Contributor
Ivebnnooked
0 Kudos

Overdrive app

The Overdrive app is now available, free, for both the Nook Color and Nook Tablet.  I've downloaded it and was able to download books directly from my library.  It took a little fumbling around to get the right settings because the instructions appear to be seriously lacking but at least it works.

Inspired Contributor
catarific

Re: Overdrive app

[ Edited ]

Yes, the instructions are lacking. :smileyfrustrated:

If someone could help us by giving us clear cut instructions, would be very grateful!

Contributor
SmkyMtnHny
0 Kudos

And I second that emotion!!  I "fumbled" around for an hour at least and still couldn't figure it out.  Oh, please! Take my hand and lead me to the land of Overdrive!! :smileyembarrassed:

Contributor
Concerned125
0 Kudos

These instruction videos from Overdrive might fill in the some of the gaps:

http://help.overdrive.com/going-mobile-videos

While they are not specific to  the NC and NT most people will be able to use the Android videos to figure out what they need.

Inspired Contributor
catarific

In order to utilize this app, you must have an Adobe I.D.

If you do have an Adobe I.D. and password, go to the app settings and find the authorize section.  There enter your Adobe I.D. (your email) and password.  If you are not registered with Adobe, select "Register at Adobe.com" and follow the instructions to sign up for an Adobe I.D.  Enter the email and password for your new Adobe account and tap authorize.

Use the Get books option in the app and select a library where you have your library card by either name or zip code.  Browse through the books and select one that is available and check out with your information (be sure you have your library card number because you will need to enter it.)   Once the book is downloaded, the app will automatically open.

This app is different from sideloading library books.  You will be reading your books by opening the Overdrive app.  The books will not appear on the Nook when clicking the book icon nor will you see it anywhere on your Nook except when in the Overdrive app.  The book is downloaded by chapers rather than in its full entirety.  But like the Nook, you can change the size of the font and the background color.  You can also click on a word for a dictionary definition.  You will not see a bookmark on the page but the app will remember where you left off and when you open the app, you will be at the correct page. 

This app is different from sideloading but it is nice and easy and you can get your books without having to go to your computer.

Contributor
SmkyMtnHny
0 Kudos

catarific wrote:

In order to utilize this app, you must have an Adobe I.D.

If you do have an Adobe I.D. and password, go to the app settings and find the authorize section.  There enter your Adobe I.D. (your email) and password.  If you are not registered with Adobe, select "Register at Adobe.com" and follow the instructions to sign up for an Adobe I.D.  Enter the email and password for your new Adobe account and tap authorize.

Use the Get books option in the app and select a library where you have your library card by either name or zip code.  Browse through the books and select one that is available and check out with your information (be sure you have your library card number because you will need to enter it.)   Once the book is downloaded, the app will automatically open.

This app is different from sideloading library books.  You will be reading your books by opening the Overdrive app.  The books will not appear on the Nook when clicking the book icon nor will you see it anywhere on your Nook except when in the Overdrive app.  The book is downloaded by chapers rather than in its full entirety.  But like the Nook, you can change the size of the font and the background color.  You can also click on a word for a dictionary definition.  You will not see a bookmark on the page but the app will remember where you left off and when you open the app, you will be at the correct page. 

This app is different from sideloading but it is nice and easy and you can get your books without having to go to your computer.

Catarific, thank you so very much! I followed your instructions exactly and IT WORKS! I was trying to make something "easy" into something hard.  The only two problems I had [which was entirely "me"] was finding the "apps settings" and not remembering my Adobe ID password. Once I found the "menu" with the app settings and created a new ID [never could get my password to reset], everything worked beautifully!  Thank you so much again! And a laurel to you for your help!!:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

Glad it worked for you
Reader 4
lawLW
0 Kudos

Does anybody know if you need an SD card to download books?  I got the app installed and got to my library and checked out a book but when I try to download the book I get an error that says there is no SD card installed.  I checked the app settings and I have it set to download to my tablet and not the SD card.

