Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: PreOrdering Policy rediculous

robdrob wrote:

I think the stores are holding them intentionally.  When I called yesterday to ask about having in stock I was told a two week delay. When I mentioned that I had reserved it I was told "Oh then we should have them in by Tuesday and you will get a phone call as well as an email"  

Seems suspicious to me.

Or they are only expecting the number they pre-ordered on Tuesday and their next shipment will be two weeks beyond that.  

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

The policy isn't ridiculous; it's inconsistent

Newcraft wrote:....

"We don't have any.  We only had six shipped."

What?

She consults the Nook sales clerk, the same person who took our pre-order information and told us it was set.  He takes out a printed roster with more than 20 names and addresses crossed off - which meant they've had more than six in the store and have gone home with their owners. 

You are assuming that every name crossed off, was a sale.  We know from another post, that someone bought one early because of two cancellations at a store.  I was on the list at my store, and I planned a detailed exam beforehand, to determine if I would buy it.  If it had not passed muster, I would have left without one, with my name crossed off.

The problem with the policy isn't that it's ridiculous; it's that it is inconsistent:

• One store selling them when they get them.
  • Another store (mine), holding them until May1 (the 1st official release date).
  • Other stores not selling any until around May 7 (the 2nd official release date).

To make all you who don't have one yet, feel better (remember, this is not a medical device that will save your life), I should note that almost every item manufactured goes through a "reliability curve" that peaks sometime after initial release.  The increase can be due to a number of factors, including fixing early problems, manufacturing procedures being ironed out, etc.  There is a decrease after that, due to more factors, including availability of cheaper (sometimes less reliable) parts, company focus on the next product, etc.  I'll bet there is a name for this phenomenon among MBAs, but I don't know what it is.

As a result, those of you getting the Nook Glow after the first wave, just might be getting a better product.  Consider the following hypothetical scenario:  The first manfacturing run reveals a defect that causes premature failure in (say) 5% of the Glows, so B&N stops production (this could account for the change in official release date), fixes the defect, and restart mantufacturing, with the idea of quickly replacing any Glows from the 1st run that have problems, with new ones from the 2nd run, and accepting returns from the 1st run, well beyond the normal 14 days.

So, we've never heard of this happening before ???

As a side note, with regard to the claimed difference in contrast between the Nook Touch and the Nook Glow:

• Some claim that the difference is virtually unnoticeable.  Today, I received back my two Nook Touches that were out on loan (neither has a screen protector), and compared them to my Nook Glow for contrast differences.  In my case, the difference was so slight that at one point I had to look at the device edge (the Glow has a silver edge) to see which was which.
  • Some claim that the diffference is slight but not a factor.
  • Some claim that the difference is quite noticeable but usable.
  • Some claim that the difference is enough to not buy the Glow.

Now, unless everyone who disagrees with me is crazy, I would offer the following possible explanations:

1. There is a difference in vision between the observers.
  2. There is a difference in room lighting between the observations.
  3. There is a difference between the individual units.  We know that some comparison units were demos, and some were purchased products.

Now, I would suggest, that it's a combination of #1 and #2, but it could also be a difference in #3 (different manufacturing runs), couldn't it?

There's a saying that if you live on the cutting edge, you will bleed once in a while.  There's something to be said for not getting the very first units shipped.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Re: The policy isn't ridiculous; it's inconsistent

Something I have to keep reminding my wife of: Don't be upset with someone elses good fortune.

If you were't expecting to get your NSTG until the 7th, there's no reason you should be upset with someone else getting theirs before hand.  OTOH, if you were expecting to already get it and it isn't here, feel free to be disappointed.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Contributor
Newcraft
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Newcraft wrote:....

"We don't have any.  We only had six shipped."

What?

She consults the Nook sales clerk, the same person who took our pre-order information and told us it was set.  He takes out a printed roster with more than 20 names and addresses crossed off - which meant they've had more than six in the store and have gone home with their owners. 

You are assuming that every name crossed off, was a sale.  We know from another post, that someone bought one early because of two cancellations at a store.  I was on the list at my store, and I planned a detailed exam beforehand, to determine if I would buy it.  If it had not passed muster, I would have left without one, with my name crossed off.

The problem with the policy isn't that it's ridiculous; it's that it is inconsistent:

• One store selling them when they get them.
  • Another store (mine), holding them until May1 (the 1st official release date).
  • Other stores not selling any until around May 7 (the 2nd official release date).

To make all you who don't have one yet, feel better (remember, this is not a medical device that will save your life), I should note that almost every item manufactured goes through a "reliability curve" that peaks sometime after initial release.  The increase can be due to a number of factors, including fixing early problems, manufacturing procedures being ironed out, etc.  There is a decrease after that, due to more factors, including availability of cheaper (sometimes less reliable) parts, company focus on the next product, etc.  I'll bet there is a name for this phenomenon among MBAs, but I don't know what it is.

