Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Oz the way it was meant to be - Fully Illustrated - many in Color

[ Edited ]

Hello. I'd like to announce that we (Eltanin Publishing, I'm the Editor-in-Chief Cathy Ryan) have published two books from the Oz series that are formatted as superbly as humanly possible. The Marvelous Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz include all the originaly illustrations - and if the illustrations were in color, they are in these ebooks (In Marvelous Land of Oz, about 10% of the 130+ images are in color, and in Ozma of Oz, more than half of the 100+ are color). They each have a clickable table of contents as well as an all new preface by Oz expert and Eltanin editor Joe Nusbaum. They are also DRM-free, so you can freely move them around to all your ereading devices. Here are links to the books:

The Marvelous Land of Oz [Illustrated]  

Ozma of Oz [Illustrated]  

We'd love some actual reviews (as opposed to people just clicking the stars), so keep that in mind if you buy one and enjoy it.

Thanks for your time, and happy reading!

Cathy Ryan

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Re: Oz the way it was meant to be - Fully Illustrated - many in Color

Our Oz books received a wonderful review!

(also, use the links above, or search on "Eltanin Publishing" to find our books - B&N has incorrectly linked multiple different publishers' versions of the Oz books in such a way that you can't find them by searching on the title!)

Eltanin gets it rightby "Saccenti"

These works are available in the public domain. You can get all the Oz books at Project G, including illustrated versions of most. BUT. It is all in the formatting. This review is for the Eltanin Publishing editions, which as of this writing has done the second and third books of the series (Marvelous Land and Ozma). They have done a masterful job in these two efforts. It is all about the illustrations. I prefer my kids to read books on our iPad. But, for books with illustrations, I have them read the paper versions instead. I haven't forgotten the illustrations, even so many years later, of the books I read as a child. And so I want my children to have the same experience. So the test for whether a children's ebook makes the cut for me is in the quality of the pictures. For books like the Oz series, books that are in the public domain, this means how well a job did the editor do formatting the text and scanning the illustrations. Results vary widely. Always "download the sample" if you are buying them here at B&N. Another thing to consider: did the editor include ALL the illustrations. Perhaps some were omitted, on a rush job. These "editors" are taking things from the public domain, formatting them, and selling them for a couple bucks. Fine. But are they doing a good job? Are they being thorough? I am very picky about this. I want my kids to have ALL the pictures, every one. Otherwise we will just read the paper book. But for the Oz books, there is one additional wildcard. Even some very fine versions on Project G still omit a particular kind of illustration: the "first-word-in-the-chapter" illustration. Baum's original books (and these are what are in the public domain) began most chapters with an illustration, and the first letter of the first sentence was integrated into the illustration. Almost without exception, ebook editors have been omitting these illustrations when reproducing the Oz series. Even very nicely done versions (check out the Ozma of Oz illustrated version on Project G for an example), without these beginning chapter illustrations, are going to be missing a lot of artwork. The Eltanin versions get it right. Text formatting is perfect (one expects nothing less on this front). The scans of the illustrations are sharp and clear (this can vary widely for other publishers, always download the sample!). And ALL illustrations are included. I do hope they continue the series for the other 12 books of the series. I would be interested in any of their other children's book projects, if they continue on at this high standard.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

I want to update everyone that we have published our version of the long-awaited The Wonderful Wizard of Oz:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [Illustrated]  

Over 150 color illustrations. DRM-free. Check out the sample, which will give you a good taste of the quality of the images.

Also I should note that our Marvelous Land of Oz is temporarily unavailable. I took it off sale 5 days ago to make some minor tweaks, and after clicking "take off sale", it has said "processing" for 5 days. If anyone wants to buy it, you can either buy it from Amazon (the best way to find our books at both B&N and Amazon is to search on "Eltanin Publishing") and convert it to ePub, or contact me - cathy@eltaninpublishing.com. I will post here again when B&N has fixed this problem.

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

Re: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

EltaninPub wrote:

I want to update everyone that we have published our version of the long-awaited The Wonderful Wizard of Oz:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [Illustrated]  

Over 150 color illustrations. DRM-free. Check out the sample, which will give you a good taste of the quality of the images.

