Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
0 Kudos

Overall Feedback Needed - 1.3 vs 1.4

[ Edited ]

I would like to hear from those who have already upgraded to 1.4 what your overall conclusion is.

I know you will probably say it depends on what I need.  I use the NC mainly for reading books and magazines.  I have a CM7 card. I am in that OS on occasions when I want to utilize off-the-air library borrowing.

Is 1.4 better than 1.3? Or is it better to stay in 1.3?

Frequent Contributor
Tim_J
0 Kudos

Re: Overall Feedback Needed - 1.3 vs 1.4

1.4.1 is a big improvement over 1.3 in my view.  I used an N2A card for a while, but decided for my use (primarily a reader, use a couple of news apps, twitter app, a few other things) that stock B&N was more solid, more reliable.  Now with 1.4.1 I can't imagine booting with the N2A card.  The software is easier to use, more intuitive, stronger features for reading than are available I believe via the Android Nook app as well.  For me it's made a good device into one that is even better.

Inspired Correspondent
NC-Kindle
0 Kudos

Tim_J wrote:

1.4.1 is a big improvement over 1.3 in my view.  I used an N2A card for a while, but decided for my use (primarily a reader, use a couple of news apps, twitter app, a few other things) that stock B&N was more solid, more reliable.  Now with 1.4.1 I can't imagine booting with the N2A card.  The software is easier to use, more intuitive, stronger features for reading than are available I believe via the Android Nook app as well.  For me it's made a good device into one that is even better.

Agreed!  For reading, the dictionary capabilities and the landscape option are noteworthy. 

Have been an avid SD Card CM7 user/updater.  But, since the 1.4.1 update, am just using the stock Nook - and might just be hooked.  The mSD Card inserted now has lotsa good music and works great. 

Way to go, B&N!

Frequent Contributor
SeaFractor
0 Kudos

I'd also started using this again.    I've really enjoyed CM7.1 and want to extend my appreciation to that open source development.

That said, for the hardware limitations of the NC (it's not a full tablet in terms of no microphone, GPS or camera) it's very solid.   However the BN 1.4.1 update appears to hit all of my needs and in a stable manner.

Of course, I'll use an SD to check out the occasional Ice Cream Sandwich developments (yes an alpha does exist for the NC, see XDA forums for more details).

Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

It is nice. makes the nook more like a tablet. magizine page turns looks different, pages numbered different. very small changes

Contributor
CascaraBorzoi
0 Kudos

I use my NC almost exclusively for reading books (but am about to get an SD card for music).

I like most of the 1.4 update, with the exception of losing my touch screen Home button and having to rely more on the physical button (even with the swipe to go back).

But...ever since the update, I have had trouble with the "My Shelves" feature.

It seems to take a lot longer to bring up my shelves (admittedly I have almost 1,400 books on my NC), but it didn't take this long before the update. Then, once the shelves do come up it seems a lot jerkier as I page down and the cover graphics don't keep up with the shelves (I just get the gray book oblong with a printed title and the Nook "n".

Once I get down about halfway (or even less) through the shelves, all of a sudden books start disappearing from the shelves (the shelves still show as having the proper number of books, but the cover graphics disappear and leave just a blank space where the book was on the shelf, then come back and a different blank space appears for a different book). After it does that for a moment or two, it either dumps me back in the Library or freezes up.

I have tried a total shutdown/restart, but that hasn't solved my shelves issue.

I have one of the early NCs with the 5G partition, and the NC shows me as having 68% (635MB) available for B&N content and 75% (3.73G) available for other storage.

Any ideas??

Frequent Contributor
BFH-CA
0 Kudos

I use my NC primarily for magazines, books, web browsing, and playing AB.  I don't know that you have a choice between upgrading to 1.4.1 or staying on 1.3, but it seems that the 1.4.1 improvements to reading in general are very good, but the value of changes to useability are marginal in some areas, very good in others, and downright aggravatingly stupid in one very important area - the soft n button.

LIKE ABOUT 1.4.1

•  Very nice magazine page turn animation improvement.  Extremely smooth, stable action and pages don't jump when turned as they did in 1.3.
  •  Really like the improvement in magazine organization by grouping issues of the same mag together and showing ther published date in submenu.
  • Still haven't played enough to discover other changes/improvements to make comment.

