Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur

PDF viewing issues - Book reader vs. QuickOffice

Hello

I just purchased a Nook Color and I LOVE it so far. However, I've noticed a strange issue with reading PDF books. If plug my Nook into my PC, and copy a PDF book from one of my technical books (from the CD contained within the book) to my Nook under Books, the PDF opens in QuickOffice, which gives me very basic, limited capabilities when it comes to the PDF books I load. Also, every time I close out of the PDF book, it opens to the very first page every single time. However, if I email the same PDF book to myself, and open the PDF from my Gmail, I'm prompted to open the book in QuickOffice, OR the Book Reader. If I choose Reader, I'm given the full blown capabilities of the Nook with regards to bookmarking, indexing, skipping to different chapters, annotating, etc. I've also tried this with both DRM'd and non-DRM'd PDF books and there is no difference in how they behave.

Is there a way for me to force my Nook Color to open all PDFs in the book reader and not the QuickOffice viewer? This is a huge hindrance for me, and one of the reasons I bought the Nook Color was to use it to carry around all of my technical books with me wherever I go. Can you please provide any insight?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Re: PDF viewing issues - Book reader vs. QuickOffice

[ Edited ]

Mike,

welcome to the Forum and the Nook.  And congrats on finding a 2nd way to force the Nook to use the internal Adobe reader to open PDFs.

All the deficiencies you listed for QuickOffice are correct.  Sadly, the only other way we've found so far to bypass it is to password protect your PDFs.  Then they'll open with Adobe, with all the functionality you are missing.

When the Nook App Store opens at the end of the month, look for a non-crippled version of QuickOffice to be available there... for sale.  The (older) version they've had in the Android market for the past year already supports all this stuff.

- Mark

Actually, if all the devs weren't busy hacking Honeycomb builds, I suspect they could find a way to update some manifest file somewhere on the system partition, which would tell the Nook to keep opening .DOC etc files in QuickOffice, but use the Adobe reader to open .PDFs.  It can't be that hard, but no one has looked into it (probably just removing .PDF from the list of files that QO says it can handle would do the trick... then they'd all default back to Adobe).

Inspired Contributor
Atomant
0 Kudos

Ditto - Congrats on finding another way. 

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip guys on password protecting the PDFs to force them to open in Reader. If I do this, and let's say I bookmark some pages, highlight a few lines, etc in that PDF, does this provide me the same functionality with regards to opening up that book the next time to where I left off? Basically, does this process afford me the same luxuries as with ePub formatted books that would be on my NC?

I also did some more research on these forums yesterday after posting here, and it seems like there have been some successes converting the PDF books to ePub using the Calibre program, but the results seemed mixed. I did notice a lot of people suggesting improvements to the way NC handles side-loaded PDFs, so hopefully on breaks from Honeycomb hacking they can pop in a few updates!

I guess I just have to be patient and see if the next update that comes out month end will address this issue, otherwise, I'm not opposed to going the root route, which I've already done just for fun, but reverted back to test my theories on PDF support.

Thanks for your posts, they were definitely very helpful, and I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one noticing this behavior.

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur

Ok guys, I think I've found a solution that works perfectly for me. This will be a little long winded, but bear with me.

Going on the fact that I could open PDFs in the Reader app from my Gmail, I decided to root my NC again. So I did, and then formatted the SD card so it could be used for additional space. First I tried storing PDF books on the SD card, hoping for the prompt for what program to open them with. No luck. After trying a few more times to put books into different system folders (books vs. documents etc) I got tired and gave up. The next day I installed some Android apps that I use normally on my iPhone, and one of them was Dropbox. Right now all of my PDF books are stored there so I can see them at work and home. I casually clicked on one just as a test to open a file from Dropbox, and BAM! Up popped the prompt to pick QuickOffice or Reader.  !!!!   I clicked Reader, and selected that as the default, and opened up my PDF book. It downloaded a copy to my SD card, and opened it up in reader. So I made some notes, bookmarks, and exited out. Then went back into Dropbox (mind you, I am NOT using the Nook interface at all here), reopened the PDF (which was quick this time since it was already stored on the SD card after the initial download), and my last page read was saved, all bookmarks were saved, and notes/highlights, everything. Plus, every other book I open from Dropbox now opens by default in the Reader app, and my places are saved and all of my notes and things of that sort.

Even though I had to root to get here, this is a perfectly workable solution for me now, since I store my PDF books on Dropbox, and can very easily open them from there every time, without using the Nook interface. It leaves a little to be desired, for example there are no book covers, just a PDF icon, but oh well right?

Hopefully this helps some of you running into the same problem. I know I'm psyched about it! My only question now becomes this: If my NC is smart enough to remember all of my PDF book details when opened in the Reader app from Dropbox, can it be that hard to build this functionality natively into the next NC software update? I hope not!

