PC app - trying to guess books by numbers.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
keriflur

[ Edited ]

deesy58 wrote:
You have inserted so many trolls on these threads that a major magazine is now quoting you.  I'll bet you're very proud to have been, finally, published.  :smileytongue:

I was quoted for an ON-TOPIC statement that I made.  Maybe on-topic is the term you're struggling with?

It is neither the first time I've been quoted, nor the first time I've had my writing published, I have just not chosen to publish my fiction (yet).  I don't need to have my work published to take pride in it; I'll publish when I want to.  Neither being quoted (which I've known about since it happened - Doug told me) or having my work published is the big deal you seem to want to make it out to be.

You're coming across rather jealous though.  I guess it's a big deal to you.

So, since you've posted the definition of trolling for us, why don't you show that you're NOT trolling by either (a) joining in the ON-TOPIC discussion in a non-inflammatory way, or (b) not posting.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Nook for PC

laurieb52 wrote:

The only reason I keep Nook for PC on my computer is to use it as a back-up so if I want to sideload a book, I can find it easily it by title instead of number.  However, B&N ebooks can be downloaded without any version of Nook for PC and pulled into Calibre to manage. You just have the same headaches you do with the Kindle for PC app - trying to guess books by numbers.

I backup using my N1E, so all my books are numbers.  I use Goodreads to look up the number, but you can also use LibraryThing, the B&N website, or Amazon.  Then I change the number on the file to the book name and move it off to it's backup location (looking up the number in GR also allows me to add the exact edition that I have to my GR library, so it's very much a two birds-one stone situation for me).

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Nook for PC

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

"I was quoted for an ON-TOPIC statement that I made.  Maybe on-topic is the term you're struggling with?"

deesy58 replies:

Okay ... on topic, huh?   It seems that the OP had posted about the NOOK Study Boards disappearing (kamas716).  Just above this post, you are posting about backing up.  You never hesitate to change the topic of any thread, but you also don't hesitate to point a finger at somebody else if they do something of which you do not approve.  That's a bit fraudulent, don't you think?

I didn't make any posts at all in this thread until flyingtoastr (one of your friends, I believe) made an inappropriate and off-topic post about B&N Management on the 2nd page of the thread. 

I consider the real head of Barnes and Noble, Inc. to be the man who founded the company, and who signs the corporate letter to shareholders to be found in the Annual Report, and not the holder of a CEO title.  I should have known that some of the posters on this forum would have been confused by that because they probably have little experience or understanding of how management teams actually work.  My bad.  I did, and do, acknowledge as much. 

Consider the fact that there are several managers within the B&N organization who hold the title of CEO:

"Max Roberts is President & CEO of Barnes & Noble College Booksellers ..." 

or:

"Mitchell S. Klipper became Chief Executive Officer of Barnes & Noble's Retail Group in March 2010."

It would appear that this information, taken directly from the Barnes and Noble Web site, indicates that it is Mr. Klipper, and not Mr. Lynch, who is the CEO of the organization for which flyingtoastr works.  Mr. Klipper does not appear to hold an MBA.  Perhaps flyingtoastr doesn't even know who he works for ... 

Changing the title of the thread does not mean that you are "on-topic."  I believe that you and a few others (including me, occasionally) change the titles and the topics on these threads very frequently, so it is disingenuous to point fingers at others and accuse them of doing what you do all the time.  (I'm not going to provide examples.  There are too many to count, and if anybody wants to see them, they can look in some of the other threads on some of the other fora.) 

To continue your off-topic posting, on Page #3 of the thread, you said: "There were people who actually read through all of that? I just looked at it and thought tl;dr."  On-topic, exactly, how, keriflur?

You then continued with a post about MBAs that is every bit as "off-topic" as anybody else's.  The difference is that others might admit it, but you won't. 

I made three consecutive posts that quoted accurate and informative data about Barnes and Noble management.  The first was taken from the B&N Web site and described Mr. Leonard Riggio's background and education.  Not my words, B&N's words.  Too bad you are so emotionally charged over this issue that you didn't take the time to read the posts.

The second post was the content of Mr. Riggio's "BARNES & NOBLE 2012 LETTER TO SHAREHOLDERS."  The forum software would not format the letter to make easy reading, but the point is that it was Mr. Riggio, and not Mr. Lynch, who wrote and signed the letter.  If you had an open mind you might have considered this to be a measure of evidence about who heads up Barnes and Noble, Inc.  You could have learned something, here, but you chose not to.  I am disappointed, but not surprised.  

The third post was taken directly from the Barnes and Noble Web site, and it included the biographical summaries of key members of the B&N management team.  It clearly indicated that only three of the ten key managers of the B&N Management team held MBA degrees, making a number of the assertions on this and other threads false.  Just because one man who holds a CEO title has an MBA does not mean that the company is run by a bunch of number-crunching MBAs who have no abilities other than to "crunch numbers."  You and your friends seem to be more than willing to paint corporate managers with a broad and unflattering brush, even though you are totally unable to support your assertions. 

Perhaps if you were to add some non-fiction to your library of books you might have a less distorted perception of the world.  I am surprised that you would brag that you have only fiction in it. 

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Now, now children....

raspberry.pngLet me help you to a "time-out"!time out.jpg

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
bobstro

Did everybody catch the part about Deesy being wrong? I'd just like to dwell on that for a bit.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18

Not last.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Frustrated Teacher-3.jpg

:smileylol:

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
You're getting close, Dean. The key is to be lastER. The rest will come. Meanwhile, posting nonsense words is really screwing up my autocorrect. At the risk of going back on topic for a moment, B&N updated the NOOK app in the GoPS to remove "B&N" from the name. Looking around in the app, I see nary a mention of B&N now.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

If Deesy keeps this up I'm going to have to burrito bomb this thread too.

Re: App Name - that was done last year about when they started the push into the UK.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I think it pre-dates the UK push, the Nook app for iOS has lacked the B&N name for a good while now.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

I just checked the Play store and right above the icon of the app are the words Barnes & Noble.

bobstro
0 Kudos

B&N is listed in GoPS as the publisher, but an (apparently old) update removed B&N from the actual app title when installed on a device. GoPS doesn't list the dates of older updates, and apparently this is old new (sorry). so... why would they take the name off the Android app when pushing NOOK devices over there? The app remains "competition" for UK NOK sellers, doesn't it?