DON'T LIKE ABOUT 1.4.1

•  Loss of the soft n button.  Really really aggravated by this change.  And really really hate having to press the hard N button all the time, even just to back out of a section at times - where's the Back button on these pages??  Really really hate having to feel around for the hard button in the dark.  Stupid stupid stupid.
  • Don't like the change to installed Apps layout at all.  Takes up way too much real estate.  Under 1.3, I could see all my apps on 1 page. (I don't have many).  Now I have to scroll to see them all.
  • Don't like that you can no longer manually check for new Apps, and that it also no longer shows the total number of Apps available.  I really depended on - and enjoyed seeing - that number increment from week to week. 
  • The whole Apps interface is now unnecessarily oversized and clunky and far less efficient than it was in 1.3.
  •  Not sure yet if I like the change to Shop.  Layout seems nicer in some ways with more efficient options for searching various genres of reading material, but they've done a poor job of sizing the page elements so that the large upper block of vertically scrolled categories crowds the lower horizontal scroll areas, necessitating scrolling that shouldn't be necessary in my opinion.
  •  Media shortcuts is a nice addition to the home page, but would have been a GREAT addition if configurable for which links you wanted to include or omit, and even GREATER if links could include Web and Shop.
  • Did I mention that I REALLY REALLY REALLY HATE THE LOSS OF THE SOFT N BUTTON? 

Inspired Contributor
BrownskinsCD
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recap guys!  I should say I am still on the border.  I guess I will allow the OTA update to take its time (it hasn't fully rolled out yet and hasn't hit our local airwaves)... I will also probably keep a copy of 1.3 just in case I have updater's remorse.

While I do read magazines occasionally (meaning once a month or so), I still mostly just use the NC to read books at night and to visit my favorite community boards or check email.  I also really, really, like borrowing library books and getting them without having to plug my usb cable to my computer so I don't see myself completely giving up the alternate OS via sdcard.

The negatives do not outweigh the positives at this point, but neither do the positives motivate me enough to update.  Thumbs up to all who've shared their experiences.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

I hadn't had my NC long enough for the soft n to become an entrenched habit, so I don't have strong feelings on that front ~ getting used to single click for the bar and double click for the homepage is not so hard, and finding the hard button in the dark is very intuitive using the caribiner to orient.

But I'd not go back for anything, due to the wider selection of font sizes (and themes as well, unless I didn't understand how to navigate the themes before), so I'm happier with it as an ePub book reader. Between that, Netflix, and the browser access to Crunchyroll and Jmanga for anime and manga, I'm well pleased.

Frequent Contributor
ExNihilo
0 Kudos

It's only not about changing habits, though that is an issue with some users. My primary concern with the removal of the "soft N" involves the durability of the "hard N". If its quality is comparable to the USB cable connector, then we're at risk for having no means to navigate our NCs when the "hard N" fails apart from powering off.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

The feature I like the best is the ability to double tap on a photo or illustration in a book--this brings it up on its own page, where you can do the pinch and zoo thing to enlarge it for a better look.

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

I am also an n2a user but I'll give my feedback regarding the 1.4.1 update.  I like the changes to the reader, the added font sizes & landscape mode.  I also agree that the loss if the soft home button was not a smart change.  However, I cannot see going back to stock from n2a for one huge reason: the web browser.  The stock Android browser is the absolute worst browser available.  The lack of tabs and the inability to organize your bookmarks make it worthless to me.  The main reason I bought the n2a card in the first place was to be able to use Dolphin Browser.  When B&N upgrades the Nook so that you can install a better browser, then I will consider going back to stock.

Contributor
Theik
0 Kudos

Once you update to 1.4 you can't roll back to 1.3, I tried. I even did a factory rest but it reset to v1.4. and repartitioned my nc. If anyone knows how to get back to v1.3 please let me know.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

To go back to 1.2, there's a Clockwork flashable kernel at xda-developers. Then you'd need to root that to get access to the device database that contains the setting to turn off running OTA updates. Then from there you'd need a copy of the 1.3 update, and that would bring you to 1.3.

If you want 1.3 rooted, then do the root after updating to 1.3 instead of before.

As far as where to find a copy of the 1.3 update, I dunno ~ maybe find a copy of the how to manually download announcement, make a note of the exact file name, and google it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I have links to flashable 1.2 and 1.3 versions of the OS here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/keeping-your-nc-at-12-or-13.html

I have not had time yet to update the build.prop hack to use that method to block updates w/o needing to root an NC. 

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that you could  extract the build.prop file from the 1.4.2 update and simply copy it into /system (on a rooted NC) to block the update.  I didn't recommend that for preserving 1.2 because I think that there was an OS revision between 1.2 and 1.3 in the underlying Android OS. 

Sorry, but I've been wicked busy lately doing the stuff I get paid to do. 

