Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

I would love to see the Fing app come to B&N.  It's a network information viewer.  It shows all the devices connected to your network, IP addresses of each, network name of each, etc..

Any network app would be welcome really, but I've used and like this one in particular.  It has a really nice used interface and gives you a lot of good information about your network.

http://www.overlooksoft.com/

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Czechboy wrote:

I would love to see the Fing app come to B&N.  It's a network information viewer.  It shows all the devices connected to your network, IP addresses of each, network name of each, etc..

Any network app would be welcome really, but I've used and like this one in particular.  It has a really nice used interface and gives you a lot of good information about your network.

http://www.overlooksoft.com/

I like the look of it.  Unfortunately, I run a class B network, and it was really quick to find devices in the first 1024 IP addresses, but then took 20 minutes to scan the rest of the network, finding no additional devices (there were several).  Hopefully, a bug that will be fixed soon.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
New User
ColorTheory

Games:smileyvery-happy:raw something,Temple Run, Solar Walk, Hulu (Ik itsnot an gam3) I WILL DO LOTS OF THING$ so this group of apps come out -Colors
Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I am not quite sure if this idea has been posted before.  It would be a very useful service for all of us, if someone from B&N listed all the new apps that have been uploaded to the system.  This can be done on Fridays, because it is my understanding that new apps are uploaded on Thursdays.  They have a section on the store that says "What's new in apps" which I think is not very helpful because they are all mixed up. 

Thanks!

Lector GS
New User
itox
0 Kudos

Quick question. How will NookStudy work? What are your ideas around this application?  I am a developer and interested in developing the app.  I just need more info on it, please.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

magadistudio
Contributor
Hooshe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did contact Comixology, but the response was pretty vague. Something to the effect of always wanting to move to platforms with great devices and active consumers. Well, you never know..:smileyindifferent:

New User
Ramble
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Being a developer I may be biased, but I would like to see more games in general from Indie Developers and it would be nice to have a way to feature them :smileyhappy:   Some of my favorite games come from little known studios. Speaking from experience, I know how hard it is for them to get the word out, but there are a lot of gems out there.

Contributor
Cerunan
0 Kudos

I just got the nook tablet.  There are 3 apps I'm suprised are not available:

1. Skydrive (seriously 25 Gb of storage for free and I'd have to root my nook to get to it?) this is a free android app

2. Onenote - another free android app that syncs notebooks across PCs and tablets

3. Facebook

New User
AvidReadingGirl

[ Edited ]

I was given a Nook Tablet for my birthday in February.  I've been reading on it, surfing, etc.

Yesterday, I was given a Kindle Fire for my job. 

The biggest differences I see?  I think the Nook's browser needs to have an update that adds tabbed browsing and a more efficient way of minimizing when one wants to go on to another task or read a new article in a seperate link.  I know that the browser opens up another window, but I've got NO clue how to toggle effectively between the two.

So far, that's the only difference I see in the two that I think is for the best.  Nook, if you update the browser so it's more user-friendly, I think you'll have it made!

Also:  1.  free apps?  What are those?  (Kindle has a ton).  2.  It would be grand if there were a way to download my public library books onto my Nook.  Again, Kindle has Nook beat on this one.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

AvidReadingGirl wrote:

I was given a Nook Tablet for my birthday in February.  I've been reading on it, surfing, etc.

Yesterday, I was given a Kindle Fire for my job. 

The biggest differences I see?  I think the Nook's browser needs to have an update that adds tabbed browsing and a more efficient way of minimizing when one wants to go on to another task or read a new article in a seperate link.  I know that the browser opens up another window, but I've got NO clue how to toggle effectively between the two.

So far, that's the only difference I see in the two that I think is for the best.  Nook, if you update the browser so it's more user-friendly, I think you'll have it made!

Also:  1.  free apps?  What are those?  (Kindle has a ton).  2.  It would be grand if there were a way to download my public library books onto my Nook.  Again, Kindle has Nook beat on this one.

If your looking for tabbed browsing, download the Dolphin Browser.  So far it's the best Android based browser I've used.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
jelabarre59

The *MOST* important app would be a utility which unlocks sideloading and allows me to configure the device to fit ***MY*** needs (since B&N doesn't provide the majority of apps I've needed).  Would be a good start at undoing the damage caused by the 1.4.1+ firmware updtes.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

A GetJar market app.

GetJar is one of the more popular third party app stores. It is a cross-platform app store that specializes in free apps.

The GetJar market app could be organized as a two step app, so tapping the app opens up the app drawer containing the apps downloaded from GetJar, while at the top of the display is the access into the GetJar app.