Also I should note that our Marvelous Land of Oz is temporarily unavailable. I took it off sale 5 days ago to make some minor tweaks, and after clicking "take off sale", it has said "processing" for 5 days. If anyone wants to buy it, you can either buy it from Amazon (the best way to find our books at both B&N and Amazon is to search on "Eltanin Publishing") and convert it to ePub, or contact me - cathy@eltaninpublishing.com. I will post here again when B&N has fixed this problem.

I just bought all three of your Oz books.  They are fantastic.  There is another publisher that put out all of the L Frank Baum Oz books with illustrations.  Based on the samples, they did a pretty good job, but these are excellent.  The images are extremely sharp, and are well integrated with the text.  Are you planning on publishing the rest, or at least a subset of them?  Please let us know, I will be looking for them.

As you can tell from my post, the second book (Marvelous) is back.  Note that I originally downloaded the sample a week or so ago.  I tried downloading from there, and it failed.  But, I took a chance and looked it up on the website directly and was able to download it.  I suspect there was an issue since the book was pulled after I downloaded the sample, and was then put back later.  It probably created a mismatch, so it could not find it.

Thanks for the great books.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Thanks, HumbleCorrespondent! We do strive the be the best-formatted version. And we do plan on eventually formatting all the Oz books. The 4th book, Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, should be available in just a few weeks. 

Yes, I had attempted to briefly take down Marvelous Land of Oz to make a minor change, and it stayed as "processing" (my request to take it off sale) for over a week, so I finally just re-published it. So the web address is different. I can't find how to edit my original post, so I'll put a link here. The easiest way to find our books is to search on "Eltanin Publishing".

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Thanks for this book. I'm a big OZ fan, and downloaded it just now. It looks great!

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

EltaninPub wrote:

Thanks, HumbleCorrespondent! We do strive the be the best-formatted version. And we do plan on eventually formatting all the Oz books. The 4th book, Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, should be available in just a few weeks. 

Yes, I had attempted to briefly take down Marvelous Land of Oz to make a minor change, and it stayed as "processing" (my request to take it off sale) for over a week, so I finally just re-published it. So the web address is different. I can't find how to edit my original post, so I'll put a link here. The easiest way to find our books is to search on "Eltanin Publishing".

That is good news.  I'm looking forward to the next book, and the rest as they come out.  Thanks :smileyvery-happy:

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

HumbleCorrespondent, I'll post here when the next book is out (hopefully soon), so if you subscribe to the thread, you'll be notified.

Glad you like them!

MDD73
0 Kudos

I picked up the first one - my first non-free e-book.  My daughter and I love the book, but neither of us has ever seen it with the original illustrations.  It looks great so far, and I expect I'll be picking up the others in the near future.  We've actually never read the other books at all, but we're excited about it.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

Wow, your first paid ebook! What an honor - Thank You. We'll have the 4th book out soon for you and your daughter to enjoy.

MDD73
0 Kudos

MDD73
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

You're quick, MDD73! I hadn't announced it yet because I learned of and corrected one issue - apparently the nook software doesn't resize images to fit the screen the way the kindle does - it chops them off. I had been testing on a nook color, which is the same width (in pixels) as the e-ink nooks. But the nook color is taller. So I had to make some tall images smaller so that they wouldn't get chopped off on the e-ink nooks.

I fixed it yesterday and it looks like the new version is live. If you have a nook color, you don't have to do anything. But if you have an e-ink nook and images are getting cut off on the bottom (most of the large images have a caption, so if the captions are missing, they are getting cut off), all you have to do is delete the book from your nook and re-download it.

I also fixed some large images in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [Illustrated]  . Again, if you bought it and have an e-ink nook, just delete it and redownload it. I'll be checking for any problem images in The Marvelous Land of Oz [Illustrated]  and Ozma of Oz [illustrated]  today.

