New User
tschnet
0 Kudos

Re: Not all books are lendable?

I came to this forum having the samw question....multiple post have stated that its up to the publisher. If that is the case why is only 1 or 2 books in a series lendable? I downloaded 5 books in a series, the 3 and 4th books are lend me books, the first 2 are not.

What is the reasoning in that? If your going to "lend" a friend a book, you should be able to lend all the books in the series.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Notify the publisher,

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
KingAl

tschnet wrote:

I came to this forum having the samw question....multiple post have stated that its up to the publisher. If that is the case why is only 1 or 2 books in a series lendable? I downloaded 5 books in a series, the 3 and 4th books are lend me books, the first 2 are not.

What is the reasoning in that? If your going to "lend" a friend a book, you should be able to lend all the books in the series.

Probably for the same reason the first book is often cheaper than the others - to entice you to buy the other books.

Contributor
Tuffy13
0 Kudos

So why are all the free and or .99 ebooks lendable? So an author will allow some of their books lendable and others not? Doesn't make sense. The lend me feature was misleading as it states lend ebooks to your friend"s" PLURAL not singular right, so why can you only lend it once? I also think its a bit fishy that Banes & Noble jacked up the ebook prices when Borders announced they were closing. I was in the process of buying all of Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series because most were under  $5 but had to wait till payday this was on a Monday, by Thursday they were all $7.99-14.99 whewww I was mad. I chose to by the nook because I had to drive an hour to the nearest book store and that was irritating.  

Contributor
Tuffy13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That my friend is why someone is lying about this "well its up to the publisher" B.S. Some books in a series are lendable like 1,2,3,6,8 and 4, 5 & 7 are not. Sorry thats not the publishers doing.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

Tuffy13 wrote:

I also think its a bit fishy that Banes & Noble jacked up the ebook prices when Borders announced they were closing. I was in the process of buying all of Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series because most were under  $5 but had to wait till payday this was on a Monday, by Thursday they were all $7.99-14.99 whewww I was mad. I chose to by the nook because I had to drive an hour to the nearest book store and that was irritating.  

Sorry to disillusion you, but those were discounted by MacMillan (listed at Mobileread) and they're no longer on sale. MacMillan sets the price...compare the book prices at other American vendors, you'll notice that they are the same. (The Mobileread link says "Kindle Sale" but the books were the same at B&N.)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

@Tuffy, the facts disagree with your assertions.

Here's a discussion about the publisher-controlled LendMe program, which was basically decimated when Kindle began their own version around the beginning of the year:  LendMe torpedoed by Kindle  None of the "Big Six" participate any longer; with the exception of RH's Knopf for Young Readers imprint.

The "cheap" books are all lendable because most of those books are self-published via PubIt.  Part of the PubIt TOS requires that all books published via PubIt will be lendable.  

The Stephanie Plum books are all published by Random House, who was the last publisher to join the Agency Model.  This is why when you search this forum for more info, you should search "Agency 5" rather than "Agency  6."  For approximately a year, publishers 2-6 in size participated but Random House, the largest abstained.   Now all 6 of the largest publishers (in no particular order, Random House, HarperCollins, Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Hachette and Macmillan) particpate as well as some of the smaller publishers - including Smashwords, a third-party self-publisher.

Agency Model explained and Random House joins Agency Model

If you're seeing books in your library marked "Lend Me" from any of the "Big Six," (other than Knopf) it's holdover from when they were previously lendable.  They may still say "Lendable" but when you try to lend them, it won't work.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Tuffy13 wrote:

That my friend is why someone is lying about this "well its up to the publisher" B.S. Some books in a series are lendable like 1,2,3,6,8 and 4, 5 & 7 are not. Sorry that's not the publishers doing.

Let the publisher know, it IS the publisher's decision, not B&N, not Amazon, not an retailer.  The retailer's don't own the copyright on the book and they can only do what the publisher's allow.

Another thing I've seen happen is that some authors, the earlier books in a series are published by one publisher, then the author changed publishers and the later books are published by a different publisher.  Different publishers, different rules.  The "sale" pricing on the Stephanie Plum series was really strange, different prices for different books in no particular order.  But those prices were the same everywhere, so her publisher set those prices based on some logic known only to them.

You can look at the details of each book, it will tell you who published and who is the seller.  If it says published by Random House, Sold by Random House, then it's sold by Random House.  If it says published by Mira Books, Sold by B&N then it's a normal retail model and BN can set the price.

