Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

Re: Contrast and compare.

yea I agree this has been handled poorly by store staff, I live near 3 stores & all had different stories, from next week till call later today, I did & got no & they had no idea when, who know but talk about having a bad taste in one's mouth, this is beyond anything I have ever seen in store sales...

Frequent Contributor
Painterroy
0 Kudos

Re: PreOrdering Policy rediculous

Ok, latest update. It's now May 7 the date it was supposed to be available & still no Nooks at my B&N. So a lot of people got some last week & now a lot of us still don't have one. If Best Buy or target gets them in sooner, I'm buying from them first. 

Roy Evan Burstiner
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I just had a chat with our local BN.,  They sold out last week and do not know when they will get more stock. 

The person I spoke to made it sound as if the first manufacturing run may have sold out entirely - she mentioned something about BN needing to make more. 

It is also possible that enough units in run 1 had uneven lighting or other issues that production slowed down while they sorted that out - the screen protector fitting process definitely varied between the two samples I preordered.

Would folks rather have the device immediately?  Of course - unless there's a manufacturing issue and you wind up with one of the X % that didn't really pass QC... 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

To me, the key takeaway here is to order online, not reserve in store, or try to buy available stock in store.  At least that way you are guaranteed a unit, for sure (because its paid for).

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Re: PreOrdering Policy ridiculous

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

To me, the key takeaway here is to order online, not reserve in store, or try to buy available stock in store.  At least that way you are guaranteed a unit, for sure (because its paid for).

To me, the key is to reserve a new Nook in each local store in your area, whether or not you are sure you want one.

In addition, if you are sure you want one, order it online.  If the online comes in first, you are done.  If a store gets one first, you attempt to cancel your online order.  If that succeeds (it takes less than an hour to get the eMail confirming cancellation), you buy the one in the store;  otherwise, you wait a couple days for the online order to reach you.

That's what I did with the Nook Tablet (my online cancellation was successful), because I wanted one soon (I only reserved in one store, despite their being six stores within 20 miles).  With my Nook Glow, it wasn't that important, and I just made one local reservation.

Now this is not unfair to other customers, because if anything they get a device earlier than expected, due to the cancellations.  If B&N thinks it's unfair to them, well then, have a consistent policy that doesn't entice customers to "game" the order system.

I am a bit surprised that they are out of stock.  I found it wierd that they announced a "$20 off sale" on the Nook Touch on the day the Nook Glow was supposed to be available;  I was wondering if that would discourage Nook Glow sales.  Apparently it has not.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
AlexJouJou

MarkinDC - that's the same store I originally talked to in DC. I also called the Union Station store and they said the same thing. I didn't try the Arlington one since I'm not driving all the way down there.

Mine says anticipated ship date today. If it ships that will be great. If not I'll wait. I have 3 Kindle's - this is my first foray into Nookland and since I can read just fine on my Kindle's all is well. 

The biggest thing IMHO for BN is to manage expectations. Underpromise and overdeliver. They tend to do the opposite which is a problem in retail. I think most of us (maybe not all) would have been fine being told this is an initial offering - we may sell out in which case we will let you know. These are anticipated dates and sometimes things do come up. I don't personally care how they do pre orders - I just want as much honesty as possible surrounding the process. It is all about the communication (or lack thereof). If they are not providing info to their stores then shame on them. Releases of major products should be a high priority for the VP's and others - Nook's in hands of folks means $$ in BN pocket. They are not just a one time never gonna see the customer again product. Although not on the same scale it reminds me of Target's disasterous website redesign last fall. Had BN managed the expectations of all of us by being honest and underpromising and IF they had delivered early we'd be overjoyed.

As it stands though it's a bit of a black mark for me. I mean most of my friends got their's already. Even on this board lots of posts of "I got my NST Glow Light". No offense to those who get them but managing this release means that I think poorly of the fact some people got them a week or more ahead of schedule and the rest of us have no idea where they are. No bueno.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Dean writes "I am a bit surprised that they are out of stock."

I am also.  I'm wondering if they didn't hit a production glitch.  From what we are hearing, online is sold out, most stores sold out quickly and do not yet know when they will be restocked.  I think that your observation about first-out-of-the-gate devices and the variability I noticed may reflect a QC issue that is being remedied.

