Contributor
ALQNAsMommy
0 Kudos

OTA Update

Just wondering if *anyone* has received their 1.4 update via wifi. Thanks!
Contributor
ALQNAsMommy
0 Kudos

Re: OTA Update

Anyone? I only ask because I have yet to receive the update. I don't currently have a computer and it isn't easy for me to get to a Barnes and Noble.
Correspondent
vvlovesu

From what I've heard on this site there won't be an OTA update because of some 'bug'. So if at all possible sideload. That's if you want the update. There has been some bugs and changes:

1. You can now add gift cards to your account directly from your shop page.

2. The library has gotten a nice upgrade (in my opinion). Your shelves, archived books, files, and LendMe are now located in a drop down tab.

3. The book options now have a much more convenient search function, landscape, locked reading, and recommend/share functions.

4. You can access the apps from the library or the quick nav bar.

5. The original quick nav bar has now been replaced by the n button. Some see this as a con, but it is not really an inconvenience especially if you have/use an ipod/iphone.

6. The shop has changed. It's kind of ugly, but you can still do what you need to do.

7. The NC has a habit of placing books and apps that you use on the home page if it is not there already. This is annoying, but not a major problem to keep you from reading.

8. Many people have reported that reading magazines is now 'a job' 'painful' and 'troublesome'. I don't read magazines on my NC so I can not confirm this.

9. The NC is now not allowing you to use certain apps: tv.com netflicks, etc. because they were meant for the Tablet only. So when you update you will probably lose these features.

I updated and  I'm not at all upset or perturbed so you might want to consider these things and read other posts to be sure :smileyhappy:

Reading isn't a "hobby". It's a lifestyle.
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

[ Edited ]

vvlovesu wrote:

9. The NC is now not allowing you to use certain apps: tv.com netflicks, etc. because they were meant for the Tablet only. So when you update you will probably lose these features.

TV.com is the only app that is no longer working. Netflix is added with the update and works great with the nook color. 

There might be an app or so available for the tablet only but these were not apps taken away from the nook color with the update.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
ALQNAsMommy
0 Kudos

Thank you both very much for your responses. I appreciate your extra insight! : )
Contributor
BrownsFan

I was just was on chat with BN and was informed that I missed the OTA update and they do not know why I did not get the update. The only thing they said was that I have to manually update the software since OTA timing had passed. I had my wifi on 95% of the time since the release so that really sure what happened. Just thought I would pass along the word to those waiting for the update. I sort of doubting this message from BN since I have read other posts on here about there was a bug with OTA and they had to stop.
Frequent Contributor
ExNihilo
0 Kudos

That's really odd since I haven't heard anyone say they've received the OTA update... that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I have a NC in the family that is still waiting for OTA.

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

The one that's really interesting is the OXR update.  Amazing!

Contributor
jlg01
0 Kudos

I am still waiting for OTA.  I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying it was ready to push out.  Hope it is still coming....

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

vvlovesu wrote:

8. Many people have reported that reading magazines is now 'a job' 'painful' and 'troublesome'. I don't read magazines on my NC so I can not confirm this.

Not sure what magazines they are reading...  The only difference I have noticed is that the page turns are now animated.  I have about 6 different magazines that I get on my nook and barely notice the animated page turns.

Inspired Contributor
Dr_CTF
0 Kudos

Regarding magazine problems with 1.4.1, I can no longer zoom-and-pan to the tops of any of my magazines after the 1.4.1 update unless I first switch to 'landscape view.'   Magazine tops are only visible in portrait mode after full zoom-out.  Usually this only causes grief when zooming in to read an inset captions inside images that extend through the margin to the top of the page.  But with some magazines that have tight margins, the 1.4.1 NC and NT will chop off part or all of the first line or two of column text.  Very annoying!  Some say this is a "publisher problem" but I disagree, the NC and NT should not "chop off" the top of the page during zoom-and-pan and this behavior did not exist with previous firmware versions.  It's a bug that never should have made through the quality assurance process and it makes me hesitate to purchase another nook device that may be "degraded" by future firmware "updates."

Other 1.4.1 magazine annoyances include:

1. the removal of page numbers from the thumbnail page view, making it difficult to read articles that are split between, say, page 20 and page 80

2. animated page turns are impossible to turn off.  

3. the sensitivity seems to have changed so that I usually trigger the thumbnail view during about half of my attempts to zoom using the "pinch" motion.

Overall the magazine reader feels like beta-test software now but it worked great with firmware versions 1.3 and earlier.  Some people report also huge downloads (200+MB) per issue of certain magazines with 1.4.1, but I have not experienced this.

Frequent Contributor
McCreamy
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. I don't have a computer that I can use to sideload, and I live 2 hrs away from B&N too. I've been waiting for the OTA update. I don't know anyone else that has gotten one OTA.

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

AHA.....!   OTA = Over The Air.   Sure, yup, uh-huh, everyone knows what OTA OTA OTA OTA is.  But... I didn't.  Went to Support and did some searching and finally found it.  Part of side loading instructions.

Yeah, could've just asked here, but just didn't feel like it because....

A short story:

While working in the pharmaceutical industry, my boss called me to his office.  His eyes were wild.  He was pissed.  He handed me a document from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).  It was filled with acronyms.  As I skimmed it, he commented that with over 30 years in the business, he had no idea what the @#%$ing thing was saying, nor did I.  Then, to relieve the frustration, we both began laughing at the futility of the missive and tossed it into the trash can.

The rule of thumb (always wondered what a thumb had to do with it), the first time an acronym is used, it is defined.  Similar to the above FDA.

FAOY - -- - with love.

Frequent Contributor
davidwb

FAOY = Female Athlete of the Year?

Contributor
gesh
0 Kudos

I got my OTA update last night, wasn't really expecting it.
Frequent Contributor
McCreamy
0 Kudos

You are the first one I have heard of getting the update OTA.

Reader
maybellinebks
0 Kudos

Just got mine.  I just happened to check and there it was!  I thought I would never get the update.  So far, so good.

Inspired Contributor
ToddK
0 Kudos

I gave up on waiting for the OTA update after a few weeks and after picking up a 10 inch android tablet and downloading the nook app for android, I forgot all about it.. this the first time I've even picked up the nook color in over 3 weeks - still not updated. B&N really needs to "get their act together" one of these days, or I fear they won't be around much longer. I'll check again in a week or so...
Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

FYI,

You do know that you need to have your NC turned on with the wifi turned on to get the OTC, right?  I can't imagine that you've had the NC on for 3 weeks.  But, maybe you have.

What 10.1 tablet did you buy?

Contributor
azk123
0 Kudos

I got home from work yesterday to find that my NC had updated.  From all I've read, there was nothing in the update that I wanted and I thought I was safe.  I was happy living at 1.3.