New User
JGarton
0 Kudos

Physical Keyboard Connection?

Is it possible to connect a physical mini-keyboard to the NOOK tablet?

Inspired Correspondent
Eustace2
0 Kudos

Re: Physical Keyboard Connection?

No.

"With Android for Nook, I am a real tablet." The Nook Pinocchio.
Frequent Contributor
Marseilles

The hardware supports it, now it's just a question of driver and software support.  You can encourage B&N to add that support by voting up (laureling) for this suggestion: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-Ideas-Suggestions/Keyboard-Folio/idi-p/1242328

Laurel the external keyboard suggestion.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

JGarton wrote:

Is it possible to connect a physical mini-keyboard to the NOOK tablet?

Android allows for supporting it, but the stock B&N kernel does not support USB host mode ~ that is, to have a USB keyboard plugged in, the Nook Tablet has to act the part of the computer, where now is just programmed to act the part of a flash drive with really fancy display screen.

If you install a kernel that does (CM7 maybe?), and use Nook Tweaks, then you can ~ I've seen reports of Nook Colors running CM7 off their microSD card using a USB keyboard when on the CM7 side, so the Tablet ought to be able to do it as well.

However, just rooting the stock kernel won't do it ~ you need a kernel that supports USB host mode.

Contributor
dachiemom
0 Kudos

Yes- I have purchased such. The small keyboard is available from either Amazon or ebay. But you most also purchase a usb adapter cable- if you go with Amazon- use their cable- if ebay, go with one there. I use the N2A card and Nook Tweaks. If needed- I can go back and look up my item numbers from ebay.

Contributor
smarcin
0 Kudos

Have you actually connected this keyboard to your Nook TABLET? Is it able to type words on the Tablet? I have heard this is possible on the Nook COLOR, but not the TABLET. Are you using the native Nook Tablet OS? Or have you flashed a different ROM, such as CM7, Ice Cream Sandwich or Miui? Or are you running one of these from the SDcard in your Tablet? Could you please explain exactly how you have this keyboard connected to your Tablet? Thank you.

New User
GreenEileen
0 Kudos

Yes, I would love to know if you were able to accomplish using an external keyboard with the Nook TABLET.  I purchased all the correct harware that was recommeded for the Nook COLOR but it would not work.  I don't have the correct kernel nor was I able to download anything that would help.  I am desperate to use my tablet as my "go-to" daily device, but I'm limited because of touch keypad slows me down.  Thanks!

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

dachiemom wrote:

Yes- I have purchased such. The small keyboard is available from either Amazon or ebay. But you most also purchase a usb adapter cable- if you go with Amazon- use their cable- if ebay, go with one there. I use the N2A card and Nook Tweaks. If needed- I can go back and look up my item numbers from ebay.

Yes, please let us know model numbers, so that I could see about getting a tiny keyboard for my Nook Tablet as well.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Reader 4
RamonaKJ
0 Kudos

I love my Nook HD + but I am read to buy an Ipad just because I can use a keyboard with it.  I hate to hunt and peck, I am using the tablet more and more and prefer to type and not hunt and peck.   How can we find out if they plan to offer the keboard accessory in the near future?

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Do a search for the "Bluetooth Keyboard" thread on this board - there are severa that work.