Reply
New User
picodeira
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-13-2012

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

PLease can you put a PINTEREST app. 

Contributor
GwenMalfoy
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-15-2012

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

Plants vs Zombies

Imdb

Sketchbook (Or something like this I would love it)

Fruit Ninja

Peggle

Chuzzle

 

I would just love to seem more apps in general and some quality free apps.

As well as updates on current apps in a timely matter still waiting on my Angry Birds seasons update from a month ago.

 

Please keep working on the app store I love my Nook and I just want to see more choices

New User
drbob524
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-20-2012

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

please get 'MLB at bat' app, that is the only app that is not on the Nook that I really wish was available.

Reader 4
1love2r3ad
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

My wishlist:

 

Google Reader

Read It Later

Goodreads

Mint

Wikipedia

The Weather Channel

Facebook

USA Today

New York Times

& many more apps ...

 

If only Nook Tablet users have access to the Android Market ...

 

 


 

BN has a lot of catching up to do if it wants to maintain the loyalty of its tablet users.

Correspondent
MuseK
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎03-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

I agree we need more apps but it does make we wonder when posters podt thier wish list of apps and the spps are already on the nook example goodread and magazines.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎11-24-2011

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread


MuseK wrote:
I agree we need more apps but it does make we wonder when posters podt thier wish list of apps and the spps are already on the nook example goodread and magazines.

I have a short wishlist: Crunchyroll anime streaming app, Funimation anime streaming app when they release it, the Crackle streaming app, OpenIntent file manager, and the SB Nation sports forum app. And the SB nation sports forum app is a like to have rather than a must have ~ I could get by at the SB Nation blogs with the stock browser if it came to that.

 

If they had the first three on the B&N app store for the NT, then combined with the Nook Comic and cbz comic reading support they already have built in, the Nook Tablet would be the hands down choice for people who want an anime/manga tablet without dropping a $500 tribute into the jaws of the Apple monster.

 

New User
GojiraNeko
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-29-2012
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

GOOGLE MUSIC!!!!!

GOOGLE READER!!!

chrome browser

Read It Later

 

sites that you can access via a browser, but an app that formats it for the tablet is nicer:

drudgereport app

google docs

google + 

Wikipedia

The Weather Channel

Facebook

access to android market wouod be wonderful, but i know it isnt going to happen... that being said, either enable the ability for us to sideload apps that you wont give us access to, though theyre clearly desierable... or put the apps in your store

i understand the point of having some sort of quality control on the apps... trust me, i appreciate quality over quantity... especially when i can be assured that the apps will actually work on my nook... but google music and google reader are avaialble on EVERY android device EXCEPT the nook. i cant speak for other people, but i and a lot of people i know use google music and google reader... having to switch my music to some other service when i already have one is ridiculous 

 

 

Reader
snowsweety
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-16-2012

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

It would be nice to have a search option within this discussion thread to add laurels. Many greal ideas are not emphasized because it is too time consumig too read through all posts. I did try a search but did not end up with any hits. We need an app for pininterst.
Contributor
DebAMI
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎02-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

I'm waiting for Pinterest and CNN!!!

Reader
momopanda07
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-11-2011

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

I would appreciate if you added; The Chive app , its on both android and itunes Highlighting Japan magazine The Weather Channel And more games that are not just for 5yr olds.
New User
m17a1
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-24-2012
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

I would like the Aftermath app that worked on my Nook Color to work on my Nook Tablet. Also, Bookworm.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

Adobe Ideas!
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,572
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

I have a meta-suggestion around apps, after reading the thread discussing Julie, the hypothetical target demographic for the Nook app store:

 

Conduct a survey of BN's employees, or of BN's customers, asking them to vote, on a scale of 1 to 5, on whether they agree strongly, agree somehwat, are neutral, disagree somewhat or disagree strongly with the following statement:

 

BN recruits app development on the Nook platform to interest women, emphasizing fashion, food, health, fitness and travel to the exclusion of most other areas aside from games and child-centric apps.  Do we have have a good understanding of what does not interest women? 

