Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

Official Google Apps...

I've mentioned this before, but now we have a new administrator and a new, app-centric board, so I'll mention it again: 

Why don't we have the first-party Gmail, Google Reader, facebook, or twitter Android apps? I can't stand the various substitutes we have for these. I've already stated my annoyance with My6Sense elsewhere, but it's just not a very nice interface, especially when these other apps are available free to anyone with an iOS or Android device that's not the nookColor. And these apps aren't developed by some third-party startup, either. They're products of massive corporate structures that ought to be easily portable to the NC, given the resources at these companies disposal. So what's the deal? The Google apps especially seem to come with every Android device, which means that--heaven knows why--B&N has disabled them to offer, in the case of the Gmail app at least, a very poor substitute of their own design. 

So what's up? Why aren't these available? They run beautifully on rooted machines. Sam? 

Confused,

VBW

Frequent Contributor
cutterjohn
0 Kudos

Re: Official Google Apps...

The apps are Google proprietary and any devices having them installed must be certified by Google and the maker has to pay a small licensing fee I believe which apparently B&N haven't done unsurprisingly.

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

Thanks! How do rooters get access to them for free, then?
Contributor
n879
0 Kudos

Cuz we're rooted :smileywink:

Rooting does things I can't explain, but the bottom line is that rooting installs the android market (nook is basically a locked down android), and allows for google account registration. 

Contributor
Vlek
0 Kudos

Well, allow someone that knows what the process does to try to explain: What you're doing when rooting a nook color is, in most cases, removing all of the nook color software off of the device and uploading modified andriod tablet software. When this happens, it's no longer, technicaly, an e-reader, but, instead, a fully functioning andriod tablet with its set of software reaches and restrictions. It has nothing to do with being able to browse the andriod market (considering if you've already gone the lengths to download the warranty voiding software, save for a certain version of froyo which might be allowed by barns & noble, downloading a free version of the market software isn't far off). The nook is not a locked down andriod tablet, but a device which, with the proper software, can become one.