Contributor
sisquack

On the verge of returning my NT

I LOVE this device, but I really hate how B&N is trying to put a strangle hold on how and who I buy apps, music or yeah even books from.

Firstly you need to face up to facts ... your app store is a joke. If you want people to buy things from your store over the Android Market Place, do it by making your store better, not by making it impossible for me to buy from someone else. I don't like being manipulated, it just pisses me off. And I don't think I'm alone.

Secondly, when people buy a device they have this crazy idea that the device belongs to them. You seem to think it still belongs to you though. It doesn't, and all of this just makes me want to root the damn thing out of spite.

Lastly, you say this "update" disallowing side loading is for security reasons ... ... really?

At least be honest about it. Your customers aren't stupid. They read remember ??

I'm going to sleep on it, but Im on the verge of returning my NT.

Either way, you can bet I'll think twice before buying another device from you again. If there is another device from B&N after this that is.

Reader
Pocono_Charlie

Re: On the verge of returning my NT

Then return it.

Obviously, you're a user who was seeking a tablet and not a reader (with certain pluses).

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Or a user who thought the marketing claims of "thousands of apps" might actually be true.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

I understand the frustration, but I'm also of the opinion, that the best place to research a product prior to purchase is a form like this one.  This is where you will find real-world opinions about what this device can and cannot do.   Before I got this device, I knew exactly what it could and could not do based upon what I read in this and other forums.  

The responsibility is on the buyer to do the research.  Doing so prevents the aggravation of being frustrated by the surprises you find because you didn't read up on the device before buying it.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Or a user who thought the marketing claims of "thousands of apps" might actually be true.

I wasn't aware that roughly 2300 doesn't qualify as "thousands".
It may be marketingspeak, but it isn't a lie. The onus to research is on the consumer, not the company.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

"Some people's minds are like cement; all mixed up and permanently set."

Ain't that the truth.

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Correspondent
floridaphil

rafalweb wrote:

I understand the frustration, but I'm also of the opinion, that the best place to research a product prior to purchase is a form like this one.  This is where you will find real-world opinions about what this device can and cannot do.   Before I got this device, I knew exactly what it could and could not do based upon what I read in this and other forums.  

The responsibility is on the buyer to do the research.  Doing so prevents the aggravation of being frustrated by the surprises you find because you didn't read up on the device before buying it.

People like me, the early adopters, ARE the people who provide the forum information.

Once the reviews are available, how exactly do you propose we ensure that features that WERE there when we bought the device are not later erased by a software update?

Seems to me like the OP has a reasonable complaint.  But there's no point in complaining, just return it and get something that meets your requirements.

bobstro

flyingtoastr wrote:
I wasn't aware that roughly 2300 doesn't qualify as "thousands".
It may be marketingspeak, but it isn't a lie. The onus to research is on the consumer, not the company.

Of course there's debate as to which are books wrapped in an app, and which are actual apps. (Yes, a book wrapped as an app is technically an app, but that's probably not what the OP is after.) Until just recently, the number was below 2,000. Those that are available aren't exaclty the best of breed in many categories.

I didn't say the marketingspeak was a lie, but I can see how the OP was expecting more selection. Sure, the onus is on the consumer. That's presumably why the title of this thread is what it is. The problem is that the marketese is going to imply to many that the NT is the "tablet" they want. Going by recent threads here, I'd say there's been more than one consumer that fell for the ploy. I suppose we should sing the praises of the B&N marketing department for fooling another one.

roustabout

Bobstro writes "Those that are available aren't exaclty the best of breed in many categories."

I beg to differ, m'sieur - in the utilities category we have "Ghost Radar," unrivaled in application function by any other utility I can think of.  

File manager?  Pshaw.  Backup utility?  Yawn.

No, we have Ghost Radar.  Best of breed in all categories.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keithlm

sisquack wrote: If you want people to buy things from your store over the Android Market Place,

The Nook never allowed loading apps from the Android market without needing to root the device.  Which you can still do. QED.

Contributor
sisquack

It is a tablet, and that's what they ar selling it as.

keithlm

And it is still a tablet after the update.

Contributor
sisquack

It was a Christmases present. I had nothing to do with buying it. The point is still that this tablet is made and sold as a device that does a lot and handles a lot.

It's being sold as as "tablet" not a reader.

I don't see how B&N removing functionality in this way makes any seance or how this should have been anticipated by any prospective buyer.

roustabout

OK, I have to ask:  "Once the reviews are available, how exactly do you propose we ensure that features that WERE there when we bought the device"

I don't recall seeing a serious review of the tablet that mentioned the app sideloading without also mentioning that it was a software bug;  many of the comments on that, here and elsewhere, asked how long it would take to fix the bug.  

I'm open to evidence of reviews that omitted that, just saying I did read quite a bit about the NT early on - it's a great platform in a lot of ways - and I don't recall reviews mentioning app sideloading as a feature they expected to last.  