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Thanks, Mike!

- Mark

Reader 4
BlackBoy88
0 Kudos

Also,  you can use a file manager like astro to open a pdf in the Reader application. However, I can not highlight text. 

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur

Looks like the latest software update did nothing to fix this or add support for it. What a huge bummer.

Mark_OB1

[ Edited ]

mjbrodeur wrote:

Looks like the latest software update did nothing to fix this or add support for it. What a huge bummer.

Mike,

I agree with you that this is a serious disappointment.  Considering that B&N's emphasis on the NC is as an e-reader, it needs to be a really good e-reader, for many document types... not just ePubs.  They also need to focus on making the features, capabilities and reading experience consistent and uniform across document types, in as much as that is possible.

The only thing I can offer is that we should make B&N aware of our concerns, and hope they address them in v1.2.1.  Since there are always a number of small things that need to be corrected in any large new update, which I suspect they're gathering feedback on now, hopefully that revision won't be too far off.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Giving this a bit more thought, the problem that I see is that the currently hardwired default reader for PDFs is Quickoffice.  That version was purposely crippled from it's stock version, for free inclusion on the NC.  Paid versions of QO had the missing features folks have been complaining about, even before the NC was released.  The idea being, and this isn't unreasonable, to provide folks with the basics, and then offer a paid upgrade to a more full-featured version once the App Shop opened.

The problem however is that even if you do buy the enhanced QO, the NC UI shell is still hardwired to the basic QO.  I haven't confirmed this yet, but I suspect it's true.  We can easily ask someone who has bought QO for the DOC editing capabilities to see if directly opening PDFs now links them into the enhanced version or still ties them to the default QO.  I'm guessing that the only way to utilize the PDF improvements in the paid QO is to launch it directly and then open your PDFs from within it... but I could be wrong.

In some sense, this begs the issue though... if you tap on a PDF file, you should be able to decide if you want it opened in the paid QO, or the built-in QO, or the built-in Adobe-based reader, or ezPDF, or whatever else comes along.  Currently, that capability does not exist... not just for PDFs but for any document type.

B&N needs to have Alexy and his team modify this behavior that handles dispatching and launching.

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

Thanks for the detailed replies Mark, I happened to notice that there was another thread on this exact topic that Nook_Engineer (Jeffrey) replied to, which I also did as well so he could get my feedback. I agree with your point that really the only recourse we have is to let B&N know what we're looking for and where we think the NC is still lacking, and hope they provide the functionality in future releases. I would think that giving the user this option wouldn't be that difficult since the capability is there if you email the PDF to yourself and open it that way, but I'm also not a developer and don't know what reasons they would have for not allowing this yet. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for sure and for now, just do what I can to make it work for me the way I need it to. Still love the NC regardless, and it can only get better right?

New User
Xaprb
0 Kudos

This is just a vote to say I want this functionality too.  The demo version of Nook that was in B&N opened a PDF I downloaded from the Web in Reader (asked me what to use to open it), and the version I bought and brought home doesn't prompt me -- just opens in QuickOffice, which is a pretty lame piece of software from what I can tell.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

Re: PDF viewing issues - Book reader vs.. QuickOffice

Free is free and you are limited to the vendors choice. If you purchase the QuckOffice ROR ezPDF app, then with one of those apps running, you can open a PDF with a more robust interface, but it is still lacking when compared to Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.

Acrobat makes very few viewers for portable devices.

I find the lack of ability to filling and  save forms with Right Enabled PDFs to be limiting. The PDF forms user JavaScirpt, so there should be no reason for this not to work.

Contributor
skgoli
0 Kudos

I would really love for the next Nook update to fix this issue with pdf viewing. If it starts working, that would make me not want to root the nook color.

New User
Felix40
0 Kudos

This is terrible, downloaded Quickbooks pro. CANNOT FIND HOW TO MAKE IT THE DEFAULT PDF READER. NOOK COLOR BLOWS!!!  UGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New User
PeevedNookCOLORowner
0 Kudos

I agree! The QuickOffice reader for PDFs makes me hate reading my PDF books and I have quite a few of them too! It would be nice for an update to fix this because now I berely bother to read those files anymore even though I would like to but it's such a hassle. This is the biggest problem I've been having with my nook color, why can't be as easy to read as ePUB, my most important books are in PDF but its dreadful to read on the NC. PLEASE FIX THIS.

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

Ok guys, go back up a few posts by me where I posted how I rooted my NC and loaded my PDF books into Dropbox. When I open a PDF book from Dropbox, I'm prompted to open in QuickOffice OR the Reader app. Now Dropbox is an official app, so this workaround works perfectly without rooting now. You can load your PDF books into Dropbox, install the Dropbox app, and open your PDF books from there to get full PDF Reader support.

Enjoy!!!