Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

OT: Roku

Anyone here familiar with Roku streaming TV box?

I am canceling cable. I pay $52 a month and never watch it, I do DVD series and Netflix on the Wii.

I like the XS model cause it has ethernet connectivity.

Thanks
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: OT: Roku

Do you have it working on a NOOKcolor in some way?

roustabout

I've heard good things about Roku from a friend.  I use the WD TV live "plus" for this - Netflix, wired connection to my network (wifi via a usb port is optional) and you can hang a USB drive off of it if you choose to.  It will also play media stored on your computer, mine mostly talks to the synology box I keep files on. 

A big thing to look at with these is media format support - how well do they handle anything you might throw at them, especially subtitled stuff.  I've had the live plus for a few years now (2?  3?) and it's been bulletproof. 

I don't know if either WD or Roku supports Hulu Plus.  That might be a good thing to look for in a device you'd like to replace a cable feed with, and then it'd compete head to head against the Nook Tablet :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Do you have it working on a NOOKcolor in some way?

Not yet..I'll let you know

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67

There's no way to use it with a Nook but it's an awesome device. It has Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Video, Crackle and tons more. We have the XS and love it.

Contributor
Shome
0 Kudos

Roku and the nook can be consuming devices.  Roku has channels that act as applications to pull streaming content over the web.  The nook has a different set of applications.

One intersection for the two platforms would be if a nook application and a roku channel would be able to receive content streamed from a PC using a compatible PC program.  There are numerous supported and unsupported Roku channels for this need.  I am not aware of any that are also nook applications.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I just bought a Roku after Christmas. Wonderful new gadget!! I am hoping to get rid of a lot of our cable channels now and save a ton on our monthly bill. There are so many channels you can get of streaming content - the majority are free. Here is a list:

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

There is one connection between the Roku and NookColor - there is an app that lets you use your NC as a remote control for the Roku. So far, I don't see that it does much more than the regular remote that came with the Roku so I am not sure what the point is.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
mbratch

I have the prior generation Roku XD|S  and got rid of cable. Really works well for me. My NookColor is separate and I don't plan or want to hook it up to a TV. I will watch a video here and there on the NC though.:smileyhappy: I think people get too hung up on technology convergence. Reading a book on my TV doesn't appeal to me, nor does watching a movie on my NC unless it's out of necessity, like while traveling, etc.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies. Prob gonna get the Roku 2 XS and see how it goes.
roustabout
0 Kudos

I just looked, and WD has not delivered Angry Birds to the Live Plus platform yet.  Roku has AB and as we all know, it's not a tablet without Angry Birds.  So if it's going to be a viable Nook Color replacement, Roku it is :smileyhappy: 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

And they said the Samsung Galaxy Tab threads were off-topic! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

The Roku is not a tablet, it's a box to stream to a TV? I have one from the generation before the Angry birds one, and I love it. Actually, the NC can work together with the Roku. One example is when you are streaming online content with extra web and social media support ~ you can use the NC web browser for getting to that. The NC Netflix queue app (it's not the same as the Netflix app) gives more complete queue management (including disk). As noted above, they do different things, but can also sometimes cooperate.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Bruce, the Roku has angry birds.

It is, therefore, a tablet. 

Haven't you been following the conversation about "That Is Not a Tablet"  "Is So!!!!" over on nook tablet general?  :smileyhappy: 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Bruce, the Roku has angry birds.

It is, therefore, a tablet. 

Haven't you been following the conversation about "That Is Not a Tablet"  "Is So!!!!" over on nook tablet general?  :smileyhappy: 

Answer: Sorry, didn't realize it was a joke. I got a NC so I don't check into the NT forums. But, obviously, both the NC and the NT (and the Kindle Tablet for that matter) are media tablets, not tablet PCs, so that's a pointless argument that can go on forever. "Yes, it's a (media) tablet!" ... "No, it's not a tablet (PC)!"

phoneboy
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

And they said the Samsung Galaxy Tab threads were off-topic! :smileyhappy:

Thats what the OT in the thread title indicates  :smileywink:

Contributor
chamaeleon
0 Kudos

Bought the original Roku way back. Got a really nice deal on a second generation device. Got the latest high-end hockey puck version as a unexpected Christmas present this past Christmas (also bought at a nice discount according to my better half). The latest is hooked up to living room tv with wire, the other two work very well on wireless n for the smaller screens they are hooked up to. I'm not cutting any cable cords, but the combination of these devices plus Netflix is simply great.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I've opted for the Logitech Revue running Google TV. Though the device is abandoned, it still is being updated and provides a lot of bang for the buck. My favorite feature is that it provides universal remote functions, and a nice wireless keyboard. At $100 while they last, it's a steal.

Contributor
drfreeman

love my roku!

list of channels  you can get are here

http://www.roku-channels.com/

Distinguished Correspondent
floridaphil
0 Kudos

I have had Roku for nearly 2 years and I would seriously consider getting rid of cable tv if the bundle I get with Verizon FIOS wasn't so attractive.  

You MUST have a reliable, high speed internet connection to avoid buffering and low quality streams. I had Brighthouse (Time Warner) for a year and finally gave up with them because they couldn't maintain the downstream speed.  FIOS has been flawless.

To get the thread back on-stream, you can check out CNET and Leo Laporte's shows on TWIT TV plus lots of other technology based programming - free on the Roku.

I think someone else has mentioned already that there is a somewhat redundant Roku remote control app on the Android market.

Contributor
annlauraharp
0 Kudos

Love the roku! And the roku remote app on the nook saved me once when our regular remote went awol, & my 2yo was having a meltdown that only Kipper could soothe away. lol. Also love netflix queues and pandora stations being linked between the two devices.