I'm very surprised to hear that in addition to a complete reformat, the rollback managed to repartition an NC - so far, I have not seen repartitioning in the scripts that BN uses in its updates? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

Regarding rolling back, proceed with caution.  I tried to do it, ended up with an unworkable Nook and then spent quite a bit of time restoring it to...1.4.1

After living with 1.4 for a longer period, I am totally used to the things I didn't like at first and appreciative of some of the new features. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, if you do decide to roll back, you want to start from a clean slate on your NC. 

The key is to back up all your personal data, then format the /system, /data and /cache partition partitions before trying to restore one of the earlier OSes. 

I give details on a clean install at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/clean-12-install.html but as I read that, I realize I reference making a backup with CWR.  

That's actually no longer a technique I recommend.  I don't know of a way to selectively restore using Clockwork.  If you back up /data with CWR and then restore it, you can wind up restoring an out-of-date registration to your device.  Once your device talks to BN, BN will look at your old token and see that it doesn't match your current one.  The mismatch triggers a reset of your device. 

At this point, my best advice for anyone who wants to keep their NC running an earlier release of the software is that they root it.   Rooting your NC lets you mount /system read-write using an app like "Mount System R/W" from the Android market and simply copy files in.

Also, you can try the SQLite hack to block updates once you've rooted, and many folks are reporting that that hack works. 

However, it is super simple to modify build.prop, so I went ahead and redid my blocker. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?6i44qn6an6n20b8

is a link to a flashable-via-CWR build.prop for those who want the simplicity of that technique.

Here is a copy of the modded build.prop itself, if you're curious about what it looks like:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3q9yrer8kndq899

It's a direct copy (with only the build.prop file changed) of my earlier preserve prop CWR file, so it should work but I have not tested inistalling it via Clockwork - I did confirm that the edited build.prop works fine as far as booting the device and and that BN reports that the system has been updated. 

One thing I did think was interesting in the BN build.prop for NC 1.4.2 is this:

media.stagefright.enable-http=false

That value used to be set to true, and I left it at true in my file.  Also, my file IDs your device as an HTC Vision should you choose to root it -- this is helpful for the A market. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

[...] Also, you can try the SQLite hack to block updates once you've rooted, and many folks are reporting that that hack works. 

That has worked for me on two NC, a NT and a NST (though it hasn't had an update released yet) since June 2011.

GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

"The key is to back up all your personal data, then format the /system, /data and /cache partition partitions before trying to restore one of the earlier OSes. "

I formattted system and cache and then got error messages trying to format data.  Nothing I tried would allow that.  Now I have a Nook with no OS.  So I proceed with trying to install 1.3.  First attempt the file wouldn't open, "bad file" message.  I reload the card and try again, same thing.  I try a different 1.3 download from another source.  It loads and installs.  I boot up and it won't boot past the splash screen.  So, back to reformat system/cache/data, still get the error message at data.  Now try to install 1.2.  It loads and installs, boots up.  Now I have a workable device in 1.2 except every 2 seconds the screen goes black for a second.  I can work on the Nook with a flashing screen.  So now I load onto the Nook the 1.4.1 manual install file from B&N and let the NC go to sleep.  That installs fine and I think I am good.  Except now I can't buy anything because the shop function does not work properly.  And my books and apps won't download even though the B&N site has me properly logged on.

Now an "erase and deregister" at Peet's coffee shop (I don't have wi-fi at home.)   Restore my sideloads and B&N content and finally am back to normal.  Anyway it was a learning experience.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

BrownskinsCD wrote:

I would like to hear from those who have already upgraded to 1.4 what your overall conclusion is.

I know you will probably say it depends on what I need.  I use the NC mainly for reading books and magazines.  I have a CM7 card. I am in that OS on occasions when I want to utilize off-the-air library borrowing.

Is 1.4 better than 1.3? Or is it better to stay in 1.3?

1.4 is a better reader. It has a wider choice of fonts, a wider choice of themes, supports a wider variety of material, including graphic novels with pinch to zoom zooming and respecting LtR and RtL for GN's from the West and from East Asia, and ebooks with multi-media inserts. It can read in landscape for those who prefer it, though you can also lock it in either orientation if you want to read sideways lounging on the couch or in bed. It can read public domain material like old magazines that are distributed as raw scans in CBZ format.

Even the infamous removal of the onscreen status bar button to bring up the navbar and swapping that for a single n click to the navbar and double n click to the home screen is an improvement when you are reading, since it removes the biggest distraction from the status bar.

If the quality of the stock ereader app is primary and the other stuff is secondary, definitely upgrade.

If more concerned about the various issues with the user interface and the bookshelf, the decision might involve more trade-offs.