Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

6th Book: The Emerald City of Oz

We are pleased to announce that we have published the 6th book in the Wizard of Oz series: The Emerald City of Oz. It includes all of the original illustrations (over 100, many in color) by John R. Neill. DRM-free.
The Emerald City of Oz [Illustrated]  

Here is an excerpt from the all new preface by Oz expert and Eltanin editor J.C. Nusbaum:

"L. Frank Baum pulled out all the stops for his sixth and, what he believed was to be the final, Oz book, The Emerald City of Oz. In this book, it seems Baum brought in all his longed for elements, including the title, which was the working title for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz but was rejected by the publisher because of a superstition cursing novels named after gemstones. Baum also elevates this Oz book beyond the constructs of a direct and simple narrative; for the first time, he constructs two parallel storylines that follow the protagonists (Dorothy, the Wizard and a host of favorite traveling companions) as well as the Nome King and his brood of antagonists on two separate journeys where both parties encounter a range of mystifying populations. ..."

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

Re: 6th Book: The Emerald City of Oz

I picked this one up yesterday morning. My family has really enjoyed these books. Are you still planning on publishing the rest of the books in the series?
That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Contributor
cartooncool
0 Kudos

These books are wonderful and the conversion to ebook format is very well done. We have purchased them all and will continue to do so when you release new ones. Thanks! 

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Lovely job on the production, well worth the modest price. I read several of these in cheap paoerback reprints as a kid, and of course have seen the movie many times. This is how an ebook of a classic ought to be done.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

I just got to one of my favorite passages in The Marvelous Land of Oz: Tip, The Tin Woodman, The Saw Horse, The Scarecrow, and Jack Pumpkinhead meet Dr. H.M Woggle-bug, T.E.

It has been perhaps 35 years since I read that passage. Rereading it now is a great pleasure. And the colors of the illustration for this classic scene look utterly wonderful, probably much better than they did in the cheap paperback reprint that I read as a child. Wonderful. As an adult, I can further appreciate the historical significance of all those colors: the Victorian era was the first time in history when colorful clothing and books were mass-market items thanks to the nineteenth-century invention of synthetic dyes. Today we take it for granted that even cheap stuff comes in any color we want it to. For the Victorians, such colors were new.

Later, when my father was a child, the film The Wizard Of Oz was the first color film he saw. Even for those of us who grew up in an era when almost all movies were in color, the transition from Kansas in black and white to Oz in all its colors is stunning. It blew my nine-year-old father away. These wonderful books richly deserve such a loving reproductions of their classic colors.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and MatthewH, thanks for the review on Amazon. B&N's review system for classics is all messed up (see this thread if you care to read the details), so if you leave a review for one of our books on B&N, it helps to mention Eltanin Publishing, and also use the "add recommendations" link when making your review and recommend the actual book (ours) you are reviewing. You can also cross to the "dark side" and leave a review at Amazon. :smileywink:

And, HumbleC, yes we do plan to keep going with the series. We had hoped to get one published every 2 months, but we missed that goal with The Emerald City of Oz. We'll try to be a little quicker with the next.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Not sure how I missed picking this up when it was released, but I've got it now. You guys are doing a great job with these Oz books. Looking forward to the next one.
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Thanks, MDD73. The next book, The Patchwork Girl of Oz, will be available very very soon! (I'll post here when it is)

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

7th Book: The Patchwork Girl of Oz

The 7th book, The Patchwork Girl of Oz, is now available:

The Patchwork Girl of Oz [Illustrated]  

Includes ALL the original illustrations (over 130, many in color), including an illustration in the Editor's Preface from a chapter that ended up not being included in the book because it is a bit gruesome! DRM-free. $0.99.

MDD73
0 Kudos

8th Book: Tik-Tok of Oz

[ Edited ]

Tik-Tok of Oz  Found the 8th Oz book - Tik-Tok of Oz - listed the other day.  It hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I figured I'd add it.  Still $.99 and DRM free.  Still an excellent quality production.  Over half-way through the original Baum stories now.  Looking forward to the rest.

MDD73
0 Kudos

8th Book: Tik-Tok of Oz

[ Edited ]
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Re: 8th Book: Tik-Tok of Oz

Thanks, MDD73 - I thought I had posted here, but apparently didn't. Thanks for updating everyone. We're already working on The Scarecrow of Oz!

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

The Scarecrow of Oz

The 9th book is now available:

The Scarecrow of Oz [Illustrated]  

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub

Rinkitink in Oz

We've published the 10th book in the series:

Rinkitink in Oz [Illustrated]  

Correspondent
dandelion_cottage
0 Kudos

Re: Rinkitink in Oz

These are great! I've bought them all and also recommended them to my YA book group when we read OZMA OF OZ. I still have my original hardback Oz books, but it's nice to have these on the Nook as well. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Did you ever get the issue fixed with reviews/descriptions for various editions of the Oz books being all mixed together? It's been a couple years now hasn't it?

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

<sigh> No, B&N still combines the reviews for many different version of public domain books. B&N has variously said that this is how they want it and saying they will look into it. So if you leave a review please say you are reviewing the Eltanin Publishing version and "recommend" one of our books, such as the one you are reviewing.This puts a link to our versions.