flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: Mods - Serious widespread Nook video issue here

Maybe you're new to this whole internet thing, but calling the people trying to help you an idiot isn't going to help much. You're probably going to get banned, actually.

Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Maybe you're new to this whole internet thing, but calling the people trying to help you an idiot isn't going to help much. You're probably going to get banned, actually.

if it were me responding to anothers thread, it would have been simple.

if i felt like spendin a few bux (and an issue i care about) i would purchase a rental ANY MOVIE OR TV SHOW IN NOOK SHOP, and then..

came back to the thread and posted, yes blu box or no, picture displayed just like the one in the shop.

end of story.

and it would not have mattered if their nic was EATME or whatever....................................................................................................................................................................

but hey thats just me.

now last night i rented both redemption (early dig release 3.99) and another 2.99 one (throw away didnt care, forget the name) and both appeared blue generic movie box in both the library and carousel. World war Z which is all over the new release and sale list HAS NO COVER ART.........FOR 20 BUX. 

So instead of banning me FIX THE DAM ISSUE instead of screwing over the thousands of people buyin this movie. Or put this disclaimer in the nook shop when you click buy:

We at BN do not supply cover art for our movies, frankly we dont even allow you to review it. So youll probably see a blue box on your home screen or maybe we'll change it to pink if your female. Want to confirm purchase for $19.99?

Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

Update 1037 AM few min ago BN rep:

Me - Please grab a nook hd+ and purchase video World War Z take a mental snapshot of the box art and go to your library, what do you see?

Rep - blue box

Me- ok please try again go to the shop and purchase video Peeples (new release) let me know what appears on home screen or library

rep - blue box, but the interesting thing is on our demo unit, every movie and tv show on the device now has a blue box.

she will report it, whatever that does.

ALEX YOU READING THIS ? please report and keep us posted.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

BM, what you need to understand is that the whole UV/Video library thing is a work in progress, and not just for B&N.

In our household, we have 4 HD's/HD+s.  Up until yesterday, my original HD was only ever able to get those movies purchased from B&N to show up in the Nook video library, and I had to watch all other movies via the VUDU or Flixster apps. The UV linkage had a lot of issues, and multiple copies (up to 6) of some B&N purchased movies showed up and remain to this day in my UV account. Occasionally, some of my B&N purchased movies would not download to the nook video library also, mostly on heavy server  usage times, I would have to watch the movie through the Flixster, then later, the VUDU app. I could also many times get the movie to download to to my video library by repurchasing the movie through B&N, and after an initial posting charge, the system would remove the charge and change it to free. Of course, when I took this tack, multiple copies of the movie would again show up in our UV account.  I never let myself get upset about these issues because I knew B&N was actually the first tablet maker/video seller to provide this wonderful UV redeeming opportunity to its customers. B&N has never received the credit they deserved for this service.  Plus, when they added substantially to their video library in March through their contract with (Warner Bros?), for a day, over 70 of the new movies were free, and I was able to take advantage of that opportunity.

My hubby's HD+ (which was the second device to linked to my nook video account)  had many of the UV redeemed and DVD/converted through Vudu show up in his video library as they were redeemed (with a large percentage of non B&N movies showing up as unsupported) until about 6 months ago, then all of a sudden any new movies bought through B&N or redeemed via Flixster or VUDU quit showing up in his nook video library.

Four months ago, I bought an HD+, and when it was linked, I was happy to see that almost all movies from B&N, VUDU and Flixster showed up in the Nook video library (with a few exceptions similar to what occurs in VUDU and Flixster). About 15% of the non-B&N  movies showing in my hubby's nook video library as unsupported, showed in my new HD+ as supported.

A month ago I bought another HD and gifted my first HD to my sister. When I linked my new HD to my UV account, almost all of our 460+ movies showed up again in my nook video library, with an additional 15 of the movies previously showing as unsupported in my HD+ video library now showing as supported (most of them were Dreamworks or Disney movies) on the new HD (they still show as unsupported on the other devices). Progress!

At about the same time, B&N finally added the ability to watch videos through their website and on other android devices. I do have to say the web portion is not working for me. On most days, nothing shows up, and on those occasions when the library shows on the web page, I can only page through 2 of the many pages of my movies (with all of the 6 copies of 27 Dresses, duplicate copies of the first 30 movies I bought, etc.), and cannot play any of them on my PC. I strongly suspect it is because of the multiple copies and the sheer size of our video library, but would be interested in hearing from others about their experiences.

Next, B&N added the video apps for tablets and nook Colors, and my other sister, who has a tablet linked to my account now also has video capability. 5 B&N devices are now linked to to my nook video library and UV account.

