Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

TnTexas wrote:

Czechboy: Oh well, they must know what they're doing.

I'd say that's debatable. 

dessy58: Certainly, B&N would prefer that the NOOK and its apps might appeal to ALL demographics, but if their research shows them that the largest market segment fits a specific demo that they have tagged "Julie," then they are obligated to provide a higher priority to applications development for that group. That does not, in any way, mean that they will ignore other demographics. That would be foolish. The NT is still a relatively new product, and B&N is still a relatively new player in this game. Give them a little more time and let's see what happens.

The Tablet may have only been around for a few months, but it all started with the Nook Color. That's been around for over a year now - maybe a year and a half. Sorry; today's market forces don't usually allow that much time for finding your footing. You come in knowing what you're doing or you learn it very quickly - otherwise, you drown.

I totally understand studying your custormer base, but I think B&N has seriously misjudged exactly who "Julie" is, how comfortable she is with technology, and what she wants. 

Implicit in your post is the assumption that B&N has not done their marketing "homework."  If the company says that their research shows them that a specific demographic is more likely to purchase apps for NOOK products than other demographics, what specific information do we possess that might dispute them? 

New User
SinisterKid

Comixology App Please!  (Allow In-App Purchases!)

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I don't know if it's already there, however, I'd appreciate the incorporation of the Weather Channel app.

Lector GS
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Here would be a killer peripheral: a bluetooth camera / pen / stylus for the nook tablet. Something that would be useful to carry with a nook anyway but add in a mini bluetooth camera on the end of it. Then get photo functionality and apps... instagram etc.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

I really hope the nook embraces a couple niches... the design community and students... give us real sketching programs like sketchbook pro, adobe ideas, paper, idraw, etc. These would have a broad appeal, to all demographics simply in that the apps add functionality to the device- it becomes a sketchpad as much as a book... There ought to be a stock drawing program that comes preloaded on the nook even... without this, the nook tablet is not meeting its potential as an alternative to the iPad for a chunk of the market that needs tgat fubctionality...
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Here's my two suggestions.

Angry BIrds Backup

Fruit Ninja

Reader 4
SirIvanhoe
0 Kudos

As a chess player, I'd like the apps for Chess.com and ICC (Internet Chess Server). Being able to play chess online at these 2 most popular sites would make my Nook Tablet just about perfect!

Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

Draw Something

New User
jefft76
0 Kudos

I say touch base with Gameloft to increase the amount of games available.  Really missing good RPG games like Dungeon Hunter.  Also...wait for it...INFINITY BLADE 1 & 2!

Contributor
rocky1234

b and n - here is the best way to make great apps available to your users - stop crippling the device, open up to the android market (google play) - then we do not have to play this game of wishing and hoping -

specifics for me -

paypal, firefox, sonos, avs, facebook, pintrest -kindle ( i love my kindle reader due to the screen but graphic books would be great - amazon has better customer service in reagrd to its electronic products and return policies).

currently b and n apps are silly trinkets that have no productive value -

and where is bluetooth...

i wish the nook tablet was marketed correctly so that i could have saved my money -

New User
gc999
0 Kudos

A good music player (the included one is buggy, too limited in functionality and distorts album art when it even shows it).     You could just improve the existing one.

Logitech Squeezebox remote control app (already exists for Android).

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

This would be a cool one...

http://www.westerosmap.com/

Set of maps that go along with the Song of Ice and Fire series.  Looks pretty interesting.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Contributor
Hooshe

The Comixology app, pleeeeze! 

http://www.comixology.com/

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Hooshe wrote:

This is actually a result of comixology refusing to port their app until BN allows in-app purchases. There's been a continual push to get them on here nonetheless, add your voice and email them directly.

Contributor
wolfpackee1990
0 Kudos

My review of the Nook Tablet is a complete contradiction.  There are things I absolutely LOVE about it and things that I hate.  The size is perfect and exactly what I wanted and why I didn't buy an iPad.  I love reading a book on it, having my calendar, my task list, my contacts, my email and the web on it.  But the lack of applications is the biggest disappointment.  And the apps that are there are not very good.  On the iPad you can easily select a word or a line and delete it or copy it, but this is impossible on the Nook.  I have QuickOffice and it has serious problems, most signficantly forcing a close about 1/2 the time.  And I have yet to figure out how to select multiple rows in Excel.  I haven't used the Word function yet so I can't talk to that.  And how hard is it to offer a calendar/contacts/task function that all work together.  Why do I have to put a birthday in the Contacts Plus app and then again in Calendar so I can have it show up on my calendar.  The Fliq Calendar app is pretty good and I use it sufficiently, but it's lacking a lot of features that most basic calendars have like "End Date" for a repeating function, or the ability to select which days to repeat - like Monday/Wednesday/Friday.  You have to enter it 3 times to do that.  I think it's impossible to list what apps would be great to have as everyone has different needs (I'd like a volleyball scoring app - not just score but player stats).  I wish the Android market apps were available to the Nook as most of the apps everyone wants are out there just not available to Nook owners.  It's extremely limiting and difficult to call it a tablet and compare it to something as functional as the iPad.  The size of it and the price point are the 2 biggest features it has.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

wolfpackee1990 wrote:

My review of the Nook Tablet is a complete contradiction.  There are things I absolutely LOVE about it and things that I hate.  The size is perfect and exactly what I wanted and why I didn't buy an iPad.  I love reading a book on it, having my calendar, my task list, my contacts, my email and the web on it.  But the lack of applications is the biggest disappointment.  And the apps that are there are not very good.  On the iPad you can easily select a word or a line and delete it or copy it, but this is impossible on the Nook.  I have QuickOffice and it has serious problems, most signficantly forcing a close about 1/2 the time.  And I have yet to figure out how to select multiple rows in Excel.  I haven't used the Word function yet so I can't talk to that.  And how hard is it to offer a calendar/contacts/task function that all work together.  Why do I have to put a birthday in the Contacts Plus app and then again in Calendar so I can have it show up on my calendar.  The Fliq Calendar app is pretty good and I use it sufficiently, but it's lacking a lot of features that most basic calendars have like "End Date" for a repeating function, or the ability to select which days to repeat - like Monday/Wednesday/Friday.  You have to enter it 3 times to do that.  I think it's impossible to list what apps would be great to have as everyone has different needs (I'd like a volleyball scoring app - not just score but player stats).  I wish the Android market apps were available to the Nook as most of the apps everyone wants are out there just not available to Nook owners.  It's extremely limiting and difficult to call it a tablet and compare it to something as functional as the iPad.  The size of it and the price point are the 2 biggest features it has.

If you get something like the Android For Nook SD card, you'll have all the things you say you wish for, and can use the Google Play Store (that's what the Android Market is now called) and get all of those apps that are available there but not from B&N.  And you can still use the NT in native mode.  It's the best of both worlds IMHO. 

Contributor
Hooshe
0 Kudos

A Spotify app would be fantastic. 

New User
SinisterKid
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Hooshe wrote:

This is actually a result of comixology refusing to port their app until BN allows in-app purchases. There's been a continual push to get them on here nonetheless, add your voice and email them directly.

Hear hear!

Reader
NookGuyCA

HBO go for sure. Also how about Max Go and UltraViolet digital movie downloads. History has shown that companies who try to maintain proprietary systems eventually lose their markets. Open up the Nook OS and embrace the evolution of digital streaming.

New User
SinisterKid

Oh ... and Firefox would be great too!