Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

OC kernel for the NST and NSTG available

Super cool, someone's put together a kernel that supports clocking the NST and NSTG at 1 ghz. 

The kernel is compiled with what's reportedly a very good set of tools, almost certainly better-performing tools than those available for the stock BN kernel, and bundled with a very simple CPU control utility which lets you dial the kernel back to 800 mhz if you want only the Linaro optimization but not the OC.  You can also use a more-responsive frequency governor if you choose to.

Installing the kernel is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced, but I suspect that once the testing is done the dev will give permission for it to be included in the various nooter packages.  

Check it out at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1906507

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro

Re: OC kernel for the NST and NSTG available

I wasn't overly interested when the thread 1st started out, as performance hasn't been a problem for my NST, given what I use it for. I am, however, impressed with the video mode enhancements and multitouch that are being included along with the faster speeds.

This is yet another example of why companies should embrace the developer community rather than try (futilely) to lock them out. I wonder how many of the long-standing B&N bugs would be fixed in short order if they'd release the source code to this crowd.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I had a chance to install Guevor's enhanced kernel and display enhancments last night, and it does work as advertised. The "smooth scrolling" video mode is not as clear as normal, so it's something you'll want to bind to a button to easily turn on and off, but it does work as shown in the video.

As with most of the kernel tweaks released over on XDA, battery consumption doesn't appear to be a problem. After roughly 9 hours of light use, examining CPU usage with CPU Spy, my NST spent 89% of the time in deep sleep, which means the boost isn't eating up battery as the device idles. It also only hits 1 GHz when needed, spendingmore time at 300 or 600 MHz.

The NST does seem snappier, but that really wasn't a problem before.

roustabout
0 Kudos

For me, the fast refresh display is more a curiosity than anything else, at least so far it seems enough more annoying to read that I'm unlikely to use it.

The ability to choose a more responsive cpu governor, however, is really helpful.  It looks as if the device uses conservative by default, and putting it into ondemand seems to make it snappier.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I've got a couple of questions, please forgive my ingorance I'm trying to get a handle on the whole tweaking NST/G devices.  So far I've had only good experiences, though I have used a very simplistic tool to root my NSTG. 

1) Is this a root method as well, or just a tweak to the Nook?  I imagine it's the former.

2) I gather this could be installed with the Clockwork tool? 

3) Does this work with the 1.2.1 update, or is the 1.2.1 update even relevant to what this does?

4) Have you noticed any appreciable speed increases in opening books, or is the CPU boost only realy noticable when using the NST/G for things other than it was originally intended, i.e. animated games, better web browsing, and video?

5) Given that I really only plan to use my NSTG as a reader, with the ability to use the Goodreads app do you think it's something I should investigate, or am I pretty much getting the most out of the Nook system for what I want that I can (if that makes sense). 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

I've got a couple of questions, please forgive my ingorance I'm trying to get a handle on the whole tweaking NST/G devices.  So far I've had only good experiences, though I have used a very simplistic tool to root my NSTG. 

1) Is this a root method as well, or just a tweak to the Nook?  I imagine it's the former.

It's a tweak, though I believe you need to be able to run the fastmode toggle tool with root permissions. It is a kernel replacement with several enhancements, so a perk to the lowest-level software running on your device.

2) I gather this could be installed with the Clockwork tool? 

Yes.

3) Does this work with the 1.2.1 update, or is the 1.2.1 update even relevant to what this does?

The last post I find from Guevor (90) indicated he was going to test on 1.2, but I didn't see a followup. Many people report success on the NSTG, but most seem to be on 1.1.5.  I am still on 1.1.2 myself on both NST devices. Be sure the read through the XDA posts until you're quite comfortable that it'll work for you before applying. Be wary of old posts and reading too much into them. The devs on XDA are good about updating what they have tested WILL work. If you don't see your configuration listed, assume it WON'T to avoid headaches. ALWAYS make a good backup before applying anything like this!

4) Have you noticed any appreciable speed increases in opening books, or is the CPU boost only realy noticable when using the NST/G for things other than it was originally intended, i.e. animated games, better web browsing, and video?

My NST felt subjectively smoother. It's a neat hack, and if you need it, it works very well. I just don't notice a lot difference with or without it. I still find browsing less than enjoyable, even with fastmode and/or multitouch enabled. Of course, this is no fault of Guevor's work.

5) Given that I really only plan to use my NSTG as a reader, with the ability to use the Goodreads app do you think it's something I should investigate, or am I pretty much getting the most out of the Nook system for what I want that I can (if that makes sense). 

I'd put this in the "worthwhile if you enjoy playing with the device as much, or more, than actually using it to read" category. It won't hurt, might help a bit, but probably won't change your basic reading usage much at all.

That said, it's an impressive bit of work, squeezing even more out of this underhorsed device.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Thanks for the fast and informative response Bobstro.  I think I'll hold off on mucking around with it, since it seems I would get little to no appreciable performance boost for what I intend to use my NSTG. 

I hope others who want more from their NST/Gs find this helpful as well.  It does seem to really show what the NST/G devices are capable of if you get the software tweaked. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.