The latest development occurred yesterday, when all of a sudden, almost all of the movies not previously showing on my first HD and my hubby's HD+ magically appeared in those devices' nook video libraries (455 out of 464). 50 out of 124 of "the magically appearing" videos do not currently have covers.

Last night, I redeemed one UV digital copy of a Blu-Ray and purchased one movie from B&N on one of my other devices, plus two previously redeemed movies that had not downloaded to my newer HD devices also appeared yesterday. Those 4 do not have covers; all other videos continue to have covers.

What with making nook video accessible to other B&N devices, regular android tablets, etc., I'm sure B&N has had additional technical and server issues due to increased demand for video services. Be patient, progress is occurring, and your COVERS WILL COME.

And no, I am not a B&N employee; however, I am a very good and satisfied customer (though book shelving still needs a lot of work, and is worse on the HD models than on the tablets and nook colors)

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Laurie darling :smileywink:

What a wonderful tone you have (energy).

I tend to be hyper, yea Ativan and a closet full of lorazepam helps haha 

:smileywink:

The covers will come? sounds like field of dreams.

anywhoo off to pop 5mg.

atleast all those haveing this issue, IE EVERY CUSTOMER can see here their not alone and can call to report this issue.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Field of dreams was the intended reference!

Scribe
frantastk

Re: PLEASE ANSWER THIS VIDEO QUESTION...MODS

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry you think I lied to you. I am not a liar, thank you very much. You asked if anyone else was having the same problem. You asked if anyone had bought a nook video in the last day or so and if cover art had disappeared from all videos in the library. I was answering your question.

I'm sorry I'm not having your problem, though it seems silly to apologize that my nook is working properly. Maybe it just happens to certain movies. Maybe it just happens to certain accounts. I honestly don't know.

I only have a handful of nook videos. None of my UV movies not bought through BN have ever shown up on my nook at all. They all show on Vudu, and some (not all) show on Flickster, so I watch the non BN UV videos through Vudu.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought you honestly wanted to hear others' experiences. I know better now. I had a screen shot of my nook all ready for you, until you called me a liar, but why bother. You'd probably just accuse me of photo shopping it.

Edited because the formatting went wonky.

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

MyBowelMovement wrote:

so when you bought your DVD they threw a disc at you and told you there was no box, and..thats allright by you. :smileywink:

thanks for confirming the issue however.

when was the last time you went to Walmart, and they sold you a shrinkwrapped new DVD WITHIOUT COVER ART ?

You missed my point entirely. Number one, the movie I got OUTSIDE OF B&N has no art. Number two, another movie does have art, though, according to you, none of them should. And number three, I don't shop at WalMart.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

MBM- I think you need to realize something, fixes take time.  It's not like it's an issue where the cats tail is under the rocking chair and the fix is obvious (don't rock, or move the cat).  It's more like if you cut the green wire the bomb goes off, but if you cut the blue wire then everything is ok, except there are thirty wires of various shades of blue and green.  Instead of hastily cutting wires B&N has to figure out which wire is the right one, then make double sure, then check again, and finally cut the wire.

Of course the bomb wont go off in this case, since really cover art is not going to make or break the video.  It's still the same movie with or without the cover art and you still get to watch the full thing.  Can it be frustrating?  Sure.  Is it something that actually breaks functionality of your Nook?  Nope.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

frantastk wrote:

I'm sorry you think I lied to you. I am not a liar, thank you very much. You asked if anyone else was having the same problem. You asked if anyone had bought a nook video in the last day or so and if cover art had disappeared from all videos in the library. I was answering your question.

I'm sorry I'm not having your problem, though it seems silly to apologize that my nook is working properly. Maybe it just happens to certain movies. Maybe it just happens to certain accounts. I honestly don't know.

I only have a handful of nook videos. None of my UV movies not bought through BN have ever shown up on my nook at all. They all show on Vudu, and some (not all) show on Flickster, so I watch the non BN UV videos through Vudu.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt and thought you honestly wanted to hear others' experiences. I know better now. I had a screen shot of my nook all ready for you, until you called me a liar, but why bother. You'd probably just accuse me of photo shopping it.

you know what, i dont have a clue, usin your post i went and rented 2 movies and blew 7$ so i was a lil ticked.

if your non BN movies are in your UV library, youll need to delink and relink UV account under settin at UVVU your account, or deregister/reformat the nook and they will show up. probably as blue boxes.

Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

nook video widespread issue 5 days no resolution

Issue still exists going on 5 days. No coverart for purchased nook videos
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: nook video widespread issue 5 days no resolution

As I said in your other thread

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

1) Cross posting will not resolve the issue faster.

2) Posting here about an issue which, according to you in a different thread, is now a reported one will not resolve this issue faster.