Hopefully faster than the Rasberry Pi issue which resulted in the first 10k units or so needing to have their network jacks manually replaced (but the rp project doesn't have BN's budget or MS' recent cash infusion.)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

keriflur wrote:

To me, the key is to reserve a new Nook in each local store in your area, whether or not you are sure you want one.

In addition, if you are sure you want one, order it online.  If the online comes in first, you are done.  If a store gets one first, you attempt to cancel your online order.  If that succeeds (it takes less than an hour to get the eMail confirming cancellation), you buy the one in the store;  otherwise, you wait a couple days for the online order to reach you.

This is a lot of effort for a device that displays files, IMO.  When my device shows up, the last thing I want to do is call around to a bunch of stores cancelling orders.

Contributor
bakersdozen12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I didn't have any problems at all getting one last night.  Just walked into the store and bought one; never signed up to be on a preorder list.  I just did a quick search to see if they are still in stock where I live (Salem, NH), and yes, they are, but the stores in the towns around where I live are sold out. I guess it just depends on your location.  My guess is, though, that they are just high in demand, and like anything high in demand (like Nintendos, etc), it is inevitable that they will be hard to find.

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Well...that's what I did for my Nook Tablet. Hit the refresh button until it let me order so I know I was an early order...but still my local B&N store got the Tablets in 10 days before I got my preorder delivered.

Trying to be a smarty, this time I made a reservation at the store. And...it is now May 8 and my B&N still hasn't gotten them in. So it's inconsistent. They do not have the best track record at handling releases. This is just more same-o, same-o from them; every release has had issues.They just don't seem to learn from past mistakes.

Will I go ahead and get the device if it ever comes into my store? Yes, because I really want it...I do a lot of reading in low light and this will be perfect for me. No more carrying a booklight (and extra batteries!) in my purse. I will love it! If it ever shows up.

Am I annoyed? You bet I am!

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

keriflur wrote:

The other alternative is not to have to own an item on the day it was released and wait a while.  That would also allow others to find the bugs and not start the clock ticking on your return period.  Stupid thought I know... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

The other alternative is not to have to own an item on the day it was released and wait a while.  That would also allow others to find the bugs and not start the clock ticking on your return period.  Stupid thought I know... :smileywink:

Hush yo mouth! :smileywink:

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Contributor
AlexJouJou
0 Kudos

My order (online) now shows shipped. Still no sign of the little buggers on the street roundabouts my way...but my order shipped which was my expectation for an online order that did not indicate it was sold out or back ordered or whatever. 

I'd just rather have them say, from the first, we expect this to be a high desire item that may sell out. Get your pre order in now or order online. I do think they need to manage release dates in the stores...If they anticipated a 5/7 date they should have had them in all stores by a certain date to be sure. I mean when Harry Potter books went on sale and I went to the night time release of the books they had enough for everyone who pre ordered. They had gotten them in before. I ALSO think if you are doing a release day then hold everyone to release day. 

To be honest I got more irritated and frustrated with the fact that some folks got theirs and some folks didn't and there doesn't seem to be anything you could do about it to get it to happen. I mean some folks got theirs last week...yet they are still MIA in many stores. That to me is mismanagement of a release. It doesn't seem fair, a concept I am pretty attached too. 

JMHO. I'm very much looking forward to getting my unit because I read with light (I use my K3 with the lighted cover) about 90% of the time I'm reading...so an internal type light that is not backlit to me is a very big huge huge deal. Since I read 1-2 books a day on average it is even a bigger deal to me than a casual reader who reads 1/2 hr a day. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlexJouJou wrote:

My order (online) now shows shipped. Still no sign of the little buggers on the street roundabouts my way...but my order shipped which was my expectation for an online order that did not indicate it was sold out or back ordered or whatever.

When did you order?

I'm wondering if the online orders weren't prioritized over the stores.  It wouldn't surprise me, as those are paid and the store reservations are, well, reservations only.

Contributor
AlexJouJou
0 Kudos

I didn't order until 5/5...last Saturday. I do have my name on the list at the store as that was my preferred way to get it. There is no cost differential since I pay tax when I order online. 