 

I think BN might be surprised in the results of that survey. 

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Julie-The-Average-Nook-Owner/td-p/1313019


"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
McWarren
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎10-25-2009

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

Overdrive Media Console

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread


roustabout wrote:

I have a meta-suggestion around apps, after reading the thread discussing Julie, the hypothetical target demographic for the Nook app store:

 

Conduct a survey of BN's employees, or of BN's customers, asking them to vote, on a scale of 1 to 5, on whether they agree strongly, agree somehwat, are neutral, disagree somewhat or disagree strongly with the following statement:

 

BN recruits app development on the Nook platform to interest women, emphasizing fashion, food, health, fitness and travel to the exclusion of most other areas aside from games and child-centric apps.  Do we have have a good understanding of what does not interest women? 

 

I think BN might be surprised in the results of that survey. 

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Julie-The-Average-Nook-Owner/td-p/1313019



So, after reading the linked article, it's clear to me that the reason the B&N app store is so underwhelming, IMHO, compared to the Google Play store or Amazon app store, is because B&N feels that the 30% of the nook sales demographic that I belong to (... meaning men), are not their target demographic and so, aside from games, I have little chance of finding any apps that would appeal to me (being a man, that is).  I think if I were a woman, I might find that statement equally offensive as I do being a man. 

 

I guess I'm surprised by their viewpoint because I always thought of the nook as a pretty unisex device, appealing to both men and women equally.  I know (and work with) a lot of women who are very tech savy, and I agree with roustabout, I think B&N would be surprised by the results of a survey like he suggests.  As for me, I never saw the nook as a gender specific device.

 

Oh well, they must know what they're doing.  It just comes as a surprise to me that their target customers are not "readers" in general...

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,423
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread


Czechboy wrote:

So, after reading the linked article, it's clear to me that the reason the B&N app store is so underwhelming, IMHO, compared to the Google Play store or Amazon app store, is because B&N feels that the 30% of the nook sales demographic that I belong to (... meaning men), are not their target demographic and so, aside from games, I have little chance of finding any apps that would appeal to me (being a man, that is).  I think if I were a woman, I might find that statement equally offensive as I do being a man. 

 

I guess I'm surprised by their viewpoint because I always thought of the nook as a pretty unisex device, appealing to both men and women equally.  I know (and work with) a lot of women who are very tech savy, and I agree with roustabout, I think B&N would be surprised by the results of a survey like he suggests.  As for me, I never saw the nook as a gender specific device.

 

Oh well, they must know what they're doing.  It just comes as a surprise to me that their target customers are not "readers" in general...


 

I'm not sure I interpreted the article the same way as you did. The way I read it, B&N has conducted market research and discovered that 70% of their NOOK customers fit into a specific demographic. They never said that it was a specific target demo, but it reflects a reality that they must deal with. Shame on them if they were to ignore such an important demo in favor of a smaller group that would probably result in reduced sales.

 

Certainly, B&N would prefer that the NOOK and its apps might appeal to ALL demographics, but if their research shows them that the largest market segment fits a specific demo that they have tagged "Julie," then they are obligated to provide a higher priority to applications development for that group. That does not, in any way, mean that they will ignore other demographics. That would be foolish. The NT is still a relatively new product, and B&N is still a relatively new player in this game. Give them a little more time and let's see what happens.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

Agreed. That is how I read the article as well. It's not to say that they are looking to limit their market to a specific demographic (which is obvious when you consider that they include an emphasis on niches like comics and manga, business periodicals, technology periodicals as well), but they are stating the reality of their market research, the demographic that is buying the nook... On fact, I'd venture to say that is already the real works demographic of the book reading demographic that they operate in for physical books, so it would be a mistake not to seek to capture as much of that demographic as possible with their reader centric tablet offering... By contrast, the techie demographic, I would venture to speculate already owns iPads or other android tablets and has less potential for growth. This is not to say they are not seeking to build a device that works for that market segment as well... The next market segment they are clearly targeting as well is students and educators...
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread


deesy58 wrote:

Czechboy wrote:

So, after reading the linked article, it's clear to me that the reason the B&N app store is so underwhelming, IMHO, compared to the Google Play store or Amazon app store, is because B&N feels that the 30% of the nook sales demographic that I belong to (... meaning men), are not their target demographic and so, aside from games, I have little chance of finding any apps that would appeal to me (being a man, that is).  I think if I were a woman, I might find that statement equally offensive as I do being a man. 

