Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

OT: Wireless routers

[ Edited ]

I am hoping there are some geeks on here who can help me. I need to buy a new wireless router. My Linksys-G is pretty old and has started dropping connections daily. I just saw they have AC routers out now - but don't really know anything about them other than most of my devices I have probably won't be able to take advantage of that speed. 

Does anyone here have any advice? Should I go for the newest technology? (I work from home on the internet all day.) Or should I hold off and buy a cheap N for now and wait until the devices catch up? Are there any problems I need to be aware of or brands to avoid?

Will I see any noticable difference on my Nook with the N or AC? (Shameless Nook question so my post looks legit here)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Correspondent
Sardonic
0 Kudos

Re: OT: Wireless routers

Try reading up on CNET and just Google wifi router reviews and see what you get...also, you might drop by a CompUSA after reading up and they will help you...you may spend a few dollars more, but, IMHO, Wal-Mart and Target do not have the tech support you may need...

http://reviews.cnet.com/networking-wifi/?tag=hdr;brandnav

PS - you might want to 'favorite' CNET' they do a good job reviewing and explaining all electronics.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Thanks! I'll Google some reviews.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

My daughter needed a router for her apartment so I gave her mine.  I decided to get an N900 router.  I decided on the Netgear WNDR4500.  I am very happy with the router.  The Nook connects all over the house.  I was still having problems getting a good connection in the backyard so I got the Netgear WN2500RP repeater.  I can now use it in the backyard reliably.

Contributor
DLReid
0 Kudos

Recently had to replace my linksys router - did some research and wound up purchasing a Netgear R6300 WiFi Router - a 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit router - had a good review on Cnet - it also has native support for the new IPV6 internet protocal - this router comes with Netgear Genie software which makes management of the router easier for the non-techie.  The router itself has lots of nice bells & whistles, only drawback for some is that it is a bit pricey - runs $199.00.  I purchased mine at a local Best Buy because they are keeping it in stock.   Setup was a breeze and I really like this router, for me it is the best one I have had so far and I have had several over the past few years.  I am a techie, I do this at work and like to have everything (tv's, satellite tv boxes, nooks, computers, etc) at home networked also.  

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

DLReid - That's the same one I ended up getting. So far, I've noticed big improvements within my network. I am sure I will see much more once my devices are replaced with ac network cards.