Contributor
Ivebnnooked
0 Kudos

This is one of the things that is confusing about the Overdrive app.  You do not need an SD card for downloading.  However, I too had trouble finding my books after I had downloaded them.    The Overdrive app gives you three choices for the location to whcih you download a book, an SD card, internal memory and the Overdrive app.  After some fumbling around I changed the setting within the Overdrive app to download to the Overdrive app rather than an SD card or the internal memory.  That worked.  Then to open the book you first open the Overdrive app and then search for your book using the Overdrive software. 

So far I think I like to read with the native Nook software better than with the Overdrive app.  For example, the Overdrive app keeps track of where you are in the book first by chapter and then by the page within the chapter.  I also have a Nook Simple Touch so when I want to change ereaders it is harder to find my place on the Simple Touch since it is using the stock Nook software and keeps track of your place by the total number of pages rather than the page within a chapter.

The Overdrive app appears to give the option of letting you download directly to the Nook's internal memory and then one would assume you could open the book file with the Nook software.  However, when I attempted to do this I could not find the downloaded book.  If someone has some better information on this I would really appreciate hearing it.

Reader 4
lawLW
0 Kudos

That didn't work for me.  I can check them out from the library but when I try to download from the library site, it still says I need a SD Card. 

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had to admit this but I will.  I really had wanted this app so I wouldn't have to sideload.  But now that I have the app and see how it works, I really think I enjoy reading my books from the Nook rather than from this app.  When I sideload my books, I can physically place a bookmark and can use the book icon to get to my book.  I know how many pages the book actually has.  With the app, I only know how many pages there are for a chapter - not for the entire book and I cannot get to my book unless I open the app.  It is convenient downloading from the Nook using the Overdrive app but sideloading has its positives too.

I don't know about your library, but the digital portion of my public library only seems to have a few new epub format e-books but not that many choices - not like the regular public library with many new hard back books.  Many of the e-books you can buy at B&N are not available as e-books in my library but they are available in hard back format.  It seems I spend a long time going through the available e-book listings and then end up doing an online order for a hard back book reserve instead.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Overdrive doesn't sync, if you read on more than one device. You can download the book to multiple devices using the same library account, but you also have to return / delete from each device separately.
Contributor
dpowers
0 Kudos

Now I need my library to allow device downloads. Maybe someday..
Contributor
DinahMA44
0 Kudos

Do I need to download and install ADE on my nook?  Do I need to be connected to WiFi to read the books?

Thanks for your help.

Contributor
balidog
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if there's a way to download MP3 files using this app and then moving/copying the files to an Ipod. I like to listen to books while I walk rather than sitting down with my Nook. If this is possible, please let us know how this can be done, Thanks. 

Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

I just got the Nook HD+ and am trying Overdrive - like people say - it takes FOREEEEVVVEEERRR to download! And why the h-ck one chapter at a time????? I suppose going back to sideloading!

A little miffed!

Anna

Inspired Correspondent
DanRNJ
0 Kudos

No need to involve the Nook when dealing with audio files.  You can install the Overdrive app on your PC or Mac, download the MP3 files (or WMA files) to that devlice and then use iTunes to transfer them from the computer to the iPod, iPad, etc. http://www.overdrive.com/default.aspx

New User
clareyberry
0 Kudos

balidog - for MP3 files, if you have an iPod Touch, you can use Overdrive's app for iPhones/ iPods to Wi-Fi download directly form OverDrive. Not sure if that app will work with the other ipod devices...

Contributor
DinahMA44
0 Kudos

I am finding that the book downloads quickly on the Nook tablet.  When I read it, there is a slight hesitation between chapters.  One can navigate using the symbols available on the bottom of the screen.  The advantage is that I don't have to sideload and I can return from the Nook.  I have tried it for a couple of books now and will continue to use it rather than sideload.   Less steps and for the convenience.  I can borrow, download and return without using the computer.  And it is available to read through OverDrive on the Nook.

Reader 4
macroCharlie
0 Kudos

Has anybody figured out how to change the font size? I can not find it on any menu.