We always want to know of any problems you find in our books! There's an email address in the afterword of each book, and I'll put mine here: cathy@eltaninpublishing.com

One comment on Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz [Illustrated]  - although there are fewer images in this book than some of the other, the color images are beautiful. If you do have an e-ink nook, be sure to check out the images on you computer some time (using the nook for PC/Mac software, or Adobe Digital Editions).

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

These Oz books are great. I look forward to getting the rest as they come out.
Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks, HumbleCorrespondent. I checked our other Oz books for any problems with large images getting cut off, and resized some images in The Marvelous Land of Oz [Illustrated]  (see previous post). So if you have an e-ink nook, you might want to download the new version, so that no images are cut off. All you have to do is delete it from your nook and redownload it. It may take a day or so for the new version to be available.

MDD73
0 Kudos

The kids and I are well into "The Marvelous Land of Oz" for their bedtime reading.  Even the boys, who frequently regard Oz as being for girls, are enjoying hearing the story and seeing those wonderful illustrations - especially the color ones.  Thanks again for the effort you put into these.  I've tried to look at illustrated books from other sources (Oz and otherwise), and they're generally a jumbled mess.  These look great.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

MDD73 wrote:

The kids and I are well into "The Marvelous Land of Oz" for their bedtime reading.  Even the boys, who frequently regard Oz as being for girls, are enjoying hearing the story and seeing those wonderful illustrations - especially the color ones.  Thanks again for the effort you put into these.  I've tried to look at illustrated books from other sources (Oz and otherwise), and they're generally a jumbled mess.  These look great.

Thanks, MDD73. I'm wondering, with regards to your boys thinking Oz is for girls, what they will think when you get to the revelation about Tip.

It certainly makes all the work worthwhile when someone like yourself appreciates the effort. We are currently trying to figure out how to present the images in The Road to Oz, which has color-tinted pages. When you look at the edge of the book, it looks like a rainbow. I'm not seeing a great way to convey this in an ebook...

MDD73
0 Kudos

EltaninPub wrote:

Thanks, MDD73. I'm wondering, with regards to your boys thinking Oz is for girls, what they will think when you get to the revelation about Tip. 

Indeed, that could prove interesting.  They're more fascinated with Jack Pumpkinhead right now, though.

EltaninPub wrote:
We are currently trying to figure out how to present the images in The Road to Oz, which has color-tinted pages. When you look at the edge of the book, it looks like a rainbow. I'm not seeing a great way to convey this in an ebook...

Yeah, trying to illustrate that will likely be a headache.  I'll still be waiting to check out whatever you come up with, though.

Frequent Contributor
EltaninPub
0 Kudos

We've published the 5th book in L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz series:

The Road to Oz [Illustrated]  

just $0.99.

Includes ALL the original illustrations (over 130) by John R. Neill. As was discussed above in this thread, the first edition had tinted paper, with different colors representing the different areas of Oz the Dorothy traveled through. Black and white illustrations were then printed on the tinted paper. There was no real way to represent this in ebook form - if we had a tinted background to the images, they would not look good on e-ink ereaders (the images would appear on a grey background, making the images harder to see. The drawings are beautifully detailed, so we didn't want to detract from them. In any case, we feel we've done the best possible job, and hope you'll agree.

Happy Holidays!

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

EltaninPub wrote:

We've published the 5th book in L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz series:

The Road to Oz [Illustrated]  

just $0.99.

Includes ALL the original illustrations (over 130) by John R. Neill. As was discussed above in this thread, the first edition had tinted paper, with different colors representing the different areas of Oz the Dorothy traveled through. Black and white illustrations were then printed on the tinted paper. There was no real way to represent this in ebook form - if we had a tinted background to the images, they would not look good on e-ink ereaders (the images would appear on a grey background, making the images harder to see. The drawings are beautifully detailed, so we didn't want to detract from them. In any case, we feel we've done the best possible job, and hope you'll agree.

Happy Holidays!

I picked this up last night.  It's another great offering.  I look forward to picking up the rest in the series as they come out.  I enjoy reading them with my daughters.  With the new 1.4.1 update, the illustrations are especially good, since you can now zoom in them.