No one's lying, there doesn't have to be a logical or a discernible reason to us as to why some books in a series are lendable, others are not.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Tuffy13 wrote:

I also think its a bit fishy that Banes & Noble jacked up the ebook prices when Borders announced they were closing. I was in the process of buying all of Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series because most were under  $5 but had to wait till payday this was on a Monday, by Thursday they were all $7.99-14.99 whewww I was mad. I chose to by the nook because I had to drive an hour to the nearest book store and that was irritating.  

But it's NOT fishy that the Kindle prices are exactly the same as Nook for the Stephanie Plum series?

Okay...

Contributor
Tuffy13
0 Kudos

Well here's the thing, Kindle also had them at a discounted rate at the same time. And also I don't give a big crapola about Kindle. I HAVE A NOOK. Can I buy ebooks off Amazon for my NOOK.....no! That would be nice because Kindle has a lot of freebies that Barnes does not (AND vice versa). I just thought it odd that the prices were down for a length of time then the same week the announcement of Borders closing and they went up not only on that series but others' too. Just sayin'     

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Tuffy13 wrote:

Well here's the thing, Kindle also had them at a discounted rate at the same time. And also I don't give a big crapola about Kindle. I HAVE A NOOK. Can I buy ebooks off Amazon for my NOOK.....no! That would be nice because Kindle has a lot of freebies that Barnes does not (AND vice versa). I just thought it odd that the prices were down for a length of time then the same week the announcement of Borders closing and they went up not only on that series but others' too. Just sayin'     

I don't the think they went up per se, I believe they were on sale and returned to their original price.  Since the publishers sets the price on those books, I doubt it and anything to do with Borders closing.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Tuffy13 wrote:

Usually every free book on Amazon becomes free as an epub somewhere else.

Frequent Contributor
SeaFractor

Here's an example that contrasts with Hulu to help explain.

1.  Hulu streams large number of shows to the PC via Web.

2.  Hulu Plus allows streaming to TV devices (Roku 2, etc), but a large number say that the rights still only allow streaming to the Web only at this time.

Hulu users are pretty upset (myself included), but the explaination is that Hulu negotiated contracts before Hulu Plus that only requested the rights to stream to the Web browsers on PC's.    Once Hulu Plus was released, the content providers notified Hulu that their agreement didn't cover the new fuctions and started to negotiate.    Now a large number will stream to TV devices like the Roku, but a huge number still don't.

I suspect that BN has to go back and renegotiate for each epub to have the lend feature added.   Newer titles,or those on special may have these, where some titles in between just hadn't been addressed yet.

Of course this is all speculation, but it makes sense.     So until the publishers retag each epub provided for sale, you'll see titles without lend me in an inconsistant maner.

New User
brambleclaw101
0 Kudos

Yeah but for people who read mostly 3 or 4 authors who did not agree to the lending it is basically worthless. Because then every book that author writes in no lendable.

Reader 4
BiowomanKB
0 Kudos

I try lending a lendable book and it isnt downloadable by the other party who has a nook ap on an ipad. So that reduces the number of 173 to 0. Ihave contacted the service and they send out automated answers that do not address the problem. Very frustrating.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Very simple answer for why some books in a series are lendable.

It's so you can hook your friends on to the series.

To be more clear.

Publishers don't want that you tell a friend - Look this series of 8 books is amazing. Here are all 8.

They earn nothing.

They want you to tell a friend - This series is amazing. Here is book 2 and 4.

And then you friend has to buy the remaining 6.

New User
jbh16
0 Kudos

yeah it actually does make the feature worthless. my friend and I bought nooks together because we both read the same kind of books and the only reason we got the nook instead of kindle was for this share feature and after two years we have only been able to share one book with each other.. its ridiculous they even advertise this feature. I am selling my nook on craigslist and buying a kindle

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Kindle has the same rules on lending. It's based on whether the publisher allows it. However, you can easily share between Nooks by sideloading, which you cannot do on a Kindle. You just have to download the file to your PC and copy it to your friend's Nook with the USB cable. Then when you first open it, it will ask for the code to unlock it. Type in the credit card number from your account once ( your friend never needs to know what it is, and can't access it) and it will unlock that book and all future books copied from your account.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

jbh16 wrote:

yeah it actually does make the feature worthless.

No, no it doesn't.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good point MacMcK.

I've been checking the Kindle Forums lately and there are very similar patterns in complaints. And there are also users with the 'I'm selling my Kindle, buying an iPad/Samsung/Android/Nook' response.

The most fascinating part is where you'll sometimes see a complaint thread that looks like it's a clone of something here at the Nook Forums.

It seems that

1) Lots of people buy Nooks and Kindles assuming it's Android through and through.

2) Lots of people buy Nooks and Kindles assuming it's EXACTLY like iPad except just half the price.