This how-to certainly didn't anticipate that the hole would be closed, true, but it doesn't seem like a review to my eye.  

http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-nook-tablet-amazon-appstore-go-launcher-ex... 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 2
PaulWL

For those that are supportive of this heavy handed destruction of functions, including quetionable marketing and ethics, I have a pc to sell you from a new company.  It is an E-Cheap computer, with an Intel Core i3 processor, 4gb ram, dedicated video card, and a modified Windows 7 OS. There are some really good deals going, so get one while you can.

*Disclaimer - only programs and documents purchased from our completely stocked and first rate store, E-Cheap Online, can be installed and/or used.  This excludes popular software tools like Chrome, Google Earth, Firefox, MS Office and many(nearly all) other popular programs as we don't carry them.  We reserve the right to deny support and warranty service if the computer is modified in any way, and can disable any programs we determine to be "un-official" or possibly dangerous to our bottom line of selling less for more.

**Disclaimer II - While this device is marketed as a pc and is a pc, this in no way holds E-Cheap to any standards of letting it operate as a pc, except in ways that marketing deems useful in naming the device a pc.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

Roustabout says : don't recall seeing a serious review of the tablet that mentioned the app sideloading without also mentioning that it was a software bug;  many of the comments on that, here and elsewhere, asked how long it would take to fix the bug.  

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Roustabout.. What were you smoking!! 

It has been mentioned time, and time, and time again from many who did the research that the side-loading was mentioned, and it being a bug that might be fixed was picked up on maybe one review, but the mention was not a definate, it was a possibly.. When I have time, I will look around, but I would now imagine those reviews taken away to be replaced with negative reviews on the upgrade removing functionality..

It was mentioned by two Flying Toastr said an interview (which he could not produce a link to) and someone else said blog (which they could not produce a link to) about it being a bug that would be fixed. So what couldn't be produced was any mention that sideloading was to be fixed in a bug.. Meaning what they saw was a flash one time you might catch it if you were lucky..

But you are the first to try to say that ALL reviews that mentioned side-loading also said it was a bug that would be fixed.. I think you are bluring reality with rose colored glasses!

roustabout

[ Edited ]

"Mentioned here time and again" != evidence.  

I gave a link to the most widely-cited how-to for enabling sideloading that I know of.  It is not a review;  this is the point I am making.   I would like to see a link to a review of the tablet that mentioned side loading and did not mention that it was a bug.  

That would be evidence, and it should not be nearly as hard to come by as the very few reviews which  some say did not mention that sideloading was a bug.  

Also, I wrote "I don't recall reviews mentioning app sideloading as a feature they expected to last."

I did not write what this, though  "ALL reviews that mentioned side-loading also said it was a bug that would be fixed.."

Frankly, I don't remember many reviews mentioning sideloading.  I know it was all over XDA and some of the enthusiast blogs, and it was discussed here. And I remember seeing some breaking news type stories about it, perhaps on CNET, which mentioned it as a bug.  

JMTR

roustabout: "I gave a link to the most widely-cited how-to for enabling sideloading that I know of.  It is not a review;  this is the point I am making. I would like to see a link to a review of the tablet that mentioned side loading and did not mention that it was a bug."

Why does it matter whether the Lilliputing article was/is a "review" or a how-to guide? The fact is that it was the first thing encountered upon Googling "Nook sideload." If you wanted to research the capabilities of the Nook Tablet before purchasing one, and not just rely on the manufacturer's rote recitation of specs, the Lilliputing piece was as specific and authoritative as anything you could find.

keithlm

[ Edited ]

sisquack wrote:

I don't see how B&N removing functionality

AH you have asked a very easy question to answer.

In order for something to be defined as "functionality that could be removed" it must have been something that had been officially acknowledged as being "given".

The definition of "given" does not include something that could be accessed merely because a door was left open or unlocked.

A retail store accidently left their back door above the fire escape unlocked overnight? They have "given" you everything in their store. ("Oh noes... they locked the door the next night? How could they ethically, morally, and legally have take away the access I was given yesterday?"

<insert sound of pathetic wimpering and have people post the same lame tripe on the forums continually>)

sisquack wrote:how this should have been anticipated by any prospective buyer.

Anybody that has past technical experience that did not anticipate this bug fix isn't very knowledgeable or realistic. (Most especially since it was announced almost immediately after being discovered.)

JMTR

keithlm wrote: "In order for something to be defined as 'functionality that could be removed' it must have been something that had been officially acknowledged as being 'given'.

The definition of 'given' does not include something that could be accessed merely because a door was left open or unlocked."

That argument would make sense if the "door" led into, say, the B&N store, allowing people to download freebies to their hearts' content. It makes less sense if the "door" is just another entrance to something the user already has purchased. But let's leave that issue aside.

What about the fact that the 1.4.1 update also deleted the calculator and calendar apps from the NT? Do they meet your definition of "functionality"? If a virus found its way onto your PC and did nothing but delete the Windows calculator, would you consider that the removal of something of value?