As a result, those of you getting the Nook Glow after the first wave, just might be getting a better product.  Consider the following hypothetical scenario:  The first manfacturing run reveals a defect that causes premature failure in (say) 5% of the Glows, so B&N stops production (this could account for the change in official release date), fixes the defect, and restart mantufacturing, with the idea of quickly replacing any Glows from the 1st run that have problems, with new ones from the 2nd run, and accepting returns from the 1st run, well beyond the normal 14 days.

So, we've never heard of this happening before ???

____________________________________--

None of the "it could be a better product" pie-in-the-sky hypothesis explains why BN staff would outright lie about their supply.  Sorry, it just doesn't make up for a poor customer service experience.

The list the Nook clerk consulted had only three names that weren't crossed off.  It was THE master pre-order list he was looking at to confirm if my name was still on there, when it wasn't.  I understand some cancellations might happen - but there would have had to have been a MAJORITY of their pre-order list marked off as cancellations in order for your theory to be true, and that really doesn't hold water.

No one is coveting the Glow as if it's some life-saving device - what you're not understanding is the frustration of being lied to.  There's a huge difference.  If you truly don't know when your stock is coming in, great, I can dig it.  Things happen.  But don't consult a 30-item list of crossed-off names, and tell me you only sold 6 Nooks from it, offer to put me on the pre-order list for the second batch, but don't have a clule when it will be in, and then thirdly, proceed to lie to me about the Nook not being available to order directly online, when I know for a fact from having looked online myself that this wasn't true.

They either want to sell a Nook or they don't.  And regardless of whether it's a corporate flub, or if the individual stores are deliberately holding back, they're losing sales from the way they're handling this roll-out.  I'd rather patronize my local store, but I have a hard time rewarding incompetency.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

DeanGibson wrote:

[...] As a side note, with regard to the claimed difference in contrast between the Nook Touch and the Nook Glow:

• Some claim that the difference is virtually unnoticeable.  Today, I received back my two Nook Touches that were out on loan (neither has a screen protector), and compared them to my Nook Glow for contrast differences.  In my case, the difference was so slight that at one point I had to look at the device edge (the Glow has a silver edge) to see which was which.
  • Some claim that the diffference is slight but not a factor.
  • Some claim that the difference is quite noticeable but usable.
  • Some claim that the difference is enough to not buy the Glow.

Now, unless everyone who disagrees with me is crazy, I would offer the following possible explanations:

1. There is a difference in vision between the observers.
  2. There is a difference in room lighting between the observations.
  3. There is a difference between the individual units.  We know that some comparison units were demos, and some were purchased products.

Now, I would suggest, that it's a combination of #1 and #2, but it could also be a difference in #3 (different manufacturing runs), couldn't it?

I'd really like to see a blind test with NST owners. Place a cardboard template over a NST and NSTG so only the screen was showing, and with the glow light off (obviously). Ask them to tell which is which  without cheating, and identify which they prefer. I personally couldn't notice anything different between the two.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Newcraft wrote:

[...] No one is coveting the Glow as if it's some life-saving device - what you're not understanding is the frustration of being lied to.  

I've gotten used to it after flying US Air for many years. :smileyhappy:

I agree it's frustrating, but I worked enough retail starting out to understand the no-win position they find themselves in. They don't want to lie, but they don't want to piss anybody off and get complaints.

I know more than once, we had a waiting list of reserves, and I'd come in to find my weasely cohorts had slipped some to their pals, or managers had grabbed units for other stores. It's not usually the clerk's fault.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

I'd really like to see a blind test with NST owners. Place a cardboard template over a NST and NSTG so only the screen was showing, and with the glow light off (obviously). Ask them to tell which is which  without cheating, and identify which they prefer. I personally couldn't notice anything different between the two.

I agree.

I did a Google search for "Nook GlowLight contrast", and clicked on one of those articles which claimed lower contrast, and had comparison images: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/04/24/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-review/

Look at the comparison images.  To me, the images with the higher contrast are the GlowLight ones (the light is not on).

A year ago, I bought a Kindle DX (and returned it for issues unrelated to this thread), and I used a camera/lens to measure and compare the "white" background to that of paper.  Since I'm happy with the Glow, I'm not especially inclined to repeat a similar measurement (eg, using a "spot metering" technique) to actually measure the difference, but it would be interesting to find out why some people notice it much more than others.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

I did a Google search for "Nook GlowLight contrast", and clicked on one of those articles which claimed lower contrast, and had comparison images: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/04/24/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-review/

Look at the comparison images.  To me, the images with the higher contrast are the GlowLight ones (the light is not on).

Did you notice that the captions under the comparison images have apparently got it backwards? They say glowlight on the right, NST on the left, but the light gray border clearly shows that the glowlight is actually on the left. To my eye, the screens of the devices on the right in those images have better contrast, and those are the original NSTs.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Newcraft wrote:
... what you're not understanding is the frustration of being lied to.  ... and then thirdly, proceed to lie to me about the Nook not being available to order directly online, when I know for a fact from having looked online myself that this wasn't true.

Oh, I understand the frustration.  A lot of people (salespersons included) are reluctant to say, "I don't know", and so they say the first thing that comes into their heads.  Your messages indicate how accurate that often is.

About a year ago, I bought a used Nook Color, which had been originally purchased with an extended warranty.  Since the warranty literature indicated that the warranty was transferrable, I took it to the local store to effect the transfer.  The first B&N employee (who turned out to be a manager) told me flatly that the warranty was not transferrable.

Not being satisfied with that explanation, I contacted another employee, who contacted B&N internal support, and confirmed that the warranty was indeed transferrable.  That and other interactions with the first B&N employee that day, led me to write a letter to the B&N regional manager.

As to multiple cancellations on a waiting list, it is not uncommon for individuals to contact every store or web site that gets a new product and be put on a waiting list, and only buy from the first store/site that has it.  I currently am on three waiting lists for a new camera, and I'm not even all that excited about being first.  I will only buy (at most) one. I didn't do that for the Nook Glow, but I thought about doing it.  This is the classic "airline overbooking" problem.

I agree with you about the incompetence.  Having lost your name on the list would be at the top of my frustration list.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Contrast and compare.

Sun_Cat wrote:

Did you notice that the captions under the comparison images have apparently got it backwards? They say glowlight on the right, NST on the left, but the light gray border clearly shows that the glowlight is actually on the left. To my eye, the screens of the devices on the right in those images have better contrast, and those are the original NSTs.

You are right!  So, why are some of not seeing that in our Nook Glows?  Not challenging you, but just wondering.  Maybe tomorrow, when it's very bright, I will try another comparison.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Contrast and compare.

DeanGibson wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

You are right!  So, why are some of not seeing that in our Nook Glows?  Not challenging you, but just wondering.  Maybe tomorrow, when it's very bright, I will try another comparison.

I haven't seen an actual glowlight up close and personal. I just have my NST. One of these days I'll stop by a store and see for myself.

I think the photos in that article are very problematic in that the ambient lighting doesn't seem to be exactly the same. Most of the comparison photos I've seen suffer from the same defect. It would take rigorously controlled conditions to produce photos guaranteed to be comparable. Most amateur photographers wouldn't have the equipment or know-how.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

Maybe tomorrow, when it's very bright, I will try another comparison.

OK, I tried in bright, direct sunlight, where the rays of the sun are parallel and thus the lighting is identical.  At first I thought there was no difference, but on very close examination, I could see that the "white" background on the Nook Glow was very, very, very slighly darker than on a Nook Touch (without screen protector).  If I hadn't been looking intently for it, I wouldn't have seen it.

Additional possible factors:

1. As I recall, the original Nook Touch suffered from background "residue" of the previous image, which was only fully cleared (as I understand it) every five screen renderings.  I also thought I heard that most of this problem was fixed in later software releases.  So, who knows what software revision the reviewers were using in the Nook Touch.  Given that reviewers only spend a minimal amount of time with each device, it's possible that's a factor.
  2. To see if the contrast comparison in my case was due to incomplete screen rendering (#1 above), I changed pages a couple times on both devices.  I saw no difference.
  3. With I think one early purchase exception, I think all the actual purchasers here of a Nook Glow found little or no difference in the contrast comparison.  It seems that larger differences were reported in store (demo) comparisons, and in the reviews.  These units may have been pre-production devices.
  4. Who knows if e-Ink screens slighly "age" with use.  Apparently not, but LCD displays do;  see http://powerelectronics.com/mag/607PET06a.pdf and http://www.luxresearchinc.com/blog/coveragearea/printed-electronics/
keriflur
0 Kudos

People "see" differently, because we see with our minds, not our eyes.  So it's completely possible that some people won't see the difference, some will see the difference only in certain light, and some will see the difference in all lights and find it so glaring that they can't stand to use the less-contrasty device.

IMO nobody here is "wrong".  We all see what we see, and the discrepancies and disagreements are just based on what and how we each see.  Even if we could get an accurate reading of contrast difference and determine what, for a fact, the difference is, if any, it wouldn't change what people see when they look at the device.

As for the differences showing up in images but not to the naked eye - most digital cameras increase contrast, and unless a grey card or light meter is used, the light colorbalance can be a factor.  Plus, we tend to notice things in images that we don't notice in real life.  This is why you can check yourself in a mirror three times and still miss that piece of spinach in your teeth that shows up when your friend snaps a photo of you.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

People "see" differently, because we see with our minds, not our eyes.  So it's completely possible that some people won't see the difference, some will see the difference only in certain light, and some will see the difference in all lights and find it so glaring that they can't stand to use the less-contrasty device.

gradient_illusion.jpg

The Nook Glow is on the left. See http://www.123opticalillusions.com/pages/gradient_illusion.php

Even better:

roustabout
0 Kudos

I do see a difference between the NST and the glow.  

I actually have two glowworms to compare (but lent my brother the NST yesterday) and find that the glowworm which has the most even illumination also has better screen contrast, but that both take a subtle hit.  Quite possibly the screen protector was not as well applied to mine as it was to my girlfriend's. 

In full sunlight, the effect is less noticable to me than it is indoors (or perhaps I should say "less annoying.")  I miss the crispness in my RSS reader most;  I think that that reader may normally do more with greyscaling fonts than either fbreader or the stock reader.  (In part because it is trying to tell me what is text and what is hyperlink.)

I strongly suspect that the author will offer a bold or black font fairly soon once he is asked for it.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a separate Nook screensaver folder with only 2 screens: 1 black and 1 white.  I use them to make it easier for my tired old eyes to clean the screen.  Black highlights dust.  White highlights all sorts of "stuff" that gets on the screen.  Quick to activate and easy to change screens.

The NST/Glow comparisons might be easier with a 1 color screensaver displayed on each device. How "white is white" and how "black is black", with no distracting text. :smileywink:

Reader 2
Arminasil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Back on topic, I checked in today at my local BN (which I preordered at around the 24th) and they still say they don't have a shipment.  The big "sold out" sticker is all over their signs.  I couldn't get much of an answer, b/c the person moved on to help other customers before he could give me a straight answer on when they were expected.  Ran out of time and had to come back to work.  :smileysad:  My buddy that preordered online after me got his late last week.

Contributor
AlexJouJou
0 Kudos

I have been checking as I did put my name on the list but my local BN says no idea when they will be in. So I just ordered one online. I figured why hassle with waiting...though I wanted it today. Most of my friends have theirs already! I'll admit to being frustrated until the guy just finally told me "hey we have no idea" and I was like OK why didn't you say that? So I ordered online.

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlexJouJou wrote:

I have been checking as I did put my name on the list but my local BN says no idea when they will be in. So I just ordered one online. I figured why hassle with waiting...though I wanted it today. Most of my friends have theirs already! I'll admit to being frustrated until the guy just finally told me "hey we have no idea" and I was like OK why didn't you say that? So I ordered online.

I wish I had ordered online. I was just told again "no, they didn't come in. We're expecting them any day!" I've been expecting it any day since others got them on the 25th of April. I've dropped in at the store, I've called, and everyone has a different answer. One Nook desk lady last Monday told me, "Yes! They're here!" I was all excited as she was digging around under the counter for one. But she couldn't find them---because what was "here" was two demos. Which says to me they haven't got a clue. At least the guy I asked on Friday said they had been expecting them no later than the first and had no idea when they'll actually come in, but they were hoping for "some time next week"! I would say they are definitely inconsistent in the way they handle new product releases...there have been issues with previous Nook releases too. I thought I would never get my tablet...preordered online the minute the link went live (refreshed the page until it let me order) and I still didn't get it until the store here had had them for 10 days. B&N makes exceptional ereaders but they are terrible at actually getting them in the hands of the consumers.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Reader 2
MarknDC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I reserved one in the DC store (#62 on the list) and was told Manhattan got theirs on Friday and dc would get ours Monday and to expect a call to come pick it up. I didn't get a call today (monday) so out of curiousity I called 3 different times and spoke to 3 different people. One said they didn't come in and wouldn't be in until Thursday. Another said they came in but hadnt been unpacked and only 16 had come in. Another said they did not come in and they had no idea when they'd arrive. I checked the website for In store pickup. The union station store was listed as having them in stock. I called and he said no they had not come in but we're taking reservations for when they do arrive.. It's not a huge deal to me since I have a kindle that I love but was interested in getting the glowlight since the light is so cool. But it does seem BN has a big problem with internal communication and marketing. Id be pretty pissed if had my heart set on a nook I reserved for delivery Monday only to be told it didn't arrive and they had no idea when it would show. So it's a fail for BN and a victory for Amazon who seems to know how to manage the supply chain.