Distinguished Correspondent
moldybagel
0 Kudos

Please Help (Adding E-books to shelf from SD card)

Good evening,

I recently got a Nook tablet (latest software) and am easily able to add books to my shelf that are stored on the Nook itself.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM: I cannot seem to find a way to add e-books to my shelf that are stored on my microSD card. I can open and read them just fine. But unfortunately I cannot find a way to click "add to shelf". 

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I want to keep them on the SD card so I don't fill up all of my Nook space. I like the visual concept of the shelf instead of the file browser on the SD card.

Thank you all!

I love messages! Feel free to message me for help, nook friend requests, to talk, or for any other reason!
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Re: Please Help (Adding E-books to shelf from SD card)

It looks to me like the NT changed the interface to align more with how shelving is done on the Nook Simple Touch.  I'm not very happy with it, prefer the NC UI or something wholly new, but it is what it is.  I've found I need to create my shelves then Edit them.  This opens up a scrolling list of all your books -- including the ones on your SD card -- where you select which books appear on that shelf by checking boxes.  Of course, this means you can have one book on multiple shelves and you may miss one or two books that you wanted on that shelf because you scrolled past them or didn't read their titles right.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
moldybagel
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately it seems I can't select books from my SD card on that list (as they are not shown). These are .epub files that have been legally downloaded from sites that host public domain books.

Any other advice?

Thank you.

I love messages! Feel free to message me for help, nook friend requests, to talk, or for any other reason!
Czechboy
0 Kudos

I have another way you might be able to do it (at least it works for me).  If you select the tiny little sd card icon on the lower left of the screen, it says "click to browse sd content...".  Using the list of folders that's presented to you, find your downloaded ebooks on your sd card.  Once you've found them, if you press and hold on any of the files, it shows you a window with some selections Read, View Details, etc., one of the choices is Add to Shelf.  Mind you, it seems you can only add these titles to "My Shelves", but you can add as many shelves as you want (I think).  Then to see the shelf with your book additions on it, go to your library, then at the far right there's a button that says My Stuff", select My Shelves from there and your books will be on the shelf you created.  You have to add them one at a time, but at least you can do it.  Hope this helps. 

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
moldybagel
0 Kudos

Sadly im not given the option to add to shelf when i press and hold on books from my sd card. Maybe im just out of luck.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I am able to load books from my SD card.  How are you trying to do this?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Frequent Contributor
darkquota
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

I am able to load books from my SD card.  How are you trying to do this?

I do not use shelves, but I tried them out just to test and found I could add books stored on the SD card to a shelf. I have the books stored in "My Files" => "Books" folder.
moldybagel
0 Kudos

It seems I am the only one who cannot add my SD card books to my shelves. Could it be a memory card issue? I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help guys. I just seem to be stuck here.
Inspired Correspondent
Sandan53
0 Kudos

Check to see what folder your books are in.  They should be under my files/books on sd card.

Everyone says that they are listening but, no one remembers what was said.
moldybagel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Sorry this is all one paragraph....I apparently cannot use line breaks? Tried in chrome, IE, and Firefox...no luck. Here is a detailed description of my problem. I have been using all the advice given...still no luck. I go to the file browser.... Memory Card---xMy Files----xBooks----xEpub Book (Book opens just fine) When I click and hold on the file I only get these options * Read * Clear Default Launcher * Delete If I put the e-books on the internal storage on the tablet itself, I am given the option to add to shelf. I wanted to add books to my shelves from my SD card to save space on the tablet itself.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

moldy,

It sounds like you are trying to add the books on your SD card to shelves while connected to your PC. You  need to do this only from your nook tablet. Go to "library", tap on "my Stuff", then "My files", then tap on memory card, My files, books. Then tap and hold to get the option to add to your shelves to come up.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Reader 4
LittleCastle
0 Kudos

I had this same problem and read somewhere that it could be fixed by turning the Tablet off and then back on again.  It did in fact solve the problem for me.  It seemed to refresh the Tablet and my books on the SD card then had the option to "add to shelf".

moldybagel
0 Kudos

I am doing this directly from my Nook while it is not connected to my PC. I will try one last effort: turn off the nook,to remove the SD, reformat it, put the files back on the nook in the book folder, insert the card, restart the nook.

Wish me luck.

moldybagel
0 Kudos

UPDATE: It took an entire removal of the SD, reformatting, adding the files again, and then restarting the nook after all of that for this to work.

Thank you to EVERYONE who made any effort to contribute to this thread and to help me. I am so relieved!

Have a great week, everyone!