3) As I said in that other thread fixes take time.  And though I have no idea what the list of issues the dev. team is looking at, I can pretty much promise that one like this which does not break the functionality is not going to be number one on their list to fix.  You can still buy, rent, and watch the movies without issue.  Box art is nice, it's frustrating it's not there, but the video still plays.  And to forstall your inevitiable question, when I do buy a DVD I would be fine with the merchant handing me a plain box with the DVDs inside. 

Additionally cross posting is not going to resolve the issue.

You've brought it to their attention, it will be worked on, it's going to take time.  And we are likely not talking days or weeks here.  The issue, for at least a third time, does not break functionality.  It is not going to be high priority.  This is true of any software dev. team cosmetic issues just don't get pushed to the top of the things to fix list.  Two of those days were also Saturday and Sunday, I don't think you're going to see much happen on either of those days.  Tech support is open, but that doesn't mean the dev. team is there slaving away on code.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

MyBowelMovement wrote:

frantastk wrote:

you know what, i dont have a clue, usin your post i went and rented 2 movies and blew 7$ so i was a lil ticked.

if your non BN movies are in your UV library, youll need to delink and relink UV account under settin at UVVU your account, or deregister/reformat the nook and they will show up. probably as blue boxes.

Yes, my nook account is linked to my UV account,according to my nook. According to the UV website they are not linked. I have erased and deregistered once to try and fix it. It didn't work. My nook won't let me unlink UV once I click to link them.  I don't actually care if my UV movies show up in my nook library or not. I can watch them in other apps and on my tv. I didn't buy the nook for movies. I just thought it was interesting. I do know that linking UV with any device is hit or miss right now because it's so new. I believe that the UV website still calls it a beta service.

I'm not sure why my UV movies would have blue boxes. All my BN movies show cover art right now. That could change. If it does, it wouldn't bother me. I sideload all my books, and for months most of the 400 books I keep on the device didn't have cover art because I didn't have the time to fix it. It honestly didn't bother me. I've fixed  it now, but it hasn't increased my enjoyment in those book one bit. I know not having cover art does bother some people, and for you I do hope BN fixes your cover art as long as it doesn't break something really important to do it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Based on the description of the issue, the fact that no else seems to be having the issue, and the demeanor (and screen name) of the OP, it seems like maybe, just maybe, this is user error, or user setup error.

Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Based on the description of the issue, the fact that no else seems to be having the issue, and the demeanor (and screen name) of the OP, it seems like maybe, just maybe, this is user error, or user setup error.

? user error, what pushin the buy button?

keriflur

User error in (a) configuration, meaning that you changed something on your device and now it's not working because of your change, or (b) setup, meaning that you're having connection issues due to something in the configuration of your home network.

I'm not saying it's definitely one of these things, but it's possible. B&N has a history of having issues that effect a subset of the population, but they're not terribly common.  More often than not, when one person is having issues and other aren't reporting the same issue, the issue is on the user's end - either with the user, the setup, or the device (meaning that something in the device has gone bad).

Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

User error in (a) configuration, meaning that you changed something on your device and now it's not working because of your change, or (b) setup, meaning that you're having connection issues due to something in the configuration of your home network.

I'm not saying it's definitely one of these things, but it's possible. B&N has a history of having issues that effect a subset of the population, but they're not terribly common.  More often than not, when one person is having issues and other aren't reporting the same issue, the issue is on the user's end - either with the user, the setup, or the device (meaning that something in the device has gone bad).

would you, or anyone readin this, rent a movie? if you dont have the blue box then its me. it may be worth mentionin and maybe connected, all apps in the nook shop have lost their screenshots as well.

check it out.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

I've done some more research on this issue. As noted in a prior post in this thread, prior to last Friday, all of our 400+ videos in the video libraries of 2 of our HD devices had video covers. On our other 2 HD devices I was only ever able to get around 130-150 of the 400+ videos to download to the nook video library.

On Friday night, I purchased 1 B&N video and redeemed one UV video. Neither of those has a cover, and both show up as playable in the nook video library. On Sunday,  I used VUDO to convert 10 DVD movies to UV; only those videos that show up as unsupported in the nook video library have covers (4 out of 10).

At the same time last Friday, the videos that would never download to the other two HD's appeared in those devices' nook video libraries. Some of the "magically appearing" backlog had covers, while others had the blue rectangles. After closer examination, it's clear that the "magically appearing" videos with covers on those devices were also the movies that are unsupported in the nook video library.

I've started the thread in the Nook Issues reporting board. If you are finding the same issue, be sure to add to the tally there.

Frequent Contributor
MyBowelMovement

*thank you*
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos