Reader
Undead_Spartan
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread

flyingtoastr wrote:

Undead_Spartan wrote:

Maybe you can just have an employee or 2 spend all day everyday download free apps and populating your market with them including the updates when they come out.

You do know that's something called "illegal" right?

Really? I figured that for the free apps it would be legal, I guess that option is out of the window then. I'll just have to go beg the developers whos apps I like to port them to the nook market then...

Correspondent
Karen973
0 Kudos

why would that be illegal if they had a specific job for apps

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Reader
Undead_Spartan
0 Kudos

Adelynn wrote:

why would that be illegal if they had a specific job for apps

it is likely due to licensing or possible copyright issues. I still think it is a good Idea though. On a side note I did email each developer I listed in my long rambling post and one of them actually emailed me back (Developer of Retroactive) and said they would look into releasing on the Nook Market. So I have to say to everyone if there is an app you like or want on the market email the developers though the google market, if enough people send them messages I'm sure some will release for the Nook.

Correspondent
Karen973

good idea

ive got another app to request

* Skype (i know theres a camera issue with that but see THE GREAT NOOK CAMERA DEBATE and youll see the fix to that)

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
New User
Loganville

Get DrawSomething. Its great. I would like to play on the nook. Thanks.
Contributor
Nedrick

HBO GO! I agree!
Correspondent
Scott-Michael

[ Edited ]

+1 for the HBO Go app.

Some people settle for less...
Reader
spike31
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread Comic Reading experiance compared to comixology and amazon

I have no argument against the material, except how Barnes & Noble views it on their nooks.  I bought a Nook to support my local physical bookstore and because it had few options the kindle didn't.  But how they display comics on their device doesn't work.The writing is small and hard to read, yes you can zoom in manually but shouldn't need to.  Nook Makers please download the kindle app and a sample of comics from amazon and you'll see that if you double click on their comic images it will enlarge a single panel to fill the screen and then follow the panels in order of the story action/dialog flow. You need to update your comics or you'll be left behind.  I know you can do it since independent comic like Archealogists of Shadows does something similar though it cant enlarge the image.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Re: OFFICIAL NOOK Apps Suggestion Thread Comic Reading experiance compared to comixology and amazon

spike31 wrote:

I have no argument against the material, except how Barnes & Noble views it on their nooks.  I bought a Nook to support my local physical bookstore and because it had few options the kindle didn't.  But how they display comics on their device doesn't work.The writing is small and hard to read, yes you can zoom in manually but shouldn't need to.  Nook Makers please download the kindle app and a sample of comics from amazon and you'll see that if you double click on their comic images it will enlarge a single panel to fill the screen and then follow the panels in order of the story action/dialog flow. You need to update your comics or you'll be left behind.  I know you can do it since independent comic like Archealogists of Shadows does something similar though it cant enlarge the image.

See: Software update 1.4.3

New User
wisecowboy2

This list is ridiculous. The nook has been around for almost a year and a half and you have only added a couple apps. Limiting apps is what killed Research In Motion. Well, actually the 2 CEO's made that decision. How can you not have social networks? 950 million people use social networks. How about Google..anything? Google/android enabled you to create this device and now you wont add them to your apps. The Kindle is kicking your butt, and I am ashamed to say I own a Nook now.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

wisecowboy2 wrote:
This list is ridiculous. The nook has been around for almost a year and a half and you have only added a couple apps. Limiting apps is what killed Research In Motion. Well, actually the 2 CEO's made that decision. How can you not have social networks? 950 million people use social networks. How about Google..anything? Google/android enabled you to create this device and now you wont add them to your apps. The Kindle is kicking your butt, and I am ashamed to say I own a Nook now.

Kindle doesn't have Google apps or "social networks" either, eh.

Don't let a little research get in the way of a good ranting, though!

Contributor
OHCholla
0 Kudos

How about Freegal.  It would make sense since the Nook has a music player and it is generally compatible with library services (yeah, yeah, even without an Overdrive app....)

I emailed the developers about a Freegal app for the Nook and got a nice reply about how they thought it was a good idea too and had already submitted one.  But apparently BN is not doing anything with it.  Anyone else interested?  Maybe get some popular votes in there to sway the decision-makers ;>)

Contributor
SuziRozi
0 Kudos

Kindle Fire just got the official HBO GO app. Makes me sad that I choose Nook Tab over the Kindle.
Suzi Rozi
New User
BM-Morf
0 Kudos

I would love to see either a new email app or a complete revamp of the current email app. It needs a beter UI and it would be nice to see the ability for the email to auto fit to the screen size and other basic abilities that you can find on any andriod based devices
New User
Wreaker
0 Kudos

Already added, you can specify a category after you search for something, and make it only show your: eBook, App, Music, etc.
New User
Wreaker
0 Kudos

There is a glitch in the NookColor and NookTablet. If you delete personal data off the Nook and it doesn't show space being recovered you need to take it to a BN store for a re-format. The partitioning done at updates doesn't work 100% of the time but the re-format does.
New User
Wreaker
0 Kudos

all you have to do is browse the "My Files" on your nook, and just tap on the .pdb you want to read, it will come right up. I ported a few .pdb books from my old Palm Pilot, they work great.
New User
Alleykitten

There are several apps I'd like to see on my Nook Tablet:

Spotify App (http://www.spotify.com)

Munchkin Level Counter (http://www.sjgames.com/apps/levelcounter/)

SongPop (http://songpop.fm/)

Draw Something (http://omgpop.com/drawsomething/)

Skype App (http://www.skype.com) - Even w/out a camera, I still like using Skype to chat and talk

HBO GO (http://www.hbogo.com/)

AT&T U-Verse App (http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/uverse-applications.jsp)

Facebook

Google - Gmail, Calendar, etc.

Firefox Browser

Pintrest

A .cdr comic reader

"Knitting Stash" or another knitting app

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Undead_Spartan wrote:

Does Google have an API you can use to populate your market with the free apps? Maybe you can just have an employee or 2 spend all day everyday download free apps and populating your market with them including the updates when they come out.

The distributor of the app has to upload it, unless its open source or public domain, and most apps are proprietary. B&N doesn't allow ad-supported apps in its app store, so a lot of free apps would not qualify because they rely on advertising for funding.

The quickest way to get a big increase in free apps without upsetting the system that B&N has already built would be to create a GetJar appstore app. It could be inside a self-contained 2GB loopback filesystem file, with the apps downloaded from GetJar all accessed from its own GetJar app drawer access from a single icon on the home page. Sell it for $3 and with the combined reach of the B&N app store and the GetJar app store, you have access to a much wider variety of apps.

Reader 2
MrsD1999

I would like to see My Fitness Pal and Where's My Perry.