Examples of apps that I would download using the GetJar app if it was made available include: Crunchyroll anime video streaming, Crackle TV, Movies and anime streaming, Operate File Manager, and Classic Notes with App Box Lite.

The GetJar app itself is fairly lightweight. Since all of the apps in GetJar are free, it doesn't require a payments system in the app.

New User
SarahConnolly
0 Kudos

I am really hoping that B&N can bring the "iheartradio" app to the Nook Tablet!! It is my favorite app from Apple and I know it is on the Android market now. I was disappointed that it wasn't available on the Nook yet! Also, the Weather Channel app would be great too! Thanks!

Reader 4
Alimae
0 Kudos

The Weight Watchers mobile app and the points calculator.

Reader 4
b3rt0h
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Correspondent
Karen973

Draw something temple run
Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Correspondent
Karen973
0 Kudos

Fruit Ninja Nin jump
-Karen
Correspondent
Karen973

*Draw Something

*Temple Run

* Fruit Ninja

*Nin Jump

*Action Potato

*Water Slide

*The Appause Button

*Stupid

*Mini Piano

*Bounce Down

-Karen
Reader
Undead_Spartan

Ok first off I have to say your app store leaves alot to be desired. There are a ton of basic free apps that you do not have. I know some of these may have been stated before but I didn't read all the replies. So I'll brake this down into catagories. Some of these apps are not free and will be marked.

Social Networking

1) Facebook, lets face it it's free and I don't know about anyone else but friendcaster does not compare to the official app at all.

2) Myspace, I don't use it but i'm sure somewhere in the backwaters of the internet someone still does.

3) Tagged, Again free and popular app.

Office Apps

1) Documents To Go, (Free & Not Free) Great app I was first introduced to when I managed the Palm retail store in Bethesda,MD. Yeah the company has been making this app for that long (10+ years) and it works great I got it on my phone from the Amazon market.

Utilities

1) FuelLog, (Free & Not Free) Great program for tracking MPG and other vehicle cost.

2) RetroActive, (Free & Not Free) Personal Journal and a great one at that.

3) Any VNC/Remote desktop app, (Free & Not Free) I have both Ubuntu and Win7 desktops that I have to remote into sometimes and would rather use my tablet than my laptop.

4) Google Play, (Should Have Been Included) Look I understand B&N needs to turn a profit off the tablets you are making but you really are dropping the ball on your market. Does Google have an API you can use to populate your market with the free apps? Maybe you can just have an employee or 2 spend all day everyday download free apps and populating your market with them including the updates when they come out.

Keyboards

1) Graffiti(R) Pro for Android, (Not Free) I was along time palm os guy and again I have this on my phone and while it is not as intuitive as the Graffiti2 they were using before they went webos it works great.

2) Go Keyboard, (Free) great app from the same crew who make Go SMS, Go Launcher, Go Contacts and a host of other apps. Hire them to make a contact app for you that doesn't suck.

Web Brower

1) Firefox, (Free) A good tabbed browser

2) Opera, (Free) Another good tabbed browser

3) Chrome, (Free) Have no Idea why google didn't get this thing working on droid sooner but also a good tabbed browser.

Music

1) iHeartradio, (Free) I just got into this and I love there service I can listen to Big 100.3 and DC101 anywhere I am. Get this.

2) Last.fm, (free) I don't like this as much as the one above but it is good and also avalible on everyother android device out there.

Misc

1) Skydrive, (Free) 25gb of cloud storage sure does kick dropbox's behind...

2) Google Calendar, (free) You should have gotten this with the android sourcecode you used when building the droid powered Nook's

3) Google Contacts, (Free) see above and anything is better than the built in contact app, it show's 10 of my contacts I have 175 in my google account all with email pic and numbers...

4) Enhanced Email, (Not free) Made by Quantum Solutions, not earth shatering but nice midlevel email client.

5) Pocket Informant, (Not Free) Awsome calendar and todo list app.

6) Astrid, (Free) Very nice todo list app (syncs with google)

I do hope you didn't kill yourself before you got to the end. I just want to let you know one more thing. Every single one of these apps runs without a hitch on the Nook Tablet 16gb and I bet the same holds true for the other droid based Nooks. you have an amazing entrylevel tablet that due to your app store has less functionality than the $80.00 Coby tablet my co-worker bought... I really hope the market improves as i feel it is the only thing keeping the Nook from destroying the Kindle Fire.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Undead_Spartan wrote:

Maybe you can just have an employee or 2 spend all day everyday download free apps and populating your market with them including the updates when they come out.

You do know that's something called "illegal" right?