Reader 4
Cgbick
0 Kudos

Overdrive Media Console app?

Will there be a Nook Color version of the Overdrive Media Console app?  This would let me access my library's epub format books directly.

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Re: Overdrive Media Console app?

Hi, and welcome to the board.

Try using the forum search.  There have been a few discussions on this topic, none of which will probably bring you any encouragment unfortunately.

New User
Magickalchick3
0 Kudos

So basically, so far, there's no way of downloading library books onto the Nook Color??

Frequent Contributor
dieterpops
0 Kudos

You can use Adobe Digital Editions to download library books and transfer them to your nook color. Otherwise, you can root the device and download Overdrive.

Hope this helps.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can't find the thread right now :smileysad:  but I thought I read somewhere that someone emailed Overdrive and they replied that it was in progress but no timeframe given.

edit: nevermind here it is Overdrive post in NOOK Apps Forum 3rd post, yea i know not much confirmation there, but I can pretend it's true, right?  :smileywink:

Contributor
Trankster

dieterpops wrote:

You can use Adobe Digital Editions to download library books and transfer them to your nook color. Otherwise, you can root the device and download Overdrive.

Hope this helps.

I do this regularly and it works easily.  I download ebooks from the local public library and transfer to both Nook Color and Nook 2E using Adobe Digital Edition.  I am also using the Overdrive app on my Android phone, but prefer the Adobe Digital Edition method so that I can read library books with my native BN reader. With Overdrive, you must read books with the Overdrive app

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Magickalchick3 wrote:

So basically, so far, there's no way of downloading library books onto the Nook Color??

I guess this has been answered, but I wanted to post another confirmation as this is such a great way to get content on the Nook Color.  We have two in our household, one running CM7 on a SD card and one stock 1.2.  On my device with CM7, I am able to download books from our local library directly to the Overdrive Media Console app that is available in the Android Market for any Android device--same for my Droid X phone.  On my mon's stock 1.2 device, I download the books on a PC to Adobe Digital Editions and transfer them over in about the same amount of time.  We can even both read the same book as I have the same account set up on both devices.  Try doing THAT with a dead tree book!!

Inspired Contributor
BonRuth
0 Kudos

If your local library offers digital downloads, you will need a library card and a PIN.  Using your Nook Color web browser, go to the library's website and look for a link referencing Digital Downloads. That will take you to a website hosted by Overdrive.com where you can install the Adobe Digital Editions reader. 

If you are using the B&N stock operating system, you will need to download library books onto your compuer (use the same setup instructions as above on your PC) and then "side load" them onto your NOOK Color.

If you are using the Android operating sustem, you can download the Overdrive Media Console from the Overdrive.com website, and download library books directly onto your device..

Reader
JulieAP
0 Kudos

I'm a new nook color owner; how disappointing that you can't download a library book directly to the device unless it's rooted and you use the Overdrive app? That's primarily why I got it... I mean - it's an EREADER.... The overdrive app is available for everything EXCEPT the eReader! I hope this is addressed soon.  I love my nook, but was a little disappointed about having to download a book to my PC, use ADE, then sideload (is that the correct term?) the book to the nook.  Not that it's a huge task, just seems a little cumbersome given that we have devices with wifi, and it's supposed to be a book-reading-friendly device! Any gossip on when the overdrive app will be available for the nook?   :smileysad:

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

JulieAP wrote:

I'm a new nook color owner; how disappointing that you can't download a library book directly to the device unless it's rooted and you use the Overdrive app? That's primarily why I got it... I mean - it's an EREADER.... The overdrive app is available for everything EXCEPT the eReader! I hope this is addressed soon.  I love my nook, but was a little disappointed about having to download a book to my PC, use ADE, then sideload (is that the correct term?) the book to the nook.  Not that it's a huge task, just seems a little cumbersome given that we have devices with wifi, and it's supposed to be a book-reading-friendly device! Any gossip on when the overdrive app will be available for the nook?   :smileysad:

I agree with you. But rather than just wait for a fix from a to-be-offered B&N app, you could do a SD card dual-boot CM7 installation allowing you your regular B&N stock system or a SD card-operated CM7 with Overdrive for direct library loans sans the PC or cable. That's what I do and it works fine.

Frequent Contributor
ShastaGG
0 Kudos

We were told right up front that, as of the time we bought the Nook, we could not download anything from Amazon or Audiobooks.co  (owned by Amazon), but we could live with that just so we could get free books from our lbrary.  We bought the Nook Color in April and between Adobe Digital Editions and Overdrive we have been able to down load both ebooks and audiobooks (in MP3) from our library and free ebooks from quite a few from other websites (i.e inkmesh.com, kobo.com, diesel.com, etc.)

Contributor
TomB57
0 Kudos

Does "dual-boot" allow selection of OS withOUT removing the SD?

If not,then removing/replacing the SD is, for me, less convenient than sideloading from the PC.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TomB57 wrote:

Does "dual-boot" allow selection of OS withOUT removing the SD?

If not,then removing/replacing the SD is, for me, less convenient than sideloading from the PC.

Yes, my dual boot (das u-boot) CM7 on SD lets me boot either to the stock B&N OS from the nook color or to CM7 from the SD card with no need to remove the card. Switching between OSes does require a full shutdown and reboot--but the SD card remains in the nook for either.

When running CM7, the Overdrive app lets me install books straight from the web--unlike the stock B&N OS that requires a computer with ADE to get books and load them to the nook color.

LA3
New User
LA3
0 Kudos

Yes, you can easily use the Adobe program (ADE).

This link has a Youtube video showing how it is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGn-ToZPj1s&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1

The video was produced by the Orange County Library System, but it works with all libraries.

Frequent Contributor
Painterroy
0 Kudos

You don't need an app to download library books. You do need the Overdrive on your computer. You don't even need the Adobe Digital editions to transfer the library books to the Nook Color. You download the Library book from your local online Library. Then just go into windows explorer. connect your Nook to your computer & drag or copy & paste the download file into the "Digital Editions" folder under your Nook listed in the explorer. It will show up on your Nook. very easy.

Roy Evan Burstiner
New User
LaLettrice
0 Kudos

Overdrive Media Console app is now available! WAHOO!

Contributor
dpowers
0 Kudos

I have library card for 2 different libraries. One offers downloads direct to my nook the other does not.

Dave
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

dpowers wrote:
I have library card for 2 different libraries. One offers downloads direct to my nook the other does not.

Dave

Believe that this is an issue with the library that doesn't offer downloads this way.  You should contact them directly to get it resolved.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

dpowers wrote:

Dave

Exactly. Under each different system, libraries have to pay for the right to lend out ebooks, and you can only borrow ebooks from the libraries that have paid for that system. Overdrive is the most widely used system, and if only one of your two libraries is a member of the Overdrive system ... then borrow your ebooks from them.

There is a second system, the 3M Cloud Library, Nook has an app for that one as well.

There is also a system from Baker & Taylor, Axis 360, which seems to be more for college libraries. Its not clear (the article I've linked to is a general discussion), but it seems likely that reading Axis 360 books on a Nook device would require sideloading.

Contributor
dpowers
0 Kudos

Both libraries have overdrive only one lets mobil download- direct to nook the other you have to sideload with adobe