 

I guess I'm surprised by their viewpoint because I always thought of the nook as a pretty unisex device, appealing to both men and women equally.  I know (and work with) a lot of women who are very tech savy, and I agree with roustabout, I think B&N would be surprised by the results of a survey like he suggests.  As for me, I never saw the nook as a gender specific device.

 

Oh well, they must know what they're doing.  It just comes as a surprise to me that their target customers are not "readers" in general...


 

I'm not sure I interpreted the article the same way as you did. The way I read it, B&N has conducted market research and discovered that 70% of their NOOK customers fit into a specific demographic. They never said that it was a specific target demo, but it reflects a reality that they must deal with. Shame on them if they were to ignore such an important demo in favor of a smaller group that would probably result in reduced sales.

 

Certainly, B&N would prefer that the NOOK and its apps might appeal to ALL demographics, but if their research shows them that the largest market segment fits a specific demo that they have tagged "Julie," then they are obligated to provide a higher priority to applications development for that group. That does not, in any way, mean that they will ignore other demographics. That would be foolish. The NT is still a relatively new product, and B&N is still a relatively new player in this game. Give them a little more time and let's see what happens.


Well, my post was a response to roustabouts post about how many actual customers would agree with the B&N statement that he quoted.  It really doesn't matter to me either way what their data turned out to be, and I'm not trying to dispute it.  I bought the device because I thought it was a great piece of hardware (and I'm not disappointed with it).  But the app store certainly reflects what their demographic studies indicate, and rightly so.  It was a comment on the app store's lack of diversity.  I guess my post didn't come out as clear as I hoped.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Wordsmith
TnTexas
Posts: 882
Registered: ‎10-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

Czechboy: Oh well, they must know what they're doing.

 

I'd say that's debatable. 

 

***************************************************************

 

dessy58: Certainly, B&N would prefer that the NOOK and its apps might appeal to ALL demographics, but if their research shows them that the largest market segment fits a specific demo that they have tagged "Julie," then they are obligated to provide a higher priority to applications development for that group. That does not, in any way, mean that they will ignore other demographics. That would be foolish. The NT is still a relatively new product, and B&N is still a relatively new player in this game. Give them a little more time and let's see what happens.

 

The Tablet may have only been around for a few months, but it all started with the Nook Color. That's been around for over a year now - maybe a year and a half. Sorry; today's market forces don't usually allow that much time for finding your footing. You come in knowing what you're doing or you learn it very quickly - otherwise, you drown.

 

I totally understand studying your custormer base, but I think B&N has seriously misjudged exactly who "Julie" is, how comfortable she is with technology, and what she wants. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,423
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread


Czechboy wrote:

Well, my post was a response to roustabouts post about how many actual customers would agree with the B&N statement that he quoted.  It really doesn't matter to me either way what their data turned out to be, and I'm not trying to dispute it.  I bought the device because I thought it was a great piece of hardware (and I'm not disappointed with it).  But the app store certainly reflects what their demographic studies indicate, and rightly so.  It was a comment on the app store's lack of diversity.  I guess my post didn't come out as clear as I hoped.


We are in agreement about not being disappointed in the product.  I guess I must have missed your point, but I know from experience that the largest, most important market segments will receive the most attention, in most firms.  If B&N's market research identifies a specific demographic that accounts for a large share of their app sales, then they would be foolish to ignore that demo.  The fact that they might have prioritized their app development effort does not lead me to believe that they are ignoring other demos.  To the contrary, I believe that the apps that I think most about, and would like to see, will someday become available, along with apps that I do not think about, but might like when I see them.