Not sure what that says about the stores that have not gotten their orders yet or the status. I checked and everything is still showing out of stock. 

Reader 2
MarknDC
0 Kudos

Yeah this whole release would be an interesting case study for an MBA marketing class. As an experiment I posted a snippy message on BNs Facebook page similar to what I had posted here, thinking who knows - some high level exec might see my post and give me the inside scoop on how to get a nook glow. Instead crickets chirped. A few other people chimed in about their frustration but no official comment from bn. In fact i think my comment vanished. There doesn't seem to be many blog posts on the tech sites about other people being frustrated so maybe it's just a handful of us? Or maybe they didn't sell many nooks in the first place. I didn't expect an IPad-like media extravaganza but when kindles are launched there is usually big fuss when customers start to receive them. So far all is quiet. Odd that the website says "ships in 24 hours". On amazon, following a launch they'd say there'd be a 2 week delay while they replenish the stock. Also interesting that the web site says Manhatten has same day delivery. If they have them in NYC can't they ups a few cartons to DC and other east coast cities? For all we know there is a huge unopened carton of nooks in the back room of BN under a Barista's poncho. :smileyhappy:. Oh well I was hoping to have the glow for a 5 hour flight on thurs. Kindle will go instead and then I'll think about getting the nook when I return. Good luck all! :smileyhappy:
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

keriflur wrote:

That's what I did with the Nook Tablet (my online cancellation was successful), because I wanted one soon (I only reserved in one store, despite their being six stores within 20 miles).  With my Nook Glow, it wasn't that important, and I just made one local reservation.

Now this is not unfair to other customers, because if anything they get a device earlier than expected, due to the cancellations.  If B&N thinks it's unfair to them, well then, have a consistent policy that doesn't entice customers to "game" the order system.

I am a bit surprised that they are out of stock.  I found it wierd that they announced a "$20 off sale" on the Nook Touch on the day the Nook Glow was supposed to be available;  I was wondering if that would discourage Nook Glow sales.  Apparently it has not.

Consumer reports, in their Apr 24 article on the Nook Glow said, that they would begin shipping early, which is what seems to have happened, but that  " the company expects only limited quantities of the Nook with GlowLight to be available in its stores starting in early May."  And Due to "very strong pre-order demand," says B&N, it recommends ordering immediately if you want the best shot at getting a new Nook by Mother's Day, May 13.

So there was knowledge in April that the pre-orders apparently exceeded expectations and, even though they would begin shipping early, it would be in limited quantities.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:
... the key is to reserve a new Nook in each local store in your area, whether or not you are sure you want one.

This is a lot of effort for a device that displays files, IMO.  When my device shows up, the last thing I want to do is call around to a bunch of stores cancelling orders.

I was just suggesting a procedure for someone who "had" to have one early;  I would think most people would only spend the effort to reserve in one store.

In my case with the NT, I really wanted one early, but I only made a reservation at one store (which came in before the online order shipped).  In the case with the Nook Glow, I didn't even bother to place the online order, but I did put my name on one store list quite early.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader
pablogordon
0 Kudos

So for those frustrated with the stores not getting the Glowlights in, I had a similar experience here in Atlanta.  I pre-ordered early in-store, but have been calling daily with no sign of if or when these might arrive at my local store. 

So  yesterday, I decided on a whim to order it online, and I noticed that the B&N website was no longer showing any wait time (it says ships in 24 hours).  I placed my order yesterday around 4pm, and then got a confirmation that it had been shipped late last night.  When I tracked the package this morning, it was already out for delivery here in Atlanta!  It made it from New Jersey to Atlanta in less than 24 hours after I placed my order.  So needless to say I highly recommend ordering online for those wanting to get there new Nook before the weekend, and save the frustration of checking daily with the stores.  Good luck!

Contributor
bakersdozen12
0 Kudos

Personally, I think its just certain stores that are having problems with getting them.  The store in the town where I live has them in stock currently, for anyone who wants to buy them (pre-ordered or not).  I bought one on Monday (without pre-ordering), and they still have them in stock today.  I feel bad for those that cannot get them in their local stores, but I agree with the other posted, its probably better to order online if you want yours as soon as possible.